PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Blocks Voter ID

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2011, 07:56 PM
Several states have passed voter ID bills which require all voters to submit some form of state identification in order to vote. This is common sense to the nth degree. It astounds me that anyone would oppose it. However, the Feds have said that these acts require clearance from the DOJ before being implemented (I believe to enforce the CRA). The DOJ has denied Texas preclearance on its voter ID act.

Texas should ignore the DOJ entirely and implement the voter ID rules as they see fit. And when it reaches the courts and an actual judge orders Texas to comply with the DOJ, they should refuse that order as well. What are they going to do? Are they going to send in the 101st Airborne to force TX compliance? Are they going to refuse to seat any officials elected in TX while the rules were enforced?

Honestly, I wish EVERY state would start outright refusing to comply with unconstitutional Federal laws and/or laws that conflict with their own policy.

badger
11/17/2011, 08:10 PM
It's annoying to present your DL to vote in addition to signing your life away in some book... but it's not like I don't have it with me anyways.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2011, 08:22 PM
It's annoying to present your DL to vote in addition to signing your life away in some book... but it's not like I don't have it with me anyways.
Showing your DL or other form of ID is not a difficult thing to do. Whatever inconvenience this presents is mitigated by the benefit of ensuring voters are legal residents and properly registered to vote.

Mississippi Sooner
11/18/2011, 09:20 AM
It burns me that some people are trying to make this a racial issue. It is in no way like a poll tax or requiring someone to take a civics quiz before they can vote.

I know firsthand how badly this law is needed in Mississippi. For example, in just the county where I live, we have a total population of around ten thousand. Yet, there are more than that on the voter registration books because it takes them forever to remove someone after they die. Hell, my dad's been dead for over five years, and yet he's still on the book in his old precinct. I saw it for myself. It doesn't take much imagination to see how easy it would be to commit fraud here.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/18/2011, 09:25 AM
Do these ID laws accept school-issued IDs?

diverdog
11/18/2011, 09:36 AM
Showing your DL or other form of ID is not a difficult thing to do. Whatever inconvenience this presents is mitigated by the benefit of ensuring voters are legal residents and properly registered to vote.

I agree. We are moving to the more secure federally compliant id's in Delaware.

jumperstop
11/18/2011, 11:18 AM
I believe this was being voted on last time I voted in OK. After reading the thing I was like "****...they don't have a law for that already. Why not make people show their ID's? YES!"

No reason not to. If you can't afford to spend 20 bucks on an ID to go vote, by less crack. It just amazed me that when I walked up they asked for my address to verify it's me. I had moved to like three different places in the apartments I was in and didn't know which one I had put down. I listed off all three when the lady said I guessed right on the third try. I could have gone to 10 different places and listed on adresses and names I found in the phone book and voted 10 times probably without an issue....It may stop homeless and the extremely poor/lazy from voting because they can't or won't get an ID, but it needs to be done because it's not fair to the system...

pphilfran
11/18/2011, 12:13 PM
I believe this was being voted on last time I voted in OK. After reading the thing I was like "****...they don't have a law for that already. Why not make people show their ID's? YES!"

No reason not to. If you can't afford to spend 20 bucks on an ID to go vote, by less crack. It just amazed me that when I walked up they asked for my address to verify it's me. I had moved to like three different places in the apartments I was in and didn't know which one I had put down. I listed off all three when the lady said I guessed right on the third try. I could have gone to 10 different places and listed on adresses and names I found in the phone book and voted 10 times probably without an issue....It may stop homeless and the extremely poor/lazy from voting because they can't or won't get an ID, but it needs to be done because it's not fair to the system...

You can't charge twenty bucks to vote...

yermom
11/18/2011, 12:47 PM
So why not give away the state ids?

pphilfran
11/18/2011, 12:49 PM

That's fine...

diverdog
11/18/2011, 12:51 PM
You can't charge twenty bucks to vote...

Wow that never occurred to me. That could make it unconstitutional.

soonercruiser
11/18/2011, 01:45 PM

EXACTLY why Obama's DOJ and the LW liberals don't want voter ID!
They want dead voters and illegals to vote Demoncratic!
Chicago's population is probably 25% less than documented!
(Or, they have addresses in the East River)
:hopelessness:

diegosooner
11/18/2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor

I once met a person who moved to a different district but voted in his old one. I think his ID had his old address.

Trophy Husband
11/18/2011, 04:56 PM

well someone's going to be paying for them.

Trophy Husband
11/18/2011, 04:58 PM
EXACTLY why Obama's DOJ and the LW liberals don't want voter ID!
They want dead voters and illegals to vote Demoncratic!
Chicago's population is probably 25% less than documented!
(Or, they have addresses in the East River)
:hopelessness:

Kind of hard for all those border jumpers to vote democratic if they have to provide some type of ID.
Maybe they could use a proof of purchase seal off of a bag of Tostitos. :D

yermom
11/18/2011, 05:02 PM
well someone's going to be paying for them.

Someone has to pay for them to register in the first place, do they not?

Trophy Husband
11/18/2011, 05:05 PM
Someone has to pay for them to register in the first place, do they not?

Not sure what your point is?

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2011, 05:40 PM
I once met a person who moved to a different district but voted in his old one. I think his ID had his old address.
That is a problem, but I'm less concerned with that issue than I am with illegals or people who simply aren't registered at all.

oudivesherpa
11/18/2011, 05:49 PM
I'm against voters ID's. How else are we to know that someone is really dead unless they register to vote in Chicago? BTW Osma Ben Laden just register to vote in Chicago.

MountainOkie
11/18/2011, 05:52 PM
So they can require ID to fly, but not to vote. Why is that again?

cleller
11/18/2011, 06:06 PM
Its like picking a jury in a high profile case. You can only get folks that are so uninformed on current events that they haven't heard of the particular case. Just doesn't sound sensible.

soonercoop1
11/18/2011, 06:19 PM
Several states have passed voter ID bills which require all voters to submit some form of state identification in order to vote. This is common sense to the nth degree. It astounds me that anyone would oppose it. However, the Feds have said that these acts require clearance from the DOJ before being implemented (I believe to enforce the CRA). The DOJ has denied Texas preclearance on its voter ID act.

Texas should ignore the DOJ entirely and implement the voter ID rules as they see fit. And when it reaches the courts and an actual judge orders Texas to comply with the DOJ, they should refuse that order as well. What are they going to do? Are they going to send in the 101st Airborne to force TX compliance? Are they going to refuse to seat any officials elected in TX while the rules were enforced?

Honestly, I wish EVERY state would start outright refusing to comply with unconstitutional Federal laws and/or laws that conflict with their own policy.

Thats not difficult to see since liberal/progressives will lose voters if that happens...Texass should just ignore the DOJ and enforce it themselves...the Constitution backs them up...

soonercruiser
11/18/2011, 10:53 PM
So they can require ID to fly, but not to vote. Why is that again?

Great point!
Kudos...:applouse: