PDA

View Full Version : The what if thread...

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 10:59 AM
What if OU and Bama win out.

OSU's lone loss is to OU.
Bama's lone loss is to LSU.

LSU loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship game.
Oregon loses to Stanford in the PAC-12 championship game.

Will we be seeing a OU vs. Bama National Championship after all?

Dan Thompson
11/13/2011, 11:18 AM
Oregon and Stanford are both in the North division of the PAC-12.

Oregon is leading the North and USC is leading the South. Oregon travels to USC this week, but I think Oregon will win.

UCLA is second and ASU is third place in the South.

jumperstop
11/13/2011, 11:21 AM
Arkansas beats Lsu?

BlownGP
11/13/2011, 11:24 AM
even though we are down to the end of the season. Still lots of games to be played..

Iam4OUru
11/13/2011, 11:29 AM
Arkansas beats Lsu?

I don't think alot of people believe that this is likely.

Partial Qualifier
11/13/2011, 11:31 AM
What if we had been eating PB&J sandwiches instead of working out & stretching for an hour and a half :)

GreenSooner
11/13/2011, 11:31 AM
Oregon and Stanford are both in the North division of the PAC-12.

Oregon is leading the North and USC is leading the South. Oregon travels to USC this week, but I think Oregon will win.

UCLA is second and ASU is third place in the South.

Yes, but USC is on probation and cannot play in the PAC12 championship. So it'll be UCLA or ASU representing the South.

jumperstop
11/13/2011, 11:35 AM
Arkansas beats Lsu?

I don't think alot of people believe that this is likely.
Why not? Just as likely as them losing to Georgia who is WAY over rated.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 12:57 PM
even though we are down to the end of the season. Still lots of games to be played..

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 12:59 PM
Why not? Just as likely as them losing to Georgia who is WAY over rated.

Georgia is playing good ball right now.

Can Arkansas Beat them? Yeah. But I doubt it. Arkansas is much like Stanford...they are paper tigers until they play teams that can actually play the game.

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe LSU would be left out, but it would be replaced by ALABAMA. 12-1 LSU > 11-1 Bama team that they beat at home. I dn;t see how you think losing to Georgia would send them behind Bama.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 01:59 PM
Maybe LSU would be left out, but it would be replaced by ALABAMA. 12-1 LSU > 11-1 Bama team that they beat at home. I dn;t see how you think losing to Georgia would send them behind Bama.

Where would you put Arkansas then?

If LSU loses to Arkansas, then What?

Bama beat Arky. LSU beat Bama. Arky beat LSU.

If that was to happen, then Bama would be in the SEC title game playing Georgia Most likely. IF they win that, Bama would be in the BCS title game.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/13/2011, 02:34 PM
In a three way tie situation I think LSU should still get the nod, depending on how bad Arky would have beaten them by, etc. But supposing its close, LSU has the best body of work a la Oklahoma in 2008.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 02:39 PM
In a three way tie situation I think LSU should still get the nod, depending on how bad Arky would have beaten them by, etc. But supposing its close, LSU has the best body of work a la Oklahoma in 2008.

Problem is, that it would have been LSU's last game of the regular season. We all know losing the last game usually makes it hard to overcome any deficit in the polls. And regardless if it is a 1 point loss or a blow out. LSU would drop 3-4 spots.

The 3 way tie breaker in the SEC is far different than the Big 12-2-1+1+1-1

The lowest ranked BCS team would be eliminated, making it a head to head scenario to decide.

That said, LSU would drop lower than Arkansas. Bama would be either the highest ranked BCS or the second highest ranked BCS team of the three. Meaning it would come down to the winner of the head to head of Bama and Arky.

Bama would get the nod to the SEC title game. Bama wins that game, they are a lock for the BCS title game.

Finally, OU would have the biggest win by beating then #1 OSU. (remember this is what if Arky beats LSU). Meaning OU would get the nod over Arky, LSU, or even Oregon (from having to play either ASU or UCLA in the PAC-12 championship game).

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 02:39 PM
Where would you put Arkansas then?

If LSU loses to Arkansas, then What?

Bama beat Arky. LSU beat Bama. Arky beat LSU.

If that was to happen, then Bama would be in the SEC title game playing Georgia Most likely. IF they win that, Bama would be in the BCS title game.

Bama needs LSU to lose twice to have a shot at the SECCG, if you look at their tie-break rules it will be impossible for them to make it if LSU loses to Arkansas. If LSU loses to Arkansas, then Bama would need LSU to be the lowest ranked out of Arky, bama and LSU.....that just won't happen. LSU has the highest SOS out of the three and even if you think they split the votes, LSU will have the edge in the computers.

Now Arkansas is another story, they need to beat LSU and slip past Bama in the rankings. At that point even if LSU is still ranked ahead of them, all they would need is to be within 5 spots of them and that will most likely be the case, and Arkansas could make the SECCG in that scenario.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/13/2011, 02:41 PM
Problem is, that it would have been LSU's last game of the regular season. We all know losing the last game usually makes it hard to overcome any deficit in the polls.

The 3 way tie breaker in the SEC is far different than the Big 12-2-1+1+1-1

The lowest ranked BCS team would be eliminated, making it a head to head scenario to decide.

That said, LSU would drop lower than Arkansas. Bama would be either the highest ranked BCS or the second highest ranked BCS team of the three. Meaning it would come down to the winner of the head to head of Bama and Arky.

Bama would get the nod to the SEC title game. Bama wins that game, they are a lock for the BCS title game.

Finally, OU would have the biggest win by beating then #1 OSU. (remember this is what if Arky beats LSU). Meaning OU would get the nod over Arky, LSU, or even Oregon (from having to play either ASU or UCLA in the PAC-12 championship game).
You're right..... that makes sense.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 02:48 PM
Bama needs LSU to lose twice to have a shot at the SECCG, if you look at their tie-break rules it will be impossible for them to make it if LSU loses to Arkansas. If LSU loses to Arkansas, then Bama would need LSU to be the lowest ranked out of Arky, bama and LSU.....that just won't happen. LSU has the highest SOS out of the three and even if you think they split the votes, LSU will have the edge in the computers.

Now Arkansas is another story, they need to beat LSU and slip past Bama in the rankings. At that point even if LSU is still ranked ahead of them, all they would need is to be within 5 spots of them and that will most likely be the case, and Arkansas could make the SECCG in that scenario.

No they don't! Do you even have a clue as to what you are speaking of?

My post above is exactly what would happen if LSU loses to Arky.

the 3 way tie breaker is a lot better and easier than the crap the Big 12 has.

3 way tie for the SEC is:

The lowest BCS ranked team of the three is eliminated.
The head to head of the two higher BCS ranked teams would decide who goes to the SECCG.

The one thing you are looking at in the computers is that the fact that LSU doesn't have a loss yet. If Arkansas beats LSU, LSU drop 4-5 spots in the Computers. They drop 3+ spots in the Human polls.

This would make the Human polls look like something like this:

1. Oklahoma State
2. Bama
3. Arkansas (or OU or Oregon)
4. Oklahoma (or OU or Oregon)
5. Oregon (or Arky, or OU, or LSU)

Computer average would look like:

1. OSU (tied #1 as of last week)
2. Bama (#3 last week)
3. Arkansas (#6 last week)
4. Oklahoma (#5 last week)
5. Oregon (#7 last week)
6. LSU (tied #1 last week)

LSU would end up being the lower ranked BCS team of the three (LSU, Bama, Arky). LSU would not be in the SECcg, Bama would be!

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 02:52 PM
LSU would end up being the lower ranked BCS team of the three (LSU, Bama, Arky). LSU would not be in the SECcg, Bama would be!

LOL that's what I was telling you is IMPOSSIBLE. If you think LSU will be lowest ranked out of the three (ONLY SCENARIO where Bama wins the TB) after losing to Arkansas, then idk what to tell you.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 02:57 PM
LOL that's what I was telling you is IMPOSSIBLE. If you think LSU will be lowest ranked out of the three (ONLY SCENARIO where Bama wins the TB) after losing to Arkansas, then idk what to tell you.

So you really think that Bama would be the lower of the three? Or that Arkansas will be after beating LSU?

Only a fool will think that.

Put it this way.

If LSU loses to Arkansas. Bama at worst stays #3. Arkansas jumps to #2. OSU #1. OU at worst would stay at #5.
This means LSU will likely drop 3 spots to #4.

Then take into account the computers. Bama is already #3 in the computers. They keep winning with 2 games left they wont fall.
Arky beating LSU LSU drops to at least #5 in the computers. Arky jumps up at least to the top 3.

So tell me castor...the guy that thinks that LSU wont fall behind bama or arky if they lose their last game....where is LSU?

#2?

Maybe you should look throughout history on what happens if you lose your last regular season game!

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 02:57 PM
I will bet you that LSU would STILL be highest ranked out of those three, like I said the only scenario where they don't go to the SECCG would be Arkansas slipping past Bama and advancing by winning the h2h against LSU. I would have to take an Arkansas blowout to have LSU the lowest out of the three. Look at their schedules. LSU has a far more impressive resume and that will come in handy in the computers.

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 02:59 PM
So you really think that Bama would be the lower of the three? Or that Arkansas will be after beating LSU?

Only a fool will think that.

Put it this way.

If LSU loses to Arkansas. Bama at worst stays #3. Arkansas jumps to #2. OSU #1. OU at worst would stay at #5.
This means LSU will likely drop 3 spots to #4.

Then take into account the computers. Bama is already #3 in the computers. They keep winning with 2 games left they wont fall.
Arky beating LSU LSU drops to at least #5 in the computers. Arky jumps up at least to the top 3.

So tell me castor...the guy that thinks that LSU wont fall behind bama or arky if they lose their last game....where is LSU?

#2?

Maybe you should look throughout history on what happens if you lose your last regular season game!

right now I'm not looking at the overall BCS, too much traffic and one-loss teams. I'm looking at those three ONLY. Never did I say Bama would be the lowest ranked out of the three...I said Arky could slip past them...but I can guarantee you that LSU wouldn't be the lowest ranked out of three (ONLY scenario that advances Bama)

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 03:06 PM
So you think if LSU loses to Arky, then LSU will only drop to #2?

If LSU loses their last game, they will do just as Tech did in 2008, drop 4+ spots in the BCS.

LSU will not remain inside top 2 in the BCS if they lose to Arkansas. And only a fool that believes everything ESPN says will believe that LSU will not drop below Bama or Arkansas in this scenario.

With the rankings so jumbled if this happens, then Arkansas will benefit from beating LSU in the last game. Then Bama winning out will benefit for losing first. As will OU.

After 2003, the BCS pretty much vowed (from all the tweaks) that a team that does not win their division or conference championship, will not make the BCS title game.

This in essence means that LSU will fall below Arkansas. Arkansas will either jump Bama or stay just below them. That means LSU is in the last position in that three way tie.

I know it is hard to fathom...but it is reality!

So, I would take that bet...if we knew that LSU is going to lose to Arkansas.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 03:10 PM
right now I'm not looking at the overall BCS, too much traffic and one-loss teams. I'm looking at those three ONLY. Never did I say Bama would be the lowest ranked out of the three...I said Arky could slip past them...but I can guarantee you that LSU wouldn't be the lowest ranked out of three (ONLY scenario that advances Bama)

Okay castor...how the hell are you suppose to look at it if there is a three way tie in a hypothetical thread?

Face it man. If there is a three way tie in the SEC West between LSU, Bama, and Arkansas...this means LSU loses their last game before the SEC CG.

This also means that LSU will have a fresh exposure of a loss, which means they fall 4+ spots in the BCS.

The BCS is what determines who of the three will be the team that represents the SEC West in the SEC CG. Meaning, LSU will be the lower ranked of the three. This by default makes it a 2 way tie. The two way tie is determined by head to head. Meaning, with LSU being the lower ranked team of the three, that it comes down to Bama and Arkansas. Arkansas lost to Bama. Bama would be in the SEC CG.

Will this all happens? Who knows. I think LSU beats Arkansas....hence the OP I never stated Arkansas.

soonercastor
11/13/2011, 03:11 PM
The thing is this wouldn't be a week to week rankings. It will be the FINAL rankings where everything is taken in consideration. Think of it this way, take their games between each other and look at the resumes...who would have been more impressive; that should tell you how the computers will rank them.

It's just like now Bama and Oregon are ahead of us but I am confident we past them both if we all win out. You're taking the rankings we have right now as a point of reference dropping LSU down if they lose and all that but with the final poll it's different. Don't expect them to automatically move LSU past BOTH Bama and Arky, they will still remember that "game of the century." And if it's remotely close between the three in the human polls, LSU will have the edge.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 03:16 PM
The thing is this wouldn't be a week to week rankings. It will be the FINAL rankings where everything is taken in consideration. Think of it this way, take their games between each other and look at the resumes...who would have been more impressive; that should tell you how the computers will rank them.

It's just like now Bama and Oregon are ahead of us but I am confident we past them both if we all win out. You're taking the rankings we have right now as a point of reference dropping LSU down if they lose and all that but with the final poll it's different. Don't expect them to automatically move LSU past BOTH Bama and Arky, they will still remember that "game of the century." And if it's remotely close between the three in the human polls, LSU will have the edge.

The thing is, it wouldn't be the FINAL RANKINGS!

The final rankings are not out until after all the Conference Championships and regular season games are played. So yes, this would be just another weekly BCS ranking!

This will happen the week before the SEC Championship Game. This would not give LSU another chance to pass either of the teams.

Fact #1: Arkansas faces LSU for both of their last regular season game.

Fact #2: Teams that lose, usually drop 4+ spots in the BCS. The only exception was this past couple of weeks when Bama only fell 1 spot after losing at home to LSU in OT where neither team could muster a TD, Something Western Kentucky and Mississippi State could do against both teams!

LSU losing to a lesser opponent in the rankings (#5 or lower) in Arkansas, would indeed drop LSU 4+ spots.

Hell, OU was losing spots in the human polls when they were winning!

landrun
11/13/2011, 03:36 PM
What if...????

What if Venables wasn't our DC?
We wouldn't have lost to Tech this year. Colorado a few years ago. Had 55 hung on us in Miami, lost to Boise ... and on it goes...

What is Venables wasn't our DC? ... This thread wouldn't even exist.

Another question, what question will we be asking next year when our defense pulls one of its semi-annual choke jobs against inferior talent?
With this coaching staff, it is a lock to happen and we'll never win #8. I'm now convinced of that. This year is it for me. I've given up on the current coaching staff.

You can what if this, and what if that, all you want, we won't be invited to the NC game and frankly have no business being there.

And I'm not sure I want OU there. You will hear people screaming how unfair it is that OU made it (and rightfully so - losing to TECH!).
Then, if history can be used as a predictor, we'll be humiliated proving to everyone that once again OU took a contender's spot and we should have never been in the game.

What if we replaced Venables? That's what we ought to be asking. But there are too many homers in our fan base to discuss something that might make a positive change for OU. Instead we contemplated what is practically impossible, hoping against hope, that our suck job against Tech ends up meaning nothing.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2011, 03:58 PM
What if...????

What if Venables wasn't our DC?
We wouldn't have lost to Tech this year. Colorado a few years ago. Had 55 hung on us in Miami, lost to Boise ... and on it goes...

What is Venables wasn't our DC? ... This thread wouldn't even exist.

Another question, what question will we be asking next year when our defense pulls one of its semi-annual choke jobs against inferior talent?
With this coaching staff, it is a lock to happen and we'll never win #8. I'm now convinced of that. This year is it for me. I've given up on the current coaching staff.

You can what if this, and what if that, all you want, we won't be invited to the NC game and frankly have no business being there.

And I'm not sure I want OU there. You will hear people screaming how unfair it is that OU made it (and rightfully so - losing to TECH!).
Then, if history can be used as a predictor, we'll be humiliated proving to everyone that once again OU took a contender's spot and we should have never been in the game.

What if we replaced Venables? That's what we ought to be asking. But there are too many homers in our fan base to discuss something that might make a positive change for OU. Instead we contemplated what is practically impossible, hoping against hope, that our suck job against Tech ends up meaning nothing.

What is Mike Stoops was our DC? We would have beaten those teams?

I mean Mikey did get throttled against KSU and OSU twice.

Your post was stupid...and that is being nice!