PDA

View Full Version : The Letters of Bud Wilkinson

Legendarybud
11/17/2011, 09:49 PM
It is with pleasure that I announce that on January 12, 2012, some 47 letters of Bud Wilkinson written to his son Jay while he was in college in the 60’s, and most of which have never before been published, will be released as a book titled Dear Jay, Love Dad. Each letter is accompanied by a commentary by Jay in which he helps clarify the context in which it was written. This is indeed a very special book because while it contains some of Bud’s comments about his last years as a coach, most of the later letters, written while Jay is in graduate school at the Episcopal Theological Seminary, discuss his feelings on politics, religion, and history. The early letters are filled with compassion, encouragement, and advice to a son, who many miles away from home for the first time, is often homesick, discouraged with football practice, and wondering if he should have stayed and played for OU, but Bud’s words of love and assurance help him adjust and become a highly successful student and an All-American player.. His expressions of hope and faith are as true today as they were some 50 years ago. More than anything, it teaches all of us how we can better communicate with our sons and daughters who are sometimes far away. The book can be preordered for Christmas giving by going to Amazon. Com and typing in the name of the book, Dear Jay, Love Dad. Hit Go and the preorder page pops up which also includes a picture of the book. Click on the book, and a larger image appears with a complete synopsis and all the testimonial letters. It can also be preordered through Barnes and Noble (BN.com)

I have been directly involved with the writing of this book since I first met Jay and his wife, Rita, in 2003 when Jay spoke at a program I chaired. In his speech he talked about the letters, a few having been previously published in Jay’s first book. After finally reading all of them in 2009, I urged him to publish. Since I had taught English, Jay asked me to help as an early editor. So we began. At first, there were many discussions on the format of the book and actual writing didn’t begin until the summer of 2010. Because we live in different cities and rarely saw each other during this entire process, Jay would write during the day and send me his work that night. I would edit what he had written and return it the next day. When we finished, Jay submitted it to the University of Oklahoma Press. You can imagine our elation when we learned it was accepted. In his acknowledgments, Jay was kind enough to call me the architect of the project, but this is very much his book. As a young college student, he had the good sense to somehow hang on to these letters for fifty years and then through perseverance to turn the letters into a book If he had not, we would have missed out on learning much about an extraordinary man and a most loving father.

picasso
11/17/2011, 10:30 PM
My dad's officer in charge in the Korean war was Eddie Lebaron. He told dad that he wanted to coach when the war was over so's my pops wrote a letter to Bud stating what a quality leader Lebaron was and that he might consider hiring him at OU when the time came.
Well, my dad got a letter back from Bud, on the battle field. Bud stated that he knew full well who Eddie was and if they needed a coach he would consider it.
Pretty frickin' classy and cool.

sooneredaco
11/18/2011, 04:43 AM
Wow! That's super impressive. I'm a guy that comes from another place with a different culture. It's really cool too see this Oklahoma culture being expressed! Can't wait to read it and gift it! Boomer Sooner and God Bless

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 04:52 AM
Wow! That's super impressive. I'm a guy that comes from another place with a different culture. It's really cool too see this Oklahoma culture being expressed! Can't wait to read it and gift it! Boomer Sooner and God Bless
Are you a yankee?

Lott's Bandana
11/18/2011, 09:58 AM
Sic'Em, that ain't no Yankee hat he's sportin.

soonersweetie
11/18/2011, 10:46 AM
woohoo, thanks! My dad will LOVE this! One Christmas gift done!

rekamrettuB
11/18/2011, 11:06 AM

SunnySooner
11/18/2011, 06:00 PM

OMGIKNOWRIGHT?!?!??! People nowadays don't appreciate what kind of accomplishment The Streak really is. I think it's like 28 or 29 consecutive ROAD wins, included in there. That feat will NEVER be repeated, my friends, it's just a testament to Bud and the teams he coached that it ever happened in the first place. It may have been a long time ago, but it was football they were playing out there, without all the schmancy equipment/protection, and it just boggles the mind that a record like that could have ever been pulled off. Dang, it's good to be a SoONEr.

And, wow, cool, there goes a bunch of checks on my list. Thanks!!! I'm sad we don't write letters anymore, it's a lost art.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 06:01 PM
Wilkinson was a class act. OU should be very proud of him.

AlbqSooner
11/18/2011, 08:39 PM
When Jim Dent was writing The Undefeated he talked to several people about Wilkinson. When he talked to Darryl Royal, he asked him what he most remembered about Bud, Royal took a piece of paper and wrote 94-4-2. Helluva record for 100 games.

PLaw
11/18/2011, 09:07 PM
My dad moved to Norman in '37. He was at NHS when Bud was getting starting building the beast. Over the years, Dad was a keen observer of Mr. Wilkinson, although Bud wouldn't have known my dad from Adam. Dad always said Bud was the essence of class.

Boomer