PDA

View Full Version : What good is a fast pace offense...

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 11:05 AM
when your defense is back peddling just as fast of the opponents?

What good is a fast pace offense when your defense is very very very mediocre? And that is giving the Defense some credit!

I would much rather OU line up on offense and have 10 three and outs a game than having a defense that allows two mediocre or worst teams to set records on them.

Coming into this season all we heard from everyone (coaches, media, fans) is how much better this team is going to be.

Where? We can't blame it on injuries. The biggest injuries happened on the offense...and our offense has been able to move the ball without the key injured players.

When a team scored 38 ****ing points...you should win the game 100% of the time!

When will fans and supporters of the OU football program have enough and demand change? Not necessarily Bob Stoops departure...but to force him to make some coaching changes like OU did to Switzer?

If we can do it to a man that won us 3 national championships, surely we can do it to a man that has gotten our hopes up only come crashing down every season!

Since 1950, the longest drought between national championships is 18 seasons. We currently sit at 11 and i doubt it will change next year. Could Stoops be on the cusp of breaking a national championship drought record for OU?

Like the intro videos of past....

It Is Time!

sortiz1965
11/20/2011, 11:18 AM
Agreed on all counts. Back to basics!! You know why 'Bama is so good (even though they did lose to LSU)? Because they are fundamentally sound...they ram it down your throat. But I wont be too hard on the offense, since they did score 38 points.

Back to the drawing board on defense. We need a new D coordinator, hired from outside the program. A fresh approach to defense, a guy who can come in and implement a system that makes the best use of our considerable talent. And this Martinez guy?? Give him his walking papers...NOW.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2011, 11:43 AM
I would much rather OU line up on offense and have 10 three and outs a game than having a defense that allows two mediocre or worst teams to set records on them.

That's a matter of taste, but I would hate that. Might as well watch SEC football. The 6 three and outs in a row against TT was the most frustrating stretch of OU football in years for me.

Where? We can't blame it on injuries. The biggest injuries happened on the offense...and our offense has been able to move the ball without the key injured players.

When a team scored 38 ****ing points...you should win the game 100% of the time!

You give the offense too much credit. It's not how many points are scored - it's whether or not they controlled the game. In both the losses, they did not. The TT game was an extreme example where the 38 points was a total mirage. Controlling the game can mean coming out of the gate fast and establishing a lead or it can be done by ball control/clock control & field position ala KSU. Our team it built for the former and the defense does pretty well when that happens. When it doesn't happen, our pass rushers get tired and the D can look pretty bad.

[/QUOTE]

But I agree with your premise because football is constantly changing and the stagnate fall to the side. It seems many teams have adjusted to no-huddle and fast pace and some of the advantages are being lost while the disadvantages remain. I don't see the need for a total overhaul so we can win a 9-6 game in OT. But I also don't understand why we can't vary the pace and slow the game down when the circumstances would favor it. If the other QB is getting the hot hand or our defense needs a rest, maybe we could actually huddle up and try to grind out a 6-7 min drive. That might also help if we are forced to play a bench player so we could make sure they know their assignment.

MichiganSooner
11/20/2011, 11:55 AM
Injuries on defense: Travis Lewis, Tom Wort, Jammel Fleming.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 11:57 AM
boulder my point wasn't offensive scheme...more that it is time OU gets back to the defensive roots that made OU feared by teams that stepped on the field with them.

However, I don't see any benefit from our offense getting 100 snaps a game. It leads to our defense being on the field for more plays. I would much rather see our offense score 40+ points by a good balance of run and pass than to be a pass happy offense that takes very little time to get off the field, either by 3 and out or by a quick touch down.

This fast pace offense has hampered our ability to take control of a game by slowing it down. It has limited out rushing ability in the red zone. It is pretty bad you have to have a back up QB and 3 FBs enter the game just to pick up 2 yards when you want to rush the ball.

Finally, don't get me wrong. I do love the way our offense is...but it is hindering our defense. And no matter what people say, defenses win championships. We would not have won a championship in 2000 without our defense.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 11:58 AM
Injuries on defense: Travis Lewis, Tom Wort, Jammel Fleming.

Tom Wort played vs Baylor
Jammel Fleming played vs. Baylor
Travis Lewis played vs. Baylor

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2011, 12:33 PM
75, I think we are agreeing. A fast paced offense puts extra pressure on the defense. That's fine when the offense is putting up points, but a double whammy when it is not. When we had Whaley, we had an effective running game and when we had Broyles we were almost guaranteed to have an open receiver. Without those guys, we cannot control the game with our offense so it hurts to keep playing the fast pace and put more pressure on the defense. We saw that big time last night because Baylor's defense ranks in the 100s nationally and we should have been able to jump on them out of the gate when our D started out fresh. An extreme example was the OSU game where Baylor managed 600 yards on offense, but only after they were behind 49-3 at half. We are designed to win like that, but we don't have the personal right now to pull it off.

kenth68
11/20/2011, 02:48 PM
Except we weren't playing a fast paced offense last night, unless you count 3 and out. LJ was confused half the time as to what to do and spent much of the time looking to the sidelines before each play.

The defense was bad because of the defense, not our offense, not Baylor's.

cvsooner
11/20/2011, 02:52 PM
We controlled the clock last night. Unfortunately Baylor scored three times in under a minute (and twice under 30 seconds). Our D started out pretty salty, though the second play of the game should have been a dead giveaway of what we could expect all night (the TD called back for penalty). The Bears clearly identified the weaknesses in our coverage, specifically certain players, and picked on them mercilessly. We then either didn't or couldn't correct it. Add in the fact that our pass rush just sort of evaporated, either through RLewis going out or better blocking by Baylor, or both, and you have what we saw.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2011, 03:02 PM
That's a matter of taste, but I would hate that. Might as well watch SEC football. The 6 three and outs in a row against TT was the most frustrating stretch of OU football in years for me.

You give the offense too much credit. It's not how many points are scored - it's whether or not they controlled the game. In both the losses, they did not. The TT game was an extreme example where the 38 points was a total mirage. Controlling the game can mean coming out of the gate fast and establishing a lead or it can be done by ball control/clock control & field position ala KSU. Our team it built for the former and the defense does pretty well when that happens. When it doesn't happen, our pass rushers get tired and the D can look pretty bad.

But I agree with your premise because football is constantly changing and the stagnate fall to the side. It seems many teams have adjusted to no-huddle and fast pace and some of the advantages are being lost while the disadvantages remain. I don't see the need for a total overhaul so we can win a 9-6 game in OT. But I also don't understand why we can't vary the pace and slow the game down when the circumstances would favor it. If the other QB is getting the hot hand or our defense needs a rest, maybe we could actually huddle up and try to grind out a 6-7 min drive. That might also help if we are forced to play a bench player so we could make sure they know their assignment.

Great post Boulder

cleller
11/20/2011, 03:32 PM
Baylor gave us a good taste of that, while some of our D was strolling off the field in no particular hurry.

MeMyself&Me
11/20/2011, 05:44 PM
But I also don't understand why we can't vary the pace and slow the game down when the circumstances would favor it. If the other QB is getting the hot hand or our defense needs a rest, maybe we could actually huddle up and try to grind out a 6-7 min drive. That might also help if we are forced to play a bench player so we could make sure they know their assignment.

Because this coaching staff has shown for 13 years now that they will not acknowledge there is a problem with anything until there is a loss that can be blamed on it. I don't say that as a Stoops hater, just see him as incredibly stubborn. That said, I do think the injuries, particularly the one to Ronnell had an effect last night.

okienator
11/20/2011, 06:45 PM
Hire from outside is the best thing you said.