PDA

View Full Version : So we either go to the National Title game or the Fiesta Bowl

FirstandGoal
11/14/2011, 11:39 AM
... provided we keep our anuses shut and beat Baylor and ISU.

I see 3 scenarios for us:

1. We beat everybody left on our schedule, jump to #2 in the BCS and go to the national title game
2. We beat everybody left on our schedule, weird crap happens with other teams, and we end up #3 or higher and go to the Fiesta
3. We lose to the gumbies, they go to the national title game, we still end up in the Fiesta.

Does this sound about right?

agoo758
11/14/2011, 11:43 AM
We would certainly go to the BCS, but not necessarily the Fiesta Bowl.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/14/2011, 11:44 AM
We'll play Boise...

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:47 AM
We'll play Boise...
That would have been true last week, as I'm sure that's the match up the Fiesta Bowl was drooling to take. But I don't see Boise getting into a BCS this year...

JLEW1818
11/14/2011, 11:48 AM
voters will put UH in

FirstandGoal
11/14/2011, 11:49 AM
We would certainly go to the BCS, but not necessarily the Fiesta Bowl.

Why not?

The Fiesta has a tie-in with the winner of the Big XII (unless they go to the national title game) and either us or pokey state wins the Big XII. If its pokey, they go to the title game, which would leave us for the Fiesta, or am I wrong on that?

Mississippi Sooner
11/14/2011, 11:51 AM
Houston looks like the odds on favorite to get the non-AQ spot in the BCS this year, but the Fiesta gets first choice among the BCS bowls, and I don't see any way they choose Houston. Houston will fall to the Sugar Bowl. But, that'll be the best case scenario for the Houston fans, for sure.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/14/2011, 11:52 AM
That would have been true last week, as I'm sure that's the match up the Fiesta Bowl was drooling to take. But I don't see Boise getting into a BCS this year...

Oh, they'll find a way. :adjoint:

badger
11/14/2011, 11:57 AM
voters will put UH in

Is the rule that the BCS has to take the higher ranked of the mid-majors, or just has to take one of them if they're top 12 (or top 16 if the big east sucks as much as projected to suck)?

If so, there are 10 BCS spots and no conference (as the rule stands now) can have more than two invites. Here's what I see happening:

BCS title game: SEC #1 vs Big 12 #1
Orange Bowl: Clemson (ACC) vs. Houston (sorry Smurf Turf)
Sugar Bowl: SEC #2 vs. Stanford (Pac 12)
Fiesta Bowl: Big 12 #2 vs. Big East #1
Rose Bowl: Oregon (Pac 12) vs. Michigan State (Big Ten)

This gives the Big 12, SEC and Pac 12 two bids each and everyone else one. The Big Ten is sucking right now (sucks for them because BCS loves how they travel)

You know what would REALLY eff with the system? LSU losing the SEC championship, because then, the BCS has to take the SEC championship game winner (Georgia?) and they can't take both Bammer and LSU, no matter what. The same thing happened to a highly-ranked UT the year we lost to KSU in the Big 12 title game. I think UT was top five and relegated to the Holiday Bowl that year, hehe

sooner_born_1960
11/14/2011, 12:00 PM
Whoever gets last pick this year get Houston. I don't know the order.

Mississippi Sooner
11/14/2011, 12:00 PM
The bowl that hosts the national championship game gets last choice among the at large or non-AQ teams in the mix. That's why I say that Houston will wind up in the Sugar Bowl, if anywhere.

Salt City Sooner
11/14/2011, 12:05 PM
Why not?

The Fiesta has a tie-in with the winner of the Big XII (unless they go to the national title game) and either us or pokey state wins the Big XII. If its pokey, they go to the title game, which would leave us for the Fiesta, or am I wrong on that?
Bowls can switch teams if it's mutually agreed upon. We were very close to going to the Orange Bowl to play Va. Tech back in the '07 season, but it got nixed at the last minute & the rest is (unfortunately) history.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 12:08 PM
Bowls can switch teams if it's mutually agreed upon. We were very close to going to the Orange Bowl to play Va. Tech back in the '07 season, but it got nixed at the last minute & the rest is (unfortunately) history.
Instead, KU beat an overrated VaTech team while we get stuck playing an underrated NC caliber team...

agoo758
11/14/2011, 12:41 PM
Why not?

The Fiesta bowl has first selection of at-large bids this year, and they could very well take us if we lost to diet oklahoma, but since we aren't big 12 champions, they don't HAVE to take us.

PCSooner
11/14/2011, 03:15 PM
If LSU and osu remain undefeated, with LSU #1 and osu #2, Sugar Bowl will have first option to pick an at-large team to replace LSU. They likely choose Bama.

Then Fiesta picks to replace osu. Can't take a conference champ already tied to another BCS bowl - so Oregon is out if they win the Pac-10 and are headed to the Rose. Can't take another SEC team as conferences can only have 2. That eliminates Arky & Gawgia. What other at-large teams are worth looking at to fill the spot? Gotta think it would be OU for the Fiesta - but they could choose a 2-loss Oregon that didn't win the Pac-12 over a 2-loss Oklahoma that didn't win the Big 12.

soonercastor
11/14/2011, 03:18 PM
Boise is OUT, they have to win their conference, which they aren't doing right now. Right now UH has an automatic bid if they go undefeated. I believe the Sugar is last to pick this year and will be stuck with UH.

miesvander
11/14/2011, 03:39 PM
I believe there is a rule that if an AQ conference champ is not ranked in the Top 25 (Big East this year) they can lose their spot to a non-AQ school that is ranked in the Top 10 (Houston maybe). This rule would replace the Big East #1 with Houston, and then there would still be a spot for non-AQ school BCS pick ... I think.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:43 PM

Looks like the Big East is going to forfeit their AQ spot, so it's possible that Boise & Houston (assuming Houston wins out) will both make it in.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:44 PM
I believe there is a rule that if an AQ conference champ is not ranked in the Top 25 (Big East this year) they can lose their spot to a non-AQ school that is ranked in the Top 10 (Houston maybe). This rule would replace the Big East #1 with Houston, and then there would still be a spot for non-AQ school BCS pick ... I think.

You are correct.

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 03:44 PM
I really hope that we don't end up @ the Fiesta Bowl again. Starting to get old. Not only for the fans, but it seems like for the program as a whole. IMO it's the least attractive of all the BCS bowls.

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 03:47 PM
Looks like the Big East is going to forfeit their AQ spot, so it's possible that Boise & Houston (assuming Houston wins out) will both make it in.
Wow, that would be huge. Link?

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 04:05 PM
If that is a rule, I'm not opposed to getting revenge on the smurfs and hang 80 on 'em! That would help us get OUr mojo back. Seems like we might have lost it somewhere back there

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2011, 04:20 PM
Down the Field to victory
On Tulsa on!
Fight on University, Battle on and on.
March to the goal line, oh Tulsa,
Score on mounting score.
March to the goal line, oh Tulsa,
Let the Hurricane roar.
Drive those *********s back and back,
On Tulsa on!
Gold, Blue, and Red, go right ahead,
Down the field to victory!

Boomer.....
11/14/2011, 04:26 PM
If we lose to aggy, I don't see us making a BCS bowl game.

badger
11/14/2011, 04:28 PM
I just overheard a co-worker say this gem:

"The only teams in the top 5 to not get beaten by LSU are OU and OSU."

If there's no other reason to not give Bammer or Oregon the other BCS invite... :les:

PalmettoSooner
11/14/2011, 04:46 PM
If we do not go to the National Championship game...I hope we go to the Orange bowl and play Clemson. I would love to see us hang 50 on them.

kevpks
11/14/2011, 04:50 PM
If we lose to aggy, I don't see us making a BCS bowl game.

Ummm. We'd still be a top 10 team. The SEC can only get two bids. There are four at-large spots. There is a 100% chance we'd get a BCS bid at 10-2.

EatLeadCommie
11/14/2011, 04:52 PM
I think LSU is a lock regardless if they go into the SEC CG unbeaten. Like we were in 2003.

FirstandGoal
11/14/2011, 05:57 PM

Ug! This is exactly the kind of thing that I was scared of. So let's just say that we beat OSU, then don't get the #2 ranking. At this point in time we're stuck with 2 equally crappy options? Gah....

Thanks for clearing up the whole second spot in the Big XII question I had earlier though guys. For some reason, I could not remember if the Fiesta automatically got the highest ranked Big XII member if the "other guy" was gonna go to the title game.

BigTip
11/14/2011, 06:13 PM
Houston has to beat Tulsa first. Not a given.

Salt City Sooner
11/14/2011, 06:21 PM
Houston has to beat Tulsa first. Not a given.
x 2. I just did a little homework on UH's schedule to this point. Sagarin has it ranked at #123. Their opponents aggregate record is 33 wins against 58 losses, & La. Tech at 6-4 is the only team with a winning record that they've beaten. If they're not on an uber-delirious sugar high from all those creampuffs, I don't know what it'll take.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2011, 06:58 PM
And Tulsa actually has some playmakers. And their SOS has been brutal in the non-conference.

On Tulsa on.

Sooner95
11/14/2011, 07:29 PM

yea, I heard this as well. New rule I beleive.

Sooner95
11/14/2011, 07:52 PM
Rule for a Non-AQ team to become an AQ team

The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

Houston wins out, they will be ConfUSA Champs and ranked in Top12. They will become and AQ Selection and HAVE TO BE SELECTED.

That would be 7 AQ teams and 3 At-large

Bowls must select from 2 pools of teams at season end.

(1) automatic qualifiers, all of which must be selected.

(2) at-large teams, if fewer than 10 teams qualify automatically. The following sequence will be used when establishing pairings:

Following are contractually bind.

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-12 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

Bowl that loses #1 team, selects first from Pool, then Bowl that loses #2 team selects next.

They then fill up with Conf Champions and so on and so forth...

January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

I don't see anything that says the SEC can have 3 teams in, so 2 is the max.

Big12 - 2
Sec - 2
Pac12 - 2
B10 - 1
BigEast - 1
ACC - 1

Houston - 1

Boise would be eligible so long as the stay ranked in Top14..but I just don't see anyone picking them.

King Barry's Back
11/14/2011, 09:49 PM

My understanding is that all BCS bowls try to avoid Boise like the plague. They lose lots of money and status when a third tier program like BSU shows up, so try hard to avoid being stuck with a mid-major.

Yeah, the Fiesta made a silk purse with our game w/ BSU a few years back, but I think they would have rather hosted us against against a big-time school.

FirstandGoal
11/15/2011, 05:58 AM
Following are contractually bind.

Bowl that loses #1 team, selects first from Pool, then Bowl that loses #2 team selects next.

They then fill up with Conf Champions and so on and so forth...

January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

I don't see anything that says the SEC can have 3 teams in, so 2 is the max.

Big12 - 2
Sec - 2
Pac12 - 2
B10 - 1
BigEast - 1
ACC - 1

Houston - 1

Boise would be eligible so long as the stay ranked in Top14..but I just don't see anyone picking them.

Thanks for posting this, sheesh this stuff gets really confusing every year.

So, each bowl rotates for first pick and I know that this year that is the Fiesta, with last pick going to the Sugar. Anybody know offhand who gets to pick second and third?

LRoss
11/15/2011, 09:47 AM
Hate to mention it, but there's an outside shot at ND getting a shot, too. They're at 26 in the BCS right now. I forget how high they have to be eligible (is it 14 or 16 or something?) but they're at 26 right now. They play BC -- an almost assured win -- and at Stanford. Obviously the last one is tough and they'll probably lose, but IF they can win they'll get a huge boost in both human and computer polls. Spots are cheap at the back end of the top 25 anyway, and with CCG losers and other random flotsam and jetsam drifting backwards in the normal course of teams losing, it's not out of the question. And we all KNOW that if they're eligible, they're a shoe-in to be selected.

sooner59
11/15/2011, 10:38 AM
OU could be a lock for the Fiesta if we don't make the MNC. Fiesta seems to want OU vs. Nebraska. If Nebraska doesn't win out, they have a list of other schools to replace them.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/7232243/fiesta-bowl-eyeing-oklahoma-sooners-nebraska-cornhuskers

The Sooners obviously will be disappointed if they don't make the BCS national championship game. But there could be a worthy consolation prize waiting for them in the Fiesta Bowl.

Another "Battle of the Big Reds."

Yes, the Fiesta Bowl has its eyes on pairing Oklahoma with Nebraska if the Cornhuskers are eligible for a BCS bowl at-large berth, SoonerNation has learned.

Along with Nebraska, the teams the Fiesta Bowl is eyeing with its at-large selection:

• Stanford: The Cardinal should finish 11-1 and might feature the Heisman winner in QB Andrew Luck.

• Wisconsin: The Badgers will be off the board if they beat Penn State and advance to the Big Ten title game.

• Michigan: Pitting QB Denard Robinson against OU or OSU would be tough to turn down.

• Penn State: The Nittany Lions are a long-shot to be eligible for an at-large, but they obviously would draw interest.

• Houston: With Boise State out of the mix, the Cougars are in position to snag an automatic bid; Kevin Sumlin vs. his former boss?

MORE: Two reasons OU could play in title game

-- Jake Trotter, SoonerNation
Should OU lose in Bedlam -- or win and fail to reach the national title game -- the Sooners are a lock for the Fiesta, provided they defeat Baylor and Iowa State.

Even though OU has been to Glendale three of the last five years, the Fiesta Bowl is still committed to snatching the Sooners if available.

Fiesta Bowl officials are concerned about OU fans feeling some fatigue about another trip to Arizona. The Sooners hammered Connecticut there last year, but the school fell well short of selling out its ticket allotment.

The Fiesta, however, believes that a potential matchup with former conference rivals Oklahoma and Nebraska would become a hot ticket for both fan bases and generate big TV ratings nationally.

With the first BCS at-large selection on the board this year, the Fiesta can make it happen. Of course, Nebraska has to do its part. To be eligible for an at-large berth, a team has to win nine games and finish in the top 14 of the BCS.

At the moment, the Huskers have eight wins and are ranked No. 16. If they beat Michigan and Iowa to end the regular season, they'll be 10-2 and ranked well inside the top 14. That might not be enough to get to the Big Ten championship game. But it will be more than enough to make Nebraska an attractive BCS at-large selection.

The Huskers could still end up winning the Big Ten and making the Rose Bowl. And the Sooners could still make it to the national title game.

But if neither happens, both could have one big-time consolation matchup. And one of college football's former great rivalries could have another day in The Valley of the Sun.

Jake Trotter covers University of Oklahoma football for SoonerNation. He can be reached at [email protected]. Submit questions to his mailbag and look for answers every Friday.

Follow SoonerNation's coverage on Twitter and Facebook.

TMcGee86
11/15/2011, 11:36 AM
Another intersting scenario, say Nebbish wins the Big10 and Oregon goes the the MNC game as #2.

Rose takes us and it's OU/Neb in the Rose Bowl.

That might be pretty sweet.

rekamrettuB
11/15/2011, 12:55 PM

But they have to win their conference and if TCU wins out I think tey win that conference.

The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

Soonerfan88
11/15/2011, 04:58 PM
Those are the requirements for an automatic berth but any team (unless already 2 from that conference) in the top 14 is eligible for an at-large bid.

rekamrettuB
11/15/2011, 05:16 PM
Those are the requirements for an automatic berth but any team (unless already 2 from that conference) in the top 14 is eligible for an at-large bid.

True...but a bowl isn't going to pick Boise unless they absolutely have to. I wouldn't think anyway.

Sooner95
11/15/2011, 05:18 PM
Right. Boise is not getting in via the AQ selection but still could via an At-large. Which I do not see happening this year. Plenty of other Big-6 Conf teams that will be eligible.

OU/NU Rose Bowl would be stellar, but I see that as a long shot.

Sooner95
11/15/2011, 05:23 PM
Hate to mention it, but there's an outside shot at ND getting a shot, too. They're at 26 in the BCS right now. I forget how high they have to be eligible (is it 14 or 16 or something?) but they're at 26 right now. They play BC -- an almost assured win -- and at Stanford. Obviously the last one is tough and they'll probably lose, but IF they can win they'll get a huge boost in both human and computer polls. Spots are cheap at the back end of the top 25 anyway, and with CCG losers and other random flotsam and jetsam drifting backwards in the normal course of teams losing, it's not out of the question. And we all KNOW that if they're eligible, they're a shoe-in to be selected.

Notre Dame would get in as an AQ if ranked in Top 8, that's not happening. They would then fall into the pool of at-large teams if ranked in Top14, again I don't see any bowl selecting them over some of these other Big-6 Conf teams that will be available.

Of course this would require them to go into Stanford and win. Not going to happen. They'll finish 8-4 and go to a 2nd tier bowl like the Champs Sports..

I Am Right
11/15/2011, 06:38 PM
We'll play Boise...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NYC Poke
11/15/2011, 06:57 PM
The Yahoo! picker has an OU/Nebraska match-up in the Fiesta. That would be cool (though I think you guys would kill them).

I Am Right
11/15/2011, 07:25 PM
The Yahoo! picker has an OU/Nebraska match-up in the Fiesta. That would be cool (though I think you guys would kill them).

Had enough of Neb, A&M, Missouri

SoonerofAlabama
11/15/2011, 07:27 PM
Really doesn't mean anything, but espn is predicting we play Fiesta Bowl against Stanford.

OUNASH
11/15/2011, 07:41 PM

It might be you pokies playing them.

yermom
11/15/2011, 08:09 PM
it's way too early for a Nebraska v. Big 12 bowl matchup to be interesting

if we don't make it to the national championship game, the Rose Bowl would be my first choice since i've never been to that game yet. well, that and i love LA

i could see the Fiesta trading our slot if it came to it. they talked about it in 2007, i guess. but last year they didn't sell many tickets. trading us for Stanford or something with the Orange seems like it would make sense

badger
11/15/2011, 08:09 PM

Why would the Rose Bowl ever want to give up butts in the seats that Nebby would bring? They have the Big Ten winner... I doubt they'd give it up for anyone except an SEC team or another Big Ten team.

SoonerFanInAustin
11/15/2011, 09:41 PM
Based on the following, think about the current Rankings and how things may fall.

1 LSU 10-0
2 Oklahoma State 10-0
3 Alabama 9-1
4 Oregon 9-1
5 Oklahoma 8-1
6 Arkansas 9-1
7 Clemson 9-1
8 Virginia Tech 9-1
9 Stanford 9-1
10 Boise State 8-1
11 Houston 10-0
12 South Carolina 8-2
13 Kansas State 8-2
14 Georgia 8-2

January 2012 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

Based on us losing to OSU, we will be in the Top 14.

LSU and OSU will be in the Championship
Oregon will have to go to the Rose
Mich St/Wisc will go to the Orange. Neb has to hope Mich St falls at NW
Clem/Vir Tech winner will go to the Orange

Who knows who comes out of the Big East as the other qualifier. Just go with Cincy for now
Hou would have to be chosen. So only 3 teams can be chosen out of the top 14.

Sugar Bowl gets first choice. They will choose Alabama. So that knocks out Arkansas, S. Carolina and Georgia (only 2 teams from a Conf)
Fiesta Bowl gets the next 2 choices. 1. to Replace the Conf Champion 2. First choice of the remaining BCS bowls. Which 2 would you choose? OU, Stanford, Boise St, loser of Clem/Va Tech or Kansas St or Houston

I would think OU and Stanford.