PDA

View Full Version : Making the trip to Wacko...

Soonerus
11/18/2011, 12:36 AM
I'll report back after the experience...

nighttrain12
11/18/2011, 01:00 AM

Make sure you stop by the Dr. Pepper Museum while you are there.

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2011, 01:06 AM
I'll be there too RUS... will find your RV this time! (we will be there Sat morning before noon, new RV but I will find you :)

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 02:47 AM
If anyone has any questions, I'm more than happy to answer.

EatLeadCommie
11/18/2011, 03:36 AM
I went to the Wake Forest - Baylor game a few years back. Worst tailgate ever. The Wake fans were the only ones having a tailgate

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 03:38 AM
I went to the Wake Forest - Baylor game a few years back. Worst tailgate ever. The Wake fans were the only ones having a tailgate
I seriously doubt that they were the ONLY ones. Surely there was at least one person on our side getting their pre-game on. George's Tent is always full and they've been doing their tailgate thing for decades. Nonetheless, it has sucked in the past. It's much much better now. Not quite "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" good but good.

picasso
11/18/2011, 08:49 AM
You should fit in well down there.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/18/2011, 09:22 AM

where can I find the Dave Bliss Statue?

htownsooner7
11/18/2011, 09:23 AM

Where is the best place to park? Unfortunately I can't get
There til 530 or so.

SoonerLaw09
11/18/2011, 10:08 AM
I have been to the Baylor campus, not for a game tho. Went for a high school debate camp. Saw the bears. Was pretty impressed by it, but that might have been because a couple of the girls were extra nice to me. :) Almost got beat up by an angry boyfriend. Narrowly avoided eating tainted brownies provided by dudes down the hall. Good times. :)

I have been to every single Big 12 campus with the exceptions of Mizzery and K-State, and been to a game at most of the others. Of course, ours is superior to all. However, I can say without a doubt that my second favorite is KU, for aesthetic reasons. Very visually appealing. Visiting fan experience, well the best was Nebbish until they left. After that, I'd say (oddly enough) Iowa State.

BigTip
11/18/2011, 10:19 AM

Where do you park?
Are there any places to eat close enough to park, eat, walk to stadium?

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2011, 11:07 AM
I think Waco finally has a Chili's, so it's gingerly stepped into the 80s.

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2011, 11:07 AM
Where do you park?

You park out in a big field. No eat places close enough to walk.

jumperstop
11/18/2011, 11:09 AM
Make sure you stop by the Dr. Pepper Museum while you are there.
I went there last time we were down there and it was awesome. I love me some dp and even got me some of the sugar cane Dp in the bottles. I still have a couple left and was going to drink them while watching the Baylor game. I know kinda dorky, but whatever....

rekamrettuB
11/18/2011, 11:16 AM

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Soonerus
11/18/2011, 11:20 AM
RV's park by the track. Where is a good place to eat Friday night ?

soonerinabilene
11/18/2011, 11:25 AM
Last year I paid 5 bucks, to park in a backyard across the street from the stadium. I just cant decide if I want Papa Rollos pizza or a Vitaks Gut Pack for lunch tomorrow.(its pretty much a frito pie with brisket and sausage).As far as dinner rus, I would recommend Buzzard Billys, Ninfas, or Chueys.

85sooners
11/18/2011, 11:33 AM
If anyone has any questions, I'm more than happy to answer.Where can I get a piece of nookie for under $50?

jumperstop
11/18/2011, 11:36 AM
RV's park by the track. Where is a good place to eat Friday night ?

There is a strip of restaurants by the river that we ate at last time we were down there. We ate at some Mexican place that was alright, nothing special.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 11:53 AM
Where is the best place to park? Unfortunately I can't get
There til 530 or so.
Drive west on Valley Mills Drive toward the stadium. Turn right onto Dutton Ave (just after you see the HEB grocery store). Go down Dutton and this will put you on the visitor/student side of the stadium. Park wherever you can find a space either on that side of the stadium itself or in someone's yard (no joke...costs about 10.00). George's Tent is also on this side of the stadium along with the tailgating.

Where do you park?
Unfortunately, no. Waco has virtually every fast food and chain restaurant you'd want plus an innumerable number of really great local places, but they're pretty scattered in about 3 different spots around the city. None of them are within easy walking distance of the stadium. Give me an idea of the kind of food you'd want, and I'll tell you the best place to go and how to get there from the stadium.

I think Waco finally has a Chili's, so it's gingerly stepped into the 80s.
Like most of your posts, this is pure nonsense. Waco has its issues, but a lack of restaurants is not one of them. There are, in fact, two Chillis' restaurants. One of them is located along Valley Mills Drive and the othere is located inside the Baylor parking garage on University Parks drive. There is also a Starbucks inside the garage, but if you're looking for Coffee then you'd be much better off going to a local/campus place called Common Grounds.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 11:58 AM
There is a strip of restaurants by the river that we ate at last time we were down there. We ate at some Mexican place that was alright, nothing special.
This is the warehouse area located downtown on Franklin Ave. There are a strip of restaurants plus a couple of clubs. You're probably talking about Ninfa's. The food is good but not exactly "authentic" Mexican. The big plus with Ninfa's is the cheap Ninfaritas (margaritas) that are strong and especially delicious.

In addition to Ninfa's, there is also a place called Cricket's which is a popular post-game hangout especially with the visitors. They have a HUGE beer selection on tap (by far the largest selection in Waco). The food is alright and fairly cheap. They also have a cigar lounge and an upstairs patio. The upstairs patio with a cigar and my friends is usually where I'd hang out after the games. Good times. =( There's also a somewhat upscale steak house (I say upscale by Waco standards) called Diamond Back's that I honestly do not care for along with an Italian place called Gratziano's. The italian place is "meh."

So, to recap, your best bet in the Warehouse area is either Cricket's (first choice) or Ninfa's (second).

8timechamps
11/18/2011, 12:02 PM
Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Excellent. It wasn't completely lost...I laughed.

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry, I stand corrected...Waco has two Chili's. They've bypassed the 80s and stepped into the 90s.

Lawton4Life
11/18/2011, 01:42 PM
Hey Sic Em, is there plenty of parking around Georges? We were going to get in around 4 and eat at Georges, stay for maybe an hour or so and then park in the Dutton lots maybe around 530 or so? I've been twice but once was an 11 am game and last year we just went straight to the stadium and parked and it was dark so I dont remember much!

cjames317
11/18/2011, 01:48 PM
You can park for free at Vitek's and take their shuttle to/from the stadium.

Sooner74
11/18/2011, 01:52 PM
Ninfa's. Green Sauce is FTW. The food is good and atmosphere is also good.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 02:08 PM
Hey Sic Em, is there plenty of parking around Georges? We were going to get in around 4 and eat at Georges, stay for maybe an hour or so and then park in the Dutton lots maybe around 530 or so? I've been twice but once was a night game and last year we just went straight to the stadium and parked and it was dark so I dont remember much!
Get to George's as early as possible. George's should have enough parking. Are you planning to walk from there to the stadium? It's possible to do that, but it is a bit of a hike, and I'd wear a flak jacket and hide your wallet! Enjoy your Big-O!

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 02:10 PM
You can park for free at Vitek's and take their shuttle to/from the stadium.
This isn't a bad option. I think there is also a shuttle service from the Ferrell Center to the stadium, but I'm not 100% positive about that. If there is and you want to find out definitively then call up the Athletic Dept.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 02:11 PM
Ninfa's. Green Sauce is FTW. The food is good and atmosphere is also good.
Their guacamole is amazing. I'm a sucker for the fajita beef nachos washed down with an ice cold Ninfarita. God I miss Jerusalem-on-the-Brazos.

Lawton4Life
11/18/2011, 02:13 PM
Get to George's as early as possible. George's should have enough parking. Are you planning to walk from there to the stadium? It's possible to do that, but it is a bit of a hike, and I'd wear a flak jacket and hide your wallet! Enjoy your Big-O!

Not gonna walk from there!!!! Plan is to just leave georges and drive over to Dutton..its pretty close from what I can tell on the map.

I'm trying to rig it so we dont have to park too far, but so there also wont be a lot of downtime since we've got a 6 year old.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 02:15 PM
Not gonna walk from there!!!! Plan is to just leave georges and drive over to Dutton..its pretty close from what I can tell on the map.

I'm trying to rig it so we dont have to park too far, but so there also wont be a lot of downtime since we've got a 6 year old.
Sorry, I scanned that post and the only thing I saw or cared about was George's and then salivating for a Big-O. Yeah, that plan should be just fine.

Soonerjeepman
11/18/2011, 02:19 PM

did ya ever come up with the name of the A-Cream you use that everyone wanted to know in the other thread?

;-)

Lawton4Life
11/18/2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks!! I'm looking forward to a Big O for sure.

Soonerus
11/18/2011, 11:01 PM
George's gets a thumbs up !!!