PDA

View Full Version : Official: List Your College Football Memories Here Thread

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 03:29 PM
What I mean by this is:

"I remember when the Officials on the field threw RED flags, instead of yellow."

Stuff like that. There is a lot that can be listed that no longer exists.

Here's another one:

"Remember when NCAA players could not advance a fumble?"

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 03:31 PM
Remember when defensive players were allowed to tackle?

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 03:32 PM
Remember when defensive players were allowed to tackle?

Instead of just encouraged?

Heady days.

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 03:34 PM
I remember when Bob Stoops teams were known for their defense

GrapevineSooner
11/14/2011, 03:36 PM
I remember when OU and Nebraska used to play each other.

Every.
Year.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/14/2011, 03:37 PM
They need to bring back barefoot kicking... They're just a buncha pansies now! :shame:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 03:37 PM
Remember when Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:38 PM
Ties.

Specifically OU/TX, even though we won that game.

badger
11/14/2011, 03:38 PM
Remember when we got flagged for throwing oranges on Owen Field and Callahan kicked a last-second field goal to spite us and to prevent an OU shutout? :D

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:40 PM
Remember when the schooner fliped on that awesome turf we used to have? And they fixed it with duct tape?

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 03:40 PM
I remember when I could leave at halftime to get my drink on and get back into the game

OUstud
11/14/2011, 03:42 PM
I remember when I could leave at halftime to get my drink on and get back into the game

This. There's no excuse for OU to not allow re-entry with the massive security presence at Owen Field.

GrapevineSooner
11/14/2011, 03:42 PM
I remember when we used to run this wild *** offense called the Wishbone.

GrapevineSooner
11/14/2011, 03:43 PM
I remember when the Orange Bowl was actually played at the Orange Bowl.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:45 PM

I remember when there was an actual Orange Bowl that the old Orange Bowl used to be played in.

fadada1
11/14/2011, 03:45 PM
Tear-away jerseys. BRING 'EM BACK!!!!

MountainOkie
11/14/2011, 03:47 PM
I remember when Owen Field had a crown.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:47 PM
Remember when you could watch all the bowl games on the same day? Even if you had to move the little TV from the other room and set it on top of the big TV.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:49 PM
I remember when Owen Field had a crown.

I was lucky enough to get a field pass to a game (against Iowa State) when the crown was there. I remember looking across the field and only seeing the top 1/3 of the people on the other side. I'm thinking we had the biggest crown in college football. Of course, it didn't hurt that we ran the wishbone either. :P

badger
11/14/2011, 03:50 PM
Remember when students could toss the visitor's football behind them instead of having to rely on the older alums/fans in the north endzone to get it outta the stadium?

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 03:54 PM
I remember when we had SOONER MAGIC! it's seems be gone these days....

P.S. I love this thread :D

badger
11/14/2011, 03:57 PM
I am five-starring this thread :)

Remember when spek was discontinued for less than a week here and immediately brought back after there were more spek-related complaints than usual? :D

soonerboy_odanorth
11/14/2011, 05:32 PM
Remember when the Fumblerooski was legal?

limey_sooner
11/14/2011, 05:35 PM
3 words. Tear away jerseys.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 05:49 PM
I remember the wooden seats in the stadium, with the south end zone seats painted green to tie into the baseball park, which used to be in the SW corner of the stadium.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2011, 05:50 PM

I remember when the Cotton Bowl was played at the actual Cotton Bowl.

Mississippi Sooner
11/14/2011, 05:52 PM
I remember when the Fiesta Bowl was created so the WAC champion would have a bowl.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 06:27 PM
1:30pm kickoffs?

Breadburner
11/14/2011, 06:31 PM
When Jerry Jones wasn't a dick.....O wait....!

badger
11/14/2011, 06:42 PM
Remember when Stoops said that our crowd wasn't as loud as some other crowds in college football and we responded by being crazy loud? :D

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 06:54 PM
When Jerry Jones wasn't a dick.....O wait....!

Was that when he and The King and Jimmy Johnson and Pat Jones all worked for Frank Broyles over in F'ville?

En_Fuego
11/14/2011, 07:00 PM
I remember when smoking was cool. Especially on the sidelines.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt240/rock2do/switzerclass.jpg

En_Fuego
11/14/2011, 07:07 PM
I will always remember this one play. It was one of the happiest times in my life.

YXTMK229RiU

WileyCoyote
11/14/2011, 07:35 PM
I remember when freshmen were unilaterally granted eligibility in 1972 (primarily for football and basketball), although there were occasions prior to then when they were allowed to play.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 07:39 PM
Remember when the Red/White game was current team against former players?

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 07:55 PM
Remember when Pat Jones' Cowboys would lose a game and he would say "Well, there were a lot of positives, we played hard...", and they would win a game and he would say "Well, we got lucky, we didn't play very good..."?

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 07:58 PM
I will always remember this one play. It was one of the happiest times in my life.

This is one of my all time favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrhHbUvaEic

oudivesherpa
11/14/2011, 08:58 PM
My first OU game in 1956 in South Bend, My dad was an Notre Dame alumni and he took me to the game. OU won 40-0! Much to the chagrin of my dad I became an OU fan that day.

I love OU football but I wish I had gone to more games with my dad.

70sooner
11/14/2011, 09:16 PM
I remember when OU had a real mascot, Little Red.....

marfacowboy
11/14/2011, 09:22 PM
I can remember two-a-days when we couldn't get water except during "water breaks." I'm surprised more people didn't die back in those days. My first Oklahoma memory probably goes back to the Tinker Owens days. I was probably 11 or 12, then. I'd pretend I was him, tossing the ball in the air in the front yard, running under it, catching it and "eluding" defenders. For a touchdown of course.

SunnySooner
11/14/2011, 09:22 PM
Neck rolls, especially the pointy kind The Boz used to favor.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/MSOONER7/Boz.jpg

Also, Astroturf. Very happy that junk is a memory.

ocsooner
11/14/2011, 09:24 PM
Having to listen to OU games on the radio because we sucked so bad during the blakeburger and smellyburbon days.

Sure makes days like tt easier to take.

oupride
11/14/2011, 09:31 PM
'71 victory over texas
'74 TD run by Lil Joe vs Mizzou

SoonerBacker
11/14/2011, 09:34 PM
Being in the stands in Columbia, MO when Joe Washington broke that run and 2 point conversion back in 1975. That place went deathly silent........except for the OU fans in attendance, of course!

ouduckhunter
11/14/2011, 10:39 PM
I remember sitting in the stands my junior year and watching a pony keg being passed up the rows in the student section! Good times! Boomer!

boomersooner28
11/14/2011, 11:24 PM
I remember when Donovan McNabb puked on Owen Field.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/14/2011, 11:33 PM
Having to listen to OU games on the radio because we sucked so bad during the blakeburger and smellyburbon days.

Sure makes days like tt easier to take. Along those same lines, I remember my mom deciding right before the first game of 95 that instead of just going to the season opener, she'd get season tickets. The ticket guy basically told us we had our pick of anywhere we wanted except between the 40s.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 11:33 PM
Along those same lines, I remember my mom deciding right before the first game of 95 that instead of just going to the season opener, she'd get season tickets. The ticket guy basically told us we had our pick of anywhere we wanted except between the 40s.

I love your mom. Please tell me she kept them.

ouwasp
11/15/2011, 12:29 AM
Remember when.... if a tv game was switched on, the viewer could instantly tell who was playing by looking at the uniforms.

Breadburner
11/15/2011, 12:42 AM
Was that when he and The King and Jimmy Johnson and Pat Jones all worked for Frank Broyles over in F'ville?

I bet he was then too...!

yermom
11/15/2011, 01:38 AM
remember when the national championship game was PPV?

reevie
11/15/2011, 07:19 AM
I remember when the team didn't show up for practice one day

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2011, 07:20 AM
I love your mom. Please tell me she kept them.Yes. We sat through some bad football in the 90s. More football memories from that era:

1) "Touchdown Oklahoma, no flags!"
2) Watching the lady across the aisle eat popcorn from the bucket by dipping her tongue into it. We were bored, but by god we weren't leaving!
3) Kelly Gregg
4) Stephen Alexander
5) DeMond Parker

SoonerAtKU
11/15/2011, 08:06 AM
Remember when.... if a tv game was switched on, the viewer could instantly tell who was playing by looking at the uniforms.

I think that's most likely because only 10 or so teams got to be on TV at that point.

And, who can't tell who the teams are by the uniforms?

pphilfran
11/15/2011, 08:09 AM
Shotts up the middle for four...Owens up the middle for four...Shotts up the middle for four....Owens up the middle for four....

OKLA21FAN
11/15/2011, 08:22 AM
Remember when the 'indoor practice' facility was really a 'chat' track underneath the East stands. 'Pneumonia Downs' with 100+ football players running around it made for a great 'dust storm'!!!!!

GrapevineSooner
11/15/2011, 10:33 AM
But what's my favorite memory?

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM INNNNYYYYYYYYYYYY CHRISTMAS!!!

Like after the hail mary against OSU up in Stillwater right before halftime in 1990.

hawaii 5-0
11/15/2011, 10:51 AM
Scotty Hill flying thru a block and nailing Tony Dorsit. (as it was pronounced back then)

5-0

PrideMom
11/15/2011, 11:07 AM
Remember when the schooner fliped on that awesome turf we used to have? And they fixed it with duct tape?

That was the terrible Colorado Game that Snellenberger was going to change OU history!!!

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 12:20 PM
Remember when the 'indoor practice' facility was really a 'chat' track underneath the East stands. 'Pneumonia Downs' with 100+ football players running around it made for a great 'dust storm'!!!!!

I can't tell you the number of times I came across pizz puddles in that dirt. Left a few myself.

Jacie
11/15/2011, 12:37 PM
I remember when Oklahoma had a freshman team that played games against other Big 8 school's freshman teams. They held the games in Memorial Stadium at night and didn't charge admission, at least not the students.

I also remember watching Norman H.S. play in the stadium in a night game. At one point, some Norman guys ran across the field and took possession of this huge fiberglass mascot, I think it was a bulldog, on some kind of trolley and were dragging it back to their side of the field until someone had the sense to make em return it before a full scale riot ensued.

I only heard the story about the pony keg, never took more than pint bottles in myself or a couple of cans of beer after halftime.

I remember Cecil Samarra and have pics of him with my friend in Columbus and myself with him in Tempe.

badger
11/15/2011, 12:56 PM
I remember when a Nebraska defensive dude ran straight into a Ruf/Nek, knocking him into the brick wall separating the students from the field. The Ruf/Nek, blood dripping from his mouth, slowly looked up at the Nebraska guy, who said and did nothing but stare back coldly.

He got off in courts because of conflicting reports, but at least he had to suffer through a humiliating loss that day, filled with oranges flying from the skies.

rock on sooner
11/15/2011, 01:37 PM
I remember Marcus Dupree running back a Colorado punt for a touchdown in 1982.

pphilfran
11/15/2011, 01:43 PM
I remember when a Nebraska defensive dude ran straight into a Ruf/Nek, knocking him into the brick wall separating the students from the field. The Ruf/Nek, blood dripping from his mouth, slowly looked up at the Nebraska guy, who said and did nothing but stare back coldly.

He got off in courts because of conflicting reports, but at least he had to suffer through a humiliating loss that day, filled with oranges flying from the skies.

"f'n hillbillies"

badger
11/15/2011, 01:48 PM
I remember 2007 Mizzou being one of the most fun OU home games in recent history, at one point yelling while covering my ears because it was so d@mn loud near the field (we were about 10 rows up in an endzone).

At one of these points when our defense had Mizzou backed up to the goalline, Josh Heupel was running up and down the sidelines raising the roof like he was a student again :D

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 01:50 PM
I remember a yearly game that had the Super Bowl Champion playing a group of graduated College All-Stars.

That was a fun game to watch, even though the NFL always buttstomped the schoolies.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2011, 01:57 PM
That was the terrible Colorado Game that Snellenberger was going to change OU history!!!Ugh. My seats at that time were in the south endzone. I felt like a visitor in my own stadium. Sucky.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2011, 02:02 PM
I remember Jeff Frazier running it back 96 yards against North Texas in 1995. Afterwards, Smellsofbourbon acted like it wasn't that big of a deal.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 02:06 PM
I could spek the above post a million times for mentioning Jeff Frazier..I loved him

Breadburner
11/15/2011, 02:42 PM
I remember working on a residential construction site....The carpenters always had a radio......Everyone quit working when they announced Switzer was re-signing as coach of the Sooners.....

badger
11/15/2011, 02:57 PM
I remember my first OU game was in 2001 against North Carolina. I remember never before being in that type of heat for that long of time. I remember leaving the stands during third quarter only for UNC to turn it into a more competitive game than it should be (they had that Julius Peppers guy back then). I remember a lot of games that year going that way during the third.

I remember it downpouring by the end of the game and only half of our group having ponchos. I did not have a poncho and got soaked. How in the hell was I supposed to know that rain was en route? It was blazing sun just a few hours ago!

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 03:20 PM
I remember my first OU game was in 2001 against North Carolina. I remember never before being in that type of heat for that long of time. I remember leaving the stands during third quarter only for UNC to turn it into a more competitive game than it should be (they had that Julius Peppers guy back then). I remember a lot of games that year going that way during the third.

I remember it downpouring by the end of the game and only half of our group having ponchos. I did not have a poncho and got soaked. How in the hell was I supposed to know that rain was en route? It was blazing sun just a few hours ago!

I remember that game well, because it was Tommie Harris' debut as a Sooner.

badger
11/15/2011, 03:26 PM
I remember the last time OSU beat OU in Norman. It was Stoops' first loss at home during his Sooner tenure apparently. They rushed the field, but didn't go any farther than the tip of the endzone, fortunately. I remember a guy saying that if they went for the goalpost he would have went after them. I have no doubt that things would have turned out quite ugly if OSU fans didn't stay just-barely on the field, just-barely outta the stands.

Mississippi Sooner
11/15/2011, 03:27 PM
I remember a yearly game that had the Super Bowl Champion playing a group of graduated College All-Stars.

That was a fun game to watch, even though the NFL always buttstomped the schoolies.

Yeah, that game went back a long way. Maybe to the 40s, anyway. But there was one year in the early 1960s when the college kids actually beat the Green Bay Packers. The guys who played for the Packers then said they never saw Lombardi any madder than he was after that happened.

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:27 PM
Yes. We sat through some bad football in the 90s. More football memories from that era:

1) "Touchdown Oklahoma, no flags!"
2) Watching the lady across the aisle eat popcorn from the bucket by dipping her tongue into it. We were bored, but by god we weren't leaving!
3) Kelly Gregg
4) Stephen Alexander
5) DeMond Parker

Is that a bad thing? It helps keep my kids from grabbing my popcorn at the movies. :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2011, 05:28 PM
I could spek the above post a million times for mentioning Jeff Frazier..I loved himJeff is one of my really good friends. He sells insurance in South OKC now. He's doing really well. He blushes when we call him "The Greatest" after the Oklahoman named him greatest player out of Westmoore.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2011, 05:32 PM
I remember the last time OSU beat OU in Norman. It was Stoops' first loss at home during his Sooner tenure apparently. They rushed the field, but didn't go any farther than the tip of the endzone, fortunately. I remember a guy saying that if they went for the goalpost he would have went after them. I have no doubt that things would have turned out quite ugly if OSU fans didn't stay just-barely on the field, just-barely outta the stands.I threw my stadium chair down the bleachers. The loss didn't bother me as much as those jackholes acting like it was their home turf. What were they 2-9 or some BS. Their fans were chanting "this is our team" over and over. Then Gundy (asst coach then) said "it made our season." God as my witness, if one of our coaches ever says that when we only have 2 wins, I will shinkick but aim high.

NCarolinaSooner
11/15/2011, 05:33 PM
1:30pm kickoffs?

and games that were over in less than three hours.............

opksooner
11/15/2011, 05:47 PM
I remember Morris, The Gatekeeper. I remember Pantie Raids. I remember Merrill Green going 51 yards with less than a minute to go to keep the 47
game streak going.

I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. :(

MichiganSooner
11/15/2011, 08:53 PM
I remember going to games in the 1960's at Michigan Stadium and thousands of fans threw thousands of rolls of toilet paper high into the air to celebrate the first touchdown of the game by the home team. They streamered down onto the field and took a while to clean up.

MichiganSooner
11/15/2011, 08:57 PM
I remember watching the game of the week on TV on Saturday afternoon and they even showed the band at pregame and halftime. Bud Wilkinson did the color! After the game, I remember them showing the scores of EVERY game played in the country that Saturday--even the division 3 colleges.

sooneron
11/16/2011, 12:06 AM
I remember triumphantly walking across the astro turf after beating smu, knowing that we were going to the orange bowl to play penn state for the NC. It was the first weekend of December and I was a freshman. I remember the jacket. sweater (Harolds cable knit), jeans (501s!) and boots (lama half quill) that I had on... Crap, I also remember my psycho ex being on my arm! I can't remember why we played them late due to postponement...

sooneron
11/16/2011, 12:10 AM
I just checked Soonerstats.com . Our first game in 1985 was Sep 28th????? Wow.

I sorta remember that forgettable game with Aikman leading the team to a glorious victory over Holtz's Golden Gophers by a score of 13-7!

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2011, 12:29 AM
I bet you also remember SMU opening drive where they pretty much marched 80 yards down the field...... I remember telling my buddy 'we will be okay....the defense will make their adjustments.......... they did ;)

(but didn't we need a little help from Tenn that year to 'know' it was an NC OB?) But Celebrating '#6' on some spare street outside the OB that night was priceless (and yes, the was Champagne involved)
I remember triumphantly walking across the astro turf after beating smu, knowing that we were going to the orange bowl to play penn state for the NC. It was the first weekend of December and I was a freshman. I remember the jacket. sweater (Harolds cable knit), jeans (501s!) and boots (lama half quill) that I had on... Crap, I also remember my psycho ex being on my arm! I can't remember why we played them late due to postponement...

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 06:03 AM
Netflix recommendation:

"Harvard Beats Yale, 29 - 29"

badger
11/16/2011, 09:16 AM
I remember being in Which Wich on Campus Corner when they were broadcasting the first game after the Virginia Tech shootings and the opponent was the East Carolina Pirates. They barely any sound so they had closed captioning on. Before one of the breaks when they were talking about prevailing for the billionth time, the captioning suddenly did this:

PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES PIRATES

Just one after another. To this day, can't watch East Carolina without saying "Pirates Pirates Pirates Pirates Pirates" :D

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 12:57 PM
:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::p irate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pir ate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirat e::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate: :pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

sooneron
11/16/2011, 12:59 PM
I bet you also remember SMU opening drive where they pretty much marched 80 yards down the field...... I remember telling my buddy 'we will be okay....the defense will make their adjustments.......... they did ;)

(but didn't we need a little help from Tenn that year to 'know' it was an NC OB?) But Celebrating '#6' on some spare street outside the OB that night was priceless (and yes, the was Champagne involved)

I'm pretty sure that since miami had lost to a worse team and later in the season, it was decided going into the OB, that it was the MNC game. I remember Barry and joe p. doing an interview where they were sorta heckling Jimmy Johnson. The blow out loss to Tenn sealed the deal for a possible chance of a split.

sooneron
11/16/2011, 01:03 PM
I stand corrected, they lost to UFla the first game that year @ home.

hawaii 5-0
11/16/2011, 05:33 PM

SMU's Jerry Ball was unstoppable that day.

5-0

Mississippi Sooner
11/16/2011, 05:43 PM
Netflix recommendation:

"Harvard Beats Yale, 29 - 29"

I actually saw that about a year ago. Has to be one of the most epic endings to a football game evar.

IB4OU2
11/16/2011, 05:47 PM
I remember Cecil Samara, Little Red, the card section, Steve Owens, and the students getting tickets in the south endzone for 5 bucks.

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 05:54 PM
Spending the night camping out for OU/Texas tickets and ordering pizza delivery to the line.

hawaii 5-0
11/16/2011, 05:58 PM
Spending the night camping out for OU/Texas tickets and ordering pizza delivery to the line.

Orins (was he ghey or not? Not that it really matters.....)

5-0

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 05:59 PM
Orins (was he ghey or not? Not that it really matters.....)

5-0

He was predisposed to make pies.

OrlandoSooner
11/16/2011, 06:52 PM

That was a crazy rainstorm. None in my group had panchos, so we waited around quite a while afterwards hoping that the rain would slow. The wind was crazy swirling trash through the air. My brother has a sweet photo of the empty stadium from that night that I have used as my desktop photo.

My dad slipped and fell in the mud on the way back to the car. I'm rolling at the mental image of him with mud from his feet to his shoulder on one side of his body. Great times.

Lott's Bandana
11/16/2011, 06:55 PM
That was a crazy rainstorm. None in my group had panchos, so we waited around quite a while afterwards hoping that the rain would slow. The wind was crazy swirling trash through the air. My brother has a sweet photo of the empty stadium from that night that I have used as my desktop photo.

My dad slipped and fell in the mud on the way back to the car. I'm rolling at the mental image of him with mud from his feet to his shoulder on one side of his body. Great times.

Shame there weren't cell phone cameras back then.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/16/2011, 07:00 PM
Remember when defensive players were allowed to tackle?Wholly Smokes, WINNAH!!!

11/16/2011, 07:39 PM
My first OU game in 1956 in South Bend, My dad was an Notre Dame alumni and he took me to the game. OU won 40-0! Much to the chagrin of my dad I became an OU fan that day.

I love OU football but I wish I had gone to more games with my dad.You are apparently GOOD LUCK, since that was the onliest time we've ever beaten the domer. Be sure to go to the game the next time we play them.

11/16/2011, 07:43 PM
I remember when OU had a real mascot, Little Red.....He was a mascot EVERYONE loved. I think it was the jerk Holleyman(sp) who fired him, wasn't it?

PLaw
11/16/2011, 10:28 PM
I remember when the referee kept the play clock time with a stop watch and there was not a clock on the field for the everybody to see.

PLaw
11/16/2011, 10:30 PM
I remember when the referee kept the play clock on a stop watch and there was no digital play clock on the field.

PLaw
11/16/2011, 10:31 PM
I remember when SOONER fans used to yell GO BIG RED. When Nebbish came to town, it was could yell it louder.

PLaw
11/16/2011, 10:32 PM
I remember when I got into the '71 Nebbish game with a sherriff's pass.

OKLA21FAN
11/16/2011, 10:32 PM
He was a mascot EVERYONE loved. I think it was the jerk Holleyman(sp) who fired him, wasn't it?
lets just 'blame' it on David Swank..... just because....

PLaw
11/16/2011, 10:34 PM
I remember Billy busting an 80 yard TD run during the first series of the 79 Nebbish game, only to have it called back on a holding penalty. Billy still had a great day.

oudavid1
11/17/2011, 03:03 AM
I remember football before I wanted to coach or had even begun playing.

Missing my first game this year because I was with UCO was weird. Made me miss being a kid.

11/17/2011, 01:18 PM
lets just 'blame' it on David Swank..... just because....Pls. elaborate. thnx

ouwino
11/17/2011, 04:21 PM
i remember when i was about 12, walking into my grandmothers house and she was crying. she was crying tears of joy, because steve owens had just won the heisman.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/17/2011, 04:29 PM
I remember when OU had a 39 game winning streak at home. :(

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2011, 04:39 PM
Okay, not having read the entire thread yet, but posting anyway...

Remember when the ball was placed where the knee hit the ground?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2011, 04:40 PM

And the football team coming out to visit and see all the people waiting for a line call to be made at 2 am...

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 04:52 PM
I remember sitting in the stands during the 1985 game with Miami, and after Stubbs relieved Aikman of his leg bone, Holieway going in. The elderly fan in front of us kept saying "Who is the Holiday kid, the season is already over!"....little did he know...

Salt City Sooner
11/17/2011, 05:30 PM
I remember sitting in the stands during the 1985 game with Miami, and after Stubbs relieved Aikman of his leg bone, Holieway going in. The elderly fan in front of us kept saying "Who is the Holiday kid, the season is already over!"....little did he know...
Jerome Brown.

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 05:32 PM
Jerome Brown.

That's right. Not sure why I was thinking Stubbs...did he play on that same D-line? Wonder why that name came to mind.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/17/2011, 05:38 PM
I remember the "Glory Days."

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/665/756/286464_display_image.jpg?1295987698

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2011/08/howard-Schnellenberger-ou-1.jpg

http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/uploads/John-Blake-Oklahoma-Coach.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
11/17/2011, 05:46 PM

http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/uploads/John-Blake-Oklahoma-Coach.jpg

Did Boo just draw a foul for having too many quarterbacks on the field?

En_Fuego
11/17/2011, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mad Dog Madsen;3400401]I remember the "Glory Days."

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/665/756/286464_display_image.jpg?1295987698

Dr. Tom Osborne was once asked if he feared Barry Switzer's team, and the "humble" Dr. replied "No, but I do fear Gary Gibbs defense"

Or something like that.........:applouse:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/17/2011, 05:53 PM

I watched a few minutes of the OU-Syracuse game from 94 a few days ago. I swear Cale Gundy is a dead ringer for the Gibber.

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Mad Dog Madsen;3400401]I remember the "Glory Days."

Dr. Tom Osborne was once asked if he feared Barry Switzer's team, and the "humble" Dr. replied "No, but I do fear Gary Gibbs defense"

Or something like that.........:applouse:

I can appreciate what Gibbs did for OU now, but at the time, it was brutal. He definitely knows defense. He's made a nice career in the NFL out of it.

PLaw
11/18/2011, 12:51 AM

I remember that, too, sitting behind the visitor's bench. ;((

Boomer

PLaw
11/18/2011, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=En_Fuego;3400418]

I can appreciate what Gibbs did for OU now, but at the time, it was brutal. He definitely knows defense. He's made a nice career in the NFL out of it.

Any chance, Bob would consider hiring him back.:uncomfortableness:

Boomer

8timechamps
11/18/2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;3400421]

Any chance, Bob would consider hiring him back.:uncomfortableness:

Boomer

I've thought of that too, but I wonder if Gary is bitter. Anyway, he seems to have found a nice career in the pros, so I bet he wouldn't give that up (I know you weren't being serious).

sooneron
11/18/2011, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=PLaw;3400625]

I've thought of that too, but I wonder if Gary is bitter. Anyway, he seems to have found a nice career in the pros, so I bet he wouldn't give that up (I know you weren't being serious).

I would be!

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1986

PLaw
11/19/2011, 10:05 PM
I remember when Bob Stoops was considered a "defensive genius". Wow, that seems like a long time ago.