PDA

View Full Version : Take the FOOT out of football

Jason White's Third Knee
11/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Punts and kickoffs aside, I would be content with removing field goals and extra points from the game.

I get sick of having games hinge on a kicker that rarely sees the field. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game so why bother?

Soonerus
11/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Take punts and kickoffs out too, fine with me...

trey
11/13/2011, 06:14 PM
I agree. I hate when a game comes down to..."who has the best 5'10" soccer player"

8timechamps
11/13/2011, 06:36 PM
I've said it many times over the years of being here, but I hate everything about kicking in football. Hate. It.

En_Fuego
11/13/2011, 06:41 PM
Unless you're a Pro Kicker of course. You play maybe 3 min per game and make a Doctors salary.

MeMyself&Me
11/13/2011, 06:42 PM
Man, kicking goes to the root of football history. If fact, originally, there was no points for TDs. A TD just gave you a free kick for points. I don't think I like the idea of getting rid of it entirely.

oudavid1
11/13/2011, 08:24 PM
If OU had a great kicker that won us a few games this year does this thread exist?

Peach Fuzz
11/13/2011, 08:57 PM
If OU had a great kicker that won us a few games this year does this thread exist?

I'm just gonna go ahead and say hell no. If we had it the OP's way, the GAME OF THE CENTURY! is still going on right now

tulsaoilerfan
11/13/2011, 09:06 PM
Do away with them entirely inside the 20

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2011, 09:12 PM
Punts and kickoffs aside, I would be content with removing field goals and extra points from the game.

I get sick of having games hinge on a kicker that rarely sees the field. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game so why bother?
It adds an additional layer of complexity and strategy to the game. It makes the game less two-dimensional. I can't imagine football without FGs and PATs.

SoonerofAlabama
11/13/2011, 09:40 PM
Don't take that away. It's an exciting part of the game. A chip shot field goal from about the 25 after your quarterback drives you down the field...The kick is up, and it's wide right! The Boise dream is over!

jkjsooner
11/13/2011, 09:44 PM
I agree with Baylor that it adds to the strategy of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing extra points removed though. Maybe a choice between a one point conversion from the half yard line or a two point conversion from the 3 yard line or something would keep the strategy but remove the "almost routine" kick.

I agree that field goals and extra points are awkward and don't really fit the rest of the game. I'd keep field goals for tradition and the strategic side of it.

Oh, and punts and kickoffs are integral to the game. I'd never remove them.

It would be interesting without field goals when the team got the ball within the 25. I'd guess you would pretty much always go for it but there would also be a strategy of trying to pin the other team back at the 1/2 yard line. It would be interesting seeing how that would work with such a short kick.

jkjsooner
11/13/2011, 09:46 PM

So you punish a team for making it inside the 20? Would you want a team who had 3rd and goal from the 19 downing the ball two yards back so they would be allowed to kick a field goal?

Dumb idea.

cccasooner2
11/13/2011, 09:56 PM
Seattle would have been screwed today. :)

SoonerofAlabama
11/13/2011, 09:59 PM
^ Yeah, so would Dallas a few weeks back. They only had field goals. 18-10 or something.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/13/2011, 10:06 PM
How would we decide games where teams cant score TDs? 0-0 tie?

It's certainly an interesting idea. I bet overall we would prefer to have the kicks.

ouflak
11/14/2011, 04:02 AM
A lot of special moments in the game of football would go away if the kicking went away.

limey_sooner
11/14/2011, 05:12 AM
A lot of special moments in the game of football would go away if the kicking went away.

Yep, what real sooner fan would have never wanted to see Uwe leading the block that kick cheers just before he beats Ohio St. with a 41 yard field goal.

OU Adonis
11/14/2011, 07:23 AM
I say take away the forward pass. Its for sissies anyway. Make everyone run the ball all the time.

AlbqSooner
11/14/2011, 07:51 AM
Make the field goal and extra point kickers drop kick the ball. Thorpe was a master at it.

MeMyself&Me
11/14/2011, 10:31 AM
Make the field goal and extra point kickers drop kick the ball. Thorpe was a master at it.

Now that's not a bad idea.

FirstandGoal
11/14/2011, 10:34 AM
Everybody knows real men don't need helmets either. I say we should just suit up rugby-style and let everyone have at it.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 10:35 AM
Now that's not a bad idea.

We would just start recruiting rugby or Australian football players to kick for us instead of soccer players...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tp4acErKkQ&feature=player_embedded
Dude doesn't even stop running while drop kicking it in....

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 10:47 AM
NFL dropkick....done a few years ago by Flutie. First one done since 64 years prior..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jsz-fSNd4&feature=player_embedded

PrideMom
11/14/2011, 12:44 PM
This be a post from a Boise State fan.....

soonerboy_odanorth
11/14/2011, 02:10 PM

What are you? Some kind of closet Boise apologist?

Screw that. They were gifted field position by a bogus call to begin with, and so Karma continued to be a royal bee-hatch for them. If they have their dreams busted every single year as the new and improved home of "Wide Right" having taken the mantle from FSU, I couldn't be happier. (We say every year since that stupid Fiesta loss... "play somebody", and they do... and they lose. What's to complain about.)

So setting that aside for a moment, how much is a game-winning field goal moment in a game of huge national implications, or recovery of an onside kick to also make the game-winning field goal and stick a dagger in the back of your hated in-state rival worth?

Uwe Von Schamann and Tim Lashar have heard your complaint, and they dismiss it out of hand for its impertinence and worthlessness.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 02:15 PM
I say, we take the ball, make it more round, put up hoops, move the game indoors and play it on wood...and you have to dribble this new "football" and shoot it at the hoops to score "points"..

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 03:12 PM
I'm not (and I don't think the OP is) advocating that kicking actually be removed from the game (because it will never happen). What I am saying is that I hate that kicking can be such a crucial part of the game.

A game can be fought hard for 59:59 and all of it comes down to a 5'7" skinny guy with two different shoes on. That's stereo-typing, of course, but you get what I'm saying.

Funny, how "important" it is, yet it's hardly ever seen in youth games. In fact, I've probably never seen a FG attempt earlier than 8th grade, or high school). I'm sure there are youth teams that kick more than others, but not many.

BigTip
11/14/2011, 04:34 PM
Let's take putting out of golf too while we're at it. It's not fair that a 1 yard "shot" counts the same as a 250 yard one.

But I know what you mean. There's no chalk board, no planning, not much team work, none of those elements found in the rest of the game, involved.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2011, 04:38 PM
We need MORE foot in football.

In fact, make the ball round. And make it where you can only use your feet, body, and head. NO hands.

And the point is for each team to try and kick the ball into a framed goal instead of a place on the field.

That would be awesome.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/14/2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not (and I don't think the OP is) advocating that kicking actually be removed from the game (because it will never happen). What I am saying is that I hate that kicking can be such a crucial part of the game.

I am advocating that you and the OP and anyone else on your side of the argument cut the B.S.

You only hate that it can be such a crucial part of the game because in the last two to three years we have kind of sucked at it.

No one, not you, not OP, or any other SF.com oldy-moldy type was saying one stinking word about kicking back in 2000 with Tim Duncun and those special teams units, other than to applaud how freakin' good we were at that aspect of the game.

Regarding the kicking game we need to do one thing, and one thing only: Get. Better.

papawlambert
11/14/2011, 07:19 PM
Big Tip, luv you man! This is what happens during an off week. Let's think up some more goofy rules or drop other things out of the game. We have had some alleged kicking problems, but hopefully Honeycutt is taking care of that.

Papaw

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 07:33 PM
I am advocating that you and the OP and anyone else on your side of the argument cut the B.S.

You only hate that it can be such a crucial part of the game because in the last two to three years we have kind of sucked at it.

No one, not you, not OP, or any other SF.com oldy-moldy type was saying one stinking word about kicking back in 2000 with Tim Duncun and those special teams units, other than to applaud how freakin' good we were at that aspect of the game.

Regarding the kicking game we need to do one thing, and one thing only: Get. Better.

What is wrong with you? You don't know me, or what I "think". I've hated kicking since I was a sophomore in high school, and our kicker missed a kick against Carl Albert that would have put us in the state playoffs (for the first time in years). The kicker was on the sidelines the entire time...missed the only extra point he was asked to make.

I have a suggestion for you. Instead of jumping to conclusions, take a minute and take a breath. Maybe you should go back and read some of my posts over the past 10 years, and you'll see that I'm probably the biggest sunshine pumper on this board. My comment on kicking had NOTHING to do with the Sooners this year or any other.

So, how about YOU cut the B.S., and quit being so negative...ans ASSuming to know what others are thinking.

papawlambert
11/14/2011, 07:46 PM
Were you the back up kicker?
Papaw

Jason White's Third Knee
11/14/2011, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah. Huge sunshine pumper!

'sup 8?

And kicking still sucks. I did enjoy Uwe, Duncan, And the Lashers. Hell, Mike Keeling tried to sell me a house.

It makes the rest of the game irrelevant sometimes and that sucks.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 07:50 PM
Were you the back up kicker?
Papaw

I wish. I don't literally "hate" kicking in football, it's just that I struggle with football players giving it all for the majority of the game, only for it to come down to a kick. It's not fair to the kickers either. Look at the poor kids at Boise over the past couple of years.

I know kicking is never going to be out of the game, just conversation.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah. Huge sunshine pumper!

'sup 8?

And kicking still sucks. I did enjoy Uwe, Duncan, And the Lashers. Hell, Mike Keeling tried to sell me a house.

It makes the rest of the game irrelevant sometimes and that sucks.

JW3K,

Just getting my BP up over a dumb kicking thread...

papawlambert
11/14/2011, 08:00 PM
Unless you have personally been around a kicker you have no clue as to their demeanor or what their thoughts are of being part of the team. For the most part they receive the same treatment from the coaches as from the team. They get a pat on the butt when they make one and are avoided like a plague when they miss. They don't get several extra chances like a QB, receiver, or RB does.
Papaw

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 08:03 PM
Unless you have personally been around a kicker you have no clue as to their demeanor or what their thoughts are of being part of the team. For the most part they receive the same treatment from the coaches as from the team. They get a pat on the butt when they make one and are avoided like a plague when they miss. They don't get several extra chances like a QB, receiver, or RB does.
Papaw

I coach high school football. I understand, all to well, the demeanor of kickers. Like I said, there are times when too much emphasis is placed on them, and a lot of times they get undeserved criticism.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/14/2011, 08:11 PM
And that is my point. They are a totally separate part ofthe fame and too much hinges on the outcome of a kick. Lots of pressure and criticism. It's nuts. Uwe was a stud and we remember home for one thing.

tulsaoilerfan
11/14/2011, 08:30 PM

So you punish a team for making it inside the 20? Would you want a team who had 3rd and goal from the 19 downing the ball two yards back so they would be allowed to kick a field goal?

Dumb idea. It was a joke lighten up

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 08:32 PM
It was a joke lighten up

This thread has had a strange life. Maybe you and I should start our own? (not really)

Soonerfan88
11/14/2011, 09:00 PM
You know what really irritates me? The whole team fights for 59:59 and then some hot shot prima donna receiver gets hit right in the hands but drops the ball in the end zone. He loses the game and ruins the entire season for everyone. Maybe we should get rid of the forward pass?

sooneron
11/14/2011, 09:08 PM
Brent Parker approves this ^ message.

Soonerfan88
11/14/2011, 09:33 PM
:applouse: That was actually the game I thought of as I typed. Of course, that time it wasn't irritating at all.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 11:20 PM
Brent Parker approves this ^ message.

I remember a joke going around after that happened...Brent Parker tried to shot himself, but he kept dropping the gun. Bad taste, but still funny.

GDC
11/15/2011, 12:01 PM
They should have to actually touch the ball down in the end zone, not just break the plane.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/15/2011, 03:31 PM
8, I only have an idea as to what you think from what you post... and only as it pertains to this thread. I am not about to dig through your old posts to get an understanding of the mindless drivel that you "think".... any more than you are through my B.S.

And now it is clear that your "thinking", and I'm using the term loosely, is predicated on an old wound that your inner 15-year-old can't get over, and is devoid of ration, logic, and accountability... like a woman's. (It's a movie reference for those of you tuning in... don't pillory me for it.)

And you, and 3rd eye blind, need to make up your waffles: Either you embrace kicking and the kicking legacy (the Lashars, etc.), or you say it all sucks and don't consider it part of the rich fabric of Oklahoma football (and a key component to the excitement of the sport.)

So B.S, or get off the B.S. pot.

All we are saying.... is give B.S. a chance..... All we are saying... is give B.S. a chance...

And it is all B.S. That's what message boards are for, no?

So cut the B.S. ;) :P

soonerboy_odanorth
11/15/2011, 03:50 PM
What is wrong with you?

And really... you have to ask?

The words, "drop kicked as a child" come to mind... :D

8timechamps
11/15/2011, 05:07 PM
8, I only have an idea as to what you think from what you post... and only as it pertains to this thread. I am not about to dig through your old posts to get an understanding of the mindless drivel that you "think".... any more than you are through my B.S.

And now it is clear that your "thinking", and I'm using the term loosely, is predicated on an old wound that your inner 15-year-old can't get over, and is devoid of ration, logic, and accountability... like a woman's. (It's a movie reference for those of you tuning in... don't pillory me for it.)

And you, and 3rd eye blind, need to make up your waffles: Either you embrace kicking and the kicking legacy (the Lashars, etc.), or you say it all sucks and don't consider it part of the rich fabric of Oklahoma football (and a key component to the excitement of the sport.)

So B.S, or get off the B.S. pot.

All we are saying.... is give B.S. a chance..... All we are saying... is give B.S. a chance...

And it is all B.S. That's what message boards are for, no?

So cut the B.S. ;) :P

That's ALL B.S.! :)