PDA

View Full Version : To someone who understand the BCS computers.

agoo758
11/14/2011, 11:40 AM
Considering that we have only played 9 games while everyone else in the top ten as played 10, does that hurt us? And will we get a boost in the rankings once the number of games evens out assuming we win out? Thank you.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:42 AM
This was just mentioned in another thread. Never thought about it until now and it can only be good to us....I certainly don't see how it hurts us

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:44 AM
Considering that we have only played 9 games while everyone else in the top ten as played 10, does that hurt us? And will we get a boost in the rankings once the number of games evens out assuming we win out? Thank you.

If our SOS wasn't SO far above par, it would absolutely destroyed us. THIS YEAR, our road wins will bail us out.

rekamrettuB
11/14/2011, 11:49 AM

For some, including Oregon and SEC champ, OU will always have 1 less game.

agoo758
11/14/2011, 12:44 PM
Meh. Point taken. :(

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 01:52 PM

It does slightly hurt us.

The teams that are equal to us will have a slightly better ranking in the computers thanks to the one less game at this point. This is because the computers are determined by SOS, home and away games, the opponents that have been played.

If you look at Ken Massey ratings...He has a past and future in the SOS. SOS is what really hurts for not having played 10 games right now...but at the end of the season when all teams have played 12 games, it all works itself out.

Now, people will say what about the conference championship games. They do give those teams a slight edge for playing and winning their conference championship games. This is what helped OU in 2008 over Texas. This is also what helped OU in 2003 over USC.

We will likely see it this year. If LSU loses to Arkansas, then Bama will likely be in the SEC CG. They win that, they are a lock in the BCS MNCG.

This is also why Bob Stoops was so adamant about playing OSU the same weekend as the Conference Championship games are being played and not the week before! Because we don't have that extra game, us playing the same weekend will give the human aspect more to think about since a human poll is more like the "What have you done for me lately" mindset.

starclassic tama
11/14/2011, 02:10 PM
If LSU loses to Arkansas, then Bama will likely be in the SEC CG. They win that, they are a lock in the BCS MNCG.

how would bama play in the SEC championship game if LSU loses to arkansas? they would both have 1 SEC loss, and LSU has the head-to-head advantage right?

yermom
11/14/2011, 02:17 PM
the number of games isn't a factor as far as i know, only the number of losses

having an off week when other people are playing at the end of the season does hurt with the voters though

now that i think about it, i think there was a change specifically for the championship games at some point that helped out with playing the same team twice

also, we had the edge on Texas before the Big 12 championship game in 2008. that's how we played in it. after that i don't think it mattered

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 02:21 PM
how would bama play in the SEC championship game if LSU loses to arkansas? they would both have 1 SEC loss, and LSU has the head-to-head advantage right?

They'd all three have identical conference records and have lost to each other. I believe the tie breaker would go to the highest rated BCS team. Which I think the common belief is that it would be Alabama.

NOVSooner
11/14/2011, 02:24 PM
what may very well be an important factor that isn't getting talked about much (looking at you espn), is that should LSU win out, would a team that didn't win their own DIVISION (Bama), not conference, but DIVISION, deserve a chance at a NC, over 2 other conference champions (if osu loses to OU)? that in and of itself says a lot to me. let's just win out and find out. no need in worrying over what we can't control ourselves

JLEW1818
11/14/2011, 02:25 PM
They'd all three have identical conference records and have lost to each other. I believe the tie breaker would go to the highest rated BCS team. Which I think the common belief is that it would be Alabama.

That depends though. If Alabama is 1 spot ahead of LSU.. and Arky is at least 2 behind LSU. Then LSU would go. In a 3 way tie, if you have beat the team ranked within 1 spot ahead of you. THIS IS SEC RULE

that's why the people were saying in 2008, if the big12 used the SEC rules... Texas would have gone, b/c being ranked 1 spot behind us.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 02:38 PM
That depends though. If Alabama is 1 spot ahead of LSU.. and Arky is at least 2 behind LSU. Then LSU would go. In a 3 way tie, if you have beat the team ranked within 1 spot ahead of you. THIS IS SEC RULE

that's why the people were saying in 2008, if the big12 used the SEC rules... Texas would have gone, b/c being ranked 1 spot behind us.

Right, right. I guess we can't assume LSU would slip very far, Bama didn't when they lost.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:07 PM

It comes down to the fact that Arky, Bama, and LSU would all have one loss...to each other.

That said, the SEC eliminates the lowest team in the BCS rankings and moves to a head to head.

Think about it. If Arky goes to Baton Rouge and wins...they will most definitely jump LSU. The same weekend, Bama is playing Auburn. If Bama wins, they will not be behind LSU.

This creates it where LSU is left out of the SEC CG by virtue of LSU being the lower ranked of the three. Bama would then get the nod thanks to their win over Arky.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:08 PM

No their tie breaker throws out the lowest BCS ranked team and then goes to head to head.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:09 PM
what may very well be an important factor that isn't getting talked about much (looking at you espn), is that should LSU win out, would a team that didn't win their own DIVISION (Bama), not conference, but DIVISION, deserve a chance at a NC, over 2 other conference champions (if osu loses to OU)? that in and of itself says a lot to me. let's just win out and find out. no need in worrying over what we can't control ourselves

If LSU wins out...and OU does too...I think it is really hard to leave out the Champions of what many are saying is the best conference this year.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 03:14 PM
If LSU wins out...and OU does too...I think it is really hard to leave out the Champions of what many are saying is the best conference this year.

You really think the Big XII is better than the SEC this year? I personally don't.

The Maestro
11/14/2011, 03:28 PM
LSU - OSU
Bama - OU
Arkansas - Kansas State
Georgia - Texas
South Carolina - Baylor
Auburn - Missouri
Florida - Texas A&M

Big 12 has Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas with 2 or fewer losses
SEC has Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Ole Miss with 2 or fewer wins.

It's pretty even if you look at all aspects of it.

Pac 12 has Oregon, Stanford, USC followed by UCLA, ASU and Washington. Very weak.

Big 10 has Michigan State, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State and Iowa. Also weak.

ACC has Clemson, Va Tech, Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Wake.

I'll buy the SEC Champ vs. Big 12 Champ argument.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:48 PM
You really think the Big XII is better than the SEC this year? I personally don't.

It isn't just me that thinks this:

Peter Wolfe Computer Rankings (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 6.870
2. SEC 6.549
3. Big 10 5.887

Kenneth Massey Ratings (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 1.966
2. SEC 1.924
3. PAC-12 1.735

Colley Matrix (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 0.789947
2. SEC 0.748269
3. Big 10 0.617832

Billingsley Comparion Ratings (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 281.507
2. SEC 275.136
3. PAC-12 254.504

Anderson & Hester (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 0.702
2. SEC 0.633
3. Big 10 0.557

Saragin Ratings (BCS Computer):
1. Big 12 84.66
2. SEC 80.14
3. Big 10 76.21

And even the talking heads at ESPN say the Big 12 is the top conference this year.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 03:50 PM
Computer numbers are cute. I still think LSU and Alabama are better than OU and OSU.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:55 PM
Computer numbers are cute. I still think LSU and Alabama are better than OU and OSU.

LOL

I think OU would score more points on either of those teams as they did against each other combined!

The signature win so far for both teams Bama for LSU and Arkansas for Bama.

Not exactly a cutthroat schedule for either team.

LSU was getting hype for beating WVU...well, WVU has since lost to some pathetic teams. They were also getting hype for beating Miss St. Who was ranked at the time...they are now 5-5.

Bama has wins over Penn State (Which has ZERO OFFENSE). They did beat Arkansas, but Arky is like OSU this year...decent Offense but sorry defense. This is the same Arky team that struggled against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, not to mention looked lethargic against Troy (a team that just got beat by North Texas).

I will buy into the Bama and LSU hype whenever they beat someone of value that is not in the SEC!

OU has the defense that can shut down both teams offenses....and OU has the offense that can out score either team!

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 03:58 PM
BTW mack....

LSU and Bama is really all the SEC has. I guess you can say they have Arkansas too....but they have only played 3 teams with winning records and lost to one of those teams. The other two have a combined record of 13-7

From top to bottom the Big 12 is a tougher conference this year...and the computers are showing that.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 04:01 PM
Right, right. I guess we can't assume LSU would slip very far, Bama didn't when they lost.

Bame benefitted from a game that showed absolute incompetence by both offenses.

They both were able to move the ball on the defenses...but locked up in the red zone.

It is also because if bama had a kicker that was just as good as OU's they may have won the game in regulation...instead of missing 3 fgs.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 04:06 PM
BTW mack....

LSU and Bama is really all the SEC has. I guess you can say they have Arkansas too....but they have only played 3 teams with winning records and lost to one of those teams. The other two have a combined record of 13-7

From top to bottom the Big 12 is a tougher conference this year...and the computers are showing that.

Who in the Big XII other than OU and OSU is worth a ****? I mean I know KSU and Texas are ranked but god are they both average. Baylor has been exposed, Aggie sucks, Tech has imploded. Mizzou is average. Meh.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 04:31 PM
Who in the Big XII other than OU and OSU is worth a ****? I mean I know KSU and Texas are ranked but god are they both average. Baylor has been exposed, Aggie sucks, Tech has imploded. Mizzou is average. Meh.

Maybe you should stop looking at rankings of a team...

Big 12: (Best Non-Conference Win)

OSU: 10-0 (Tulsa 7-3)
OU 8-1 (Florida State 7-3)
*KSU 8-2 (Miami, FL 5-5)
Texas 6-3 (BYU 7-3)
*Baylor 6-3 (TCU 8-2)
*Iowa St 5-4 (Iowa 6-4)
*Misery 5-5 (Miami, OH 4-6)
eATMe 5-5 (SMU 6-4)
*Texas Tech 5-5 (Nevada 6-3)
*Kansas 2-8 (N. Illinois 7-3)

The Big 12 has played or has scheduled a total of 6 FCS teams 4 Big 12 teams did not schedule any teams outside of the FBS subdivision.

* = Scheduled at least one FCS (non D-1A) school.

SEC: (Best Non-Conference Win)

*LSU 10-0 (Oregon 9-1)
*Bama 9-1 (Penn State 8-2)
*Arky 9-1 (Texas A&M 5-5)
*Georgia 8-2 (New Mexico St 4-6)
*South Carolina 8-2 (East Carolina 4-6)
*Auburn 6-4 (Utah State 4-6)
*Florida 5-5 (UAB 2-8)
*Miss St 5-5 (LA Tech 6-4)
*Vandy 5-5 (UCONN 4-5)
*Tennessee 4-6 (Cincy 7-2)
*Kentucky 4-6 (W. Kentucky 5-5)
*Ole Miss 2-8 (Fresno State 3-7)

SEC as a conference played or scheduled a total of 12 FCS teams. Each team in the SEC has played at least one FCS team.

* = Scheduled at least one FCS (non D-1A) school.

I really don't think it is hard to understand why so many people and computers think that the SEC is lower than the Big 12. They have more teams at or below .500. They all scheduled at least one team that is not in D-1A. Then there is the issue of non-conference wins. The Big 12 has a much better non conference slate this year (as they normally do) than the SEC!

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 04:33 PM
LSU beat Oregon. Have you mentally blocked that out of your head? You keep omitting that.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 04:40 PM
LSU beat Oregon. Have you mentally blocked that out of your head? You keep omitting that.

Yeah...overlooked Oregon.

Changed for your viewing pleasure.

Still doesnt help the SEC out much when it comes to top to bottom.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah...overlooked Oregon.

Changed for your viewing pleasure.

Still doesnt help the SEC out much when it comes to top to bottom.

It is purely my opinion that if OU/OSU had a round robin tournament with LSU/Bama our teams would probably go something like 1 - 3.

FirstandGoal
11/14/2011, 06:17 PM
It comes down to the fact that Arky, Bama, and LSU would all have one loss...to each other.

That said, the SEC eliminates the lowest team in the BCS rankings and moves to a head to head.

Think about it. If Arky goes to Baton Rouge and wins...they will most definitely jump LSU. The same weekend, Bama is playing Auburn. If Bama wins, they will not be behind LSU.

This creates it where LSU is left out of the SEC CG by virtue of LSU being the lower ranked of the three. Bama would then get the nod thanks to their win over Arky.

I personally think that whoever gets left out needs to go buy a banner and hire someone to fly it.
That should fix it.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 06:57 PM
It is purely my opinion that if OU/OSU had a round robin tournament with LSU/Bama our teams would probably go something like 1 - 3.

I personally think it would depend on how much time there was before each game.

If given a week to prepare, I think it significantly gives the advantage to OU and OSU.

Given more than 2 weeks, I think it significantly favors LSU and Bama.

I don't give a damn how good a defense is...but unless you see those offenses like OU and OSU each week it is hard to prepare for them each and every week.

Breadburner
11/14/2011, 07:04 PM
I personally think it would depend on how much time there was before each game.

If given a week to prepare, I think it significantly gives the advantage to OU and OSU.

Given more than 2 weeks, I think it significantly favors LSU and Bama.

I don't give a damn how good a defense is...but unless you see those offenses like OU and OSU each week it is hard to prepare for them each and every week.

All you have to do is get pressure on the QB.....

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 07:15 PM
All you have to do is get pressure on the QB.....

yeah, that is it.

I remember A&M and KSU getting pressure on LJ and though it was not pretty, he still made enough throws to beat them.

Same with FSU.

Sooner95
11/14/2011, 07:24 PM
This is straight off the SEC website. it sure seems more complicated than what anyone is saying here..but maybe I'm wrong..

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative. All Conference versus Conference Games (both division and non-division) will be counted in the Conference Standings.

A. TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
4. Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
6. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

Sooner95
11/14/2011, 07:25 PM
Ours are much simpler..lol

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Bowl Championship Series in the event of a first-place tie:
If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in the conference
The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two highest ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Bowl Championship Series.
The representative will be chosen by draw.

rekamrettuB
11/14/2011, 07:33 PM
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.
That could be interesting. It would then come down wo who is the 2nd ranked team that will decide. They all 3 will be w/in 5 of each other.