PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Fryin'

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 06:16 PM
I'm going to fry my first turkey this year...any recommendations (besides don't burn down the house)?

delhalew
11/17/2011, 06:18 PM
Thaw that mofo all the way, unless you want some fiery carnage.

Breadburner
11/17/2011, 06:26 PM
Dont over fill with oil......

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 06:39 PM
Thaw that mofo all the way, unless you want some fiery carnage.

I have read that much.

As for seasoning, is it worth trying to season it, or is it good enough all fried up and stuff.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 06:48 PM
Do brines work well with fried turkey as well? I know it's the only way to go with regular stuff, but I don't know about fried stuff. I would think enough moisture is locked in with the frying process...

delhalew
11/17/2011, 07:05 PM
Do brines work well with fried turkey as well? I know it's the only way to go with regular stuff, but I don't know about fried stuff. I would think enough moisture is locked in with the frying process...

I have been told that's a big 10-4.

soonerinabilene
11/17/2011, 08:52 PM
The Good Eats episode about turkey frying will tell you all you need to know and then some.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/17/2011, 08:55 PM
I prefer fried turkey over plain turkey. I think the injector stuff makes it juicier and butterier.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/17/2011, 08:55 PM
have a plan what you're going to do with all the damned oil afterward.

deep-fried turkey does taste great

delhalew
11/17/2011, 08:58 PM
have a plan what you're going to do with all the damned oil afterward.

deep-fried turkey does taste great

That seems like really good advise. It should be pretty clean and reusable.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/17/2011, 09:11 PM
Drink it.

BE A MAN.

A Sooner in Texas
11/17/2011, 09:19 PM
http://youtu.be/EYkRF_FmD40

cleller
11/18/2011, 07:53 AM
Make sure your goofy brother in law is video-ing it, just in case.

If you have a kiddie pool and some hip waders, that might help.

Breadburner
11/18/2011, 08:59 AM
Have a plan on getting it in and out of the oil......

delhalew
11/18/2011, 09:13 AM
If tongs is your plan...you gots ballz that clank.

Turd_Ferguson
11/18/2011, 09:28 AM
Before unwrapping your turkey, put it in the vessel you plan to fry it in. Fill the vessel up with water about two inches above the turkey. Remove the turkey and use a permanent marker to mark the water level. Pour out the water. When you pour in your oil, you now have a fill mark to pour it to. YWIA

Mississippi Sooner
11/18/2011, 09:34 AM
Before unwrapping your turkey, put it in the vessel you plan to fry it in. Fill the vessel up with water about two inches above the turkey. Remove the turkey and use a permanent marker to mark the water level. Pour out the water. When you pour in your oil, you now have a fill mark to pour it to. YWIA

That may be the best advice when frying a turkey. About ten years ago we spent Thanksgiving in our RVs on the Miss State Campus in Starkville for the Egg Bowl. Our plan was to deep fry two turkeys. Well, we didn't know about the water measuring trick, so when we put the first one in, a bunch of the oil started bubbling out onto the ground. Yes, that oil is hot enough to start a fire. It was a rather breezy day, so our turkey frying was temporarily interrupted by a fire fighting mission, lest we burn down half the MSU campus.

Oh, and yeah, a lot of alcohol was consumed that weekend.

8timechamps
11/18/2011, 12:36 PM

Damn, that's genius! I probably would have just over-filled it and started a fire. Thanks!

NormanPride
11/18/2011, 01:39 PM
Takin' all the fun out of it...

GDC
11/18/2011, 02:06 PM
genius

SoonerLaw09
11/18/2011, 02:53 PM
Light seasoning (salt and pepper and/or Tony Checheres') and the marinade injector are your best friends. And I would humbly suggest peanut oil, it be da shizz. My former brother-in-law had the turkey frying thing down to an art. Make sure teh bird is at room temp before you start, and watch your timing to the second. And enjoy with some cranberry sauce and sauteed shrooms and oyster dressing.