PDA

View Full Version : Every time I watch ESPiN,

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 11:28 PM
I feel a little dumber. The only one on there who makes any sense is Robert Smith (and, BTW, he's the most educated). I could have mistaken that show for an OU Bashfest. Broyles and Whaley injury this, Tech loss is too bad that. I may be mistaken, but didn't we beat K State and A&M w/o Dom? Wasn't it our defense that dominated those games and set up our offense? Didn't OSU struggle against both of those teams? If we beat OSU without Broyles, isn't that pretty darn impressive?

Now, I do have to say this. Even though I like him, and he is my sig, remember that Rece Davis is a 'BAMA GRAD!!! Of course he will think that us getting in would be preposterous! Craig James's weasel son is on that Tech team, of course he will take anyone but us. Herbie is always in love with the team that he last saw play. I have had about as much stats education and experience as Brad Edwards, and he should be smart enough to know that OU's computer and human poll numbers will skyrocket in the next few weeks while 'Bama will stagnate. Why? BECAUSE WE WOULD BE THE CHAMPS OF THE BCS #1-RATED CONFERENCE IN THE COUNTRY!

Jeez, people are either real freaking stupid (Edwards), misinformed (Herbie), or just outright have an agenda (Davis and James). Over the last few weeks, to include today, I have darn-near written a novel in a number of posts of why we would be the easiest choice, AND THIS ALSO FACTORS IN OUR LOSS TO COMPENSATE FOR OUR OTHER GAINS!!

I'm sorry, but this is enough. Yes, we should have beaten Tech. Yes, it was a fluke, and, yes, if we played them today, we would likely depants them. All of that is beside the point. We will have the best resume (outside of LSU), and with everything that this team has suffered, to not give them their just reward due to whatever lame reason is downright criminal.

Flame me, but this is just my honest opinion. To quote Clark W. Griswold, "Holy C**p, Jesus, I need a Tylenol!" (statement censored)

btk108
11/13/2011, 11:30 PM
As soon as we take down lOSUr...the Espin machine will claim they were overrated and clamor for an LSU/Bama rematch.

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 11:39 PM
You know what, I say we go up to OSU and put a number on them like what we did to K-State and *. I have a feeling that if that is the task laid before this team, that they get it done. If that doesn't get it done, then I think that I will just start watching synchronized swimming because this sport is so darn corrupted and makes no dang sense!

delhalew
11/13/2011, 11:59 PM
You know what, I say we go up to OSU and put a number on them like what we did to K-State and *. I have a feeling that if that is the task laid before this team, that they get it done. If that doesn't get it done, then I think that I will just start watching synchronized swimming because this sport is so darn corrupted and makes no dang sense!

Heh, like I said, womens volleyball is were it's at.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/14/2011, 12:05 AM
espn talking heads are major dícks.

AzianSooner
11/14/2011, 12:08 AM
Some of them make me think of WHY:

1. they think their opinion worthed like a set in stone.
2. they make a lot of money for those Bull.scrap

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 12:15 AM
I hate their talk too....

But we all must remember they must find something that will pull in ratings.

Them talking about everyone but OU pulls in ratings. Why?

Because everyone in the nation has seen what OU is capable, good and bad.
Because everyone is scared to have to face this pissed off OU team.
Because they realize if OU wins out, they will be in the National Championship game.

SO they must talk about Bama, Oregon, or any other johny come lately!

Sooner98
11/14/2011, 12:21 AM
Once we lost to a high school team like Texas Tech, we lost our right to complain or whine about anything anyone on ESPN says.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 12:25 AM
Once we lost to a high school team like Texas Tech, we lost our right to complain or whine about anything anyone on ESPN says.

how stupid.

Even after that loss, ESPN was spinning it that Tech was a good loss. Just like 99% of the Sooner Fan base. Heading into the OU game, Tech lost 2 games by a total of 12 points (A&M and KSU). Both those games, they gave up special teams TDs to lose the games.

That said Tech has completely fell apart. And now that they have beaten OU and have been *** raped ever since, it makes that OU loss look bad...and rightfully so.

But any logical and realistic thinker would know that OU is a much better team than what showed up that night.

OU will be fine...and ESPN knows that. ESPN knows if OU wins out they will be in the BCS title game over any other one loss team (assuming LSU wins out too).

But to keep the crowds happy, they do not mention this. They are giving a false hope to other fan bases...and in doing so, they will conintue to tune in and buy their crap!

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2011, 12:31 AM
Bama and UO johny come latelys? I guess if you mean they have been in the title game more recently than OU, yes.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 12:56 AM
Bama and UO johny come latelys? I guess if you mean they have been in the title game more recently than OU, yes.

No, I mean until this weekend, No one was talking about Oregon.

soonercastor
11/14/2011, 01:46 AM
Most likely before the show the producers give each a team they will make an argument for. Those are not really their opinions, they just argue for the team that they are given and make arguments against the others. Less people would tune in if they didn't have those debates.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/14/2011, 02:13 AM
there's oly one...way to shut everyone up.

win

Kadosh
11/14/2011, 02:14 AM
No matter what they say, voters will always place most weight on the most recent games for the final BCS standings. Here are some facts they will most likely consider:

1) LSU already beat Oregon, on a neutral site. The MNC is a home game for LSU.
2) LSU beat Bama, at Bama.

As we all know, voters don't like setting up rematches, especially in this case because these 1-loss teams didn't play at LSU (arguable for the Oregon game).

So, I'm guessing that if OU romps OSU during the last game before final votes have to be submitted, it will sway the voters to setup LSU vs OU for the MNC. Computers still love the Big 12, and the voters will also.

SoonerMagicinGA
11/14/2011, 08:07 AM
^ This

Curly Bill
11/14/2011, 08:40 AM
I'm not saying the ESPN folks are geniuses, but I laugh every time someone complains about how they hate us, are out to get us, or whatever. Cry me a freaking river will ya.

OUNASH
11/14/2011, 08:54 AM
To some degree they are correct. We shouldnt have lost to Taco Tech. The more tech looks like crap the worse this loss becomes. With that being daid they need to look at the overall body of work, If we beat the Pokes it will all work itself out.
If you dont like what EsPiN has to say quit watching. I have, and dont miss it one bit.

OUInformant
11/14/2011, 09:30 AM
We have to drill Top 25 Baylor and then Iowa St., and then take care of business in Stillwater. That's all that matters. If we do all this, we will be right there and in real good shape.

Tear Down This Wall
11/14/2011, 09:38 AM

Yeah. Without a playoff, it's all about taking care of business during the season...especially against schools who won't even make a bowl game.

I'm not so much worried about LSU or Bama, but Oregon. With their only loss being to LSU, then they may get the rematch with LSU if they win out. As overrated as Stanford was, Oregon still whipped them pretty good at their house. It's a big win for them late in the season.

Rather than play out the future, we should be focusing on Baylor. They suck ***, almost losing to crappy Kansas, but our coaching staff has had late season brain farts in the past. If they can keep from overthinking Baylor and Iowa State, we can hope our win over a #2 Oklahoma State looks better than Oregon beating a then-Top 10 Stanford and Pac-12 championship game.

Unfortunately, though, this post was right, you can't lose to half-assed Tech no matter what the circumstances...they suck, and the whole country knows it.

stoops the eternal pimp
I do not understand the whining and complaining about ESPN and then continuing to watch it.

Zin
The debate they are having now will change, probably multiple times, by the time it comes to make a decision.

5noubus
11/14/2011, 09:40 AM
While watching the ESPN bcs show I told my husband : " I could host this show, I have more prospective than they do, on college football .
I have to think they want to add the drama to make it interesting. I also have to think I would find their show more interesting if it was a sooner love fest, instead of a bash.
Yes Oregon looked pretty good, maybe because that game was 75 % offense unlike 'the game of the century!'
And why won't someone point out that teams do not win after they play OU?
FSU , Texas, KSU, Tech .
Coincidence ? Or are they mentally & physically down?
Where did all the heisman talk go about Luck & Landry? Are their attention spans so short they can only focus on the game they just watched? (btw I think Collin klien should get an atta boy or something that guy gives it his all!)

Partial Qualifier
11/14/2011, 09:57 AM
I do not understand the whining and complaining about ESPN and then continuing to watch it.

I was there a few years ago. What put me over the top was their complete misunderstanding of the 3-way tie in 2008 and the Herbstriet-spearheaded campaign to derail Oklahoma via the voter polls.

Their commentary is like National Enquirer on television. The only time I watch espn now is when they're televising an event I want to watch.

SoonerMom2
11/14/2011, 10:03 AM
I was there a few years ago. What put me over the top was their complete misunderstanding of the 3-way tie in 2008 and the Herbstriet-spearheaded campaign to derail Oklahoma via the voter polls.

Their commentary is like National Enquirer on television. The only time I watch espn now is when they're televising an event I want to watch.

That makes two of us and even then I usually mute halftime or switch to another channel. Their analysis is so bogus and like you said without a lot of facts as we saw it first hand. Think how much worse they would be now with a tie since they own Texas.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 10:04 AM

Exactly..When ESPN started making sports news instead of reporting it, I just decided not to watch anymore...I watch whatever game I want to see and then I turn it..I don't need their analysis of anything..

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Sooner98;3397663] Once we lost to a high school team like Texas Tech, we lost our right to complain or whine about anything anyone on ESPN says. [QUOTE]

how stupid.

Even after that loss, ESPN was spinning it that Tech was a good loss. Just like 99% of the Sooner Fan base. Heading into the OU game, Tech lost 2 games by a total of 12 points (A&M and KSU). Both those games, they gave up special teams TDs to lose the games.

That said Tech has completely fell apart. And now that they have beaten OU and have been *** raped ever since, it makes that OU loss look bad...and rightfully so.

But any logical and realistic thinker would know that OU is a much better team than what showed up that night.

OU will be fine...and ESPN knows that. ESPN knows if OU wins out they will be in the BCS title game over any other one loss team (assuming LSU wins out too).

But to keep the crowds happy, they do not mention this. They are giving a false hope to other fan bases...and in doing so, they will conintue to tune in and buy their crap!

Are you serious about Taco Tech being a good loss? I never once heard that out of any OU fans mouth and much less out of any sports station. I've heard the exact opposite, to the point where some would argue that it's one of if not the worst loss of the Stoops era.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 10:25 AM
Most likely before the show the producers give each a team they will make an argument for. Those are not really their opinions, they just argue for the team that they are given and make arguments against the others. Less people would tune in if they didn't have those debates.

I heard Herbstreit say on air, "This isn't the team I would choose but the producers told me to make a case for them..."

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 10:46 AM
Are you serious about Taco Tech being a good loss? I never once heard that out of any OU fans mouth and much less out of any sports station. I've heard the exact opposite, to the point where some would argue that it's one of if not the worst loss of the Stoops era.

Yes, Everyone going into that game was saying how good a 5-2 Tech team was. Losing to KSU by having a fg blocked and returned for a TD. losing to A&M thanks to a blocked FG and a missed fg.

Yes, ESPN was saying that Tech was a good team. After the game, they were making the same points. And they were also talking about how OU almost pulled off their biggest comeback ever.

OU fans were on Rivals, here, and ESPN saying how good Tech was after the game. They were disgusted that we lost to them at home. But gave Tech credit for being a good team.

delhalew
11/14/2011, 10:55 AM
I for one thought Tech was an awful loss. I still call it the Invasion of the Body Snatchers game.

That said, our big wins outweigh our big loss.

sooneredaco
11/14/2011, 11:00 AM
I stand corrected... News to me. I for one thought it was a horrible loss at the time and even more so later as Taco Tech has crapped all over themselves. Still with that said, I agree that our big wins should outweigh that bad loss

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, Everyone going into that game was saying how good a 5-2 Tech team was. Losing to KSU by having a fg blocked and returned for a TD. losing to A&M thanks to a blocked FG and a missed fg.

Yes, ESPN was saying that Tech was a good team. After the game, they were making the same points. And they were also talking about how OU almost pulled off their biggest comeback ever.

OU fans were on Rivals, here, and ESPN saying how good Tech was after the game. They were disgusted that we lost to them at home. But gave Tech credit for being a good team.

I wouldn't have said they were a great team before the game, but they were alright. After the game, same thing....We were the better team but they weren't horrible....
Then came ISU and I thought well they aren't great, but they had a let down game.....
Then came Texas, and I thought HOLY **** WE SUCK....HOW DID WE LOSE TO THAT TEAM?

And then osu came along, and there was just head shaking.....and then Stanford lost to Oregon and I thought well who cares? We still can go to the BCS if we woop ***....

kevpks
11/14/2011, 11:24 AM
.....and then Stanford lost to Oregon and I thought well who cares? We still can go to the BCS if we woop ***....

To me, you bring up the most important factor here. Our guys need to make a statement like we did in 2008: Continue to mop the floor with every opponent after a loss to force the talking heads to acknowledge that we belong in the title game. That includes OSU. I want a double digit win. This time we need to close the deal and grab #8.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:27 AM
To me, you bring up the most important factor here. Our guys need to make a statement like we did in 2008: Continue to mop the floor with every opponent after a loss to force the talking heads to acknowledge that we belong in the title game. That includes OSU. I want a double digit win. This time we need to close the deal and grab #8.

And I personally think espin's short sightedness, where they only seem to be drooling over the game they last saw will help us a lot in the end if we win out. Since we have the last game, and the biggest that last impression will remain on the espin collective mind during college football final while all the sports writters are filling out their final ballot...

Fraggle145
11/14/2011, 12:03 PM
Exactly..When ESPN started making sports news instead of reporting it, I just decided not to watch anymore...I watch whatever game I want to see and then I turn it..I don't need their analysis of anything..

I think the problem is that now that eSECpn/txpn/ESPiN (i still dont really get this one) is making the sports news, fans are worried about how it will negatively effect the team's opportunity to get into the MNC game. So even if you dont watch yourself a lot of other mouth breathers are... including other coaches and voters.

BigTip
11/14/2011, 01:34 PM
I for one thought Tech was an awful loss. I still call it the Invasion of the Body Snatchers game.

Agreed. The more tech gets creamed, the more so. I think it is good for us to make that game look totally bizarre in every way.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2011, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't have said they were a great team before the game, but they were alright. After the game, same thing....We were the better team but they weren't horrible....
Then came ISU and I thought well they aren't great, but they had a let down game.....
Then came Texas, and I thought HOLY **** WE SUCK....HOW DID WE LOSE TO THAT TEAM?

And then osu came along, and there was just head shaking.....and then Stanford lost to Oregon and I thought well who cares? We still can go to the BCS if we woop ***....

IM sorry, where did I use the word great in describing Texas Tech before the OU game and after their win?

So I take it good means great nowadays?

boomersooner28
11/14/2011, 02:09 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!

oops

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:24 PM
I watched the BCS ranking show last night, and while I thought there may have been a slight jab to OU here or there, the points that were made were pretty accurate. I hate ESPN as much as the next guy, but I didn't think we were targeted last night.

I think it was Herbstreet that made the comment about Whaley and Broyles being gone for the year. I'm a homer when it comes to OU, but I'm also not stupid. There is no way anyone can say we are as good or better without Whaley & Broyles. Do I think we're still a top 5 team? Yep. Do I think we still have a shot at the title? Yep. Do I think we are one of the top two teams in the country right now? Not sure. We'll see when we go to Stillwater.

Reece Davis was making the point about our loss being worse than Oregon, Bama and even Arkansas. He's right. No matter how you slice it, a loss to a pitiful TT team is worse than a loss to LSU or in Arkansas case, Alabama. The only thing going in our favor is the timeliness of our loss, and a chance to stand out on the last Saturday of the season.

Fraggle145
11/14/2011, 04:14 PM
So someone explain ESPiN to me... How is that derogatory? I just dont get it...

Fraggle145
11/15/2011, 03:52 PM
Bueller?

Partial Qualifier
11/15/2011, 04:16 PM
e-Spin. Like, they "spin" anything & everything, whatever it takes to get slackjaws like us talking about them & watching their channel.

Partial Qualifier
11/15/2011, 04:18 PM
Like, they put their "spin" on whatever they can... to benefit their interests

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:22 PM
IM sorry, where did I use the word great in describing Texas Tech before the OU game and after their win?

So I take it good means great nowadays?

IM sorry, where did I say that YOU said they were a great team?

So I take it that when I say 'I wouldn't have said they were a great team before the game', that acctually means what YOU think?.....

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:22 PM
e-Spin. Like, they "spin" anything & everything, whatever it takes to get slackjaws like us talking about them & watching their channel.
I hope he wasn't serious....didn't know that needed explaining.

vtsooner21
11/15/2011, 04:34 PM
As it has been said before, and I dare say it again, the most important game is the next one. Beat the Bears!

Boomer