PDA

View Full Version : Gay, are you born that way or is it a choice??

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 02:22 PM
Discuss!

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 02:33 PM
Given your username, you are brave to explore your curiosities so publicly.

:twinkies:

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 02:41 PM
Who cares? Why does it matter? If it's by choice, does that make it more condemnable? If folks are biologically predisposed, does that excuse what some religiously believe is a crime against nature (kind of like the mixing of the races used to be)?

I've never found it particularly relevant to me what someone else's sexual proclivities are aside from my wife, but we don't need to delve deeper into that subject.

badger
11/15/2011, 03:10 PM
I don't know, nor will I ever know because I am not gay.

People who identify themselves as gay (or ex-gay) give waaaay too many accounts for there to ever be one solid, true, accepted answer... and perhaps that's because there isn't one solid, true, accepted answer.

EDIT: And I like the "who cares?" answer best anyway :)

Ton Loc
11/15/2011, 03:19 PM
Who cares is the early leader in the club house.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 03:30 PM
I did not ask what your opinion of Gays is, I asked if you think it's a birth defect or a choice. If you don't know, simply say "I don't know".

I guess by your standard, what the Penn State coach did to those young boys, doesn't matter since it's not relevant to you.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 03:32 PM

Massive fail, get a new writer.

BillyBall
11/15/2011, 03:33 PM
I asked if you think it's a birth defect or a choice.

A birth defect... Wow.

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 03:39 PM
I guess by your standard, what the Penn State coach did to those young boys, doesn't matter since it's not relevant to you.

You can't comprehend that there's a difference between what two (or more) consenting adults want to do in the bedroom versus a bedroom type act between an adult and someone who cannot give consent and would not give consent?

Do you think rape and sex between consenting adults is the same thing? Are your critical thinking skills that weak?

badger
11/15/2011, 03:43 PM
I did not ask what your opinion of Gays is, I asked if you think it's a birth defect or a choice. If you don't know, simply say "I don't know".

Now, now, this is kind of putting a lot of assumptions out there. Rather than make an *** out of u and me, let's not assume anything, especially:

1- That gays are pedophiles or that pedophiles are gay.

2- That being gay at birth is a birth defect.

3- That not caring about whether a person is gay by choice or by birth means they don't care about the Penn State accusations.

Those are a lot of pretty strong and unfavorable assumptions to assume, don't you think?

Mississippi Sooner
11/15/2011, 04:02 PM
I'm glad this particular troll at least limits his trolling to this forum.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:06 PM
Gay penguins.....
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2011/11/gay-penguins-to-be-separated-at-toronto-zoo/

I think this helps show that a being CAN be born gay, but I think a lot of times people are influenced by things in their life as well. Either way I don't care as long as they know I'm not gay...

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 04:16 PM
Birth defect? Well, in a sense I suppose so, because every single human since Adam has had one. It's called being a sinner.

Doesn't matter which one(s) are your particular pets. For some it's substance abuse, or an "addictive personality". For some it's sex (besides that between husband and wife). For some it's anger. Gossip. Driving too fast. We all have our individual bugaboos. Homosexuality is just one of those sins which some people have a tendency toward. And there's only one answer for it, just like any other.

SoonerInTN
11/15/2011, 04:20 PM

I guess by your standard, what the Penn State coach did to those young boys, doesn't matter since it's not relevant to you.Who says it is a defect?

I truly believe there is a genetic and/or biochemical component. I, also, believe that some people are curious or make the choice. In the end, it really doesn't matter to me.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:25 PM
I did not ask what your opinion of Gays is, I asked if you think it's a birth defect or a choice. If you don't know, simply say "I don't know". I guess by your standard, what the Penn State coach did to those young boys, doesn't matter since it's not relevant to you.
Nobody really knows....this is all opinion. If you want the answers to life SF is probably not hte place for them...

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:28 PM
You can't comprehend that there's a difference between what two (or more) consenting adults want to do in the bedroom versus a bedroom type act between an adult and someone who cannot give consent and would not give consent?

Do you think rape and sex between consenting adults is the same thing? Are your critical thinking skills that weak?

It amazes me how dense you are. Did I ever say,

rape and sex between consenting adults is the same thing?

If you possessed one ounce of the critical thinking skills you demand from others, you would know exactly, in what context I made the following comment.

The answer lies within your initial response on this subject. I'm not going to tell you what it is counselor, any lawyer worth his weight in buffalo $hit, should be able to figure it out.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:29 PM
Who says it is a defect

I don't know, I never said it was, I just asked if it was or not.

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 04:32 PM
Pedophilia =/= homosexuality. With homosexual sex, there is no victim. There's consent. With pedophilia, there's a victim because there's no consent. Hence, the two are incomparable.

I'll try to not use big words here:

--gay people want to get it on, they do so and no one's hurt.

--pedophile does bad things to a child, someone's hurt.

If someone's hurt I care. If not, no relevancy. I'll be sure and write it in crayon for you next time.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:33 PM
so midtwn, you would now admit that just because you don't find a certain type of behavior or predisposition particularly relevant to you, doesn't mean it's acceptable?

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 04:35 PM
so midtwn, you would now admit that just because you don't find a certain type of behavior or predisposition particularly relevant to you, doesn't mean it's acceptable?

Acceptable to whom?

Trophy Husband
Pedophilia =/= homosexuality. With homosexual sex, there is no victim. There's consent. With pedophilia, there's a victim because there's no consent. Hence, the two are incomparable.

If someone's hurt I care. If not, no relevancy. I'll be sure and write it in crayon for you next time.

so you're telling me you own crayons?

jumperstop

Are you just looking for someone to argue with? I don't even understand what your trying to compare. Are you trying to justify being gay while comparing it pedophilia? I'm think I'm done with this thread...

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:37 PM
Acceptable to whom?

That has no baring on what your answer should be, none!!

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:37 PM
Are you just looking for someone to argue with? I don't even understand what your trying to compare. Are you trying to justify being gay while comparing it pedophilia? I'm think I'm done with this thread...

Read the entire thread, read mid's initial response, there in lies your answer.

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 04:39 PM
Pedophilia =/= homosexuality. With homosexual sex, there is no victim.

Hogwash. The victim is society. Are you in favor of legalizing all so-called "victimless" crimes? Drug use, prostitution, unfettered gambling, etc.? If not then your position is inconsistent. If so, then you need to argue for that. Don't just pick out one "personal behavior". How are you on polygamy? Bestiality?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 04:40 PM

I'm going to quote this the next time Johnny Mack starts crying

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:40 PM
I was simply making the point (and I did) just because a certain behavior may or may not be relevant to a certain person, does not make that behavior right or wrong. You guys are trying way to hard, it's common sense.

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 04:42 PM
Oh, and IBTL. :)

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:42 PM
Hogwash. The victim is society. Are you in favor of legalizing all so-called "victimless" crimes? Drug use, prostitution, unfettered gambling, etc.? If not then your position is inconsistent. If so, then you need to argue for that. Don't just pick out one "personal behavior". How are you on polygamy? Bestiality?

that makes way too much sense. Get ready to be called a none critical thinker.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:43 PM

If people want to do all that then fine by be....as long as it doesn't effect anyone but themselves....Maybe not the animal thing because that's unfair to the animal....

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 04:45 PM

Yes I am in favor of legalizing all of those things, but they should be regulated of course as to minimize harm to others. I don't need or want to get too off track here, but there's also a societal cost for forcing all of that activity underground. Clearly the laws proscribing those activities aren't working too well. I'm a strong believer in the concept of my right to swing my fist ends at your nose.

And gambling is pretty much unfettered if you can stand to be in a smoky room and drive for thirty minutes (if you're in Oklahoma).

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:49 PM
Yes I am in favor of legalizing all of those things, but they should be regulated of course as to minimize harm to others. I don't need or want to get too off track here, but there's also a societal cost for forcing all of that activity underground. Clearly the laws proscribing those activities aren't working too well. I'm a strong believer in the concept of my right to swing my fist ends at your nose.

And gambling is pretty much unfettered if you can stand to be in a smoky room and drive for thirty minutes (if you're in Oklahoma).

Should have known, as long as the fed guv can step in and regulate it, you're all for it.

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 04:49 PM
Yes I am in favor of legalizing all of those things, but they should be regulated of course. I'm a strong believer in the concept of my right to swing my fist ends at your nose.

Well this is true of course. Sad, but true. What happens in Vegas don't stay in Vegas no more.

I'm interested to know how you would regulate the aforemetioned activities.

badger
11/15/2011, 04:50 PM
Oh, and IBTL. :)

Oh yes, this is soooo locked. Just not by me, but I can hand out some of these cool trading cards they issued me by granting me vBookie vModador status. Anyone want a colorful card?

BE NICE :mad:

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:51 PM
The facts are that most of those things do harm and effect others in a negative way. Some guy get's hooked on drugs, it ends up wrecking is marriage, he gets divorced and now you have his wife and kids as victims of this "victim less" crime.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 04:56 PM
Well this is true of course. Sad, but true. What happens in Vegas don't stay in Vegas no more.

I'm interested to know how you would regulate the aforemetioned activities.

He has no idea, he just thinks it makes him sound more enlightened.
The question should be would you want your wife or daughter doing these things? Would you want your daughter getting high, and spreading her legs for a living? I would assume your answer is "no, but if someone else is doing it and it's not relevant to me, why should I care"
I think we can all pretty much agree that drug use and prostitution do cause harm to others. There for by your own admission, you would care.

NormanPride
11/15/2011, 04:59 PM
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 05:04 PM
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

It started as a simple question and has morphed into what it is. You need to point the finger at everyone who's replied. Why are people so frightened of this topic?

Midtowner
11/15/2011, 05:06 PM
That has no baring on what your answer should be, none!!

Well, you're asking me to objectively attach meaning to a totally subjective standard. In other words, there is no answer to your question because your question is not sufficiently definite.

If I'm out in public and there are a couple of gentlemen making out in public, do I find that acceptable? Depends totally on the location. If I'm at Goldie's, a very kid-friendly burger joint, PDA of any kind is just bad manners. If I'm at the Boom, the behavior is totally acceptable. Believing in equality under the law and maximum freedom does not equate to everyone acting like social retards.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:11 PM
The facts are that most of those things do harm and effect others in a negative way. Some guy get's hooked on drugs, it ends up wrecking is marriage, he gets divorced and now you have his wife and kids as victims of this "victim less" crime.
There are plenty of marriages that don't need drugs to wreck them....So perfectly normal and good people can "victimize" their own family....

And most of the time people who hard drugs are stupid anyways. If someone wants to drink or smoke a little weed I don't see how that could negatively affect their family, except when these irrational laws come in and ruin their life for them.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:17 PM
Well, you're asking me to objectively attach meaning to a totally subjective standard. In other words, there is no answer to your question because your question is not sufficiently definite.

If I'm out in public and there are a couple of gentlemen making out in public, do I find that acceptable? Depends totally on the location. If I'm at Goldie's, a very kid-friendly burger joint, PDA of any kind is just bad manners. If I'm at the Boom, the behavior is totally acceptable. Believing in equality under the law and maximum freedom does not equate to everyone acting like social retards.
I would tell two non gay people to cut out the pda...I hate that ****...

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 05:22 PM
I would tell two non gay people to cut out the pda...I hate that ****...

I'm with you on that one. It's usually kids, too (as in, act like you've been there before, dude). If you really have the urge to make out, at least get in your car. Don't do it in the middle of freaking Walmart.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 05:30 PM

it is not an answer that needs to be qualified, within the context of your initial response and my subsequent follow up question. I'm asking you what time it is and you're trying to build me a watch.

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 05:35 PM
There are plenty of marriages that don't need drugs to wreck them....So perfectly normal and good people can "victimize" their own family....

agreed and you can't legislate bad behavior, but you damn sure can some of the things that help to contribute to it.

dwarthog
11/15/2011, 05:43 PM

Ever heard of this organization before?

http://nambla.org/

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 06:00 PM

Massive fail, get a new writer.

So says the OP that started a thread about gheys on a football message board mostly populated by men and chose a username that reflects how attractive he thinks he is.

Thicken your skin...how could anyone possibly answer your question without attempting humor. I certainly couldn't.

Ton Loc
11/15/2011, 06:27 PM
I'm a strong believer in the concept of my right to swing my fist ends at your nose.

Must....contain.........obvious joke about other obvious things swinging...and ending...in your face.

Damn - no self control, but I assume that's what was on the OP's mind.

This thread is such bait.

SoonerInTN
11/15/2011, 08:18 PM
Hogwash. The victim is society. Are you in favor of legalizing all so-called "victimless" crimes? Drug use, prostitution, unfettered gambling, etc.? If not then your position is inconsistent. If so, then you need to argue for that. Don't just pick out one "personal behavior". How are you on polygamy? Bestiality?How is society a victim of homosexuality?

Turd_Ferguson
11/15/2011, 08:48 PM
How is society a victim of homosexuality?What about the people that are always having to cover their corn hole?

SoonerInTN
11/15/2011, 09:43 PM
What about the people that are always having to cover their corn hole?Longhorns?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/15/2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, it's not a birth defect any more than being left-handed is a birth defect. It is a predisposition (as opposed to gay behavior. E.g., Bubba in prison for 10 years may display gay behavior). Behavior are often learned but a predisposition is something one is born with.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/15/2011, 11:20 PM
For the first time ever, I watched an episode of Sex and the City this evening. A character, speaking to a woman, said, "if you don't dive, you're not a lesbian." I don't think this is quite right. There are lesbians who have never engaged in any type of sexual activity, just like there are straight people who have never experienced sexual activity.

soonercruiser
11/15/2011, 11:29 PM
A birth defect... Wow.

If being "gay" is a defect from birth, does that make gay folks physically or mentally "handicapped"?

If it is a choice, is there a cvhance iot is a perverted, or bad choice?
:uncomfortableness:

soonercruiser
11/15/2011, 11:37 PM
So says the OP that started a thread about gheys on a football message board mostly populated by men and chose a username that reflects how attractive he thinks he is.

Thicken your skin...how could anyone possibly answer your question without attempting humor. I certainly couldn't.

Sorry Lott!
This is NOT A FOOTBALL forum
Click the "back " arrow at the top left corner of the page and you eventually will see the title "NON-SPORTS FORUMS"!
:hopelessness:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/16/2011, 12:39 AM
The gayest thing here is this thread.

Did it choose to be gay or is it a thread defect?

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 06:08 AM
Sorry Lott!
This is NOT A FOOTBALL forum
Click the "back " arrow at the top left corner of the page and you eventually will see the title "NON-SPORTS FORUMS"!
:hopelessness:

I hit "back" one too many times.

Ended up at a ghey pron site.

:black_eyed::black_eyed::black_eyed:

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 09:37 AM
For the first time ever, I watched an episode of Sex and the City this evening. A character, speaking to a woman, said, "if you don't dive, you're not a lesbian." I don't think this is quite right. There are lesbians who have never engaged in any type of sexual activity, just like there are straight people who have never experienced sexual activity.

and that my friend is why it's a choice. Regardless of what ever predisposition you may have, whether or not you act on it, is 100% a choice.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 09:39 AM

Sorry chumly , but this is part of the board is for political discussion not football. Me thinks the little fella is lost.

Ton Loc
11/16/2011, 12:44 PM
and that my friend is why it's a choice. Regardless of what ever predisposition you may have, whether or not you act on it, is 100% a choice.

So you can be gay, but you're not really gay until you perform an act that is considered gay. Dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. So what was I until I lost my virginity?

BTW, you were always ignorant, but it wasn't true until you posted?

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 12:51 PM
So you can be gay, but you're not really gay until you perform an act that is considered gay. Dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. So what was I until I lost my virginity?

BTW, you were always ignorant, but we didn't know until you posted?

I said it's a choice to act on the impulse. That is a fact that you can not dispute.

The only one who has said "you can be gay but you're not really gay until you perform an act" is you. I never said anything close to that.
I guess by your logic, you're a thief if you have the urge to steal, even if you've never acted on that urge. See how ignorant YOUR logic is.

As far as what you were until you lost you virginity? That question flies in the face of your argument. According to your logic, if you have the desire to have sex, even though you have not yet acted on that desire,then you must not be a virgin. The same way if you have the desire to be gay, even though you haven't acted on that desire you are still gay.

Why the hell are you arguing against you own logic?

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry chumly , but this is part of the board is for political discussion not football. Me thinks the little fella is lost.

Given the title of your thread, Hubby, clearly I'm not the one that is lost.

Ton Loc
11/16/2011, 12:59 PM
I said it's a choice to act on the impulse. That is a fact that you can not dispute.

The only one who has said "you can be gay but you're not really gay until you perform an act" is you. I never said anything close to that.
I guess by your logic, you're a thief if you have the urge to steal, even if you've never acted on that urge. See how ignorant YOUR logic is.

So what did you agree to?

The premise of the character of the show:

"if you don't dive, you're not a lesbian."

or

I don't think this is quite right. There are lesbians who have never engaged in any type of sexual activity, just like there are straight people who have never experienced sexual activity.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 01:01 PM
Could I please have the last 3.7 minutes of my life back? What a stupid thread, posted by an obviously stupid person. I mean who but a ****ing idiot would call themself a "trophy husband?" Sheez, why lord, why?

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 01:18 PM
How is society a victim of homosexuality?

Destruction of the family and rampant disease come to mind. The family is a primary unit of society, and if it's negatively impacted society suffers as a whole. And any activity which spreads nasty and deadly diseases is by definition bad. And before you start throwing the whole "heterosexuals spread STDs too" argument, please realize that I am against *any* kind of sexual relations outside of one-man-one-woman marriage. If we all followed that rule, there would be no STDs. Think about it.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2011, 01:18 PM
I'm a trophy husband

OULenexaman
11/16/2011, 01:22 PM
I'm a husband with a trophy...

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 01:26 PM
The dump I took this morning was worth a trophy.

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 01:27 PM
I'm a trophy husband

and distinguished pimp.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/16/2011, 01:27 PM
I'm a trophy husband

I know. Thank you for that special day.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2011, 01:34 PM
Ahhh...you are giving me a boner :shame:

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 01:39 PM
boy did this go downhill in a hurry...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2011, 01:41 PM
I'm hoping dean will be my next "victim"

Midtowner
11/16/2011, 02:11 PM
Destruction of the family and rampant disease come to mind. The family is a primary unit of society, and if it's negatively impacted society suffers as a whole. And any activity which spreads nasty and deadly diseases is by definition bad. And before you start throwing the whole "heterosexuals spread STDs too" argument, please realize that I am against *any* kind of sexual relations outside of one-man-one-woman marriage. If we all followed that rule, there would be no STDs. Think about it.

Would you be in favor of government regulation forbidding extra-marital and homosexual sex? If not, then why say that extra-marital homosexual sex is worse than extra-marital heterosexual sex?

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 02:16 PM
Could I please have the last 3.7 minutes of my life back? What a stupid thread, posted by an obviously stupid person. I mean who but a ****ing idiot would call themself a "trophy husband?" Sheez, why lord, why?
did that 3.7 minutes include your ignorant reply, or did it just take you 3.7 minutes to read the thread before you decided to waste additional time posting a response that addresses none of the issues in this thread. :D

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 02:17 PM
So what did you agree to?

The premise of the character of the show:

or

didn't agree to anything, just stated what is an indisputable FACT. Why do facts **** you liberals off?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2011, 02:19 PM
did that 3.7 minutes include your ignorant reply, or did it just take you 3.7 minutes to read the thread before you decided to waste additional time posting a response that addresses none of the issues in this thread. :D

He prefers the term "experimenter"

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 02:20 PM
Would you be in favor of government regulation forbidding extra-marital and homosexual sex? If not, then why say that extra-marital homosexual sex is worse than extra-marital heterosexual sex?

he didn't say it was worse he said:

And before you start throwing the whole "heterosexuals spread STDs too" argument, please realize that I am against *any* kind of sexual relations outside of one-man-one-woman marriage.

Stop misquoting people.

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 02:34 PM
He prefers the term "experimenter"

Curious?

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it's not a birth defect any more than being left-handed is a birth defect. It is a predisposition (as opposed to gay behavior. E.g., Bubba in prison for 10 years may display gay behavior). Behavior are often learned but a predisposition is something one is born with.

and they choose whether or not to act on that predisposition, yes?

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 03:53 PM
Why do some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing? Is it a birth defect?

Midtowner
11/16/2011, 03:54 PM
he didn't say it was worse he said:

Geesh.. Are you Mack Brown? Let the fella answer for himself.

Midtowner
11/16/2011, 03:54 PM
Why do some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing? Is it a birth defect?

Clearly, they make a choice to act on an impulse.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 03:58 PM
Geesh.. Are you Mack Brown? Let the fella answer for himself.

every time he answers, you misquote him.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:00 PM
Clearly, they make a choice to act on an impulse.

I'm glad you guys are in total 100% agreement with me. It's very apparently..........oh never mind.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, nevermind would be a really good choice right about now.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:13 PM

I'm not being anymore of an azz on this thread than many of the other posters.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:13 PM

As TH said, you misquoted me. I did not say it was worse, I said it was the same.

You may not be aware that, up until a few years ago, most states had laws on their books forbidding adultery, fornication, *and* homosexuality. It wasn't until 2003 (see Lawrence v. Texas) that the Supreme Court decided that such laws were unconstitutional (which they are not). Up until that point, they were all held to be legitimate (Bowers v. Hardwick, 1986). As far as I can tell, nothing changed between 1986 and 2003 that would require such a radical reversal of legal precedent. Except, of course, the composition of the Supreme Court. Which is why, at its core, the "case precedent" system of deciding law, quite frankly, sucks.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:17 PM
It wasn't until 2003 (see Lawrence v. Texas) that the Supreme Court decided that such laws were unconstitutional

I guess midtwn was right, the courts can solve anything, as long as they're populated with liberal activists.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:18 PM
As TH said, you misquoted me. I did not say it was worse, I said it was the same.

thank you.

NormanPride
11/16/2011, 04:21 PM
Dean, can we get pg to swayzebomb this thread?

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 04:23 PM
Roadhouse!

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:24 PM

Come on, man! [/ESPiN]

We're having a fairly civil debate here. Don't get bent out of shape without reason.

Trophy Husband
why, if we can keep it civil this is obviously a topic some are interested in discussing, 5 pages and going strong.

C&CDean
I'm not being anymore of an azz on this thread than many of the other posters.

Yeah, but you've got a gay-assed user name.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:25 PM
Roadhouse!

I think that's in the top 25 of Rotten Tomatoes movies. :P It might have edged out Red Dawn...

Ton Loc
11/16/2011, 04:26 PM

You may not be aware that, up until a few years ago, most states had laws on their books forbidding adultery, fornication, *and* homosexuality. It wasn't until 2003 (see Lawrence v. Texas) that the Supreme Court decided that such laws were unconstitutional (which they are not). Up until that point, they were all held to be legitimate (Bowers v. Hardwick, 1986). As far as I can tell, nothing changed between 1986 and 2003 that would require such a radical reversal of legal precedent. Except, of course, the composition of the Supreme Court. Which is why, at its core, the "case precedent" system of deciding law, quite frankly, sucks.

Hell, make up a law and I bet I can find it still in the books of some county, city, or state. Something like the law in Tennessee that a preacher nor Atheist can hold public office ( I think that's the case). Aren't they called blue/gray laws or something. Some color to dictate that we acknowledge they exist but we agree they are dumb and a little embarrassed we haven't gotten rid of them.

Sort of like the laws you mention.

Edit:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/Aquatic1/Funny%20pics/family_guy_roadhouse.gif

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:26 PM
Come on, man! [/ESPiN]

We're having a fairly civil debate here. Don't get bent out of shape without reason.

If people do not want to discuss this, this thread will die of natural causes soon enough. If people do want to discuss the subject matter, there's no need to put it on lock down. It's getting heated but nothing over the top yet.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:27 PM
Now that I've mentioned Red Dawn, I sense a threadjack on its way...

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:29 PM
If people do not want to discuss this, this thread will die of natural causes soon enough. If people do want to discuss the subject matter, there's no need to put it on lock down. It's getting heated but nothing over the top yet.

I would not even say heated. I've been rather impressed with the level of intelligent discourse (with a few exceptions). It's a question of worldviews, when you get right down to it. The same with liberal or conservative (generalizing a bit, yes). Do you believe that the State is more important than the individual, or vice versa? And what do you base your belief on? The age old question...

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 04:31 PM
Now that I've mentioned Red Dawn, I sense a threadjack on its way...

I thought there were a billion screaming Chinamen?

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, but you've got a gay-assed user name.

Now we've come full-circle back to my original post.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:32 PM
Sort of like the laws you mention.

That's your opinion of those laws. Your opinion is no more sound, valid or legitimate than those who oppose it.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 04:32 PM
Do y'all remember when these gay threads would be all over the SO? Good times...

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:33 PM

He was born predisposed to use that name, therefor it's all good.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:33 PM
I thought there were a billion screaming Chinamen?

There were.

http://www.bilderberg.org/mush.gif

Midtowner
11/16/2011, 04:35 PM

You may not be aware that, up until a few years ago, most states had laws on their books forbidding adultery, fornication, *and* homosexuality. It wasn't until 2003 (see Lawrence v. Texas) that the Supreme Court decided that such laws were unconstitutional (which they are not).

Your parenthetical should read "which they were not," because clearly, Lawrence v. Texas changed everything, and if we're going to have a 14th Amendment fundamental due process right to privacy as defined in case law, I'd say such acts sure as hell are unconstitutional.

Up until that point, they were all held to be legitimate (Bowers v. Hardwick, 1986). As far as I can tell, nothing changed between 1986 and 2003 that would require such a radical reversal of legal precedent. Except, of course, the composition of the Supreme Court. Which is why, at its core, the "case precedent" system of deciding law, quite frankly, sucks.

Precedent is pretty good unless you disagree with the precedent. Bet you'd have been all about it in 1986. Clearly though, the Court needs the power to overrule itself. Look no farther than the Dred Scott case for support of that proposition. The Constitution, whether you believe it or not, does change along with society.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:35 PM
That's your opinion of those laws. Your opinion is no more sound, valid or legitimate than those who oppose it.

Well actually it is not. There are opinions that are not valid. Let's keep the logic sound here.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:36 PM
Do y'all remember when these gay threads would be all over the SO? Good times...

This is not a thread about gays, this a thread about, whether some people, are or are not, genetically predisposed to exhibit a certain type of behavior and as a result of this genetic predisposition, can not control their behavior, or whether they choose to exhibit certain types of behavior.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:38 PM
Your parenthetical should read "which they were not," because clearly, Lawrence v. Texas changed everything, and if we're going to have a 14th Amendment fundamental due process right to privacy as defined in case law, I'd say such acts sure as hell are unconstitutional.

Precedent is pretty good unless you disagree with the precedent. Bet you'd have been all about it in 1986. Clearly though, the Court needs the power to overrule itself. Look no farther than the Dred Scott case for support of that proposition. The Constitution, whether you believe it or not, does change along with society.

No, just the interpretation of it changes, which it should not. The interpretation should be that which the original writers intended. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes, the Supremes can overrule themselves, and have done so many times. But the analysis of whether such action is a dumbass move can be sorted out independent of the opinions of the 9 members of that esteemed group.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:39 PM
Well actually it is not. There are opinions that are not valid. Let's keep the logic sound here.

My logic is infallible. The fact you hold an opinion, does not make it , by virtue of the fact that it's YOUR opinion, valid. Whether or not it is valid, has nothing to do with the person who believes it, rather in it's substance, logic and factual certainty.
That is the point I was making.

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:39 PM

This is not a gay thread. It is very serious. :D

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:42 PM
My logic is infallible. The fact you hold an opinion does not make it , by virtue of the fact that it's YOUR opinion, valid. It's validity has nothing to do with the person who believes it, rather in it's substance, logic and factually certainty.
That is the point I was making.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. No person's logic is infallible at all times (well there is one Person whose is). But you are right in that opinions are just like ***holes, we've all got 'em, and most of them are full of ****. An objective standard is imperative.

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 04:44 PM
This is not a gay thread. Ignore the word GAY in the title.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 04:46 PM
This is one seriously gay thread.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 04:46 PM
Oh don't kid yourselves you two fruity little fruitpies. This thread is uber gay. Gayer than a gay thing. Gaydus Maximus.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:48 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. No person's logic is infallible at all times (well there is one Person whose is). But you are right in that opinions are just like ***holes, we've all got 'em, and most of them are full of ****. An objective standard is imperative.

In this instance my logic is infallible, in many other instances, maybe not so much.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:53 PM

come on dude, you're named after a guys head dress, doesn't get much more homo than that.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 04:55 PM
Man, that trophy beeyotch is one post-deleting fool. Did you know it's gay to delete your posts all the time?

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 04:56 PM
And did you know that I can still read them after they've been deleted? How gay is that ****?

SoonerLaw09
11/16/2011, 04:56 PM
Oh don't kid yourselves you two fruity little fruitpies. This thread is uber gay. Gayer than a gay thing. Gaydus Maximus.

And I'm whiter than an old white thing. S'what my wife says whenever she sees me dance.

Just sayin'.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:57 PM
And did you know that I can still read them after they've been deleted? How gay is that ****?

and do you know that I don't care? :D

as far as how gay is it that you can still read them? I don't know, sounds like a question you should have the answer to, you're the one who can still read them. Is the ability to read deleted posts gay?
We may have another thread here.

NormanPride
11/16/2011, 04:57 PM
Who is Gay, and why would he (or she) not be born that way? I can't imagine you can choose to be another person... If that were the case I bet Gay would choose to be step. Because, I mean honestly, wouldn't we all?

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 04:58 PM
Who is Gay, and why would he (or she) not be born that way? I can't imagine you can choose to be another person... If that were the case I bet Gay would choose to be step. Because, I mean honestly, wouldn't we all?

then why would they "choose" to act on the impulse to homo out?

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 05:01 PM
groan. Some folks just be thick and ****.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 05:02 PM
groan. Some folks just be thick and ****.

me thinks if you took my last post seriously, you may be one of those folks.

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 05:05 PM
come on dude, you're named after a guys head dress, doesn't get much more homo than that.

You got me there.

What was I thinking on a message board named SoonerFans (again, a site primarily celebrating a University's sports program, not a site where we discuss our inclinations to aim our heat seeking missiles or some such rot), coming up with a username that every visitor to this site immediately associates with the Castro District?

Thomas should have worn a rainbow doo-rag.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 05:07 PM
You got me there.

What was I thinking on a message board named SoonerFans (again, a site primarily celebrating a University's sports program, not a site where we discuss our inclinations to aim our heat seeking missiles or some such rot), coming up with a username that every visitor to this site immediately associates with the Castro District?

Thomas should have worn a rainbow doo-rag.

and it's still a homo name.

Trophy Husband
11/16/2011, 05:08 PM
not a site where we discuss our inclinations to aim our heat seeking missiles or some such rot)

then I suggest you petition the admins on this site to remove the political thread and keep this a sports only board. Weak sauce argument bra.

C&CDean
11/16/2011, 05:11 PM
Weaksauce thread I'm thinking. Bra.