PDA

View Full Version : OSU from here on out

soonerz
11/14/2011, 04:41 PM
I have been wondering how OSU will be in the coming years. Do you think they are going to be a legitimate contender in 5 years or is the last two years just a temporary swing? I tend to think they will be good in the future, but not a powerhouse.

Thoughts?

lexred
11/14/2011, 04:52 PM
I have been wondering how OSU will be in the coming years. Do you think they are going to be a legitimate contender in 5 years or is the last two years just a temporary swing? I tend to think they will be good in the future, but not a powerhouse.

Thoughts?

This year everything seems to have broken their way. They have scored a ton of points and taken advantage of a lot of mistakes. For the Aggies, the matchup with OU is everything. If they win they will play for all the marbles and their fans will be even more obnoxious than usual. If they play LSU or Bama it will be ugly, and old man Weeden will need several extra sets of Depends. As for the future, I cannot see them getting to the consistantly good level of OU and Texas, but I don't see them as a Big 12 doormat either. Mike Gundy has done a good job and I don't see him regarding the OSU HC as a stepping stone.

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 04:53 PM
IMO good they will be. At least on offense. Until they make some serious changes on defense they will not be a powerhouse. I do believe however that Gumby, despite his goofiness, is a decent coach, but I just don't see them becoming a powerhouse. I'd compare them to South Carolina I guess. Decent program, but it ends there.

CowboyMRW
11/14/2011, 04:56 PM
We're recruiting pretty well lately. As long as Coach Wickline is here, our OL will continue to be one of the nations best units. Our S&C coach is also extremely good at what he does.

I don't think that we will compete for NC's every year but I think that we should be top 3 in the Big 12 year in and out with every 4 years or so, have a shot at playing in the NC if all the pieces fall into place.

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, they'll go down a bit when Texas comes back, and TCU being in the Big 12 might hurt them a bit, as well as WVU. They got a TON of breaks this year and have a legitimately good team, but that's what it takes anymore. Since the 85 scholly limit I'm surprised there haven't been more teams like OSU and Stanford making a run.

oumartin
11/14/2011, 04:59 PM
OSU stumbled into this situation. Do you recall when weden was third string... They just put in him in the game cuz their second string guy was sucking terribly and BAM.

olevetonahill
11/14/2011, 05:06 PM
We're recruiting pretty well lately. As long as Coach Wickline is here, our OL will continue to be one of the nations best units. Our S&C coach is also extremely good at what he does.

I don't think that we will compete for NC's every year but I think that we should be top 3 in the Big 12 year in and out with every 4 years or so, have a shot at playing in the NC if all the pieces fall into place.

You have got to be ****ting me cowpoke

This is Yalls BEST season EVER , and Now yer gonna be playing in the MNC every 3 er 4 years ?

Dont Bogart that Joint my friend pass it over to me .

badger
11/14/2011, 05:11 PM
You know how little brothers tend to try to grow up a little bit more when big brothers leave the house for college or wherever, but when the big brother gets home, little brother goes back to not being in charge of his siblings anymore?

OSU better milk this recent stretch of winning seasons for all its worth because the down years suck more for little brother programs than they do for big brother programs.

picasso
11/14/2011, 05:33 PM
This is their year.

We'll be right back here again next season. I highly doubt they will.

101sooner
11/14/2011, 05:36 PM
They're up a notch. They need a twelve team conference to keep them from having to play KSU every year. Bill Snyder will beat them most every year from here on out as long as they have to play each other.

The conference's biggest concern is that Bob doesn't pull an Osborne and put all the pieces together post 10 years of solid coaching and win 3 MNC's over the next 5 years.

I figure as the league stands, they are a perennial 4-5 team behind OU, Texas and KSU as long as Snyder is in Manhattan. That's a step up for them.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 05:36 PM

How many seniors do you guys have on the oline? Expect a MAJOR dropoff next year....like 6-6 year....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2011, 05:50 PM

It is more that you have been evaluating talent well on offense.

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 05:59 PM
Is it that, or the fact that the Texas talent has been more towards hidden gems over big names recently? That's not the way it's been in the past.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 06:00 PM
Virginia Tech just called.

BeaSooner
11/14/2011, 06:08 PM
This year everything seems to have broken their way. They have scored a ton of points and taken advantage of a lot of mistakes. For the Aggies, the matchup with OU is everything. If they win they will play for all the marbles and their fans will be even more obnoxious than usual. If they play LSU or Bama it will be ugly, and old man Weeden will need several extra sets of Depends. As for the future, I cannot see them getting to the consistantly good level of OU and Texas, but I don't see them as a Big 12 doormat either. Mike Gundy has done a good job and I don't see him regarding the OSU HC as a stepping stone.

Kinda like broke-back mountain?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2011, 07:07 PM
Is it that, or the fact that the Texas talent has been more towards hidden gems over big names recently? That's not the way it's been in the past.

It amounts to the same thing.

Kendall Hunter -> #40 Running Back (out of Tyler John Tyler which I'm not sure we've had more than 1 or 2 out of that school)
Dez Bryant -> #9 WR (not a reach, but for him to end up as the #1 receiver out of that class is evaluation - that class is a long list of fail -> http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1517 - the only one I recognize is Gibson (Rams) and Toon (not sure))

Then the next year grab

Justin Blackmon (Ardmore, though 04 didn't comment) - #91 WR - that class was stacked (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1823) but he is still arguably the best one there.
Markelle Martin (#15 Safety) -> Once again, arguably the best on teh list (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1833)

The biggest question mark for the pokies is can they recruit a high school freshman QB or are they going to continue to rely on 25 year olds to come back and play?

Breadburner
11/14/2011, 07:15 PM
They will be back right where they were when Holgerson's recruits are gone.....

CowboyMRW
11/14/2011, 07:20 PM
You have got to be ****ting me cowpoke

This is Yalls BEST season EVER , and Now yer gonna be playing in the MNC every 3 er 4 years ?

Dont Bogart that Joint my friend pass it over to me .

I never said playing in. I meant to be in contention, like top 10. That is with the right breaks that go our way.

How many seniors do you guys have on the oline? Expect a MAJOR dropoff next year....like 6-6 year....

If we go 6-6 next year I will literally **** a brick out of my ***. There will be a dropoff, no doubt, but I think we should be able to put together a solid 8 win season. Coach Wickline is one of the best, if not the best, OL coach in the nation. OL is one area that I will not worry about as long as he's in Stillwater.

It amounts to the same thing.

Kendall Hunter -> #40 Running Back (out of Tyler John Tyler which I'm not sure we've had more than 1 or 2 out of that school)
Dez Bryant -> #9 WR (not a reach, but for him to end up as the #1 receiver out of that class is evaluation - that class is a long list of fail -> http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1517 - the only one I recognize is Gibson (Rams) and Toon (not sure))

Then the next year grab

Justin Blackmon (Ardmore, though 04 didn't comment) - #91 WR - that class was stacked (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1823) but he is still arguably the best one there.
Markelle Martin (#15 Safety) -> Once again, arguably the best on teh list (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1833)

The biggest question mark for the pokies is can they recruit a high school freshman QB or are they going to continue to rely on 25 year olds to come back and play?

JW Walsh and Wes Lunt are the future for OSU at QB. Whichever wins the starting job, I fully expect to be a stud. Many thought that JW was the best qb in Texas last year as a senior. Offensively we have no reason to worry for the future. Defensively though, there is cause for concern. However our LBs are only juniors as are 2 CB's so they should be salty next year.

papawlambert
11/14/2011, 07:35 PM
JW Walsh will be a great QB. OSU will do well. I am a big OU fan and have been since Chas. Burnham "Bud" Wilkinson, Billy Vessels, Clendon Thomas,Jerry Tubbs, and yes, Darrell Royal. Ain't nobody cried as much as I when Notre Dame ended it. I have no hate for OSU though. I just root for the Sooners when we play the Cowboys. I hope they do very well.

Papaw

EatLeadCommie
11/14/2011, 07:41 PM
as long as Texas is down, the quality of the conference continues to wane. Not saying I don't like Texas being down, but let's face it...the conference has two quality teams this year, neither of whom would stack up well against previous conference champions. If we hadn't shat the bed against Taco Tech, this would essentially be a one game season. Granted, I don't think any of the other conferences are much different. Even the SEC is awful this year aside from LSU and Bammer. Arky is vastly overrated.

papawlambert
11/14/2011, 08:05 PM
I hope Texas goes to the Mountain West. Maybe they could compete.
Papaw

cleller
11/14/2011, 08:25 PM
In the future OSU will be a bunch of second tier, jealous, also-rans that look pathetic. Like right now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2011, 08:47 PM
I never said playing in. I meant to be in contention, like top 10. That is with the right breaks that go our way.

If we go 6-6 next year I will literally **** a brick out of my ***. There will be a dropoff, no doubt, but I think we should be able to put together a solid 8 win season. Coach Wickline is one of the best, if not the best, OL coach in the nation. OL is one area that I will not worry about as long as he's in Stillwater.

JW Walsh and Wes Lunt are the future for OSU at QB. Whichever wins the starting job, I fully expect to be a stud. Many thought that JW was the best qb in Texas last year as a senior. Offensively we have no reason to worry for the future. Defensively though, there is cause for concern. However our LBs are only juniors as are 2 CB's so they should be salty next year.

Dude, you have no clue what you have until it hits the field. If you'd like a list of guys who have been "can't miss QB studs" start with Garrett Gilbert and head on back through your Woods Bro on the way back to Rhett Bomar. Basically 1 QB in the top 10 will be a stud, with 1-2 more being serviceable. Then there will be 4-5 studs that no one thinks highly of (like Sam Bradford etc).

As for OSU, what on earth over the last decade makes you think that your coaching staff can pull a freshman superstar out of their hat? Heck, I'm not even sure that Heupel knows how to do it and he has a lot better track record at the position than most (Bradford (with help from Chuck Long) and Landry Jones).

sooneron
11/14/2011, 08:56 PM
IF they beat us, I will silently be pulling for them. Of course, I don't have to live around them, so that's a blessing and it would probably be different. I pull for them most of the time b/c they're so silly with their all things OU hatred. It's cute to me. Sad, but cute...

Biggnick15
11/14/2011, 09:02 PM
i'll probably pull for them too against the mad hatter... then if they win I will regret that decision for at least a year until we slap them around in '12

CowboyMRW
11/14/2011, 09:04 PM
Dude, you have no clue what you have until it hits the field. If you'd like a list of guys who have been "can't miss QB studs" start with Garrett Gilbert and head on back through your Woods Bro on the way back to Rhett Bomar. Basically 1 QB in the top 10 will be a stud, with 1-2 more being serviceable. Then there will be 4-5 studs that no one thinks highly of (like Sam Bradford etc).

As for OSU, what on earth over the last decade makes you think that your coaching staff can pull a freshman superstar out of their hat? Heck, I'm not even sure that Heupel knows how to do it and he has a lot better track record at the position than most (Bradford (with help from Chuck Long) and Landry Jones).

I should've clarified a little better. I don't expect him to instantly step into his situation and become a superstar. I do expect that by the end of his sophomore year that he will really come into his own.

This belief is because of Monken. Having an ex-NFL QB coach has me giddy at the thought of what he should be able to do with Lunt/Walsh.

sooneron
11/14/2011, 09:06 PM
He was with the Jags for a year. The JAGS

CowboyMRW
11/14/2011, 09:13 PM
He was with the Jags for a year. The JAGS

That may be, but he still knows exactly what he's doing. He was their WR coach for 4 years so he definitely knows how to break down defenses and how to relate that to the QBs.

You don't make it to the NFL as a coach not knowing what you're doing

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2011, 09:17 PM
That may be, but he still knows exactly what he's doing. He was their WR coach for 4 years so he definitely knows how to break down defenses and how to relate that to the QBs.

Heh. I think you missed something in your analysis. He's been interacting with men that are on average 25-28 years old (Weeden included). It takes a whole new skillset to relate to 18-20 year olds. We've had a few of those roll through here over the years...

Soonerfan88
11/14/2011, 09:42 PM

Brad Childress agrees!

sooneron
11/14/2011, 10:01 PM
Rich Kotite is giggling.

King Barry's Back
11/14/2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, they'll go down a bit when Texas comes back, and TCU being in the Big 12 might hurt them a bit, as well as WVU. They got a TON of breaks this year and have a legitimately good team, but that's what it takes anymore. Since the 85 scholly limit I'm surprised there haven't been more teams like OSU and Stanford making a run.

The Pokes just won a game by 60 points. I didn't look up the rest of their scores, but that doesn't seem too unusual for them. If that's "breaks," they sure are getting a lot of them.

toast
11/14/2011, 10:08 PM
The Pokes just won a game by 60 points. I didn't look up the rest of their scores, but that doesn't seem too unusual for them. If that's "breaks," they sure are getting a lot of them.

aTm and ksu say "hello"

King Barry's Back
11/14/2011, 10:10 PM
IF they beat us, I will silently be pulling for them. Of course, I don't have to live around them, so that's a blessing and it would probably be different. I pull for them most of the time b/c they're so silly with their all things OU hatred. It's cute to me. Sad, but cute...

If Gundy and crew make it to the championship game, get ready for the signs: "Hey OU, we're in the BCS National Championship, and you're not!," "Where's OU?", etc.

LRoss
11/14/2011, 10:36 PM

I actually feel like saying "they're legitimatly good and get a ton of breaks and that's what it takes" is an under-appreciated truth in modern college football. Being good isn't enough to get through an 11-12 game season in the top 2. There are enough teams that are good enough that, with some breaks, will beat teams that they're inferior to. So being good can win you some games, and being decent and lucky will win you some games, but to play for a championship you really have to be both good AND lucky. I don't mean that as a shot against anybody or an excuse for anybody else, I just think it's reality. A lot of things have to go right. You can control some of them, but stuff happens. You'd better be the benificiary when it does.

oSuJeff1997
11/14/2011, 11:23 PM
All I'll say is this.

I certainly remember lots of Sooner fans who were talking about what a "fall back to mediocrity" that OSU was going to have last year because we had lost Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Pettigrew, etc.

How'd that work out?

Here's where you guys' analysis tends to fail: you're comparing this OSU program to the program at other times in our history when we would have a really good or standout year. Times when we would have to rely on 1 or 2 out-of-the-blue superstars to carry the team, and there was little-to-no depth of talent behind those guys to sustain any kind of longer-term success.

Here's how it's different: the overall talent in the program is now to a point where when you do get a bit of good luck and get a "special" player like Weeden on board, you're challenging for a national championship, instead of maybe challenging for 8-9 wins. It's also to a point where the stars are getting replaced by other, in some cases, better stars:

Zac Robinson -> Brandon Weeden
Dez Bryant -> Justin Blackmon
Kendall Hunter -> Joseph Randle

There are guys playing in back-up roles on this team that would have easily been starters and in some cases THE star player for OSU teams 5-10 years ago... guys like Michael Harrison, Jeremy Smith, and Josh Stewart.

I actually feel like saying "they're legitimatly good and get a ton of breaks and that's what it takes" is an under-appreciated truth in modern college football. Being good isn't enough to get through an 11-12 game season in the top 2. There are enough teams that are good enough that, with some breaks, will beat teams that they're inferior to. So being good can win you some games, and being decent and lucky will win you some games, but to play for a championship you really have to be both good AND lucky. I don't mean that as a shot against anybody or an excuse for anybody else, I just think it's reality. A lot of things have to go right. You can control some of them, but stuff happens. You'd better be the benificiary when it does.

This is exactly right. OSU has gotten some breaks this year, but I'd say we've earned them. I don't care which teams are "up" or "down", sweeping conference road wins in College Station, Columbia, Austin and Lubbock is no easy chore.

picasso
11/15/2011, 12:43 AM
All I'll say is this.

I certainly remember lots of Sooner fans who were talking about what a "fall back to mediocrity" that OSU was going to have last year because we had lost Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Pettigrew, etc.

How'd that work out?

Here's where you guys' analysis tends to fail: you're comparing this OSU program to the program at other times in our history when we would have a really good or standout year. Times when we would have to rely on 1 or 2 out-of-the-blue superstars to carry the team, and there was little-to-no depth of talent behind those guys to sustain any kind of longer-term success.

Here's how it's different: the overall talent in the program is now to a point where when you do get a bit of good luck and get a "special" player like Weeden on board, you're challenging for a national championship, instead of maybe challenging for 8-9 wins. It's also to a point where the stars are getting replaced by other, in some cases, better stars:

Zac Robinson -> Brandon Weeden
Dez Bryant -> Justin Blackmon
Kendall Hunter -> Joseph Randle

There are guys playing in back-up roles on this team that would have easily been starters and in some cases THE star player for OSU teams 5-10 years ago... guys like Michael Harrison, Jeremy Smith, and Josh Stewart.

This is exactly right. OSU has gotten some breaks this year, but I'd say we've earned them. I don't care which teams are "up" or "down", sweeping conference road wins in College Station, Columbia, Austin and Lubbock is no easy chore.
Fair enough but those teams previously were nothing more than good without being great. One would think that since you've never been in the position you're currently sitting that you dense Pokes would realize how incredibly difficult it is to attain. We've tinkered with being undefeated many times in the past decade with some pretty good football teams.
Enjoy your season now. Odds are it's not going to happen again.

Eielson
11/15/2011, 12:58 AM
I think OSU is going to be one of the better teams in the conference by default. They used to be at the bottom of the "competing for third" group, and they still would be, but that group has fallen apart. That competing group alongside OSU has quickly gone from Nebraska, Missouri, A&M, and Tech (Leach era) to just TCU and WVU. K-State will compete as long as Snyder is in charge, but his days are numbered. Even Kansas took themselves out of the picture with the Mangino situation. Hopefully Briles will continue to improve Baylor or the Big XII could easily turn into one of the worst BCS conferences.

Eielson
11/15/2011, 01:15 AM
OSU is having an "all-time great season" not because they are so up, but because the conference is so down. Does OSU even have an impressive win yet? They staged a huge comeback to beat A&M by 1, struggled with K-State and played a game that came down to the last play, and weren't even able to put the Texas game away until the end despite them having another huge down year. Those are the only good teams they've played, and none of them are great. OU blew all three of them out. If we were healthy I wouldn't even be worried about our game with them, and their team wouldn't go undefeated in the SEC, Pac-12, Big 10, or even the ACC. I don't think I'd even pick them to go undefeated in the MWC.

Partial Qualifier
11/15/2011, 01:41 AM

How'd that work out?

Hold on, what!? oklahoma state WAS mediocre when you had Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Pettigrew, etc. Please. You got thumped by OU in Stillwater last year with essentially these same groups, that's how it worked out.

OU can and probably will win in Stillwater, even with the injuries. This is your chance at lightning in a bottle but once again OU will have the OSU defense gasping for air and faking injuries late in the game.

And our defense will by amped the **** up for that one

Gundy will forever remembered as thus: "Good coach; couldn't beat Stoops".

meoveryouxinfinity
11/15/2011, 01:41 AM
OSU is having an "all-time great season" not because they are so up, but because the conference is so down. Does OSU even have an impressive win yet? They staged a huge comeback to beat A&M by 1, struggled with K-State and played a game that came down to the last play, and weren't even able to put the Texas game away until the end despite them having another huge down year. Those are the only good teams they've played, and none of them are great. OU blew all three of them out. If we were healthy I wouldn't even be worried about our game with them, and their team wouldn't go undefeated in the SEC, Pac-12, Big 10, or even the ACC. I don't think I'd even pick them to go undefeated in the MWC.

We struggled with KSU for a half, granted, I believe some of that was due to the road game factor.
A&M let the wheels fall off weeks ago. But yes, we dismantled them.
We played our most complete game against Texas. I think this was when we were most healthy: Travis coming close to 100%, Kenny and Ryan were 100%. Hopefully Kenny is fully recovered from whatever has been ailing him. If not we are super scrood. Jaz being our best receiver is NOT a positive thing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 01:46 AM
OSU is having an "all-time great season" not because they are so up, but because the conference is so down.

This is truth. I can't remember the conference being this devoid of hardnosed football players.

sooneredaco
11/15/2011, 03:27 AM
OSU is having an "all-time great season" not because they are so up, but because the conference is so down.

Not arguing with the rest of your post, but as far as the Big 12-2-2+2 being down, I thought it was ranked as the most powerful conference in the country this year.... Just sayin....

wishbonesooner
11/15/2011, 03:44 AM
When Weedon leaves, they're done. And I will NEVER root for OSU. They danced with delight when we lost to LSU and Fla. in title games. Every OSU fan I saw was beaming from ear to ear. This I only root against OSU when they play us is BS. They hate us and would never root for us, why show them any more respect than they show us?

Sooner_Tuf
11/15/2011, 03:54 AM
All I'll say is this.

How'd that work out?

Worked out fine to me. OU still beat oSu like a drum, like always. Was it good for you?

miesvander
11/15/2011, 07:47 AM
This is truth. I can't remember the conference being this devoid of hardnosed football players.

I believe the reason college football in general is missing those hardnosed football players is because when those hardnosed football players make a hardnosed tackle they get penalized 15 yards for being a football player. I hate the helmet to helmet rule; I hate the defenseless player rule; I even hate the "touch a quarterback and you'll be sorry" rules. It's going to be hard for me to be a grandfather some day telling my grandkids, "I remember back in the day when you would tackle the guy instead of grabbing his flag."

NormanPride
11/15/2011, 07:48 AM
Not arguing with the rest of your post, but as far as the Big 12-2-2+2 being down, I thought it was ranked as the most powerful conference in the country this year.... Just sayin....

Do any of us really believe that after watching Texas, Kansas, Mizzou, ISU and Tech play? You can add A&M to that list as well...

Soonerfan88
11/15/2011, 10:01 AM
Do any of us really believe that after watching Texas, Kansas, Mizzou, ISU and Tech play? You can add A&M to that list as well...

Have you actually watched Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina and Florida play? And the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi aren't capable of creating one good highlight video between them.

oSuJeff1997
11/15/2011, 10:07 AM
Fair enough but those teams previously were nothing more than good without being great. One would think that since you've never been in the position you're currently sitting that you dense Pokes would realize how incredibly difficult it is to attain. We've tinkered with being undefeated many times in the past decade with some pretty good football teams.
Enjoy your season now. Odds are it's not going to happen again.

The "odds" are against ANYONE going undefeated.

But as I said, if you build a depth of talent in your program, then you have a chance make it happen when get a special player in the program (like Weeden) and catch a few breaks.

The conference is "so down" that it's been either the #1 or #2 ranked conference all year in the computer power polls. Facts... how do they work?

Hold on, what!? oklahoma state WAS mediocre when you had Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Pettigrew, etc. Please. You got thumped by OU in Stillwater last year with essentially these same groups, that's how it worked out.

Give me a break.

Those Robinson/Pettigrew/Bryant teams won 9 games each and were ranked in the top 10. They weren't as good as this year's team, but "mediocre"? Can the hyperbole.

And losing by 6 points is "getting thumped"? OK.

The POINT is not whether or not that team beat OU. The POINT is that practically all of you guys were predicting 5-6 wins last year and a "return to mediocrity."

Instead, OSU won 11 games.

When Weedon leaves, they're done.

LOL.

I'm sure you said the exact same thing about Robinson/Dez Bryant/Pettigrew, etc.

Landthief 1972
11/15/2011, 10:20 AM
OSU has benefited this year from very few injuries, and none from their marquee players, which is similar to our 2000 run to the title.

Would OSU be 10-0 with their starting RB, #2 WR, center, #1 CB and MLB out with injuries over a 3 week period, and then lose Blackmon for the rest of the year? Doubtful. Depth has always been an issue for OSU, and if they get hit with a few major injuries, it's going to show.

Landthief 1972
11/15/2011, 10:25 AM
The "odds" are against ANYONE going undefeated.

Those Robinson/Pettigrew/Bryant teams won 9 games each and were ranked in the top 10. They weren't as good as this year's team, but "mediocre"? Can the hyperbole.

And losing by 6 points is "getting thumped"? OK.

That 2009 Robinson/Pettigrew/Bryant team got shut out 27-0 by one of Stoops' worst teams, and went from being ranked 11th going into that game to being unranked 2 games later. Bravo. (slow clap)

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 12:17 PM
Have you actually watched Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina and Florida play? And the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi aren't capable of creating one good highlight video between them.

Mississippi State looks like the Rams.

CowboyMRW
11/15/2011, 12:32 PM
That 2009 Robinson/Pettigrew/Bryant team got shut out 27-0 by one of Stoops' worst teams, and went from being ranked 11th going into that game to being unranked 2 games later. Bravo. (slow clap)

The 2009 team featured none of the players you just mentioned in that game. Even Kendall was out with his foot injury. Robinson couldn't throw the ball past 5 yards. The dude from Tech really destroyed him.

kevpks
11/15/2011, 12:44 PM
The 2009 team featured none of the players you just mentioned in that game. Even Kendall was out with his foot injury. Robinson couldn't throw the ball past 5 yards. The dude from Tech really destroyed him.

Very true. Still, it was pretty pathetic to play the whole game on your side of the 50 with a BCS bid on the line. I guess OSU "learned some things" that day because the program does seem to have turned the corner. However, win some conference titles and I'll respect the program. Right now, I respect the year they're having.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/15/2011, 12:47 PM

Consider that arky is the 3rd best team in the sec and it was all they could do to beat a middle of the pack B12 team (aTm). And we don't even need to talk about the b1g or pac.

delhalew
11/15/2011, 12:53 PM
T Boone's money will help. They should recruiting better and remain competive.

HOWEVER, they are about to learn how difficult it is to stay at the top. This is the best chance they will have for several years. If poke fans don't expect a drop off, it's only because they haven't been here before.

goingoneight
11/15/2011, 01:03 PM
Tuberville ruined Mike Leach's pirate ship in Lubbock, Mack is what Mack is without Vince Young or Colt McCoy, Nebraska's gone and Kansas thought they were too good for a coach who took their ridiculous program to the BCS. Those things spell SOMEBODY gets better when everyone else gets worse or leaves. Ask Bill Snyder.
That said, it's not all just the perfect storm. They're built now for this kind of success. Only thing that should concern Poke fan is how spoiled they've become by signature playmakers. Next year, they'll be back to one of those years where a key injury could cripple their team. FSU got awful spoiled by Minnis, Boldin and Weinke, and they never fully recovered.
Stoops and Brown's teams have historically owned the conference because they've consistently been the most-balanced teams (AKA not a one-trick pony like all offense and no defense).

StoopTroup
11/15/2011, 01:28 PM
oSu has always had the ability to have good Teams. It's amazing it's took this long to get noticed. It's amazing what happens when you win football games you usually choke.

They should feel good about themselves and when I say "They"....I mean the Football Team. They are the reason they are winning. Gundy was HC Last year so we know it's not what he's doing.

It's just a decent Team of Players who have finally been able to put together a win streak. Streaks like 13-0 are awesome....We know that. This is oSu's closest chance to put together a streak like this. The Players should be proud.

The aggie Fans? This is uncharted territory for them. It's hilarious to watch them crow, especially when you know what's probably gonna happen December 3rd.

I wish the oSu Players luck. This is a huge Game for them. It must feel pretty weird for them to actually be so close but yet....so far.

StoopTroup
11/15/2011, 01:38 PM
Right now, I respect the year they're having.

That's really all any of this is about. Aggie Fans coming to this board to crow is like hearing some nerd talk about what he'd do to the Head Cheerleader if only she knew Boone Pickens was his Uncle.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 02:00 PM
The conference is "so down" that it's been either the #1 or #2 ranked conference all year in the computer power polls. Facts... how do they work?

Computers, how do they work? Oh yeah, its totalled by Wins/Losses not quality of the teams we played.

If you look at our opponents...

1. We didn't lose to anyone who is horrible (most of our losses are to teams with winning records).
2. The teams we scheduled miraculously are either mediocre or good. The worst record of an opponent is Arizona/Idaho at 2-8. Most are either 4-6 or 5-5.
3. The conferences best win is TCU (8-2) by Baylor, followed by several 7-3 Teams (Tulsa, FSU, BYU).

If you look through the SEC's non-con opponents you see Oregon and Penn State and then teams like Elon/WKU etc

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 02:02 PM
Consider that arky is the 3rd best team in the sec and it was all they could do to beat a middle of the pack B12 team (aTm). And we don't even need to talk about the b1g or pac.

Yeah, but Arkansas has traditionally been a late starter. They are not the team in September that they are in November.

Oh and aTm has always been a little on the fragile side.

picasso
11/15/2011, 02:21 PM
When Weedon leaves, they're done. And I will NEVER root for OSU. They danced with delight when we lost to LSU and Fla. in title games. Every OSU fan I saw was beaming from ear to ear. This I only root against OSU when they play us is BS. They hate us and would never root for us, why show them any more respect than they show us?
Not to mention the **** I had to endure with oSu "knocking us out of the BCS title game" in '01 and '02. That might come back to haunt them.

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 03:02 PM
They will be back right where they were when Holgerson's recruits are gone.....

Uh, really? Which of Holgy's recruits gathered during his lengthy one-year stay are having the biggest impact on our season now?

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 03:03 PM
Not to mention the **** I had to endure with oSu "knocking us out of the BCS title game" in '01 and '02. That might come back to haunt them.

Karma is a Kim Kardashian.

oSuJeff1997
11/15/2011, 03:28 PM
Computers, how do they work? Oh yeah, its totalled by Wins/Losses not quality of the teams we played.

If you look at our opponents...

1. We didn't lose to anyone who is horrible (most of our losses are to teams with winning records).
2. The teams we scheduled miraculously are either mediocre or good. The worst record of an opponent is Arizona/Idaho at 2-8. Most are either 4-6 or 5-5.
3. The conferences best win is TCU (8-2) by Baylor, followed by several 7-3 Teams (Tulsa, FSU, BYU).

If you look through the SEC's non-con opponents you see Oregon and Penn State and then teams like Elon/WKU etc

I'm not exactly sure what your point is here.

I never said the Big 12 was better than the SEC. I just said that the Big 12 has consistently been rated the #1 or #2 conference all year by the computers.

Which is true.

That's obviously not the end-all, be-all of conference strength, but it's one piece of evidence that shows that the Big 12 isn't "medicore", as was put forth by a poster ealier in a clear and obvious attempt to downplay OSU's suucess this year.

They will be back right where they were when Holgerson's recruits are gone....

Well this is certainly full retard, given that Holgerson was the OC at the University of Houston when the players from the 2010 class were being recruited, and he was already named the HC at WVU 2 months before the 2011 class signed.

Could I please see a listing of who, exactly, are these "Holgerson recruits"? I'll take my answer off the air. Thanks.

miesvander
11/15/2011, 03:49 PM
The list of Holgerson's recruits is going to be about as long as the list of Trooper Taylor's recruits.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 04:13 PM
That's obviously not the end-all, be-all of conference strength, but it's one piece of evidence that shows that the Big 12 isn't "medicore", as was put forth by a poster ealier in a clear and obvious attempt to downplay OSU's suucess this year.

This isn't an attempt to belittle your success. What I'm saying is that the conference is down because all of the talent is skewed towards the offensive side of the ball (whereas the top 2 teams in the SEC are all defense). There is 1 decent defense in the entire league -> Texas. Okstate has never had an issue fielding a good offense, but where they have consistently struggled is on defense. Thus they struggled to get into the upper echelons of the league because 2-3 of those great defenses would stifle them (whereas they would blister 1-2 of them). That is the abberation this year, not that OSU is doing bad, but that the rest of the conference decided to try to beat them at their game (IE all offense, no defense) and it isn't working.

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 04:29 PM
Meh. This type of circular argument can go on all day. A major infusion of cash + major facilities upgrade + stable coaching situation is going to lead to better recruiting and better on-field results almost every time.

I'm with those who believe that it takes a little luck to play in a MNC in any given year. However, we're now in a position where we should be competing for conference championships, which is what we're doing this year and what we've done the last few years. I don't see the conditions that made this possible changing any time soon, so I suspect to see it continue, at least in the near future.

UT is the conference team in turmoil now. TT hasn't been able to pull things together under TT, KU and ISU show no signs of changing, Bill Snyder is presumably, mortal, and I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude towards TCU and WVU. Who does that leave?

toast
11/15/2011, 04:36 PM
For the past several years, osu seasons have been based upon their offense overcoming the deficiencies of their defense. The difference this year is the offense has showed up every game (except first 1/2 of aTm game) and they have been very opportunistic on defense. Next year, who knows?

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:38 PM
Meh. This type of circular argument can go on all day. A major infusion of cash + major facilities upgrade + stable coaching situation is going to lead to better recruiting and better on-field results almost every time.

I'm with those who believe that it takes a little luck to play in a MNC in any given year. However, we're now in a position where we should be competing for conference championships, which is what we're doing this year and what we've done the last few years. I don't see the conditions that made this possible changing any time soon, so I suspect to see it continue, at least in the near future.

UT is the conference team in turmoil now. TT hasn't been able to pull things together under TT, KU and ISU show no signs of changing, Bill Snyder is presumably, mortal, and I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude towards TCU and WVU. Who does that leave?
All true, but I think what a lot of people here are trying to get across is that osu for the most part will always play third fiddle to OU and saxet in this conference....

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 04:41 PM
Does anyone here think OSU's opportunistic defense is an accident? If so, I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this, because I sure didn't hear these arguments around here when OU's D was at or near the top in turnovers and turnover margin. In fact, I heard just the opposite.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 04:44 PM
And this is a horrible place for opinions on OSU and likewise on the OSU board for opinions on OU..Heck there is maybe 1 regular poster, maybe 2 year that I would really put much weight into their opinions concerning the pokes...

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:46 PM
Does anyone here think OSU's opportunistic defense is an accident? If so, I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this, because I sure didn't hear these arguments around here when OU's D was at or near the top in turnovers and turnover margin. In fact, I heard just the opposite.
Similar to offense and defense in 08 like I've said to you before. Except we weren't 110th in the nation in total defense, we were 50-60 I believe. Even with that people said our defense would be our downfall if we were to play an SEC. Although it wasn't completely, it certainly had an effect in the BCSCG. And osu's is A LOT worse this year than ours was that year.

toast
11/15/2011, 04:46 PM

Are you saying they planned to have the 101st ranked total defense?

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 04:50 PM
Are you saying they planned to have the 101st ranked total defense?

Rankings don't get you too far, the scoreboard does. If our D is ranking 101st and shuts out TT's offense, I can live with it.

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 04:51 PM
Similar to offense and defense in 08 like I've said to you before. Except we weren't 110th in the nation in total defense, we were 50-60 I believe. Even with that people said our defense would be our downfall if we were to play an SEC. Although it wasn't completely, it certainly had an effect in the BCSCG. And osu's is A LOT worse this year than ours was that year.

[Insert Tebow joke here]

The Maestro
11/15/2011, 04:51 PM
Bill Young is to OSU's defense what Larry Coker was to OU's offense.

OSU is great this year. So far. The biggest date ever with Big Brother awaits...we shall see if OSU finally has the stones to knock us off when beating us is NOT their national championship.

Partial Qualifier
11/15/2011, 04:52 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2010/12/oklahoma1.jpg

Travellingsooner
11/15/2011, 04:54 PM
Next year OSU loses 5 starters on offense (6 if Blackmon leaves), including Weeden, Cooper and Adcock; on defense, they lose only 3, but those 3 are Jones, Blatnick and Martin. That's 9 senior starters - virtually all of their playmakers on both sides of the ball. No, they won't be any close to as competitive as this year - 8 wins at best.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 04:56 PM

OSU forcing turnovers at a very impressive rate this season is no accident, I just don't think it is worth sacrificing 300 passing yards, 200 rushing yards and 26 points per game in the long run. And just like last season, Oklahoma St. isn't winning because of their defense, it's because of their offense. Oklahoma St. was pretty dang good at forcing turnovers last season as well.

toast
11/15/2011, 04:57 PM
Rankings don't get you too far, the scoreboard does. If our D is ranking 101st and shuts out TT's offense, I can live with it.

I'm pretty sure that's what you guys were thinking with ksu sitting 1st and goal at the 5 at the end of the game...

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what you guys were thinking with ksu sitting 1st and goal at the 5 at the end of the game...

And the Texas A&M game and the Texas game. It seems Oklahoma St. either struggles with the athletic teams or the well coached teams. Man, I sure hope Oklahoma is athletic and has a good enough head coach!

NormanPride
11/15/2011, 05:02 PM
And this is a horrible place for opinions on OSU and likewise on the OSU board for opinions on OU..Heck there is maybe 1 regular poster, maybe 2 year that I would really put much weight into their opinions concerning the pokes...

martin?

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:03 PM
OSU forcing turnovers at a very impressive rate this season is no accident, I just don't think it is worth sacrificing 300 passing yards, 200 rushing yards and 26 points per game in the long run. And just like last season, Oklahoma St. isn't winning because of their defense, it's because of their offense. Oklahoma St. was pretty dang good at forcing turnovers last season as well.

They mention this stat every game, but most of turnover I've seen them get hasn't been forced at all. Maybe they are good at scooping up fumbles and getting missed passes, but it's not like they CAUSE the majority of them. I personally think it's a lot of good luck. Even the annoucers said this the other day during their game. They didn't FORCE tech to be stupid and start running down the field without the kickoff....

NYC Poke

Good points. I'd say what separates this D (other than depth) from our previous defenses is the ability to come up with stops when they need to. See NP's post above.

The Maestro
There's really no need to talk smack to OSU fans. 10-0, beat the team that beat us in our own yard at their place by 60...won at Texas and Texas A&M...won at Missouri.

Yes, we have 8 years on them and history is nasty lopsided. But this is this year...in 18 days we will answer all the questions. But, as far as this season goes, OSU has the right to puff out its chest. They've just NEVER really been in this spot. Hell, even when they won three or four against us way back when, most years we sucked and the 2001 season they sucked. Unchartered waters. I just wonder if they can handle it. The pressure of being a win over OU away from going to the national title. Oh, and most likely, to face Les Miles.

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 05:05 PM
They mention this stat every game, but most of turnover I've seen them get hasn't been forced at all. Maybe they are good at scooping up fumbles and getting missed passes, but it's not like they CAUSE the majority of them. I personally think it's a lot of good luck. Even the annoucers said this the other day during their game.

C'mon, you're not arguing we've gotten lucky 33 times this year, are you?

They didn't FORCE tech to be stupid and start running down the field without the kickoff....

I'll give you that one. That was ridiculous. It looked like video game football players when they inexplicably do something inexplicable.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 05:09 PM
How many turnovers are "forced"? Nobody forces a lot

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 05:15 PM

The bottom line is this, until you do it, you aint done it. We've owned OSU, last year was "their" year, they had everything to play for and could not get it done. In 09 we were playing without the best QB, TE in college football, not to mention the best OT was playing out of position due to injuries.

They have not beaten OU since 2002, If the OU defense shows up and we don't turn the ball over we will score 50+ on them, the offenses are even, but our defense is light years ahead of theirs.

sooneron
11/15/2011, 05:16 PM
An interesting stat is that OUr D has given up 21 offensive td this year. Which is lower than 35 teams ranked ahead of us, defensively. We are at #46. OSU has given up 12 more than we have @#101.
Bammer has given up SEVEN. Yowza.

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:16 PM

I mentioned this is another thread. The NCAA doesn't keep a stat on "Forced" Turnovers....it's a TV stat. Some turnovers are forced, but most of them are not.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 05:17 PM
Whether they are forced or not, they're getting them and that's what matters. The funny thing about in-state battles is there is lots of emotion and strange things can happen throughout the course of a game. Nothing more than a gut feeling, but I think the bye week will hurt OSU's rhythm offensively and they'll have a performance similar to the KSU game where they turn it over an uncharacteristic number of times while Oklahoma only turns it over a couple (2 annoying picks by Landry I reckon) and that along with Oklahoma's defense who has shown up for the big games this season will be the difference.

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:17 PM
An interesting stat is that OUr D has given up 21 offensive td this year. Which is lower than 35 teams ranked ahead of us, defensively. We are at #46. OSU has given up 12 more than we have @#101.
Bammer has given up SEVEN. Yowza.

The stat I like best is that we've only given up 10 points in the third quarter all year.

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:19 PM
Whether they are forced or not, they're getting them and that's what matters. The funny thing about in-state battles is there is lots of emotion and strange things can happen throughout the course of a game. Nothing more than a gut feeling, but I think the bye week will hurt OSU's rhythm offensively and they'll have a performance similar to the KSU game where they turn it over an uncharacteristic number of times while Oklahoma only turns it over a couple (2 annoying picks by Landry I reckon) and that along with Oklahoma's defense who has shown up for the big games this season will be the difference.

No doubt that turnovers can (and do) affect the outcome of games. And, like you said, forced or not, OSU is getting them.

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 05:20 PM

Okay, so we have asked for politely and received the ball from the opposing team's offense more than any other team in college football this year. Doesn't anyone else know how to say please?

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 05:23 PM

I'd be lying if I said I was confident about this game (I'm confident about our chances, which is a much different thing). Until we play, you guys are the proven winners of this series. Hats off.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 05:25 PM
Okay, so we have asked for politely and received the ball from the opposing team's offense more than any other team in college football this year. Doesn't anyone else know how to say please?

My post was in opposition to those who discount your TOs as being about luck because the defenders aren't stripping the ball everytime or the DBs are intercepting tipped passes...This isn't bedowngrading, this is respecting the ability to get them.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 05:26 PM
I'd be lying if I said I was confident about this game (I'm confident about our chances, which is a much different thing). Until we play, you guys are the proven winners of this series. Hats off.

I will be shocked if the game wasn't a mirror image of last season's game in terms of a high scoring nail-biter and both teams throwing punches and landing back and forth in the closing minutes of the game. I hoping for a lot less stress though and especially no kickoff returns for a TD in the final few minutes unless it is Oklahoma doing it. heh

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 05:29 PM

Turnover margin is incredibly hard to predict. We've returned 9 players from a team that forced 37 turnovers and only forced 20 the next year. They are also something that can disappear from one game to the next as we've had several teams that appeared better than they were because of forced turnovers only to fall flat when they got zero in a game *cough*this year*cough*.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:31 PM

All I know is that they seem to be lucky in this regard. I'm not saying they aren't good at getting them or that is luck is the only reason. But during both the KSU and Tech games, balls were basically fumbled right to them, like an idiot could grab it....and even the annoucers last week mentioned that maybe they are just lucky sometimes too. I don't think turnovers tell as much about how well your defense can stop another offense as much as some osu are willing to believe...

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:33 PM
Turnover margin is incredibly hard to predict. We've returned 9 players from a team that forced 37 turnovers and only forced 20 the next year. They are also something that can disappear from one game to the next as we've had several teams that appeared better than they were because of forced turnovers only to fall flat when they got zero in a game *cough*this year*cough*.

Yep.

Tech had 3 turnovers versus OSU...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 05:42 PM
It's called swarming the football and awareness..Do you know many games I've watched ball carriers just drop the ball and the offensive team recovers because one defensive player is in the area? Defensive awareness will show up in a stat line in turnovers..and probably some hustle to that also...

Defensively, the OSU front 7 is athletic but not great..Lewis the LB is a future NFL stud but overall it's not much..The DBs are extremely gifted as a group though..I would stack their starting DBs against ours and find not much difference if any..

People drop footballs or throw bad passes, that is true..But I've spend enough time on the football field that it does require ability to recognize it and go get it.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 05:47 PM
It's called swarming the football and awareness..Do you know many games I've watched ball carriers just drop the ball and the offensive team recovers because one defensive player is in the area? Defensive awareness will show up in a stat line in turnovers..and probably some hustle to that also...

Defensively, the OSU front 7 is athletic but not great..Lewis the LB is a future NFL stud but overall it's not much..The DBs are extremely gifted as a group though..I would stack their starting DBs against ours and find not much difference if any..

People drop footballs or throw bad passes, that is true..But I've spend enough time on the football field that it does require ability to recognize it and go get it.
I'm not saying it's not good. But osu fans and the media act like it makes up for bad defensive play...Baylor had no trouble moving the ball in the first half against osu, but they only held them to 3 points or something because they forced them to go for it or they got a turnover....Good teams won't **** up like that. OU or LSU will make sure to get points off their gained yardage...

CowboyMRW
11/15/2011, 05:55 PM
Out of our 33 touchdowns our defense has given up, I would like to see how many have come 1) in the first half 2) when the game is out of reach and we go to a prevent defense.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 06:01 PM
Out of our 33 touchdowns our defense has given up, I would like to see how many have come 1) in the first half 2) when the game is out of reach and we go to a prevent defense.

That seems to be the case. You guys give up most of your points in the second half. OU on the only hand lets teams score most of their points in the first half, make them think they have a chance and then come out and *** stomp them in the third quarter. I've been really happy with our second half production from defense this year because in previous years we were a lot like you. Score so many points in the first half that they can't catch up. Again I don't think that did us any favors in 08 when competing against Flordia....as we couldn't put the game out of reach by halftime like we were used to. (or should I say kw couldn't...)

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 06:07 PM

We could get more to the point, against the most athletic teams (ATM and Texas) and the best coached team (KSU), Oklahoma St. was in a dogfight with ATM (20 points in the 1st half), Texas (10 points in the first half) and KSU (24 points in the 1st half). Missouri had 20 points in the 1st half, but Oklahoma St. took control in the second half.

I look at what teams do in their biggest games going in and not because of it favoring Oklahoma and how they performed in those games, but because of how I anticipate Oklahoma will perform in the Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. game, which is a big game like FSU (super-hyped game with FSU being ranked high at the time), Texas (rival) and KSU (undefeated and highly ranked).

toast
11/15/2011, 06:16 PM
We could get more to the point, against the most athletic teams (ATM and Texas) and the best coached team (KSU), Oklahoma St. was in a dogfight with ATM (20 points in the 1st half), Texas (10 points in the first half) and KSU (24 points in the 1st half).

osu's margin of victory in those games were 1, 12 and 7. Those teams averaged 450 yards of offense, and the average brought down by texas one of the more inept offenses in the league.

Joe Kidd
11/15/2011, 07:09 PM
Gundy was HC Last year so we know it's not what he's doing.

Gundy has matched or won more games each season he has been at OSU. He looks likely to do that again this season. I think it is very much what he is doing. It is OSU's first time to have four 9 win seasons in a row, first time to have 6 winning seasons in a row, last year was the first time to win 11 games and this is the first time they have been 10-0, they will go to 6 consecutive bowl games under Gundy while the previous record is 3. He no doubt got a lot of help with the upgrade to the facilities and a fortuitous walkon, but he deserves a lot of credit for what he has accomplished as head coach.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2011, 08:06 PM
I'm not saying it's not good. But osu fans and the media act like it makes up for bad defensive play...Baylor had no trouble moving the ball in the first half against osu, but they only held them to 3 points or something because they forced them to go for it or they got a turnover....Good teams won't **** up like that. OU or LSU will make sure to get points off their gained yardage...

You can't predict that -> Look at us vs USC.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/15/2011, 08:19 PM
seems to me they have a plan, good leadership, and money.

those things usually lead to success in an organization. I think we need to not assume that this is a bunch of luck...they'll be good for a while

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 08:26 PM
We could get more to the point, against the most athletic teams (ATM and Texas) and the best coached team (KSU)

So if we end up playing LSU in the MNC game, who do you think will be the better coached team? The one coached by our current coach, or the one coached by our former coach?

delhalew
11/15/2011, 08:45 PM
Somebody has them playing with a winning attitude. I guess I'll assuming it's Gundy. They should really start paying him better.

NormanPride
11/16/2011, 10:08 AM
So if we end up playing LSU in the MNC game, who do you think will be the better coached team? The one coached by our current coach, or the one coached by our former coach?

Former coach. Gundy isn't a bad coach by any means, but Les has a national title and a lot of success against very good teams. Gundy has yet to beat a top team.

olevetonahill
11/16/2011, 10:25 AM
Only Because I like You as a Person . If yall beat us this year I will root for you to go all the way

NYC Poke
11/16/2011, 11:10 AM
Only Because I like You as a Person . If yall beat us this year I will root for you to go all the way

I know that would be a difficult thing for you, so I appreciate it. But we still have December 3 to worry about. If y'all win I hope they'll let you play for a MNC.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/16/2011, 11:12 AM

I actually like OSU in that matchup. While I think OSU's defense isn't good "overall" because of deficiencies in scoring defense, rushing defense, pass defense, 1st down defense and 3rd down defense, LSU's offense is rather spartan and doesn't have good QB play. Also, LSU's best play-maker is Reuban Randle who is more known for being a 5 star prep receiver than what he has done at the collegiate level and that's all they really have on offense.

Don't get me wrong, he's good, but not a superstar that he was made out to be. Additionally, West Virginia, with a similar style of offense to Oklahoma St. obviously, gave LSU all they could handle for 3 quarters (and 450 passing yards to boot despite 4 turnovers) and West Virginia doesn't have the advantage of very good running backs in Randall and Smith.

I would say OSU would be the better coached team. Les did good things in his short stint at OSU, but Gundy has taken OSU to new highs and has shown consistency and getting OSU there in terms of being able to survive rebuilding years.

With that said, sorry, my dear Sooners are going to be playing LSU, not the Cowboys. :eagerness:

olevetonahill
11/16/2011, 11:14 AM
I know that would be a difficult thing for you, so I appreciate it. But we still have December 3 to worry about. If y'all win I hope they'll let you play for a MNC.

I dont have the hatred for all things OsU that others do. I do feel like they will choke tho.

NYC Poke
11/16/2011, 11:46 AM
I dont have the hatred for all things OsU that others do. I do feel like they will choke tho.

If we have to lose I hope y'all blow us out. I don't think my nerves could take another choke.

olevetonahill
11/16/2011, 11:49 AM
If we have to lose I hope y'all blow us out. I don't think my nerves could take another choke.

Im wondering if the Team and coaching staff have that mentality ?

jumperstop
11/16/2011, 12:01 PM

You can't predict that -> Look at us vs USC.
When did we play usc?

jumperstop
11/16/2011, 12:11 PM

I want bedlam to be the national semi final for that last spot in the NCG. And if you guys go, might as will represent the conference and the state well....and my gf is an oklahoma state grad so since we've together I just save all my hatred for texas. But I have to admit that this mutual respect thing was a lot easier when you guys sucked.

NYC Poke
11/16/2011, 12:18 PM
I want bedlam to be the national semi final for that last spot in the NCG. And if you guys go, might as will represent the conference and the state well....and my gf is an oklahoma state grad so since we've together I just save all my hatred for texas. But I have to admit that this mutual respect thing was a lot easier when you guys sucked.

If we sucked this year like we have in the past, the only thing left for you to talk about this season is who you'd be playing in a bowl. This is more interesting.

jumperstop
11/16/2011, 12:23 PM

If we sucked this year like we have in the past, the only thing left for you to talk about this season is who you'd be playing in a bowl. This is more interesting.
No we would probably still be talking about our chances of getting into the championship game, but it's be a lot less likely. I do like the oklahoma teams doing well though. I root for osu except bedlam. Not that I don't sometimes get a kick out of you guys choking...

sooneron
11/16/2011, 01:05 PM
I usually pull for osu, but giggle if they lose. Trythfully, there aren't a lot of "The only team I root for are the Sooners and whoever is playing OSU" shirts sold in Norman. Same can't be said for the opposite in stoolwater.

sooneron
11/16/2011, 01:06 PM
And Sooners should never use the term Bedl**.

NYC Poke
11/16/2011, 01:12 PM
And Sooners should never use the term Bedl**.

Why? Too close to "Bed Lamb"?

NormanPride
11/16/2011, 04:14 PM
When did we play usc?

Back in the 80s, n00b.

Eielson
11/16/2011, 07:45 PM

I feel the best, but by no means perfect, way of judging a defense is by the points it allows. After all, the ultimate goal is to score more points than your opponent. Turnovers are just a secondary statistic to that. I see turnovers as helping in two ways. The first way being that they can make up for yards given up. If a team drives 70 yards on you, but you pick one off in the end zone, then that turnover pretty much negates the yards. That will show up in points allowed, though. The other way it helps is if you score, or set up a score from the turnover. Doing that essentially negates one of the touchdowns given up earlier in the game.

picasso
11/16/2011, 11:15 PM
Karma is a Kim Kardashian.
You mean Karmen? I think I nailed her one year at Joe's Weekend.

picasso
11/16/2011, 11:18 PM

It's not a given dude. Look around the league. You guys aren't even a k-state or an aTm right now.

picasso
11/16/2011, 11:21 PM
But, as far as this season goes, OSU has the right to puff out its chest. They've just NEVER really been in this spot. Hell, even when they won three or four against us way back when, most years we sucked and the 2001 season they sucked. Unchartered waters. I just wonder if they can handle it. The pressure of being a win over OU away from going to the national title. Oh, and most likely, to face Les Miles.
And as expected their fans don't know how to act.

NYC Poke
11/16/2011, 11:23 PM
It's not a given dude. Look around the league. You guys aren't even a k-state or an aTm right now.

That's right. We beat both of them.

picasso
11/16/2011, 11:29 PM
That's right. We beat both of them.
You're either trying to be funny or you can't reach much depth in your thoughts. Think hard now, both teams have won a Big 12 title and and both teams have beaten Oklahoma since 2002.

toast
11/16/2011, 11:54 PM
You're either trying to be funny or you can't reach much depth in your thoughts. Think hard now, both teams have won a Big 12 title and and both teams have beaten Oklahoma since 2002.

Don't forget though, they did get co-south champions rings last year - that should mean something.

Pricetag
11/17/2011, 01:02 AM
OSU in Stillwater hasn't been a "business as usual" game since the days of Switzer, and the quality of their teams has varied widely since then. It's a waste of energy to hope they get worse. They can get as good as they want, as long as we keep defeating them.

soonerloyal
11/17/2011, 08:27 AM
What I love about this thread is the noobs in bright orange. They are on a Sooner board with puffed chests, strutting and crowing, trying to shout over their more respectful Poke brethren. Especially amusing are the apparent views that we simply cannot fathom how a successful season works, the importance of strength of schedule, how having a talented coaching staff helps players, why it's important to come back from behind to win it, how tough it is beating other teams in the Big 12 to come out on top, etc. *headslap* Don't come to OU fans lecturing us on our own turf about what makes a successful game, or season, or staff, or fanbase or program - or anything else we've been used to for decades on end.

I'm impressed by the accomplishments of OSU this season. The talent has combined with a will to win that is exciting and hopeful. I say again that this OU-OSU game will in my opinion be a bloody battle.The Cowboys are playing for something the likes of which their program has never, ever seen. The usual hatred thrown out is nothing compared to the burning resentment of last year's score combined with the stakes of this year's outcome. The Sooners need to match that intensity and will to win and bring everything to the field - because you can bet the Pokes are coming out with pistols aimed for kill shots.

I've said that if OSU wins out & makes it to the Title game that they'll have my support. My sons have called me on that, pointing out that when the shoe is on the (regular) foot, seldom do we get the same. I don't know what to do. If some of these knuckleheads' behavior is a tiny indication of what we'll have to mop up, I may have to reconsider.

Here's a tip for you bright orange young'uns: If you firmly believe that OSU has permanently climbed up to the performance level of storied football programs...at least try to emulate the civilized behavior that goes with the territory. I know you guys haven't "been there before", but for the love of Pistol Pete, will you at least attempt to not behave like a claustrophobic baboon at a banquet?

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 08:59 AM
What I love about this thread is the noobs in bright orange.

I've been posting here since 2007.

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 09:12 AM

I was trying to keep things light, but I do have a point. A&M may be a "Program" but we have also beaten them 4 years straight and shown consistent improvement. The Aggies continue to be up and down and they've lacked stability at the top. As for K-State, I don't remember when we lost to them last. Snyder undoubtedly is a great coach, but he didn't build a Program there -- as soon as he retired the first time, K-State went back to being K-State of old. Now that Snyder's back they're winning again, but how long will re realistically be around? And there's that whole Power Towel thing.

I'd much rather be in the position we're in than either of those to programs.

soonerloyal
11/17/2011, 09:17 AM
I've been posting here since 2007.

noob ≠ newb

P.S. Do you think you are guilty of the boorish behavior pointed out?

picasso
11/17/2011, 09:23 AM
I was trying to keep things light, but I do have a point. A&M may be a "Program" but we have also beaten them 4 years straight and shown consistent improvement. The Aggies continue to be up and down and they've lacked stability at the top. As for K-State, I don't remember when we lost to them last. Snyder undoubtedly is a great coach, but he didn't build a Program there -- as soon as he retired the first time, K-State went back to being K-State of old. Now that Snyder's back they're winning again, but how long will re realistically be around? And there's that whole Power Towel thing.

You honestly think you guys will be near the top of the league if Gundy leaves or after Grandpa Weeden departs? Highly unlikely. And before you give the Poke response on what we'll do next year if Landry leaves then see our conference titles with different quarterbacks stat. We didn't make a t-shirt about it but it's there.

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 09:54 AM
First, I don't see Gundy leaving. He doesn't even have an agent.

As for Weeden leaving, that's part of college football, and part of why teams go up and down. But we're recruiting better than we ever have. I wouldn't want to put the pressure on anyone to duplicate what Weeden has done, but I think we'll be fine, just like you guys will be fine when Landry eventually leaves.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 10:28 AM
I'll grant that Gundy has gotten the pokes to a level they haven't reached before, and maintained a consistently good team for quite a few years. The difference in this is that OSU's rise has come at the exact time of Texas', Tech's, AND A&M's fall. It A&M is leaving and Tech doesn't look like it will be back in a while, but with WVU and TCU coming in it will be harder to maintain that position.

And I just don't see you guys "recruiting better than ever before". What you HAVE been, is extremely lucky this year. Not with the turnovers, but with injuries. You have next to no depth, and THAT is the hallmark of a traditional powerhouse. We have lost almost an entire squad this year and remain in the top 5. If you guys lose one key player the whole thing falls apart.

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 11:01 AM
I've heard the "one key player" argument every year since Adarius Bowman. And I seem to remember us losing Dez for a season and Kendall Hunter for most of a season and doing okay. I don't expect people from other schools/teams to be that familiar with our roster, but if you think the Pokes success over the last few years rests with a couple of key players, or that we haven't lost anybody to injuries/suspensions, you're just not paying attention.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 11:13 AM
I've heard the "one key player" argument every year since Adarius Bowman. And I seem to remember us losing Dez for a season and Kendall Hunter for most of a season and doing okay. I don't expect people from other schools/teams to be that familiar with our roster, but if you think the Pokes success over the last few years rests with a couple of key players, or that we haven't lost anybody to injuries/suspensions, you're just not paying attention.

You guys lost Dez and were immediately irrelevant. You got annihilated by Texas, shut out by us, and destroyed by a terrible Ole Miss team in your bowl game. Beating terrible teams like Kansas and Iowa State does not make you good. It makes you mediocre.

Again, I'm not talking about being terrible if you lose one guy, I'm talking about any prayer of winning a tough game being gone. We've lost Broyles, Whaley, and a number of our OL and people still talk about us in regards to the MNC game. Whether or not we can pull it off is yet to be seen, but THAT is the hallmark of a deep team.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/17/2011, 11:16 AM
If OSU beats OU, it may still be LSU vs. Bama. That's what ESPN wants.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 11:18 AM
That would be delicious, but it would never happen.

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 11:22 AM
You guys lost Dez and were immediately irrelevant. You got annihilated by Texas, shut out by us, and destroyed by a terrible Ole Miss team in your bowl game. Beating terrible teams like Kansas and Iowa State does not make you good. It makes you mediocre.

There were years I would have given a body part to have 9 wins like we did that year.

Again, I'm not talking about being terrible if you lose one guy, I'm talking about any prayer of winning a tough game being gone. We've lost Broyles, Whaley, and a number of our OL and people still talk about us in regards to the MNC game. Whether or not we can pull it off is yet to be seen, but THAT is the hallmark of a deep team.

Y'all have been hit particularly hard this year, and if you were able to win out it would be a pretty amazing job on Stoops's part, right up there with the season he had to replace RB at QB.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 11:27 AM
There were years I would have given a body part to have 9 wins like we did that year.

Gundy has made enormous strides, and I think his best trait is that he has you guys winning games you should, even if you don't often win games you shouldn't. That's the biggest difference, IMO.

Y'all have been hit particularly hard this year, and if you were able to win out it would be a pretty amazing job on Stoops's part, right up there with the season he had to replace RB at QB.

No doubt. It seems like every year we lose someone key when we're close to winning it all. I don't know why we're cursed, but we are. Sam in the Tech game in 07, DeMarco in the Big12 CCG in 08, and even KSU injuring Jason White in the '03 Big12 CCG before our game against LSU. Them's the breaks, but it really seems like we've had more go against us than most. :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/17/2011, 01:03 PM

Right now, you've taken over the power vaccuum left by Texas Tech. And if you really truly think deep about the situation you are the same team that TTech is -> A truly impressive offense and a meh defense. For whatever reason, schools like OU/Texas etc have a MUCH easier time building up defensive depth than the next tier. I say this even though right now our defensive talent is currently worse than what Blake put on the field.

NormanPride
11/17/2011, 02:16 PM
But at least most of them aren't playing QB.

picasso
11/17/2011, 02:16 PM
You sincerely think you guys have only 2 losses right now in the last two seasons minus Weeden?

NYC Poke
11/17/2011, 02:45 PM
You sincerely think you guys have only 2 losses right now in the last two seasons minus Weeden?

You can play that game with almost any successful team's QB, especially in CFB. I will say this: I was predicting significant drop-off after Zac Robinson graduated. He'd set pretty much every record in our books.

jumperstop
11/17/2011, 03:30 PM
You can play that game with almost any successful team's QB, especially in CFB. I will say this: I was predicting significant drop-off after Zac Robinson graduated. He'd set pretty much every record in our books.

Yeah and then you got lucky by getting one of the most talented walkons in history...
all in the same two years you had your best WR ever...
I don't think you guys will suck, but even the best teams go back to sucking in a few years before getting good again. OU is really the only consistently great team in the past decade. Everyone we were competing with at the begining of the decade is now sucky....except maybe lsu and they do it by paying players and turning their back on the starting qb kicking the **** out of someone at a bar....