PDA

View Full Version : I hope Landry comes back for his senior year

EatLeadCommie
11/20/2011, 03:58 PM
I have been one of his most vociferous critics, but in my opinion he has been great this year, even in our losses. Yeah, he had a pick last night, but it wasn't a boneheaded pick...just one that he threw a bit to the right and a bit too early. In this year where we have underachieved in several aspects, he has made mostly smart decisions and had more than a few "wow" throws. I think he could definitely use another year of seasoning at the college level, and I hope he sticks around. If he doesn't, I think we are looking at a long, hard slog next year.

Peach Fuzz
11/20/2011, 04:00 PM
I just hope BV goes. LJ may stay if he pleases.

BigTip
11/20/2011, 04:02 PM
I just hope BV goes. LJ may stay if he pleases.

"Thank you Peach Fuzz"
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID50656/images/ljones.jpg

cantwait48
11/20/2011, 04:14 PM
he did fling one into quintiple coverage on that final TD drive

EatLeadCommie
11/20/2011, 04:26 PM
he did fling one into quintiple coverage on that final TD drive
Yeah, and I shook my head at that. To his credit, there was a window there. I've seen much worse decisions from Jason White. One in the USC game that was intercepted and one in the UCLA game that was thrown up for grabs but caught.

chad
11/20/2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to come back if I was him, or any other senior that could get drafted at a decent position. Look at how many star players we've had injured after coming back for their senior season...Sure things still worked out great for some of them, but they were also arguably greater players than a very good Landry.

The Broncos were at the game last night scouting him, and if they're looking closely at him, you know others are too. There are plenty of teams looking for a QB to develop and Landry is likely the 3rd/4th QB pick in a draft that will see 4 go in the first round. (Luck, Barkley, Landry, and Griffin). Early mock drafts have Landry going 10-15 first round which isn't something to sneeze at. The one thing I don't know and haven't fully considered is what QB's that would come out after 2012 would challenge him in the draft.

I'm not necessarily saying I want Landry gone, but I'm not seeing OU as a national championship contending team next year (fatalistic thinking I suppose) and given the "down" year (hopefully consisting of another Big12 championship), we might as well develop our next starting QB.

Edit: removed the error as pointed out in posts below.

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 05:35 PM
I don't think hes going to leave his girlfriend. Love is blind.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to come back if I was him, or any other senior that could get drafted at a decent position. Look at how many star players we've had injured after coming back for their senior season...Sure things still worked out great for some of them, but they were also arguably greater players than a very good Landry.

The Broncos were at the game last night scouting him, and if they're looking closely at him, you know others are too. There are plenty of teams looking for a QB to develop and Landry is likely the 3rd/4th QB pick in a draft that will see 4 go in the first round. (Luck, Barkley, Landry, and Griffin or Ponder). Early mock drafts have Landry going 10-15 first round which isn't something to sneeze at. The one thing I don't know and haven't fully considered is what QB's that would come out after 2012 would challenge him in the draft.

I'm not necessarily saying I want Landry gone, but I'm not seeing OU as a national championship contending team next year (fatalistic thinking I suppose) and given the "down" year (hopefully consisting of another Big12 championship), we might as well develop our next starting QB.

You lost all credibility when you said Ponder! Ponder is in the NFL already...at Minnesota to be exact!

Peach Fuzz
11/20/2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah, lost me at Ponder. I'm not sold on Barkley either.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 05:50 PM
The next few years do look bright...not like chad thinks...

Current Roster Breakdown by class:
Total roster size (Scholarship and walkon): 112
Freshmen/ Red Shirt Freshmen: 50
Sophomores: 20
Juniors: 27
Seniors: 15

Two Deep Depth Chart(as of 11/19/2011):
Freshmen/Red Shirt Freshmen: 9
Sophomores: 14
Juniors: 15
Seniors: 10
Also includes Special teams

How many underclassmen have a legitimate shot at entering NFL early: 2 (Landry Jones & Ronnell Lewis)

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 05:51 PM

Matt Barkley is solid...but he won't be leaving early.

oudavid1
11/20/2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah, he had a pick last night, but it wasn't a boneheaded pick...just one that he threw a bit to the right and a bit too early.

Disagree, he was reading the wrong guy. A sack would have been better there. I really like LJ, but he did throw the ball out of bounds on a 4th down in the 4th quarter while down 2 scores and within 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Still has some mental things to improve (as do all of us).

rock on sooner
11/20/2011, 05:58 PM
Landry is going to come back..Miss Whitney already told him!

StoopTroup
11/20/2011, 06:15 PM
Disagree, he was reading the wrong guy. A sack would have been better there. I really like LJ, but he did throw the ball out of bounds on a 4th down in the 4th quarter while down 2 scores and within 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Still has some mental things to improve (as do all of us).

I read a lot of your posts and I thought in time they would get better but I have realized its time to give up. You will never go Pro.

Landry will though and if he wants to go now , which I hope he does, I wish him well. I think he could be an asset to an NFL Team within his 2nd year. There is no way that after talking with Josh or Jason that he would stay to graduate with his GF. Yes he's a nice Chrisian young man with a very beautiful Wife but I guarantee that if the opportunity is right and they can start their life together off with some NFL Cash they will. Then by the next year Whitney should be well on her way to getting some more dough via the WNBA, especially since the NBA seems to have pissed off every Baller Fan I know. I think the NBA has helped the WNBA tremendously by being deal driven whores.

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 06:22 PM
Ain't nothing gonna help the WNBA. Ima huge B-ball fan, but I ain't watching that stuff, and neither does the other B-ball fans I know, many of whom are womenfolk themselves.

StoopTroup
11/20/2011, 06:31 PM
Ain't nothing gonna help the WNBA. Ima huge B-ball fan, but I ain't watching that stuff, and neither does the other B-ball fans I know, many of whom are womenfolk themselves.

We actually have a WNBA Team here in Tulsa and although they are suffering as a rookie Franchise it is fun to watch the other Teams as they visit Tulsa. You're welcome to your opinion no matter how wrong and bigoted it is. This wouldn't be the first time you and I have disagreed and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I was actually watching the OU Women's Volleyball Team play ISU awhile ago and even though they are rough around the edges compared to the 13th place Cyclones, I was proud of how they gave them a good run in the 4th period.

It was as fun to watch as Women's B-ball IMO. Folks should take the time to watch some of these when they are on.

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 06:37 PM
I watch women's college basketball, and in general would rather watch women play, as they play more fundamental pure basketball. That being said I'm not watching the WNBA and neither do the female basketball fans I know.

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 06:38 PM
..and I sure as hell ain't watching volleyball.

chad
11/20/2011, 07:55 PM
You lost all credibility when you said Ponder! Ponder is in the NFL already...at Minnesota to be exact!

damn it. I knew Ponder didn't sound right, but went with it anyways. Oh well, The rest still holds true. Landry and OU would probably be better parting ways after this season.

JLEW1818
11/20/2011, 08:16 PM
LJ has been a good QB. But for some of you that say he is a better QB than Sam Bradford.... come on now?.;...

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 08:29 PM
damn it. I knew Ponder didn't sound right, but went with it anyways. Oh well, The rest still holds true. Landry and OU would probably be better parting ways after this season.

E.J. Manual or Manuel?

I think Landry Jones coming back will be a big lift for OU and for him. He is not ready to leave yet.

Blake Bell is the Heir apparent and he is a red shirt freshman.

TUSooner
11/20/2011, 08:41 PM
I am eager to see Bell as full-time QB, and I wonder if LJ has the proverbial "intangibles" to be a great field general. But I wouldn't mind another season of pin-point passing for a jillion yards -- by us I mean, not our opponents. Ummm, can LJ cover?

oudavid1
11/20/2011, 10:05 PM
I read a lot of your posts and I thought in time they would get better but I have realized its time to give up. You will never go Pro.

Landry will though and if he wants to go now , which I hope he does, I wish him well. I think he could be an asset to an NFL Team within his 2nd year. There is no way that after talking with Josh or Jason that he would stay to graduate with his GF. Yes he's a nice Chrisian young man with a very beautiful Wife but I guarantee that if the opportunity is right and they can start their life together off with some NFL Cash they will. Then by the next year Whitney should be well on her way to getting some more dough via the WNBA, especially since the NBA seems to have pissed off every Baller Fan I know. I think the NBA has helped the WNBA tremendously by being deal driven whores.

Hold on, what the hell did you think i was disagreeing with?

nighttrain12
11/20/2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think hes going to leave his girlfriend. Love is blind.

She may demand he start making those big paydays NOW (or no S-E-X until he does).