PDA

View Full Version : Stoops. The most over rated coach in all of college football.

landrun
11/19/2011, 11:11 PM
Defense is consistently a joke.

And yet, there are people who will blame Landry and his pic for losing this game.

THIS ... what you saw tonight... is OKLAHOMA football. .... And has been for a decade now. :mad:

Will Joe C give Stoops a raise after this? I mean after all, the defense only gave up 3 50+ pass plays for TD?

Yeah... I'm SICK of it.

landrun
11/19/2011, 11:12 PM
4 play drive for a TD after the pick.
Defense lays down when they have to step up. And they suck. Not good enough to do it. Ever...

OUInformant
11/19/2011, 11:14 PM
He is the best in the conference, but not as good as Saban, Meyer, Miles, etc.

OUbasketball4life
11/19/2011, 11:16 PM
Yeah I'm in agreement, Stoops hasn't done anything for this program...

soonercoop1
11/19/2011, 11:17 PM
Maybe we can get Urban and Bob can go to tOSU...

lasooner123
11/19/2011, 11:21 PM
mhmm

Boomer.....
11/19/2011, 11:21 PM
OU fans: some of the most spoiled fans in college football.

landrun
11/19/2011, 11:23 PM

Yeah. We're crazy. We think out 4 and 5 star recruits, with the bestest coach in all of college football, should be able to beat Baylor. And, we think we should be able to stop teams from getting 500+ yards on the best coached team every other game too.

landrun
11/19/2011, 11:24 PM
LOL!! Just announced Griffen breaks the Baylor passing yards per game record against the OU defense.
Either our players suck. Or our coaches do. Which is it??

kingsby
11/19/2011, 11:26 PM

Right now I think OU is living off of its legacy but in reality we are at the same level as Clemson and Virginia Tech

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2011, 11:34 PM
Right now I think OU is living off of its legacy but in reality we are at the same level as Clemson and Virginia Tech

I think a closer analogy would be that our fans think we have the talent level of our "legacy" team and we are actually closer to Clemson and VTech ESPECIALLY when we lose all of our top playmakers.

East Coast Bias
11/19/2011, 11:42 PM
We depend on our linebackers and down linemen too much, always hoping our secondary doesn't kill us. We need to recruit, coach and scheme better in the secondary.

MamaMia
11/19/2011, 11:47 PM
OU fans: some of the most spoiled fans in college football.Spoiled or fans who pay for and expect better than what we are getting? You seem to forget that we have a tradition of winning championships but with Stoops and all his childhood friends all we do is lay annual eggs, sometimes even on our own turf. We are losing games to teams that we should beat! ... and we are to behave ourselves and be grateful that at least we 'played' for a National Championship game no matter how embarrassing the outcome, at least we played in a BCS bowl, no matter how embarrassing the outcome and at least we won our own 'conference' championship here and there which shouldn't be that hard if we happen to beat Texas that year?

Not liking that is not being spoiled. Its called being fed up with an arrogant, overpaid coaching staff that cant fix whatever needs to be fixed to be able to get it done with the players who they themselves recruit, and coach. Not to mention the fact that we have twice as many key players getting injured every darn year than any other team out there according to the the article I read last season. That didn't change this season either. Nothing did.

If not winning a National Championship in over a decade is a ok with any OU fan, then they just don't get what OU is, or was, all about.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2011, 12:06 AM
What a ****ing stupid thread.

sooneredaco
11/20/2011, 12:15 AM

I agree. And there are some effing morons on here saying really stupid things

pappy
11/20/2011, 12:16 AM
Spoiled or fans who pay for and expect better than what we are getting? You seem to forget that we have a tradition of winning championships but with Stoops and all his childhood friends all we do is lay annual eggs, sometimes even on our own turf. We are losing games to teams that we should beat! ... and we are to behave ourselves and be grateful that at least we 'played' for a National Championship game no matter how embarrassing the outcome, at least we played in a BCS bowl, no matter how embarrassing the outcome and at least we won our own 'conference' championship here and there which shouldn't be that hard if we happen to beat Texas that year?

Not liking that is not being spoiled. Its called being fed up with an arrogant, overpaid coaching staff that cant fix whatever needs to be fixed to be able to get it done with the players who they themselves recruit, and coach. Not to mention the fact that we have twice as many key players getting injured every darn year than any other team out there according to the the article I read last season. That didn't change this season either. Nothing did.

If not winning a National Championship in over a decade is a ok with any OU fan, then they just don't get what OU is, or was, all about.

Agreed!

pappy
11/20/2011, 12:18 AM

don't like it don't read it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 12:20 AM
Spoiled or fans who pay for and expect better than what we are getting? You seem to forget that we have a tradition of winning championships but with Stoops and all his childhood friends all we do is lay annual eggs, sometimes even on our own turf. We are losing games to teams that we should beat! ... and we are to behave ourselves and be grateful that at least we 'played' for a National Championship game no matter how embarrassing the outcome, at least we played in a BCS bowl, no matter how embarrassing the outcome and at least we won our own 'conference' championship here and there which shouldn't be that hard if we happen to beat Texas that year?

We have 7 National Titles since they started handing them out in 1933 -> That was 77 years ago or once every 11 years. I'm not at all happy about the state of some parts of the program, but don't try to rewrite history as if we've won one every 2 years since they started handing them out.

TUSooner
11/20/2011, 12:21 AM

YOU BET YOUR ASZ WE ARE, AND WITHOUT APOLOGY. STOOPS & CO. BETTER ACCEPT THAT FACT AND PUT A TEAM ON THE FIELD THAT'S READY TO PLAY EVERY ****ING GAME.

landrun
11/20/2011, 12:23 AM
What's stupid is fans having no problem with a defense that gives up 500+ yards every other game. Fans thinking that it is cool for a defense that constantly gets schooled to give themselves a nick name and shave their heads when the defense is pathetic.

This staff could easily be replaced and if you don't think so, you're living in fantasy land.

agoo758
11/20/2011, 12:25 AM
Stoops is a great coach. Frank Beamer Great, not Nick Saban great.

FaninAma
11/20/2011, 12:26 AM
I think everybody is tired of the fact that our defense is the reason we lose ove rnad over and over again yet we see no move to upgrade the staff.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 12:29 AM
No, that award goes to Gene Chizik by a mile.

normanx
11/20/2011, 12:38 AM
We put the man on murals for one title expecting more. Has he grown complacent with some of the rest of this crowd?

Socrefbek
11/20/2011, 12:41 AM
Stoops coaching decisions tonight sucked "in a great way"

toast
11/20/2011, 12:45 AM
So much has to go into having a national championship season: no key injuries, getting a few breaks here and there, and having players join together and play better as a unit than they are individually. Not much you can do as a coach about the injuries and how the ball bounces sometimes. But you can do something about the players you recruit and how they are prepared and motivated each week. I am certainly frustrated with the play of the defense and how clueless they looked at times tonight. Still Stoops' has won 7 conf titles and been to the BCS title game 4 times, what more can you ask?

Sooners78
11/20/2011, 12:45 AM
Venables definitely needs to go. I'm afraid no HC jobs will be coming his way, though.

And yes, Stoops got outcoached again. The timeout was ridiculous. I remember thinking that Briles would be smart to just turn RG3 loose after we called the timeout. He had nothing to lose in that situation.

One good thing about this, no more fans will be making a$$es of themselves as they try to make a case for us to be in the championship game. Even if we had pulled out the win tonight, we would not deserve to be there because of our pathetic defense.

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 12:48 AM
That 2000 NC, is getting to be a long time ago....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 12:49 AM
What's stupid is fans having no problem with a defense that gives up 500+ yards every other game. Fans thinking that it is cool for a defense that constantly gets schooled to give themselves a nick name and shave their heads when the defense is pathetic.

This staff could easily be replaced and if you don't think so, you're living in fantasy land.

That worked fairly well for Nebraska. They are back on top of the football universe right?

landrun
11/20/2011, 12:53 AM
That worked fairly well for Nebraska. They are back on top of the football universe right?

Do you not realize we're no better than Nebraska?? We just play in a sorry conference that has ZERO defense in it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 12:55 AM
Do you not realize we're no better than Nebraska?? We just play in a sorry conference that has ZERO defense in it.

No, Nebraska is a top 10-20+ team and has been since 2001. What we are is a top 5-10 team that can't pull its head out with regard to evaluating defensive talent.

Sooner Cal
11/20/2011, 12:59 AM
I bet javon Harris doesnt start at most top 20 programs. The talent on this defense is way overrated. Hurst is average, Fleming showed up twice, Colvin wasn't all that visible and Harris flat out blew assignments. Not sure any of them have a veey high football IQ.

Travis played his worst game as a Sooner. Once Ronnell went down our contain on Griffin collapsed. Jefferson played with little poise and could have been flagged a couple of times. These guys have been playing long enough to know better. We must recruit a true safety and corners. Then we must change the scheme because it's very vulnerable of the middle and deep

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 01:37 AM
So much has to go into having a national championship season: no key injuries, getting a few breaks here and there, and having players join together and play better as a unit than they are individually. Not much you can do as a coach about the injuries and how the ball bounces sometimes. But you can do something about the players you recruit and how they are prepared and motivated each week. I am certainly frustrated with the play of the defense and how clueless they looked at times tonight. Still Stoops' has won 7 conf titles and been to the BCS title game 4 times, what more can you ask? Bud Wilkinson and The King always had other studs ready to go in case we suffered an injury. He always made sure that the backup players got enough playing time to be ready. Even before we "hung a half a hunerd on 'em" they were out there getting the ever so important playing time and doing what teams do to win. He never let injuries stop us from winning. At OU, we don't rebuild; we reload...Barry Switzer

Blue
11/20/2011, 01:45 AM

B itch please. You could dig up the archives and find this threads duplicate in 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, etc...

I think people have rational concerns...

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 01:45 AM
Bud Wilkinson and The King always had other studs ready to go in case we suffered an injury. He always made sure that the backup players got enough playing time to be ready. Even before we "hung a half a hunerd on 'em" they were out there getting the ever so important playing time and doing what teams do to win. He never let injuries stop us from winning. At OU, we don't rebuild; we reload...Barry Switzer I remember a certain starting qb getting injured then a freshman comes in and we change offenses and win it all. Bob is a distant 3rd behind Bud and Barry.

SoonerDood
11/20/2011, 01:46 AM
Bud Wilkinson and The King always had other studs ready to go in case we suffered an injury. He always made sure that the backup players got enough playing time to be ready.
Bud and The King also had unlimited scholarships and practice time.

Blue
11/20/2011, 01:47 AM
No, that award goes to Gene Chizik by a mile.

He'll probably go titleless the next decade. Lol...er um...

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 01:48 AM
Gotta agree that Bud and Barry were much better than Bob.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 01:49 AM
He'll probably go titleless the next decade. Lol...er um...

I got the joke but seriously he'll probably never have another 10 win season. I'm thinking he'll be in Houston Nutt territory.

toast
11/20/2011, 01:52 AM
I remember a certain starting qb getting injured then a freshman comes in and we change offenses and win it all. Bob is a distant 3rd behind Bud and Barry.

I remember switzer losing to a ku team playing with a backup qb in 84.

Blue
11/20/2011, 01:57 AM

I keep hearing about this REALLY bad Switzer loss...thing is it's always the KU game! I can name you 10 in the last 5 years.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 01:57 AM
I remember switzer losing to a ku team playing with a backup qb in 84. I remember Switzer pulling the starters before the half...........many times. I remember Jason White playing in the middle of the 4th with OU up by 40.

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 01:58 AM

I remember Switzer having two NCs at the time, and won one in 85. If you have two NC's, and win another one later, you are on another level. Switzer is a much much better coach than Stoops.

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 01:59 AM
I remember Switzer pulling the starters before the half...........many times. I remember Jason White playing in the middle of the 4th with OU up by 40.

Great point. Thta's why our players wear out though out the year. Stoops refuses to pull starters out.

Okie35
11/20/2011, 01:59 AM
I remember Switzer having two NCs at the time, and won one in 85. If you have two NC's, and win another one later, you are on another level. Switzer is a much much better coach than Stoops.

There wasn't a BCS back then either. It was the AP system didn't they get to pick and choose too sometimes?

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 02:00 AM
I keep hearing about this REALLY bad Switzer loss...thing is it's always the KU game! I can name you 10 in the last 5 years.

People don't mention his two NCs and his bowl winning record.....when mentioning that KU loss. Stoops is no where near the coach Switzer was.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 02:00 AM
I remember Switzer having two NCs at the time, and won one in 85. If you have two NC's, and win another one later, you are on another level. Switzer is a much much better coach than Stoops. I've been saying that for years. Bob Stoops isn't even the best coach in his conference.

AlboSooner
11/20/2011, 02:01 AM
There wasn't a BCS back then either. It was the AP system didn't they get to pick and choose too sometimes?

tonight your posts are dying the death of a thousand qualifications. Sometime we have to stop making excuses, and realize losing to Tech and Baylor is not our standard.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 02:03 AM
tonight your posts are dying the death of a thousand qualifications. Sometime we have to stop making excuses, and realize losing to Tech and Baylor is not our standard. Sadly they are becoming our standard.

OUInformant
11/20/2011, 02:04 AM

We are OU! We're not spoiled, we want to win it all!

dennis580
11/20/2011, 02:04 AM
Defense is consistently a joke.

And yet, there are people who will blame Landry and his pic for losing this game.

THIS ... what you saw tonight... is OKLAHOMA football. .... And has been for a decade now. :mad:

Will Joe C give Stoops a raise after this? I mean after all, the defense only gave up 3 50+ pass plays for TD?

Yeah... I'm SICK of it.

1 National Championship, and 7 Conference Championships say otherwise. Stoops is underrrated, and is not appreciated by Sooner fans as he should be. Any other team would LOVE to have a coach who has dominated a major conference like Stoops has.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 02:06 AM
1 National Championship, and 7 Conference Championships say otherwise. Stoops is underrrated, and is not appreciated by Sooner fans as he should be. Any other team would LOVE to have a coach who has dominated a major conference like Stoops has the last decade. Underrated?

Texas Golfer
11/20/2011, 02:06 AM
Everyone should sleep on it before commenting. I'm seeing alot of comments of emotion rather than logic. Bob's problem is that he won a national championship in his second year after taking over from the Blake foster. We've played in 4 national championships and have won 7 conference championships during his tenure. Name one other coach that can make that claim during that timeframe. That being said, I'm not happy with Venebles and wouldn't be unhappy if he was gone.

toast
11/20/2011, 02:07 AM

yeah in 85 it would have been miami and penn state in the champ game.

Don't know why people are making this a switzer vs stoops thing. we could certainly discuss the early eighties and switzer. stoops has won 7 conf titles and been to the bcs champ game 4 times. Obviously, we have an issue with the defense but for people to be calling for Stoops' head is ridiculous.

Blue
11/20/2011, 02:08 AM
Im not in with the Fire Stoops crowd. I just want to get some answers.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 02:08 AM
Everyone should sleep on it before commenting. I'm seeing alot of comments of emotion rather than logic. Bob's problem is that he won a national championship in his second year after taking over from the Blake foster. We've played in 4 national championships and have won 7 conference championships during his tenure. Name one other coach that can make that claim during that timeframe. That being said, I'm not happy with Venebles and wouldn't be unhappy if he was gone. The problem isn't that Stoops isn't a good coach, it's that he isn't as good as he was.

Salt City Sooner
11/20/2011, 02:22 AM
I remember a certain starting qb getting injured then a freshman comes in and we change offenses and win it all. Bob is a distant 3rd behind Bud and Barry.
I remember that same QB who got injured coming in for an injured Sr. QB just a year before & getting his arse handed to him by a team that got drilled by Vanderbilt & K-State.

It goes both ways.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 02:33 AM
Bud Wilkinson and The King always had other studs ready to go in case we suffered an injury. He always made sure that the backup players got enough playing time to be ready. Even before we "hung a half a hunerd on 'em" they were out there getting the ever so important playing time and doing what teams do to win. He never let injuries stop us from winning. At OU, we don't rebuild; we reload...Barry Switzer

There is one important difference between college football NOW and football then.

1. Bud Wilkinson could have 210 players max on the team. Of those, he was allowed to designate 2 platoons of players each week (20 each). College wasn't much different than the pros at that point.

2. Barry Switzer started coaching right after the unlimited scholarship era dominated by USC and Texas. He was allowed to have 105 players on scholarship, but most of his best teams (73,74,75) were recruited in the last unlimited scholarship year when OU offered so many players it wasn't even funny (because they were grandfathered in). He then took a nosedive when scholarships were limited to 95 (81-83) and then won a national championship in 85 after he adjusted to the 95 man limit (mainly by using the unlimited walkon rule - sound familiar?).

You can't compare the 3 eras because Switzer and Wilkinson had MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more margin for error with regard to injuries.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 02:36 AM
The problem isn't that Stoops isn't a good coach, it's that he isn't as good as he was.

1st, I agree with this.

2nd, everyone is lauding Switzer in this thread, but forgetting that he was almost fired in 83 for the same problem.

okiegirl
11/20/2011, 02:46 AM
THANK GAWD IT WASN'T A TWO DECADE AGO?? I have not read any posts yet but gimme Stoops over any of the 90 guys..I I prefer winning and being in a bowl game over nothing!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 02:49 AM
And one more point about comparing the National Titles. Would you not agree that the degree of difficulty in winning a National Title has gone up just a tad since the BCS came out? Switzer won 3 MNCs because teams lost their bowl games. In only 1 of them did we actually have a direct say in that (85 against Penn State) and even then we needed Miami to get destroyed by Tennessee to pull it out. Heck, in 74 we didn't even go to a bowl game and won the MNC (and the best team we played ended up with an 8-3 record).

This isn't to say that we don't have problems -> I stated at the beginning of the season that our defense resembled a twinkee which it has resembled time and time again this year.

Blue
11/20/2011, 02:51 AM
we should cancel football for everybody outside the SEC and just play a round robin.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 02:52 AM
we should cancel football for everybody outside the SEC and just play a round robin.

It sure would cut down on the post-loss meltdowns.

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 02:55 AM
Bud and The King also had unlimited scholarships and practice time. and so did everyone else. We don't have any extra favors over any other team but oSu beat Baylor by 35 points. Do you really think that what happened to us today would of happened under Bud or Barry's watch when it didn't happen under Gundys?

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 03:15 AM
I remember Switzer pulling the starters before the half...........many times. I remember Jason White playing in the middle of the 4th with OU up by 40.I remember MOST of our key players still being out there long after we had the game won. Antonio Perkins should not have been out there the day he was injured, right before we played Colorado. I also remember Stoops snapping at a news reporter when asked the following Tuesday about why he leaves our key players in the game after its well in hand.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 03:17 AM
and so did everyone else. We don't have any extra favors over any other team but oSu beat Baylor by 35 points. Do you really think that what happened to us today would of happened under Bud or Barry's watch when it didn't happen under Gundys?

Considering that these oddball games DID happen on their watch then yes, I do. Switzer had 3 straight 8-4 seasons. Switzer had games where we fumbled the ball 8 times. That is why we play the games.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 03:31 AM
I remember MOST of our key players still being out there long after we had the game won. Antonio Perkins should not have been out there the day he was injured, right before we played Colorado. I also remember Stoops snapping at a news reporter when asked the following Tuesday about why he leaves our key players in the game after its well in hand.

So we've beaten this one to death before and I think it is pretty much a given that no one understands why he keeps his starters out there that long. However, outside of Perkins, most of our injuries to starters have been while the game was in doubt. Are you arguing that them playing so many plays wears their body out to the point they break down? I mean there was evidence of this with players from the 2000-2003 teams when they got to the pros, but not so much since then (as we've upgraded the calibre of athlete and downgraded their ability to play football).

Blue
11/20/2011, 03:35 AM
You can't win that argument. If they get hurt its bc they play too much if he rested them when we have a close 4 quarter loss its bc he rested them and they weren't conditioned to play 4 quarters.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 03:41 AM
You can't win that argument. If they get hurt its bc they play too much if he rested them when we have a close 4 quarter loss its bc he rested them and they weren't conditioned to play 4 quarters.

This is a message board, no one ever wins an argument, they just think they do. I'm just saying that MM hit on something that I hadn't thought of with regard to how we recruit. If the feedback from 2000-2003 from the pros was that Stoops had capped their athletic potential and no one was going to draft OU defenders anymore, then it could be why we've moved to trying to get super athletes and make them football players (instead of the other way around).

And yes, it is a catch-22 regardless of how Stoops plays this.

colscuba
11/20/2011, 04:05 AM
We have no Defense. Haven't since Mike Stoops left. since he is out of a job, it's time to let Venerables go and rehire Mike

llsooner7
11/20/2011, 05:47 AM
I think it would be in everyones best interest if Venebles got a head coaching gig this offseason.

wishbonesooner
11/20/2011, 06:47 AM
OU has made Bob a very wealthy man. He has built a castle for his family. He made this statement at the celebration following the 2000 championship. "You shouldn't thank me for winning a national championship, you should expect it from me". Bob isn't earning that 4-5 million dollars a year he's getting paid. It really is that simple.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
11/20/2011, 07:36 AM
Just some food for thought, since we are f'ing morons, since Mangino and Mike Stoops left has OU won anything that really matters....yeah I know that we have numerous Big 12 championships but in the big scheme of things those are just that a conference championship. I would give up a dozen of them for another NC win.

oumartin
11/20/2011, 08:09 AM
I love everyone defending defending this staff. While we are making excuses with our injuries and can't win em all attitude and winning a NC takes luck etc,etc,etc and we got 7 conference championships, LSU is over in the corner knocking up our prom date and fixing to win it's third NC in ten years.

lexred
11/20/2011, 08:38 AM
Complacency is the reason for the ultimate demise of most coaches. Bud had a great run but basically quit coaching and left the program to Gomer Jones for the last several years. He wanted to get into politics ( ran for US Senate). The same can be said for Barry who let the program spiral out of control with problem players. Barry's last few years were ugly. Now we see the same thing starting to happen with Bob Stoops. Probably the worst thing for Bob was winning the MNC so early. It was great for OU, but not for Bob's ego. He put togather a remarkable and hungry staff at first, but that has changed.

Bob has become a very wealthy man because of OU. The fact that complacency has set in does not deminish his accomplishments, but those PAST accomplishments cannot continue to be used as an excuse for not addressing current performance.
Perhaps the expectations for this year were unrealistic, but the fact remains we have not beaten a really good team this year, and have lost to one pretty good and one bad team. We still have the "Disappointment Bowl" in Stoolwater and we are sending a disappointed/underachiving/demoralized team to play a team that can "salvage" thier season with a win over OU. No, I didn't forget about ISU, but we will probably hang half a hundered on them in Norman and the pumpers can yell all is well...... for one week.

PLaw
11/20/2011, 08:57 AM
We have 7 National Titles since they started handing them out in 1933 -> That was 77 years ago or once every 11 years. I'm not at all happy about the state of some parts of the program, but don't try to rewrite history as if we've won one every 2 years since they started handing them out.

true, but . . . . when you think about how many years we have come within 1 play, 1 quarter, 1 half, or 1 game of winning the title you just shake your head. The degrees of separation from 7 and about 15 is very thin.

BOOMER

soonercoop1
11/20/2011, 09:04 AM
Remember when we would laugh at Tech's gimmicky Offense...now OU's is just as gimmicky with a soft porous D just like Tech....either BV is replaced at the end of the season or Stoops can go with him...maybe we can get Urban...

winout
11/20/2011, 09:12 AM
Problem with Stoops teams is they play to the talent level of the competition. It is a different era so you can't compare to Wilk and Switz. Wilk won one NC where he lost his bowl game. Figure that one out.

He is a good quality man that has done a lot of for our U. I do wish he would make more changes in the coaching staff.

Stoops = Lloyd Carr.

toast
11/20/2011, 09:20 AM
I love everyone defending defending this staff. While we are making excuses with our injuries and can't win em all attitude and winning a NC takes luck etc,etc,etc and we got 7 conference championships, LSU is over in the corner knocking up our prom date and fixing to win it's third NC in ten years.

and they still won't have been to as many BCS champ games as we have under Stoops. Obviously they've WON the games, but don't act like we haven't had the chance under Stoops.

PLaw
11/20/2011, 09:31 AM

Well, there were a few others in the Switzer era -- OB v. Arky???

oumartin
11/20/2011, 09:36 AM
and they still won't have been to as many BCS champ games as we have under Stoops. Obviously they've WON the games, but don't act like we haven't had the chance under Stoops.

yeah, cuz everyone knows how important NC appearances are ten years from now..

dumb

Trophy Husband
11/20/2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah I'm in agreement, Stoops hasn't done anything for this program...

So "doing something" for the program means he gets a pass?

toast
11/20/2011, 09:39 AM
yeah, cuz everyone knows how important NC appearances are ten years from now..

dumb

must get there first in order to win them, so it means he's doing something right.

Trophy Husband
11/20/2011, 09:40 AM
And one more point about comparing the National Titles. Would you not agree that the degree of difficulty in winning a National Title has gone up just a tad since the BCS came out? Switzer won 3 MNCs because teams lost their bowl games. In only 1 of them did we actually have a direct say in that (85 against Penn State) and even then we needed Miami to get destroyed by Tennessee to pull it out. Heck, in 74 we didn't even go to a bowl game and won the MNC (and the best team we played ended up with an 8-3 record).

This isn't to say that we don't have problems -> I stated at the beginning of the season that our defense resembled a twinkee which it has resembled time and time again this year.

and none of this means a thing, today, right here and now. Until Bob overhauls his coaching staff (get rid of Patton, BV and Martinez) this same thing will happen EVERY year. We will lose 2-3 games to teams with inferior talent. The T Tech game should have thrown up a huge red flag.

Trophy Husband
11/20/2011, 09:42 AM
must get there first in order to win them, so it means he's doing something right.

The fact that we "got there" does not have a damn thing to do with what is happening right here, right now. BV HAS to go, but Bob wont fire him because he's Bob's lil buddy. Instead he will blame the players, blame the fans. We'll here "daaa, we've had a geat deal of success with BV".

PhilTLL
11/20/2011, 09:48 AM
People won't be happy until we overhaul and go 7-5, 6-6, 4-8 for a stretch.

Edit to put on flame-retardant suit: I still think the 2008 title game was an insanely lost opportunity. THAT one kills me.

toast
11/20/2011, 09:54 AM
People won't be happy until we overhaul and go 7-5, 6-6, 4-8 for a stretch.

Edit to put on flame-retardant suit: I still think the 2008 title game was an insanely lost opportunity. THAT one kills me.

yup, and all of these football geniuses who have everything figured out will still be griping. defense was horrid last night, we understand that. but to sit back and bitch about what this staff has done is stupid, there are a handful of teams at best that have had as a good as run as we have. should there be some shake-up in the defensive staff? probably so.

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 10:18 AM
I was going to say something, but i'm going to shut up.

PDXsooner
11/20/2011, 10:20 AM
Alight, can someone please name me a program you'd like OU to be like, and we'll compare results over the last decade.

TMcGee86
11/20/2011, 10:22 AM
The sad fact is, Switzer didn't have a single season where he won a championship the way Bob is forced to do now. In 74 he didn't have to play a bowl game and never faced the #2 team that year, in 75 he lost to Kansas and played the #5 team in the bowl game as the #3 team, he wouldn't have even been in the NC picture with the BCS, and in 85 he beat the #1 team, but wouldn't have been in the BCS championship game as he was #3 and had lost to #2 earlier in the year.

This is a different era. Under the old system, Bob probably has at least 3 championships right now.

That being said, the defense sux. Fire Venerables.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/20/2011, 10:52 AM

THIS

70sooner
11/20/2011, 11:05 AM
shouldn't all this be on the Meltdown Thread????

jes sayin.....

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 11:29 AM
Alight, can someone please name me a program you'd like OU to be like, and we'll compare results over the last decade.Ok, i'll bite....LSU.
The reasons, CONSISTENCY on defense, solid offenses but the team does not seem to ever fall off on D, how many championships have they won? Since 2000 how many times have they been in the 25? Inside the top 10? Top 5?
And are you going to tell me that Les is a better coach than Bob? He's lucky.....but there is NOBODY that damn lucky.

proudsoonergal
11/20/2011, 11:32 AM
Alight, can someone please name me a program you'd like OU to be like, and we'll compare results over the last decade.

I'm curious about that as well. I get why people are upset about last night - I am too - but seriously, people. Please name me a coach in the last two decades that has consistently won (conference championships or MNCs), stayed there, and run basically a clean program?

Options off the top of my head:

Since I happen to live in Austin, meaning I've gotten to witness the implosion that is UT football for the last two years (which, btw, has been delightful), I doubt anyone will pick Texas.
USC?
LSU?
Alabama?
Florida?
Ohio State?
Michigan?
Notre Dame?
Penn State?
Nebraska?
Miami?
Florida State?

proudsoonergal
11/20/2011, 11:37 AM
Ok, i'll bite....LSU.
The reasons, CONSISTENCY on defense, solid offenses but the team does not seem to ever fall off on D, how many championships have they won? Since 2000 how many times have they been in the 25? Inside the top 10? Top 5?
And are you going to tell me that Les is a better coach than Bob? He's lucky.....but there is NOBODY that damn lucky.

Okay. LSU. Since 2000 (and this is from cfbdatawarehouse.com):

2000: 8-4, no championship (under Nick Saban)
2001: 10-3, SEC West
2002: 8-5, no championship
2003: 13-1, SEC & MNC
2004: 9-3, no championship
2005: 11-2, SEC West (under Les Miles)
2006: 11-2, no championship
2007: 12-2, SEC & MNC
2008: 8-5, no championship
2009: 9-4, no championship
2010: 11-2, no chamipionship
2011: 11-0 and counting

So, since 2000, they've had two coaches, won 2 MNCs, 2 SEC championships (in the same year as the MNC), 2 divisionals, and lost 33 games.

proudsoonergal
11/20/2011, 11:44 AM
And, in the polls:

year AP Coaches
2000 22 28
2001 7 8
2003 2 1
2004 16 16
2005 6 5
2006 3 3
2007 1 1
2008 not ranked
2009 17 17
2010 8 8

OU_Sooners75
11/20/2011, 11:48 AM

You're right...we are spoiled in thinking we should be better with the consistent 4 and 5 star recruits we get.

We are spoiled in thinking that we should be able to beat Baylor...****ing BAYLOR...and 5-6 Texas Tech at home.

There are more overrated coaches out there than Stoops...but until he commits himself to being the best football program..,.until he embraces the tradition and expectations of the fans like he did when he first got here...until he wins another national championship...he will be overrated in the eyes of may Sooner Fans.

I for one do not think he is overrated. But I do think he is complacent and willing to stay that way unless forced to change!

It is time our fans, OU administrators, and BOR hold Stoops accountable for the complacency and say no more raises until he wins another national championship.

Hell, if I was the HMFIC of things, I would redo his contract (and all coaches contracts) and make it an incentive base contract.

Say something like this:

Base pay $1 million
win 10 games in a season +300K
win 12 games in a season +500K
win conference title +750K
Win National Championship +5.5 million
Go undefeated +500K
Lose to a team with 5+ losses -200K
Lose to a team with 3+ losses -100K

I know these are not real numbers....just an example of my thinking. And yes, I am aware no one would want to sign a contract with the last two points...LOL

But instead of being guaranteed 4 million a year, I think any and all coaches should not be guaranteed a certain amount...but make it where they can make that much or more by the teams performance.

Guaranteed contracts always spawn complacency!

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 11:50 AM
I think it would be in everyones best interest if Venebles got a head coaching gig this offseason.
In everyone's but whoever was stupid enough to give him a head coaching gig. But don't worry cause there isn't anyone that stupid.

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 12:02 PM

So, since 2000, they've had two coaches, won 2 MNCs, 2 SEC championships (in the same year as the MNC), 2 divisionals, and lost 33 games.And ya know what? They are about to get another MNC. We as OU fans expect greatness every year.
Long term excellence, versus the average SEC short term "grab the gold and get the **** out" type of run even if it means not having a season of greatness.

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 12:05 PM
In everyone's but whoever was stupid enough to give him a head coaching gig. But don't worry cause there isn't anyone that stupid.Yeah it puzzles me that his name gets mentioned, it makes you wonder if the people who want him(in a great way, lol)ever pay attention to the defenses he puts on the field.
If last night is anyway of telling the future then those deep balls we were burnt on should help him get a job elsewhere.

Those phones are about to ring off the hook. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 12:10 PM
The only peeps who seriously talk about BV & head coaching jobs are the Kool Aid drinkers on here. If he ever has been seriously considered for a head coaching job those days have passed.

SOONER44EVER
11/20/2011, 12:13 PM
Switzer USUALLY lost to teams with equal or more talent..Texas, Nebraska, Miami. Stoops usually loses to teams with less, maybe even far less talent...Tech, Baylor, BYU, Va Tech and on and on.

soonerloyal
11/20/2011, 12:15 PM
Somebody roundhouse kick the OP in the nards for us all.

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 12:21 PM
Somebody roundhouse kick the OP in the nards for us all.

All of us? I'm not saying I'm in total agreement with the OP but he doesn't seem to be the only one thinking his way.

Sooner_Tuf
11/20/2011, 12:36 PM
I've always thought it dumb to act like a lemming unless you were born one.

PDXsooner
11/20/2011, 12:36 PM

So, since 2000, they've had two coaches, won 2 MNCs, 2 SEC championships (in the same year as the MNC), 2 divisionals, and lost 33 games.

Well said, Soonergal. You posted what I would have. LSU is the only team that can even compare. Ohio State would have been a good comparison up until this year. Florida, USC, Texas, Bama, they all fall short.

The one thing LSU has over us is NC's. They have 1.5, we have 1. One of theirs was during a 2-loss season when they lost to Kentucky!!! We all know winning national championships is a combination of being great, combined with some serious luck and timing.

I agree the defense has dropped off in the last few years, and it is frustrating. I just think people need to stop and think about exactly what it is you want? To win the NC every year? Yeah, good luck. I'll take an 8th Big 12 title under Stoops, another great run at a NC, and the hope and expectation that we're in the hunt again next year.

You idiots calling for his head can go ahead and hire some sexy Johnny-come-lately and be the next Notre Dame.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 12:45 PM
and none of this means a thing, today, right here and now. Until Bob overhauls his coaching staff (get rid of Patton, BV and Martinez) this same thing will happen EVERY year. We will lose 2-3 games to teams with inferior talent. The T Tech game should have thrown up a huge red flag.

We've been through this on this board before. New coaches, for the most part, basically waste their first 2 recruiting classes when they arrive. You are talking about taking some weak positions and then having 1-2 MORE recruiting classes flame out.

That being said, I think you have to take that risk with Patton. The other 2 I'm not as sure.

misplaced_sooner
11/20/2011, 01:01 PM
Well said, Soonergal. You posted what I would have. LSU is the only team that can even compare. Ohio State would have been a good comparison up until this year. Florida, USC, Texas, Bama, they all fall short.

The one thing LSU has over us is NC's. They have 1.5, we have 1. One of theirs was during a 2-loss season when they lost to Kentucky!!! We all know winning national championships is a combination of being great, combined with some serious luck and timing.

I agree the defense has dropped off in the last few years, and it is frustrating. I just think people need to stop and think about exactly what it is you want? To win the NC every year? Yeah, good luck. I'll take an 8th Big 12 title under Stoops, another great run at a NC, and the hope and expectation that we're in the hunt again next year.You idiots calling for his head can go ahead and hire some sexy Johnny-come-lately and be the next Notre Dame.

I think most fans are frustrated about the losses to what we see as less taleneted programs. If OU had gone toe to toe with Bama/LSU/Oregon etc and lost this season, I don't think I, and many others, would be tired of seeing OU lay an egg each season. Think back to the Colorado game is what...07? That was the start and it hasn't improved since then.

BOTTOM LINE: Losing to Tech, Colorado, Baylor, WV, not acceptable--losing to Florida, LSU, USC(if it wasn't a blow out) is understandable.

The defense has been suspect for the last 4/5 seasons, which indicates a coaching issue not a talent/players issue. BV looks lost at times, the D isn't disciplined and blows assignments/containments regularly. That is coaching, not talent. Time to shake up the defensive staff, but I want Bobby to stay.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 01:01 PM
So on Martinez...

Here is when I knew we were in trouble in the secondary this season (thus me stating that we were weak all the way up the middle DT/LB/S).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfNSB6oKO0

He is coaching at the 12:00 mark or so. At about 13:40 Demontre Hurst is like 'I have no idea what he is saying'.

StoopTroup
11/20/2011, 01:05 PM
LOL!! Just announced Griffen breaks the Baylor passing yards per game record against the OU defense.
Either our players suck. Or our coaches do. Which is it??

Maybe RGIII is an amazing QB?

No cant be that

delhalew
11/20/2011, 01:05 PM
I won't be calling for Bob's head.

I will say this...Feed the Monster!

Bob had better take these problems seriously, and do whatever it takes to put a stop to it, including firing a buddy or admitting that some of his own philosophies are not working.

The time for being smug is over. No one gets to ride past glories forever.

Fix it, or somebody will fix it for you.

soonercoop1
11/20/2011, 01:06 PM
Many have realized for a long time that OUs D scheme is too difficult...OU will never win another MNC with the current schemes and coaching staff...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 01:13 PM
I think most fans are frustrated about the losses to what we see as less taleneted programs. If OU had gone toe to toe with Bama/LSU/Oregon etc and lost this season, I don't think I, and many others, would be tired of seeing OU lay an egg each season. Think back to the Colorado game is what...07? That was the start and it hasn't improved since then.

BOTTOM LINE: Losing to Tech, Colorado, Baylor, WV, not acceptable--losing to Florida, LSU, USC(if it wasn't a blow out) is understandable.

The defense has been suspect for the last 4/5 seasons, which indicates a coaching issue not a talent/players issue. BV looks lost at times, the D isn't disciplined and blows assignments/containments regularly. That is coaching, not talent. Time to shake up the defensive staff, but I want Bobby to stay.

It ultimately ALL falls on the coaching staff, but I think you'd be surprised at how off your assumptions are.

1. The secondary has consistently had problems processing information on checks/keys. Outside of the 1999/2000 recruiting classes I can't remember us fielding a full unit that was good at it (and even they had issues in games like KState 2001/OSU 2002).
2. The linebackers just aren't very physical

Both of these are coaching issues, in that we aren't getting the guys that CAN do them. So it CAN be the players, but its still the fault of the guys that recruited them and that is why I agree with your premise that we need a defensive shakeup.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 01:17 PM
Many have realized for a long time that OUs D scheme is too difficult...OU will never win another MNC with the current schemes and coaching staff...

Yes, but then they say that we need to mix more man with zone which makes it even more complicated. Honestly, our D was much better when we were doing our boring Zone Blitz Tampa 2, but we couldn't recruit to the scheme so it ultimately faded away.

The Baylor game was much like the OSU 2002 game, they saw weakness at one position and then ran plays specifically designed to exploit that weakness.

soonercoop1
11/20/2011, 01:22 PM
Yes, but then they say that we need to mix more man with zone which makes it even more complicated. Honestly, our D was much better when we were doing our boring Zone Blitz Tampa 2, but we couldn't recruit to the scheme so it ultimately faded away.

The Baylor game was much like the OSU 2002 game, they saw weakness at one position and then ran plays specifically designed to exploit that weakness.

Unfortunately OUs D seems to have that "weakness" more often than not...if Bob doesn't recognize change is needed he will be in trouble...gotta feed the monster...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately OUs D seems to have that "weakness" more often than not...if Bob doesn't recognize change is needed he will be in trouble...gotta feed the monster...

Yeah, but remember the "weakness" started with the secondary on Mike Stoops watch. He had great recruiting classes in 1999 and 2000 and then one player panned out from the 2001-3 recruiting classes. Our talent level in the secondary has been really bad since 2004 with them occasionally jelling into a decent defense. At about the time it started to turn around under BJW, then our linebacker talent went into the toilet. sigh.

LiveLaughLove
11/20/2011, 01:30 PM
All I know is it was 15 long years between NCs for the last two. It's been 11 and counting now.

I really bought in to this year being the year. Now I don't foresee when THAT year will be.

Not calling for Stoops' head, but I think he needs to make some severe changes in the D.

Still proud of them, still love cheering them on, but it is what it is.

LesNessman
11/20/2011, 01:30 PM

AMEN to this!!!

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 01:31 PM

I agree the defense has dropped off in the last few years, and it is frustrating. I just think people need to stop and think about exactly what it is you want? To win the NC every year? Yeah, good luck. I'll take an 8th Big 12 title under Stoops, another great run at a NC, and the hope and expectation that we're in the hunt again next year.

You idiots calling for his head can go ahead and hire some sexy Johnny-come-lately and be the next Notre Dame.Yeah calling for Bobs head is suicide, but there does need to be changes.
But i'm no coach, thats what the men making the big $$$ do. If we go out and jackhammer OSU, I would be happy.....at least the season would not be a total loss. :D

LesNessman
11/20/2011, 01:31 PM

And AMEN to this too!!

BudSooner
11/20/2011, 01:33 PM
I'll support this team, when they play any sucker...anywhere.

BOOMER!

StoopTroup
11/20/2011, 01:56 PM

By change you mean Winning? Don't say you don't mean that because you'd be saying that he needs to change the offense if we'd have lost the game 3-0 to Baylor.

I think what we need to do is recruit people that don't get injured. Where do all these pussies come from?

Oh yeah, Fexas

Give it a rest. There are things that even Coaches can't prepare for. Once they have assembled their Team they must always due with what they have. Bob and Venables have done as good as most anyone in the Country.

The person that will ultimately ruin things was fired but was allowed to remain in charge of the Big XII way to long. Our Conference is in shambles. The Officiating last night almost seemed like a personal vendetta to OU last night.

It was as bad as the PAC 10 game we played in Oregon.

OU Fans should be focusing on what the real problem is. Boren is a really terrific President who I think is very Honest and loves our State. Unfortunately we are much better than most teams in the Big XII and have been for a very long time. We have constantly had to play up to the challenges of poor officiating for nearly 5-6 years now.

The amount of disruption that is going on in order to confuse our Players is amazing IMO.

The Big XII needs to fire a bunch of referees that seemingly have a hard on for us in critical games. RGIII is a great QB but no way they were held to the same standards last night.

I feel better for saying this and I know it will be viewed as an excuse but I really don't care. I don't think we are the only Teams to Suffer such occurrences but last night was pretty awful. The Big XII lost another Team when they needed to represent the Conference the most. It was an awful display of fair play, especially the first half.

If any of you can get over the fact that we lost for more than two seconds you should take a moment and review the calls that were made last night that if had been called the same way for us....the outcome would have been much different. I have thought that Bob's biggest mistake is to continue to try and be a good sport and Coach the Team to try and over come the inequities when they occur. I am very surprised he hasn't snapped yet and made a public statement about it and taken a fine and some discipline over it.

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 02:07 PM
The only peeps who seriously talk about BV & head coaching jobs are the Kool Aid drinkers on here. If he ever has been seriously considered for a head coaching job those days have passed.After that embarrassing display last night, Venebles should volunteer to leave and take all his do nothing defensive helpers with him.

With all these injury problems, our conditioning coach needs a wake up call too. LSU uses martial arts to bring agility. Other teams use dance or gymnastics. We just use gurneys and bandages.

PLaw
11/20/2011, 02:13 PM
There is one important difference between college football NOW and football then.

1. Bud Wilkinson could have 210 players max on the team. Of those, he was allowed to designate 2 platoons of players each week (20 each). College wasn't much different than the pros at that point.

2. Barry Switzer started coaching right after the unlimited scholarship era dominated by USC and Texas. He was allowed to have 105 players on scholarship, but most of his best teams (73,74,75) were recruited in the last unlimited scholarship year when OU offered so many players it wasn't even funny (because they were grandfathered in). He then took a nosedive when scholarships were limited to 95 (81-83) and then won a national championship in 85 after he adjusted to the 95 man limit (mainly by using the unlimited walkon rule - sound familiar?).

You can't compare the 3 eras because Switzer and Wilkinson had MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more margin for error with regard to injuries.

To point (1) above: But so did every other major program. It wasn't like OU had more than any of the other major programs. Moreover, the blue chip programs still sign blue chip players. There are some exceptions, but top 20 today has many of the same programs that were in the top 20 back in the day. The more the game has changed, the more it has stayed the same.

Boomer

btb916
11/20/2011, 02:43 PM
Under Bud Wilkinson:

7-3 in 1959

3-6-1 in 1960

5-5 in 1961

8-3 in 1962

The 1950s were a magical period for OU football, but Wilkinson had some very bad years...and of course others have chronicled some of Switzer's failures as coach.

soonercastor
11/20/2011, 02:50 PM
By change you mean Winning? Don't say you don't mean that because you'd be saying that he needs to change the offense if we'd have lost the game 3-0 to Baylor.

I think what we need to do is recruit people that don't get injured. Where do all these pussies come from?

Oh yeah, Fexas

Give it a rest. There are things that even Coaches can't prepare for. Once they have assembled their Team they must always due with what they have. Bob and Venables have done as good as most anyone in the Country.

The person that will ultimately ruin things was fired but was allowed to remain in charge of the Big XII way to long. Our Conference is in shambles. The Officiating last night almost seemed like a personal vendetta to OU last night.

OU Fans should be focusing on what the real problem is. Boren is a really terrific President who I think is very Honest and loves our State. Unfortunately we are much better than most teams in the Big XII and have been for a very long time. We have constantly had to play up to the challenges of poor officiating for nearly 5-6 years now.

The amount of disruption that is going on in order to confuse our Players is amazing IMO.

The Big XII needs to fire a bunch of referees that seemingly have a hard on for us in critical games. RGIII is a great QB but no way they were held to the same standards last night.

I feel better for saying this and I know it will be viewed as an excuse but I really don't care. I don't think we are the only Teams to Suffer such occurrences but last night was pretty awful. The Big XII lost another Team when they needed to represent the Conference the most. It was an awful display of fair play, especially the first half.

If any of you can get over the fact that we lost for more than two seconds you should take a moment and review the calls that were made last night that if had been called the same way for us....the outcome would have been much different. I have thought that Bob's biggest mistake is to continue to try and be a good sport and Coach the Team to try and over come the inequities when they occur. I am very surprised he hasn't snapped yet and made a public statement about it and taken a fine and some discipline over it.

Oh come on man!

lexred
11/20/2011, 02:56 PM
Under Bud Wilkinson:

7-3 in 1959

3-6-1 in 1960

5-5 in 1961

8-3 in 1962

The 1950s were a magical period for OU football, but Wilkinson had some very bad years...and of course others have chronicled some of Switzer's failures as coach.

As I said in an earlier post, Bud basically quit coaching around 1958. Gomer Jones and the assistants ran the show and the record started to spiral down. The 8-3 year included a loss to Alabama ( and Leroy Jordan) in the Orange bowl. As an interesting story, OU lost the first 5 games in 1961 and the "brutal" part of the schedule was yet to come. Bud came on his weekly TV show, With Howard Neuman, looked straight at the camra, and said we will win the next five. Folks thought ol Bud had lost it, but win they did. Trick plays, different formations, etc. Bud retired after 1962 and Gomer took over for two bad seasons.

tulsaoilerfan
11/20/2011, 02:59 PM

Oh yeah, Fexas

If any of you can get over the fact that we lost for more than two seconds you should take a moment and review the calls that were made last night that if had been called the same way for us....the outcome would have been much different. I have thought that Bob's biggest mistake is to continue to try and be a good sport and Coach the Team to try and over come the inequities when they occur. I am very surprised he hasn't snapped yet and made a public statement about it and taken a fine and some discipline over it. just once I wish u could admit our coaches cost us 2 or 3 games every year

btb916
11/20/2011, 03:03 PM
As I said in an earlier post, Bud basically quit coaching around 1958. Gomer Jones and the assistants ran the show and the record started to spiral down. The 8-3 year included a loss to Alabama ( and Leroy Jordan) in the Orange bowl. As an interesting story, OU lost the first 5 games in 1961 and the "brutal" part of the schedule was yet to come. Bud came on his weekly TV show, With Howard Neuman, looked straight at the camra, and said we will win the next five. Folks thought ol Bud had lost it, but win they did. Trick plays, different formations, etc. Bud retired after 1962 and Gomer took over for two bad seasons.

I saw your post, but since you didn't mention the season records I thought it was important for people to see that even the greatest coaches have some bad stretches, because even if Gomer Jones was running the show, Wilkinson was ultimately responsible...

Stoops is a magnificent coach who has some weaknesses that have become very apparent...but no one else on earth over the past decade + has been as consistently dominant as Stoops and OU in college football. We've lost a bunch we shouldn't have, but you can't win 'em all, as Notre Dame will tell you...

That said I am extremely disappointed in this year's team, both in the coaching and execution. So much wasted potential all around.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2011, 03:06 PM
What rating system are we going off of?

Salt City Sooner
11/20/2011, 03:16 PM

You idiots calling for his head can go ahead and hire some sexy Johnny-come-lately and be the next Notre Dame.
This. I'd also add the fact that LSU has won 4 BCS bowls, every single one of which was played in New Orleans. Y'all are going to have to forgive me for thinking that our record would be a game or 2 better if we'd had a luxury like that instead of having to venture into enemy territory in 3 of the 4 title games we've been in.

TUSooner
11/20/2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah I'm in agreement, Stoops hasn't done anything for this program...That's some cute 5th grade sarcasm, but of course nobody ever said that. It's more like "When did he decide he's done enough?"

3rdgensooner
11/20/2011, 03:44 PM
This. I'd also add the fact that LSU has won 4 BCS bowls, every single one of which was played in New Orleans. Y'all are going to have to forgive me for thinking that our record would be a game or 2 better if we'd had a luxury like that instead of having to venture into enemy territory in 3 of the 4 title games we've been in.This is such a forgotten point about the SEC and its MNC record.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/20/2011, 03:51 PM
To point (1) above: But so did every other major program. It wasn't like OU had more than any of the other major programs. Moreover, the blue chip programs still sign blue chip players. There are some exceptions, but top 20 today has many of the same programs that were in the top 20 back in the day. The more the game has changed, the more it has stayed the same.

Boomer

Yes, but outside of that Top 20 no one had any talent because it was all sucked up by the big schools.

For example, in the 2000 recruiting class we offered Wes Welker as a walkon because we were out of scholarships. Mike Leach left for TTech and then offered him a scholly. If we were allowed to have 95 scholarship athletes, Wes Welker would have gotten a Scholly and played here. Those extra scholarship suck talent out of the lower tier schools heavily favoring the powerhouse schools. So losing 7 players to injury now is closer to losing 20 players to injury back in those 2 eras.

As an aside, it is the same reason that Texas won their 2 MNCs in the late 60s. With Unlimited Scholarships they signed 100's of kids and left the cupboard bare for everyone (including us). The only thing that saved us was that they were racist and we weren't. We signed black athletes because they were all that was left to recruit.

Curly Bill
11/20/2011, 05:12 PM
Did I really see ST get on here and blame the officials? Cone on ST that's some embarrassing stuff - it's junior high parent blame the officials because my kids team lost is what it is.

David Earl
11/20/2011, 05:56 PM
IF Oklahoma was to fire Stoops, there'd be plenty of other programs lined up to hire him the next day. You people have had your discussion and bashing session... time to move on.

C&CDean
11/20/2011, 06:55 PM
I hear velcro...