PDA

View Full Version : Bone marrow donor? Be The Match.

cleller
11/19/2011, 07:21 PM
I shocked my wife about a year ago by signing up for the Be The Match bone marrow registry. I'm normally known for my pain aversion philosophy, and general non-touchy-feely, attitude. I saw something on TV about this, undoubtedly a heart tugging story about some infinitely lovable person saved by a bone marrow procedure. This is for cancer patients, leukemia, etc.

Right now, I have the time to possibly do this. This is probably stupid, but because I have type B- blood, which is relatively uncommon, I thought maybe I would be more likely to help someone. So, I signed up, sent in my mouth swabs, and am now on the registry. If selected, there are two ways it could go. An easy route, like giving plasma is most likely, but its possible you might have to be given anesthesia, and go that way. You do have the right to decline.

If you have a relaxed schedule, and think maybe someday you could help out someone's loved one, look into it. Shoot, it could be someone I actually like that you help. They are not pushy, but do ask for a donation to help process your profile and get you in the database. Optional, of course.
Be The Match:
http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

soonerbrat
11/20/2011, 11:59 AM
funny you should bring this up. i signed up in 1997 and I recently have been conctacted as a possible match. they had me fill out a health questionnaire online about a month ago but I haven't heard anything since.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/20/2011, 01:56 PM
I just a bone donor.

My wife is a match.

3rdgensooner
11/20/2011, 02:00 PM
I've been on the list for a while now. I've yet to be contacted as a match.

Peach Fuzz
11/20/2011, 02:03 PM
Anyone know of a site where they list blood types and how common they are?

badger
11/20/2011, 04:16 PM
Anyone know of a site where they list blood types and how common they are?

This is probably something that Wikipedia would be as good for as anything else.

In the United States:
37.4% are O+
35.7% are A+
8.5% are B+
3.4% are AB+
6.6% are O-
6.3% are A-
1.5% are B-
0.6% are AB-

It apparently varies from country to country. Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type)

If your real question is what blood types donate for other blood types, there's a graph on the wikipedia page I linked. I'm O-negative, which means I can receive from anyone, but can only donate to other O-negatives. If you're AB+, the American Red Cross is wondering how you can selfishly hold back your golden blood that would save any life that needed blood. :D

soonerbrat
11/20/2011, 06:56 PM
no, if you are O- you can only receive O-
if your are AB+ you can receive from anyone

O- can donate to anyone
AB- can only donate to AB-

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2011, 06:59 PM
I am A-. Because it's a more rare type, I get called to donate all the time. Unfortunately I can't because I am anemic.

badger
11/20/2011, 07:10 PM
no, if you are O- you can only receive O-
if your are AB+ you can receive from anyone

O- can donate to anyone
AB- can only donate to AB-

So I had it backwards? :D

I think I'm near-universal but not quite... maybe I'm actually O-positive? I dunno. Here's hoping I'm not in any accident so I don't need to remember my blood type, heh

Tulsa_Fireman
11/20/2011, 07:17 PM
C'MON, type O Sooners!

SHOW 'EM YOUR O FACE!

soonerbrat
11/20/2011, 07:31 PM
So I had it backwards? :D

I think I'm near-universal but not quite... maybe I'm actually O-positive? I dunno. Here's hoping I'm not in any accident so I don't need to remember my blood type, heh

yup..you had it backwards. if you're O+ you can receive O- or O+

OUthunder
11/20/2011, 07:32 PM
I just a bone donor.

My wife is a match.

heh.

soonerbrat
11/20/2011, 07:33 PM
I just a bone donor.

My wife is a match.

I don't get it.

OUthunder
11/20/2011, 07:34 PM
I don't get it.

I beg to differ.

StoopTroup
11/20/2011, 08:00 PM
I am A-. Because it's a more rare type, I get called to donate all the time. Unfortunately I can't because I am anemic.

I'm B+ and have given since 1988. I'm a marrow donor but have never been called upon. I also am an Organ Donor on my DL

I get called for blood frequently but probably not quite as much as you. It's awesome that you give. Kudos.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2011, 10:30 PM
I'm B+ and have given since 1988. I'm a marrow donor but have never been called upon. I also am an Organ Donor on my DL

I get called for blood frequently but probably not quite as much as you. It's awesome that you give. Kudos.Once my iron counts get back to normal, I'll start giving again. This summer was pure hell when the levels were so low.

soonerbrat
11/21/2011, 11:39 AM
they have a blood drive at work every 8 weeks, so I just do it here.

cleller
11/21/2011, 05:02 PM
I only found out I was B- about 5 years ago. I've never given blood due to sissified reasons, but guess I ought to contact someone about.
One thing that has kept me away is that I had Hepatitis A as a kid. I had always heard you couldn't give blood after that. More recently I've heard its only if you had Hepatitis B or C.

In reality, it probably has no bearing on anything with the marrow donations, but it was what got me off the fence, so that's good.

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 05:35 PM
Great post Cleller! I signed up to be a donor about two years ago. Did it all through the mail.