PDA

View Full Version : The media is so fickle!

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 08:41 PM
Coming off a bye week, you'd think we had fallen out of the top 25, not moved up to 5th in the BCS standings.

For example: I know this is an Austin publication, but this paragraph knocked me over:

Can Collin Klein win the Heisman? Can Robert Griffin III? Brandon Weeden maybe should. And could Justin Blackmon be the next Calvin Johnson? The Big 12 has some special quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, none of them play for Texas, where David Ash is a freshman with only four starts and Case McCoy is a sophomore who might as well be a freshman for all his inactivity. What's a little alarming about Texas' situation is the lack of wow moments from Ash. He's just not very accurate. Of course, I didn't think Bryan Harsin helped him that much against Missouri, with so few passes in the middle of the field and safer out patterns and curls.

Not a mention of Landry.

Okay, so maybe it's just because it's an Austin paper, right? Wrong...

This (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/53038/alabama-oregon-stating-case-for-title-shot) ESPN article talks about teams still remaining in the hunt (one loss teams), and has one paragraph on Oklahoma:

The Sooners, who moved up one spot from No. 6 to No. 5 in the BCS standings, didn't play on Saturday. The Sooners play at No. 25 Baylor on Saturday and host Iowa State on Nov. 26 before meeting the Pokes in the Bedlam game. Oklahoma's only defeat this season was a 41-38 loss to Texas Tech at home on Oct. 22

BUT, here's the intro to that article (that says very little about OU):

Does Alabama or Oregon have the best argument for playing a rematch against LSU in the Allstate BCS National Championship Game?

I'm hoping we become much more of the conversation after this week (and, hopefully a win). I'm sure we will for Bedlam week (assuming both OU and OSU win out).

LRoss
11/14/2011, 09:03 PM
In fairness at least for the last one, OU doesn't really have any argument for a rematch against LSU.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 11:34 PM
In fairness at least for the last one, OU doesn't really have any argument for a rematch against LSU.

That's true, maybe I was just reading in anger...

LRoss
11/14/2011, 11:48 PM
It is also true that the media IS fickle, no question.

Blue
11/15/2011, 12:12 AM
All the articles I read today in USA Today and the Birmingham News were quoting Jerry Palm and saying we were golden if we win out. Actual headline..."Winner of Bedlam will face LSU"

THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS! Relax we're good.

fwsooner22
11/15/2011, 08:41 AM
We LOST to a team that may not be bowl eligible at HOME. We will need to destroy AG and have a few other things happen to get there. It is an unexplainable loss.

delhalew
11/15/2011, 08:57 AM
We LOST to a team that may not be bowl eligible at HOME. We will need to destroy AG and have a few other things happen to get there. It is an unexplainable loss.

That's not the way it works. Win out, and we are set up for a hell of task. LSU in Nawlins. Ick.

OrlandoSooner
11/15/2011, 11:05 AM
That's not the way it works. Win out, and we are set up for a hell of task. LSU in Nawlins. Ick.\

Again...

badger
11/15/2011, 12:23 PM

We had a huge lightning delay.

We had quite a few starters out.

We only lost by 3 points.

Everyone and anyone knows that it was a fluke and would not happen again.

All kudos and credit to Tech for catching us at our worst moment. No other team will get as lucky.

The Maestro
11/15/2011, 12:30 PM
The media being fickle will help us if we win at OSU. That same day, Alabama will be at home eating Dreamland ribs and Oregon will be pounding a crappy UCLA or ASU team. If we can be sexy for a few hours to get their votes to move us up in human polls, nothing else matters after that vote.

Not sure who deserves the credit for Bedlam being moved to December 3rd, but it could be our saving grace of getting into the title game.

texas bandman
11/15/2011, 12:50 PM
We just need to focus on one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may.

rekamrettuB
11/15/2011, 12:57 PM
We just need to focus on one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may.

That's right...STAY FOCUSED!!!

Penguin
11/15/2011, 02:51 PM
I heard that Landry Jones was actually struck by lightning at the TT game. The footballs he threw around all game were electrified. That explains the dropped passes, guys.

BigTip
11/15/2011, 03:00 PM
All the articles I read today in USA Today and the Birmingham News were quoting Jerry Palm and saying we were golden if we win out. Actual headline..."Winner of Bedlam will face LSU"

THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS! Relax we're good.

Yes, you know that ABC will be hyping the game as the semi-final to the national title game. I can almost hear the promo now.

The pokies better not screw it up and lose before. That will screw the pooch for us.

missann
11/16/2011, 02:12 PM
Yes, you know that ABC will be hyping the game as the semi-final to the national title game. I can almost hear the promo now.

The pokies better not screw it up and lose before. That will screw the pooch for us.

Pokies look good. We better not screw it up (again) and lose before (again).

BigTip
11/16/2011, 04:01 PM
Pokies look good. We better not screw it up (again) and lose before (again).

Most excellent point.

PLaw
11/17/2011, 02:59 PM

Hey, I remember '75 worked out pretty well after an unexplainable loss to KU. Maybe, we're due. Folks, just need to relax - there's a lot of ball left to be played and we have to keep winning (let's not forget that)

BOOMER