PDA

View Full Version : A headline I found particularly shocking....

PrideTrombone
11/20/2011, 12:31 PM
"Sooners give up school-record 616 total yards of offense in 45-38 defeat to Bears"

Holy ****. That means even John Blake's ****tiest team never managed to give up the number of yards that we did yesterday.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 12:35 PM
When John Blake was here it was the coach's fault. With Bob stoops it's the player's fault.

rainiersooner
11/20/2011, 12:37 PM
In the two losses to Tech and Baylor, we gave up close to 1,000 yards PASSING. WTF??

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 12:37 PM
"Sooners give up school-record 616 total yards of offense in 45-38 defeat to Bears"

Holy ****. That means even John Blake's ****tiest team never managed to give up the number of yards that we did yesterday.Name the most prolific dual threat qb a Blake team faced other than Donovan McNabb...only thing I remember about that game was all the puking going on .

PrideTrombone
11/20/2011, 12:40 PM
You'd think that good coaches would adjust better to the opponents they'll be facing. Stoops, in 13 years here, has never figured out how to deal with mobile quarterbacks. Brad Smith, Robert Griffin III, the Utah State guy... the only one we ever managed to stop was Seneca Wallace.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 12:40 PM
Name the most prolific dual threat qb a Blake team faced other than Donovan McNabb...only thing I remember about that game was all the puking going on .

Stop the excuses....

last year we held said QB to his lowest output of his career....this year we allow him to have a record day.

LiveLaughLove
11/20/2011, 12:41 PM

Holy ****. That means even John Blake's ****tiest team never managed to give up the number of yards that we did yesterday.

Part of the reason for so many yards is that our offense scores quickly allowing the other team to get the ball more often.

Having said that, I am in no way defending the indefensible defense we saw last night. It was ghastly.

yermom
11/20/2011, 12:46 PM
we didn't lose by 60, which is what really matters, right?

Nebraska beats us by a million under Blake with less yards because we don't stop them as much, or give them short fields

we at least were in this game

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 12:56 PM
we didn't lose by 60, which is what really matters, right?

Nebraska beats us by a million under Blake with less yards because we don't stop them as much, or give them short fields

At least we were in the game? Damn, talk about a moral victory! LoL Are we reduced to celebrating moral victories now?

usmc-sooner
11/20/2011, 12:58 PM
It's not just Blake's teams it's every team they've ever played included D2 schools.

soonercoop1
11/20/2011, 01:49 PM
Part of the reason for so many yards is that our offense scores quickly allowing the other team to get the ball more often.

Having said that, I am in no way defending the indefensible defense we saw last night. It was ghastly.

The big reason is that OUs Defense is ****...

Sooner98
11/20/2011, 03:49 PM

And the previous record for yards set against the Sooners? Four weeks ago against Tech.

But at least we were competetive in both games! YAY!!

MR2-Sooner86
11/20/2011, 04:03 PM
You'd think that good coaches would adjust better to the opponents they'll be facing. Stoops, in 13 years here, has never figured out how to deal with mobile quarterbacks. Brad Smith, Robert Griffin III, the Utah State guy... the only one we ever managed to stop was Seneca Wallace.

Vince Young in '04.

rekamrettuB
11/20/2011, 04:17 PM

Has any team consistently done so? Mobile QBs are wanted for that reason. And there have been plenty that OU has shutdown.

EatLeadCommie
11/20/2011, 04:27 PM
Two school records this year. What will it take to get rid of Brent?

Oh, and Travis, shave that stupid shark off your head.

cleller
11/20/2011, 04:54 PM
Name the most prolific dual threat qb a Blake team faced other than Donovan McNabb...only thing I remember about that game was all the puking going on .

We won that game.

agoo758
11/20/2011, 04:55 PM
Two school records this year. What will it take to get rid of Brent?

Oh, and Travis, shave that stupid shark off your head.

This.

yermom
11/20/2011, 05:00 PM
At least we were in the game? Damn, talk about a moral victory! LoL Are we reduced to celebrating moral victories now?

if you are losing by 7, there might be some hope to change something to win games, if you are losing by 60, not so much

SoonerCLF
11/20/2011, 05:01 PM
Brody Eldridge (on twitter) after the loss last night:

that's what happens when youchange everything about the program and let ESPN come in preseason and turn a humble program into a arrogant one

Seamus
11/20/2011, 05:05 PM

It was Baylor!

http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lg_IntheLoop2.jpeg

Seamus
11/20/2011, 05:07 PM
Good for Brody!

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 05:15 PM
We all knew it was ESPN's fault! You know..since they hate us and all. ;)

mightysooner
11/20/2011, 05:15 PM
Those are the only records Venables is capable of breaking.

Salt City Sooner
11/20/2011, 09:07 PM
Vince Young in '04.
Brad Smith in '03 comes to mind as well. I could make a pretty significant list of others too. Have we been hot & cold against mobile QB's? Sure. Like butter said though, there's a reason they're in as high of demand as they are. When they've got both aspects of their game working, it's extremely difficult to slow them down.

cvsooner
11/20/2011, 09:17 PM
Stop the excuses....

last year we held said QB to his lowest output of his career....this year we allow him to have a record day.With essentially the same players on our side of the ball. What changed?

cvsooner
11/20/2011, 09:19 PM
Brody Eldridge (on twitter) after the loss last night:Didn't Alabama have kind of a lousy year last season? And do the ESPN thingy? Didn't we give ESPN all access five or six years ago? Bad idea.

OUNASH
11/20/2011, 09:47 PM
Oklahoma defense has only been ranked in the top 10 once in the last 8 years. 2007 was the best year a Breant V.s defense was and it finished at 7. Before Mike left the 2003 defense was ranked number 1. Time for some kind of change.

yermom
11/20/2011, 09:49 PM
i'll be pretty surprised if someone doesn't take a job elsewhere and Mike doesn't spend at least a year on the coaching staff

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2011, 10:09 PM
Venables, Venables, Venables...

When is Bob Stoops every held responsible for the awful play at safety? Ever? Brent doesn't coach the safeties, Bob does. It's the safeties that kept getting their as*es beat last night.

What needs to happen is Stoops need to cede all control of coaching the safeties to someone who knows what they are doing...like, hire his brother back to do it for him like it was in the early days of his tenure.

Sick as hell of seeing safeties getting burned, then walking to the sidelines with their I-don't-know hands up.

OUmillenium
11/20/2011, 10:11 PM
Brent V is a great coach! How dare any of you disagree? Just ask AL and TRABER.

Every time I see 3 man rush and 8 man fail defense I want to puke.

Not even surprised that we gave up 45 points to Baylor or 41 to Tech. It's gonna happen 2 or 3 times a year. We just have to hope our offense can outscore the other team on those days.

TOO MUCH ZONE for years and it won't change. Get use to it, I did.

Sooner91ATL
11/20/2011, 10:17 PM
According to latest NCAA Team stats:

OU Rush Defense: 38
OU Pass Defense: 93
OU Overall Defense: 62

Utterly shameful. Tough for young men to get bowed up and excited when they are playing soft zones and reads all the time. I almost threw the remote through the plasma last night when, on 3rd and 3, I saw our corner lined up 8 yards off the receiver. Perhaps I am not grasping the physics there, but it escapes me how this is a winning strategy. Oh wait, it wasn't.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2011, 10:32 PM
Here's what I keep in mind -

Texas A&M 55, Baylor 28...0 points for Baylor in the 4th quarter.

Texas A&M, who has coughed up leads all over the place in the second quarter this year, stopped Baylor and Griffin. And, us?

F*cking Mike Sherman and that former Air Force DC can figure out Robert Griffin, but we can't? Kansas can hold them down for three quarters, and we can't even for one?

Venables, Stoops...IT'S ALL OF THEM!

Except Gundy. Gundy's the only damn one who can get any type of player ready. Freshman. Walk-on. Scholarship. It doesn't f*cking matter. If one goes down to injury or is banged up, he throws another one in there and he succeeds.

We've spent about half the season making excuses for this or that banged up or injured player on defense or offense except at RB.

Robert Griffin, my ***. It's poor coaching. Look at this:

Kansas State 36, Baylor 35
Texas A&M 55, Baylor 28
Oklahoma State 59, Baylor 24
Baylor 42, Mizzou 39
Baylor 31, Kansas 30

This ain't the 1996-97 Nebraska Cornhuskers. This is a team who couldn't move the ball enough to crack 30 against A&M's suspect defense and Oklahoma State's.

This coaching staff - except Gundy - went out and laid an egg. And, Stoops is at the top of the pyramid here...he gets the blame. The buck stops at the top. I don't care how defensive Stoop is...he needs get over himself and own up to his teams' constant inability to stay focused for 13 games a season.

Curly Bill
11/21/2011, 12:27 AM
Hell yeah! What he said!!

The Maestro
11/21/2011, 08:22 AM
Here's what I keep in mind -

Texas A&M 55, Baylor 28...0 points for Baylor in the 4th quarter.

Texas A&M, who has coughed up leads all over the place in the second quarter this year, stopped Baylor and Griffin. And, us?

F*cking Mike Sherman and that former Air Force DC can figure out Robert Griffin, but we can't? Kansas can hold them down for three quarters, and we can't even for one?

Venables, Stoops...IT'S ALL OF THEM!

Except Gundy. Gundy's the only damn one who can get any type of player ready. Freshman. Walk-on. Scholarship. It doesn't f*cking matter. If one goes down to injury or is banged up, he throws another one in there and he succeeds.

We've spent about half the season making excuses for this or that banged up or injured player on defense or offense except at RB.

Robert Griffin, my ***. It's poor coaching. Look at this:

Kansas State 36, Baylor 35
Texas A&M 55, Baylor 28
Oklahoma State 59, Baylor 24
Baylor 42, Mizzou 39
Baylor 31, Kansas 30

This ain't the 1996-97 Nebraska Cornhuskers. This is a team who couldn't move the ball enough to crack 30 against A&M's suspect defense and Oklahoma State's.

This coaching staff - except Gundy - went out and laid an egg. And, Stoops is at the top of the pyramid here...he gets the blame. The buck stops at the top. I don't care how defensive Stoop is...he needs get over himself and own up to his teams' constant inability to stay focused for 13 games a season.

Excellent post. I have just decided our defense is too complex as far as how they coach and what they expect. I figure they have these great athletes and it gets too complicated. I mean, how in the hell is the strategy for the safeties this simple--DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE RUNNING BACKS!!! DO NOT BITE FOR THE FAKES!!! LET THE LINE AND LB'S WORRY ABOUT THE RUNNING BACKS!!! YOU JUST COVER THE RECEIVER EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE THEY MIGHT BE HANDING THE BALL OFF!!!

Great practice players like Ryan Reynolds and Tom Wort might be smart enough to get it...but we need to make sure great athletes don't lose their edge because they are too confused by where they are supposed to be. That is what it seems like to me. Make it simple...defense isn't wizardry...there is a reason a sick deranged lunatic like Sandusky was a great defensive coach...cause it ain't rocket science.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/21/2011, 08:33 AM
http://spiritwaterblood.com/wp-content/uploads/shark.jpg

SHARKS

Curly Bill
11/21/2011, 08:34 AM
:biggrin: