PDA

View Full Version : I think Stoops should give back about $4 million

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 12:03 AM
He flat out got too greedy and it cost us the game.

OU had the momentum...Baylor was giving in for OT...and you call a ****ing timeout?

Seriously?

$4million blunder!

Way to earn you money Stoops and the rest of the coaching staff!

Okie35
11/20/2011, 12:06 AM
He had trust in the defense I would've too. BV should give his salary to charity though.

pappy
11/20/2011, 12:08 AM
Worst timeout call in OU history (some of the older guys on this board can check me on that) No excuse! Baylor was tucking their tail between their legs and conceding overtime and we call timeout. Pathetic!

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2011, 12:10 AM
He called timeout to try and get the ball back and win. Didn't work out. **** happens.

cccasooner2
11/20/2011, 12:14 AM
He called timeout to try and get the ball back and win. Didn't work out. **** happens.

Like they say, that's why he makes the big bucks. :)

rdusooner
11/20/2011, 12:14 AM
He had trust in the defense I would've too. BV should give his salary to charity though.

How could he trust the defense after what he had seen the entire game? BV, although I think he should take a significant amount of blame, did not call the timeout. That was all Bob. Terrible call

Widescreen
11/20/2011, 12:15 AM
With the defense we were fielding tonight? Horrible, horrible call. When he called time out I was yelling at the TV and just hoping it didn't bite us.

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2011, 12:15 AM
I had no issues with the call to go for the 2 point conversion. Baylor's D had not figured out how to stop the Bell Dozer.

The timeout call OTOH gave Baylor a reason to try and drive down the field and win it. And they did.

Biggnick15
11/20/2011, 12:18 AM
Wouldnt have mattered either way, RG3 wouldve scored in OT and we still lose. Our POS lousy excuse for a defense wasn't gonna stop that guy anyway!

Soonerjeepman
11/20/2011, 12:19 AM
I had no issues with the call to go for the 2 point conversion. Baylor's D had not figured out how to stop the Bell Dozer.

The timeout call OTOH gave Baylor a reason to try and drive down the field and win it. And they did.

agreed...on both...my question is why was Harris still in after giving up 3/4 BIG plays...

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2011, 12:19 AM
Bigger issue to me is why this keeps happening year after year.

You can count on the defense to get shredded in at least one road game a year. Like clockwork.

That has to be addressed. And I can't defend the coaching staff anymore. I'm not going to kneejerk and call for anyone to be fired.

But if a change is made on the defensive side of the coaching staff, I won't complain.

sheepdogs
11/20/2011, 12:22 AM
The former office of Mike Stoops' should be dusted off before the sun rises tomorrow.

agoo758
11/20/2011, 12:22 AM
Stoops is a great coach. Our offensive side on the ball is elite. This is not my emotions speaking when I say that he needs to clean house on the defensive side on the ball. Our defensive coaching staff is SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH to win a National Title. We are the Virginia Tech of the Big12.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=rdusooner;3404461]How could he trust the defense after what he had seen the entire game? BV, although I think he should take a significant amount of blame, did not call the timeout. That was all Bob. Terrible call[/QUOTE

Did we not stop Baylor the last series? Oh ok.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 12:24 AM
How could he trust the defense after what he had seen the entire game? BV, although I think he should take a significant amount of blame, did not call the timeout. That was all Bob. Terrible call

Did we not stop Baylor the last series?! Like Colley said **** happens. This team was never that great to begin with. What some idiots don't get is you can yell and scream in players faces but that won't fix their techniques. If they get burned its not because Bob didn't motivate them.

the_edge
11/20/2011, 12:24 AM
No.

This loss is on JAMES ******* PATTON. Worst assistant coach since, uh, Joe Dickinson.

Horrific blocking. Holds. WE CAN'T RUN THE FOOTBALL. EVER.

He doesn't deserve to get, ahem, "fired." He deserves to get fired out of a circus cannon into the moon.

I don't care about sacks per game. We pass block pretty well most of the time. BUT, if we need to run the ball, the OL either whiffs on blocks or just flat out misses an assignment. James Patton is still TERRIBLE. His incompetent coaching lost us the 2008 NC. He's mediocre at best, and this cronyism is going to hurt OU for a long time.

Two sacks on Landry tonight by this impotent defense? Are you kidding me?

Always_Sooner
11/20/2011, 12:25 AM
If Barry Switzer was forced to fire his assistants when he underachieved, it's time Stoops is held to the same standard. There is no reason to lose to inferior opponents on a consistent basis each year.

KABOOKIE
11/20/2011, 12:27 AM
**** happens a lot lately.....

OU_Sooners75

Because god knows OU was stopping Baylor all night long.

He tempted fate...and it caught up to him! Why not just be content with OT and win it there? We havent been able to stop them all damn night and we are going to do it with 51 seconds left? Okay! **** poo decision!

SOONER44EVER
Stoops is a good coach. He really sucks at clock management though.

soonerinstlw
11/20/2011, 12:28 AM
He flat out got too greedy and it cost us the game.

OU had the momentum...Baylor was giving in for OT...and you call a ****ing timeout?

Seriously?

$4million blunder!

Way to earn you money Stoops and the rest of the coaching staff!

Shut up. Was it a bad call? Yes, but you are taking it a bit far. Don't be that guy.

kc sooner
11/20/2011, 12:29 AM
What's funny or sad is it seems to me in a lot of games this year, we seem to have to waste a lot of timeouts before the end of the game, and this game when we saved them all, it came back to hurt us. But, we wouldn't have been able to stop them in OT anyway.

llsooner7
11/20/2011, 12:30 AM
I'm going to need a day or two to digest this, but the Stoop's timeout reeks of hubris.

pappy
11/20/2011, 12:30 AM
Did we not stop Baylor the last series?! Like Colley said **** happens. This team was never that great to begin with. What some idiots don't get is you can yell and scream in players faces but that won't fix their techniques. If they get burned its not because Bob didn't motivate them.

I'm pretty sure this EXCUSE has been over done...lets see its been the players fault and not the coaches fault and I won't even say a decade. I'll say since 2004 Orange Bowl/national title...We have had basically the same coaching staff but not the same players since then. hmm...

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2011, 12:31 AM

I was against both for the same reason. If we made the 2, it would force Baylor to try to score and they would only need a FG. When we got the touchback, I figured we had OT in the bag and then the timeout. D'oh. Of course we should have still stopped them but Griffin out there, anything could happen. I liked our chances in OT exactly because we had Bell. Oh well.

Always_Sooner
11/20/2011, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty sure this EXCUSE has been over done...lets see its been the players fault and not the coaches fault and I won't even say a decade. I'll say since 2004 Orange Bowl/national title...We have had basically the same coaching staff but not the same players since then. hmm...

Exactly, he needs to answer for his assistant coaches.

soonerspiff
11/20/2011, 12:40 AM
Stoops is a good coach. He really sucks at clock management though.

No, he doesn't. LES MILES sucks at clock management. Bob Stoops does not.

My theory is that Bob knew we'd lose it in OT and rather than have the players and the rest of his staff take the blame for the ****-poor performance, he decided to fall on the sword.

Kudos, Stoops. Mission ****ing accomplished.

rdusooner
11/20/2011, 12:43 AM

OH! So because we stopped them on ONE series, we have all the confidence in the world? One series obviously doesn't hold more weight than the entire game preceding. They beat us on 50+ yard plays as many times as we stopped them. Give me a break.

Oh, and this

oudavid1
11/20/2011, 12:44 AM

Before or after their 45 points and 0 turnovers?

btb916
11/20/2011, 12:48 AM

Before or after their 45 points and 0 turnovers?

Somewhere in the middle maybe

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2011, 12:51 AM
I've had a few moments to cool my heels.

But losing Ronnell Lewis affected this defense in much the same way losing Ryan Reynolds hurt the defense in 2008 against Texas.

Baylor started to run the ball up the middle. Which meant that our safeties had to think about stopping the run as much as covering Baylor's receivers. And against a guy who's already a running threat in RGIII, well...

I'm going to sleep now. Seems like the best course of action for what remains of this night.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 12:52 AM
No, he doesn't. LES MILES sucks at clock management. Bob Stoops does not.

My theory is that Bob knew we'd lose it in OT and rather than have the players and the rest of his staff take the blame for the ****-poor performance, he decided to fall on the sword.

Kudos, Stoops. Mission ****ing accomplished. Les Miles is crazy........Bob Stoops just sucks at clock management.

normanx
11/20/2011, 12:54 AM
I want to see if BS actually takes the full blame for this TO. And end it there. No if's, ands, or buts. This is getting rediculous.

soonerspiff
11/20/2011, 12:56 AM
I've had a few moments to cool my heels.

But losing Ronnell Lewis affected this defense in much the same way losing Ryan Reynolds hurt the defense in 2008 against Texas.

Baylor started to run the ball up the middle. Which meant that our safeties had to think about stopping the run as much as covering Baylor's receivers. And against a guy who's already a running threat in RGIII, well...

I'm going to sleep now. Seems like the best course of action for what remains of this night.

I completely disagree. I thought David King played pretty well in Ronnell's absence. And they were always having trouble running the football on us until later in the game, when defenses tend to wear down.

We lost because the defense has poor discipline - their offensive line was consistently blocking the second level on runs - and our secondary is a complete joke. Ronnell is not the Ryan Reynolds of this D. He's just an athletic freak on the edge.

soonerspiff
11/20/2011, 12:57 AM
Les Miles is crazy........Bob Stoops just sucks at clock management.

I think that's knee jerk. Take it from a guy that's seen a ton of LSU football. You honestly have no idea what poor clock management is.

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 01:15 AM
Shut up. Was it a bad call? Yes, but you are taking it a bit far. Don't be that guy.

I am that guy.

It was a **** poor decision and Stoops needs to be held accountable for the mediocrity that has befallen our team...or at least our defense!

Okie35
11/20/2011, 01:17 AM
OH! So because we stopped them on ONE series, we have all the confidence in the world? One series obviously doesn't hold more weight than the entire game preceding. They beat us on 50+ yard plays as many times as we stopped them. Give me a break.

No, it was the LAST series before our last possession not just ONE series but he was playing to win in regulation. It wasn't a bad timeout based on the facts but wasn't good either. What can't you understand? I mean really. If you can't understand why he took that timeout you don't know football.

EnragedOUfan
11/20/2011, 01:25 AM
Timeout sucked, but come on people,

our defensive scheme/coaches/whatever is pathetic. How many times does our defense get torched? We've been getting torched for about 7-8 years now. Texas Tech torched us just a couple of weeks ago....

Baylor took us to the woodshed, Griffin scrambled at will, just like Tebow did to us in the 4th quarter. The obvious is Venables, but the overall man in charge (Stoops) won't do anything to fix it. This defense can't stop anything unfortunately.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2011, 01:27 AM
All it takes is one bad play to lose in over time. It's better to try and win in regulation. Baylor needed to cover 80 yards, only need to cover 25 in OT.

The timeout didn't cost us, our inability to stop a pretty ****ing talented QB did.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 01:30 AM
All it takes is one bad play to lose in over time. It's better to try and win in regulation. Baylor needed to cover 80 yards, only need to cover 25 in OT.

The timeout didn't cost us, our inability to stop a pretty ****ing talented QB did. That timeout gave that pretty ****ing talented QB just enough time to win.

soonerinstlw
11/20/2011, 01:30 AM
I am that guy.

It was a **** poor decision and Stoops needs to be held accountable for the mediocrity that has befallen our team...or at least our defense!

He has only won 1 national title and 7 Big 12 - 2 titles. That guy sucks and should give back all of this money. What have you done for me lately.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 01:31 AM

The timeout didn't cost us, our inability to stop a pretty ****ing talented QB did.

This.

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 01:33 AM

The timeout didn't cost us, our inability to stop a pretty ****ing talented QB did.agree. the timeout made sense to me.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2011, 01:33 AM

The timeout didn't cost us, our inability to stop a pretty ****ing talented QB did. That timeout gave that pretty ****ing talented QB just enough time to win.

We did just stop them 2 series in a row. Stoops was hoping the team could close. They didn't, we lost. **** happens.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2011, 01:34 AM
Grrr

Okie35
11/20/2011, 01:36 AM
We did just stop them 2 series in a row. Stoops was hoping the team could close. They didn't, we lost. **** happens.

Oh so it was 2 series see it even makes more sense to have confidence in the defense. I thought we only stopped them for one series.

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 01:45 AM
The timeout was stupid. Our defense stinks, I mean really stinks. I mean, I don't think we should be making fun of OSU's D, because ours is not much better.

If anybody says that things are hunky dory in the program, then have fun losing 2-3 games a year.