PDA

View Full Version : The new new name for the Bell/Hammer formation???

madillsoonerfan5353
11/14/2011, 02:30 PM
I know this well come off stupid to some, but I'm tired of all the we can/can't make it to the NC game. Thought this was interesting.

How will the Sooners play without Ryan Broyles?
OU FOOTBALL — It's fun to speculate about Oklahoma's postseason prospects, but they're all predicated on how the team plays in its last three games, which must be played without star receiver Ryan Broyles.
BY TRAVIS HANEY Oklahoman 30 Published: November 13, 2011

NORMAN — Chatter is starting to really pick up among Oklahoma fans where the Bowl Championship Series is concerned.

Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles (85) looks on from the sidelines in the 41-38 loss to Texas Tech during the college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and Texas Tech University Red Raiders (TTU) at the Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011. in Norman, Okla. Photo by Chris Landsberger, The Oklahoman

MultimediaVideo
view all videos
West Texas whippin': OSU rolls past Tech

Nov 13Brandon Weeden threw five touchdown passes and the...

Photo
view all photos
How will the Sooners play without Ryan Broyles?
NewsOK Related ArticlesOU climbs to fifth in BCS; OSU stays at No. 2
11/13/2011 NORMAN — Thanks to a couple of losses by teams ahead of Oklahoma, the Sooners continue to squeeze back into the national championship discussion. OU...
What happens if this?

What happens if that?

While the 8-1 Sooners are still to some degree relevant in the national championship discussion, the real question should be this: How will the Sooners play without Ryan Broyles?

Because that answer will determine and dictate interrogatives about the BCS. It's fun to speculate about the postseason possibilities and prospects for OU, but they're all predicated on how the team plays in the final three games of the regular season — and especially the last one, on Dec. 3.

With the bye week in the rearview and the stretch run ahead, it's now time for Oklahoma to demonstrate what its offense will look like without Broyles, the dynamic All-America receiver from Norman.

Landry Jones immediately acknowledged after Broyles' injury that it would be different for him on the field without No. 85 open all over it. Bob Stoops made the same admission about Jones.

How many times in his career did Jones, consciously and subconsciously, train himself to seek Broyles?

This, Baylor, is an important game for the junior quarterback, to demonstrate that his numbers and success transcend having a dependable target of Broyles' ilk. We'll learn a lot about Landry Jones in (possibly) the final four games of his OU career.

Of course, it's not as if the Sooners are completely bankrupt at the position without Broyles.

But OU is now leaning hard on a pair of sophomores, Kenny Stills and Jaz Reynolds. Both have shown they have otherworldly talent, in a variety of ways.

Can they be game-to-game consistent, though? Because that was Broyles.

Can they be down-to-down consistent, though? Because that was Broyles.

No one person will be able to replace Broyles, because he played every receiver position – and was adept at returning punts. Collectively, though, Oklahoma has the players to make this work. After all, the Sooners were going to have to do it in 2012, anyhow. The future is now, as Reynolds pointed out.

Behind Stills and Reynolds, Trey Franks and Dejuan Miller must do more. Miller had flashes in the Kansas State game. Franks was special in the opener against Tulsa. The Sooners could use the help; those guys have played in enough games by now, Miller in particular.

Those lobbying to get the tight ends, James Hanna and Trent Ratterree, more involved could get their wish as OU works to spread out targets that previously went to Broyles.

Game-planning now takes on a greater importance, as well. The wrinkles such as the Belldozer package? It's going to take more of those from Josh Heupel and Jay Norvell as the Sooners work to gloss over the fact it lost one of the nation's top receivers.

Already you have seen Oklahoma go to Blake Bell in short-yardage situations all over the field. Expect that to continue. And don't be surprised if more nuance parts of the package — Ronnell Lewis in on it, the former high school running back maybe even getting the ball — emerge in the coming weeks.

This Sooners team isn't sunk without Broyles — not by any means. But it does have something to prove in the next three weeks, beginning Saturday in Waco.

Read more: http://newsok.com/how-will-the-sooners-play-without-ryan-broyles/article/3623045#ixzz1di3rBPgx

madillsoonerfan5353
11/14/2011, 02:43 PM
I vote for Manhammer. Bwahahaha!

SunnySooner
11/14/2011, 02:48 PM
Hmm, The Bell-peen Hammer? I likey!!

p.s. Sympathy to the dude who has to tackle #56. I bet that's gonna hurt.

goingoneight
11/14/2011, 03:06 PM
Where did this rumoring about Ronnell playing offense start? I thought Millard and Ripkowski were doing just fine.

LakeRat
11/14/2011, 03:27 PM
Ronnell coming in motion!! Yep, some corner is going to die!

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2011, 03:30 PM
They should name it Steve.

Or Julio.

Dan Thompson
11/14/2011, 03:31 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bc3JP

Dan Thompson
11/14/2011, 03:33 PM
Who would R. Lewis replace? Bell?

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 03:36 PM
Ripkowski, probably. I don't like it...

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 03:38 PM
Citing bleacherreport should be grounds for baneing. ;)

Dan Thompson
11/14/2011, 03:55 PM
in the Belldozer formation.

Would R. Lewis make a difference and who would he replace.

I've seen R. Lewis as a running back in the media, http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bc3JP ( as reprint of the NewsOk)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 03:57 PM
Dan, you don't need to keep making new threads about this..Just post it in here..

Mad Dog Madsen
11/14/2011, 03:59 PM
I think having The Hammer run it straight down the D's throat might be a nice experiment to try... BUT, I don't think he's ran the ball in at least 4 years. I did see him score 6 TD's once in High School though. Jus sayin'.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 02:21 PM

delhalew
11/15/2011, 02:43 PM
If the timing was right, and it was done on rare occasions...I could dig it, but I don't want to take Millard/Ripowski out of the equation.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2011, 03:52 PM
boo

mikee likee
11/15/2011, 04:46 PM
Cowbell..we need more Cowbell.