PDA

View Full Version : Disaster!

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 12:05 AM
From Bob Stoops deciding to go for two, his ridiculous timeout, to giving up a TD on that last drive. Wow!

This defense is indefensible! I'm sorry, but they stink.

Just my opinion.

kenth68
11/20/2011, 12:08 AM
D came out big in the beginning, then deep coverage was non-existent. Jaz, Bell and the O-Line played their hearts out. I'm glad somebody did.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 12:11 AM
I don't point fingers but forget the team effort the offense played well enough to win. The timeout wasn't that ridiculous considering we stopped them the last series but the safeties are awful and have been all season.

FaninAma
11/20/2011, 12:14 AM
This team scores 38 points twice and loses. That is unacceptable.

Martinez needs to be gone if not Venables.

Socrefbek
11/20/2011, 12:19 AM
The Timeout Was No Rediculous. It was F'ing STUPID !!!!! Stoops needs to pull a Bobby Knight and return his salary to the University. He did not earn it this year.

nighttrain12
11/20/2011, 12:24 AM
He called the timeout to try and force Baylor to have to punt. Unfortunately the poor defense made that strategy a moot point.

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 12:24 AM
I mean, his timeout just dumbfounds me. I mean, I still can't believe it.

Baylor had 616 total yards of offense. I think we need to change our defensive coaches as we are consistently not very good. I mean, how long does this have to go on. We have a good offense, but our defense just sucks.

sooneron
11/20/2011, 12:25 AM
From Bob Stoops deciding to go for two,.

DEad ****ing stupid wrong. They hadn't figured out the Bell formation all night.
his ridiculous timeout, to giving up a TD on that last drive. Wow!

This defense is indefensible! I'm sorry, but they stink.

Just my opinion.

This part is right.

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 12:32 AM
DEad ****ing stupid wrong. They hadn't figured out the Bell formation all night.

This part is right.

I disagree with you completely. Our guys were nervous, which is why we got the penalty. Let's go to overtime and win because we had all the momentum.

agoo758
11/20/2011, 12:34 AM
I like the two point attempt, I like the timeout call, but our defense sucked tonight. Dean can come in here and threaten us all he wants to, but there is no other around it that our defense the past several years has been absolutely unacceptable.

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 12:43 AM
The 2 point call wasn't bad, but I would have just gone for the extra point, initially.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 12:46 AM
He called the timeout to try and force Baylor to have to punt. Unfortunately the poor defense made that strategy a moot point.

If he is stupid enough to think that D was going to stop Baylor twice in a row he needs to have his head examined. My 5 year old daughter knew "the bad guys" were going to score again.

Sooners78
11/20/2011, 12:52 AM
2 pt was the right call. Does anyone really think Baylor was going to stop it? In hindsight, it wouldn't have mattered anyway because our defense couldn't stop RG3 when they needed to.

Peach Fuzz
11/20/2011, 12:56 AM
This team scores 38 points twice and loses. That is unacceptable.

Martinez needs to be gone if not Venables.
I'm borrowing this without your consent.

tooslow
11/20/2011, 09:14 AM
Dean can come in here and threaten us all he wants to, but there is no other around it that our defense the past several years has been absolutely unacceptable.

Kool aid drinking Dean? The same "expert" who, among others, lit me up earlier this season when I stated our D was not very good? Heck, we were undefeated when I made that observation. How about the clowns that flamed me when I said we could easily end up with 3 losses when the season ends? Trust me, I would LOVE to eat crow and admit I was wrong, but not this year. Per forum policy, the sunshine boys will be out in full force to explain that our losses were due to [insert various excuses here.] I have no doubt our O has been set back due to injuries, but the D has shown numerous times, even at 100%, that they struggle with teams that like to throw the ball. Thank God none of our earlier opponents we beat caught on. :(

PLaw
11/20/2011, 09:25 AM
I don't point fingers but forget the team effort the offense played well enough to win. The timeout wasn't that ridiculous considering we stopped them the last series but the safeties are awful and have been all season.

purty darn sad that your O has to hang at least 40 week in and week out to give you a shot at winning.

There was a post earlier this week comparing great D's and great O's. One wise poster commented that when OU had great, highly ranked offenses, we could only score 14 on great defenses in BCS games.

Since Jan 1, 2005 OU has given 40 or more 11 times and our record in those games is 2-9.

bummer

BigTip
11/20/2011, 09:28 AM
double post. Mad fingers!

BigTip
11/20/2011, 09:29 AM
I don't want to say I told you so, but gawd damnit, I started a thread after the Tulsa game asking if anyone was concern about the big plays that the secondary gave up. Crap crap crap, so frustrating.

Trophy Husband
11/20/2011, 09:35 AM
Patton, BV, and Martinez all need to be shown the door.

Patton, because he obviously can't teach run blocking
Martinez because his secondary continues to bust.
BV because he just flat stinks. We've played 10 games this year and in 4 of them our defense has looked pathetic. aTm, Tech, Baylor and Mizzou.

jkjsooner
11/20/2011, 12:09 PM

You state that like it's some type of revelation to us. Everyone here understands that that was the idea.

It was a stupid idea. If we had Alabama's or LSU's defense then that might have been a wise decision. Instead we had a defense that had been giving up big plays all night.

I like Stoops but that was by far the dumbest coaching decision he's every made. I said it at the time the time out was called and I would be saying it today even if we would have held them and kicked a field goal after a punt (which, by the way, was highly unlikely considering the time left on the clock).

Baylor appeared as if they were going to run out the clock and play for overtime...

jkjsooner
11/20/2011, 12:17 PM
I like the two point attempt, I like the timeout call, but our defense sucked tonight. Dean can come in here and threaten us all he wants to, but there is no other around it that our defense the past several years has been absolutely unacceptable.

How can you say you liked the timeout call and state that our defense sucked in the same sentence?

There's 50 something seconds left in a tie game and it's second freaking down and by your own admission our defense has sucked the entire night yet you feel that the timeout call was a good call?

FtwTxSooner
11/20/2011, 12:51 PM
In an SEC type 13-13 game, call a timeout, but not in a 38-38 game with a pathetic defense.

I don't think we got a 3 and out all night. The last stop was more due to Baylor f'in up with the backward pass than anything our defense did.

It was 2nd and 6, rather than 2nd and 13. The chances of BU getting a first down was very high at that point, and as they proven time and time again last night, they can score fast.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2011, 03:09 PM
Kool aid drinking Dean? The same "expert" who, among others, lit me up earlier this season when I stated our D was not very good? Heck, we were undefeated when I made that observation. How about the clowns that flamed me when I said we could easily end up with 3 losses when the season ends? Trust me, I would LOVE to eat crow and admit I was wrong, but not this year. Per forum policy, the sunshine boys will be out in full force to explain that our losses were due to [insert various excuses here.] I have no doubt our O has been set back due to injuries, but the D has shown numerous times, even at 100%, that they struggle with teams that like to throw the ball. Thank God none of our earlier opponents we beat caught on. :(

When has dean ever tried to come across as an "expert"?

BigTip
11/20/2011, 03:13 PM
How can you say you liked the timeout call and state that our defense sucked in the same sentence?

There's 50 something seconds left in a tie game and it's second freaking down and by your own admission our defense has sucked the entire night yet you feel that the timeout call was a good call?

You know the irony though? When the defense came back on the field, they STILL looked confused, looking to the sideline, a couple of them actually not even seeing the ball snapped. I have never seen them that confused looking. You would think that our defense would be use to combating a hurry up offense.

cleller
11/20/2011, 03:19 PM
I cannot get the image out of my head of The Sharks clowning around in the locker room talking like no one could score on them.
Having fun and thinking positive is one thing. They looked more like a third grade bully shooting his mouth off.

EatLeadCommie
11/20/2011, 03:23 PM
Patton, BV, and Martinez all need to be shown the door.

Patton, because he obviously can't teach run blocking
Martinez because his secondary continues to bust.
BV because he just flat stinks. We've played 10 games this year and in 4 of them our defense has looked pathetic. aTm, Tech, Baylor and Mizzou.
BV before Martinez, IMO. I think the scheme BV runs inhibits the defensive backs. Maybe Martinez needs to go too, but he hasn't earned a pink slip like BV has.

I love it though that once every 4 years we'll have a kickass defense and people will be riding BV's jock. We're effing OU. We should have a kickass defense year after year after year.

opksooner
11/20/2011, 03:25 PM
I cannot get the image out of my head of The Sharks clowning around in the locker room talking like no one could score on them.
Having fun and thinking positive is one thing. They looked more like a third grade bully shooting his mouth off.

This. ^

Unfortunately, the "hat" - "cattle" reference comes to mind.

Do something seriously notable, like an NC, THEN you can run your mouth.

tooslow
11/21/2011, 02:11 PM
When has dean ever tried to come across as an "expert"?

I just found it a little amusing that someone would tell me, "why bother posting" after I stated an opinion about a team I love. He also referenced my post as, "stupid." So...... he's obviously an expert, right? :topsy_turvy: Now, just because I'm an OU fan doesn't mean I'm going to sweep their deficiencies under the rug. I'm sure some fans have thinner skin than others, but what good would it be to just focus on the positives all the time? I have no doubt I'd get along great in person with everyone that flamed me. On a message board, that's obviously not going to happen. Just like other forums, those who have a difference of opinion from the majority get flamed. And life goes on.... lol

Edit: Just noticed that Dean is the Admin/Owner of this board. Being this is his house, me may certainly do whatever he wants. :redface:

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 02:19 PM

yup...it wasn't that crazy...imho...maybe questionable JUST because we score 14 points in 5 min to tie it up..but then again our D had just stopped them to allow us to score the 2nd TD....easy to 2nd guess.

sooneron
11/21/2011, 02:19 PM
I disagree with you completely. Our guys were nervous, which is why we got the penalty. Let's go to overtime and win because we had all the momentum.

One guys gets a false start and suddenly they were all nervous? What was there to be nervous about? They hadn't stopped Bell all night. I actually wanted Bell to take a dive on the 1, so that we could have burned more clock. Do you really think that we had momentum? You actually felt comfortable giving Baylor the ball on the 25 yd line in OT? They would have scored a td every time.
Being up on them 1 point with a minute left would possibly have made them press more. The pressure would have been on them. Yeah, they may have succeeded, but we'll never know because of Shead screwing the pooch.

SoonerAtKU
11/21/2011, 03:25 PM
Here's a little perspective on why it might not have been the worst idea to call that timeout.

DRIVE TOTALS: BAYLOR drive: 3 plays 5 yards, 01:18 BAYLOR PUNT

DRIVE TOTALS: BAYLOR drive: 5 plays 17 yards, 02:26 BAYLOR PUNT

These were the previous two drives that Baylor had. They hadn't done anything on offense for 12 game minutes, almost the entire fourth quarter. That's as good a run as OU had since the first quarter, and the defense had played extremely well. If you force Baylor to play, however, your guys have to be ready to go and fired up to pressure Griffin.

The false start on the conversion was HUGE. I firmly believe that if Bell had been able to get in to make it 39-38, that the pressure goes on Baylor and they press and give up the game on that final drive. Poor Shead, he's got to be killing himself over that tiny bump move he made. That tiny twitch could (perhaps) be the difference in getting to play for a national championship.

SoonerTerry
11/21/2011, 03:44 PM
IMO:
mark of a good defense
Hold the other team to less points than we scored
we win
I'm happy