PDA

View Full Version : Change is in the air...

SoonerCLF
11/18/2011, 12:02 AM
ESPN article: BCS looking to change, radically (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7248953/bcs-proposes-only-handling-national-championship-game-sources-say)

An interesting read there.

Are they looking to distance themselves from the BCS bowl$ that are being ran by greedy thieves and the recent trouble with the law. Or the BCS is just tired of getting bashed. Looks like all this conference realignment to gain AQ status may not really matter, however being in a better conference will definitely lead to a more lucrative bowl.

Discuss.

MeMyself&Me
11/18/2011, 12:33 AM
Sounds to me like they're discussing the BCS only be concerned with a #1 vs #2 matchup and that for all practicle purposes the conferences will end up making bowl tie-in agreements like they used to have pre-BCS for anyone not #1 and #2. I think the result of that would be to shut out the Boise States of the world out of top tier bowl games. The big bowls would no longer have to automatically include them. Only way a Connecticut type of school would make it to a current BCS level bowl is if the Big East gets its own contract for its champion with one of those bowls.

I see three possible results of this. 1) The have-not conferences are all but shut out of the major bowls. 2) Bowls in general will likely have better overall matchups since we're more likely to see bowls with one contractual tie in against another 'invite' like what was common pre-BCS. 3) Might open the door for a 4 team playoff down the road since the bowls will be removed from the BCS part of the decision making.

yermom
11/18/2011, 02:34 AM
Adding the game really watered down the BCS IMO

The Jerry World thing is interesting

Lott's Bandana
11/18/2011, 10:02 AM
Knee-jerk reaction to the threat of 16-team super-conferences organizing an independent playoff.

Eliminating the AQ in their minds eliminates the realignment shuffle.

jumperstop
11/18/2011, 10:52 AM
Please can we play our next NCG in JerryWorld.....

Edit: unless it's this year and then I'll gladly play in the superdome, or next year in Miami.....or really until they acctually play a NCG there....

NYC Poke
11/18/2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a plan to replay the SEC CCG every year.

jumperstop
11/18/2011, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a plan to replay the SEC CCG every year.
That's kinda the impression I got from the article....

soonervegas
11/18/2011, 12:19 PM
Wow........this is awesome. Pretty much back to the old way of doing business outside of getting #1 and #2 into a National Title Game.

So how long after the happens does the Big 12 sign an agreement with the Cotton Bowl (for the annual Big 12 champion)? If it happens 5 minutes after that is too long.

A lot less OU-Uconn and a lot more OU-Arkansas, Michigan, etc.

8timechamps
11/18/2011, 12:24 PM
Sounds good in theory, but it's not enough of a change in my opinion. Unless or until we get a playoff, it's all just rearranging the turds to make them look better.

soonervegas
11/18/2011, 12:32 PM
At least the turd will be more old school.....8 time.

badger
11/18/2011, 12:55 PM
What I got out of it:

1- The BCS is trying to stay relevant in an era where it is at risk of irrelevancy.

Why: Because it will place a 1-loss team against LSU and 10 other 1-loss teams will be angry and claim a championship if said 1-loss team beats LSU.

2- The BCS is trying to not get replaced by a system that diverts money away from it.

Why: If only there weren't so many upsets in college football this year. We were so close to the BCS system crashing down by keeping a major conference undefeated champion out of the title game.

3- The bowls, which are already cash cow money pits for themselves and not colleges, want more money.

Why: TCU, Boise, Hawaii and the Big East do not put butts in seats like the Big 12, SEC and Big Ten do and they're sick of being forced to invite them to the big boy party.

4- A playoff is inevitable.

Why: Because colleges aren't moving to new conferences for BCS opportunities, to get away from Texas or for better culture fits. They're moving because they want more money and a playoff will surely generate more than money-losing bowl trips.

OUmillenium
11/18/2011, 01:05 PM
nd, boise, uconn have no business in bcs bowls

oumartin
11/18/2011, 01:07 PM
What I got outta it was Bama just claimed another NC.

8timechamps
11/18/2011, 02:55 PM
At least the turd will be more old school.....8 time.

Yeah, but it's still a turd! :)

hawaii 5-0
11/18/2011, 02:57 PM
The Big East Conference should have no consideration in the BCS.

Time for a true Playoff with the Top 12 teams.

5-0

Jason Alexander
11/18/2011, 05:14 PM
The Big East was awesome until Miami decided to keep their talents in south beach, but not the Big East.