PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we control our own destiny...

Sco
11/13/2011, 12:41 AM
...so long as OSU beats Iowa State next week. We should get into the MNC with a win over a #2 OSU over Oregon and Bama.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2011, 12:43 AM
OSU may have a little say.

SOONER44EVER
11/13/2011, 12:44 AM
OSU may have a little say.

Very little hopefully.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2011, 12:49 AM
I hope so too - just never thought much of that 'control your own destiny' phrase. I understand the context, but the truth is no one controls their destiny. Every opponent has some say and then there are the important things totally out of your control like Broyles tearing his ACL making a routine cut.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2011, 12:51 AM
Kind of a reach since we still need other things to happen

Zin
11/13/2011, 12:54 AM
I'm not as confident as you are, but I hope you are correct. This is assuming of course that everyone else wins out as well. Arkansas is playing well currently as is USC.

If everyone except LSU wins out, that will be an interesting scenario. I'd think OU gets one of the spots, but who gets the next?

cvsooner
11/13/2011, 12:58 AM
I don't care how well USC plays, they're not eligible.

Zin
11/13/2011, 01:04 AM
I don't care if they are eligible, but they can beat Oregon.

PDXsooner
11/13/2011, 01:20 AM
I agree with this post. No one wants a rematch of LSU - Oregon or LSU -Bama and that Plays into our favor

TulsaSooners
11/13/2011, 01:27 AM
LSU did a lot of the dirty work for us. That said, I don't think that we'd want any piece of that team. Give me another potentially easy BCS win over a Clemson or Big East team please.

Seamus
11/13/2011, 01:51 AM
LSU did a lot of the dirty work for us. That said, I don't think that we'd want any piece of that team. Give me another potentially easy BCS win over a Clemson or Big East team please.

Aggie post is aggie.

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2011, 03:41 AM
Correction: OU does not control its own destiny. We control your destiny, and we have elected to send you to some god awful 2nd tier bowl.

LASooner
11/13/2011, 04:11 AM
I'd expect nothing less from a second tier team, and that's why you're Baylor

TahoeSOONER
11/13/2011, 06:10 AM
Correction: OU does not control its own destiny. We control your destiny, and we have elected to send you to some god awful 2nd tier bowl.

Going through the best Baylor and OSU teams, in their storied :uncomfortableness:history, will make this road that much better.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/13/2011, 07:08 AM

we lost to Texas Tech......at home.......

trash talk is best reserved for AFTER the game

Soonerus
11/13/2011, 07:09 AM
Didn't Baylor barely beat Kansas ???

SoonerinSouthlake
11/13/2011, 07:21 AM
Didn't Baylor barely beat Kansas ???

hasnt Tech sucked it up since beating us in NOrman....it matters not. If we show up...we can beat anyone...if we think its a walk in the park...we can seemingly be beat by anyone. Especially if they have a game changing QB

LRoss
11/13/2011, 07:44 AM

So Baylor is second tier now? Are there only two tiers?

Jacie
11/13/2011, 10:47 AM

A couple of those things happened yesterday. The odds of the Sooners making the title game went up and OU is right where the CFN bowl projection put it.

PLaw
11/13/2011, 10:53 AM
We did control our destiny, but let it slip through our fingers, period. Time to start thinking about PHX and next year. We will get punished by the humans for a loss to pink fader team that may not win another game after they beat us. Too many other one-loss teams with a better quality of a loss.

Yep, start making your reservations for the JW and a trip to Four Peaks.

Bummer

marfacowboy
11/13/2011, 11:18 AM
I think a win over the Pokes could seal it, since it's going to happen after the Arky-LSU game and really be a huge media showcase game. We'll be the last big game the coaches see other than the SEC title game (Oregon plays on Dec. 2) , which I figure LSU is going to win. I've seen Georgia several times this year, and I don't think they can beat LSU. Arky has the best chance. The Hogs have a history of beating LSU when they probably shouldn't.
We'll be the last team with a title shot to showcase and against the highest rated team.

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 12:18 PM
I was listening to the morning College Football call-in, and other than the SEC mouth breathers (with all apologies to SabanBall), most callers, when given the scenario, believe that OU should get the shot over 'Bama and Oregon. Look, I have given several reasons why we should get in over these two, and I won't rehash them here. Bottom line is that they take score for a reason, and LSU beat Oregon when LSU was in serious internal turmoil, and they beat 'Bama on in T-town. As an LSU caller put it this morning, "I have already seen those games, why do I need to see it again?" Furthermore, why should 'Bama get in when they wouldn't even have to play in the SEC Title Game? That isn't fair to LSU. Right now, everybody is focusing on the game that UO/Stanford game last night, just like they did last week with the LSU/'Bama game. It will pass, and the fact that we play OSU right before the final tally comes about plays that heavily into our favor.

Whet
11/13/2011, 12:25 PM
The loss to TTU was just so devastating to OU. This loss will be an albatross around OU's neck for the rest of the season and the final BCS selection. The only path OU would have to the NC game would be for Bama, Oregon, and Arky to lose, plus OSU lose only to OU. OSU must be undefeated coming into the Dec 3 game.

olevetonahill
11/13/2011, 12:27 PM

Yup

Soonermagik
11/13/2011, 12:27 PM
OU controls their own destiny here's why:

Oregon and Bama both lost to LSU on a neutral or home field. Thus, no one wants to see those potential rematches. Plus, OU plays the #2 ranked team for their last game, which = a huge jump over Bama and Oregon with a win. If OU wins out they are in the big game.

fadada1
11/13/2011, 12:36 PM
imo, the one thing that would have really helped this year (other than NOT losing to tech), would have been a conf. champ. game against a top 10 opponent. it's still possible, but we need help.

rekamrettuB
11/13/2011, 02:00 PM

Spineless.

rekamrettuB
11/13/2011, 02:02 PM
imo, the one thing that would have really helped this year (other than NOT losing to tech), would have been a conf. champ. game against a top 10 opponent. it's still possible, but we need help.

Which Big XII team will be in the top 10 to have this championship game against?

The best thing to ever happen to OU is Ok State being number 2 on the same day as these conference champ games. It's not the champ game that helps as much as it is playing on Dec 3rd and being in the voters eyes.

fadada1
11/13/2011, 02:05 PM
Which Big XII team will be in the top 10 to have this championship game against?

well, obviously this year is different. My point is beating #2, followed closely by a top 10 at a neutral field would help a jump in the final polls.

LASooner
11/13/2011, 03:04 PM
we lost to Texas Tech......at home.......

trash talk is best reserved for AFTER the game

That's actually the gutless way to trash talk.

rekamrettuB
11/13/2011, 03:08 PM
That's actually the gutless way to trash talk.

Ya...talk trash prior to the game, then lose, and when someone calls you on it, punch them in the face when they turn the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_3299v-A1o

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 04:18 PM
I heard a caller say something rather profound about this whole thing: "isn't this thing supposed to be about who you have beaten?" If that is the case, here's my "back of the envelope" take on this:

Oregon:
Nevada: 6-3; leads the WAC; key game left with LA Tech 6-3; finishes 8-4
Cal: 6-4; games left against Stanford and ASU; probably finishes 6-6
ASU (X2): 6-4; a key game against Cal; probably finishes 8-5 as PAC-12 South Champs
U-Dub: 6-4; finishes 8-4
Stanford: 9-1; finishes 11-1
SUC: 8-2; finishes 9-3

Analysis: 7 key wins; one win over a 6-6; two wins over teams with 8-4 records; two over ASU @ 8-5; one 9-3; one 11-1

'Bama:
PSU: 8-2; finishes 8-4 (loses to Wisky and tOSU)
Arky: 9-1; finishes 10-2 (loses to LSU)
FLA: 5-5; finishes 6-6 (loses to FSU)
Vandy: 5-5; finishes 6-6 (beats Tenn, loses to WF)
MSU: 5-5; finishes 6-6 (loses to Arky)
Auburn: 6-4; finishes 7-5 (loses Iron Bowl)

Analysis: 6 key wins; three 6-6 teams, one 7-5, one 8-4, and one 10-2

OU:
Tulsa: 7-3, finishes 10-3 as CUSA champs and controls their own destiny; their three losses are to teams with a combined 2 losses
FSU: 7-3, finishes 9-3 (beats FLA)
Ball State: 6-4; controls own destiny in the MAC; finishes 9-4
Mizzou: 5-5; finishes 7-5; beats Tech and KU
*: 7-3; finishes 8-4; loses to K-State; beats A&M
K-State: 8-2; finishes 10-2; beats * and ISU
A&M: 5-5; finishes 6-6; beats KU; loses to *
Baylor: 6-3; finishes 6-6; loses to OU, Tech, and *
OSU: 10-0; finishes 11-1

Analysis: 9 key wins; two 6-6 teams; one 7-5; one 8-4; one 9-4 conference champ; one 9-3; one 10-3 conference champ; one 10-2; one 11-1

Even if there is some movement right or left, OU CLEARLY has the best resume, even if you take out a key win with our loss to Tech and give 'Bama and Oregon one more key win for their losses to LSU. I still don't know why this is so hard for folks to grasp. Our loss was a fluke in a game that should have been rescheduled until the next day. 'Bama and Oregon were straight-up beaten by LSU, and would probably be beaten by them again. Thus, if you hear anybody talk about resumes and they don't have us at the best 1-loss team, they are full of carp!

Sooner95
11/13/2011, 04:21 PM
I don't see how we control anything. We need to many other things to happen. Just because some of you THINK no one wants a rematch does not mean it's true.

Putting the fate into the human pollsters is not control our own destiny. The computers only control 1.3 of this equation. We had better not only beat the pokes but we better beat them by 20.

Sooner95
11/13/2011, 04:26 PM
This is well laid out. Good stuff.

I heard a caller say something rather profound about this whole thing: "isn't this thing supposed to be about who you have beaten?" If that is the case, here's my "back of the envelope" take on this:

Oregon:
ASU (X2): 6-4; a key game against Cal; probably finishes 8-5 as PAC-12 South Champs

Analysis: 7 key wins; one win over a 6-6; two wins over teams with 8-4 records; two over ASU @ 8-5; one 9-3; one 11-1

'Bama:

OU:
Tulsa: 7-3, finishes 10-3 as CUSA champs and controls their own destiny; their three losses are to teams with a combined 2 losses

Analysis: 9 key wins; two 6-6 teams; one 7-5; one 8-4; one 9-4 conference champ; one 9-3; one 10-3 conference champ; one 10-2; one 11-1

Even if there is some movement right or left, OU CLEARLY has the best resume, even if you take out a key win with our loss to Tech and give 'Bama and Oregon one more key win for their losses to LSU. I still don't know why this is so hard for folks to grasp. Our loss was a fluke in a game that should have been rescheduled until the next day. 'Bama and Oregon were straight-up beaten by LSU, and would probably be beaten by them again. Thus, if you hear anybody talk about resumes and they don't have us at the best 1-loss team, they are full of carp!

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 04:28 PM
I don't see how we control anything. We need to many other things to happen. Just because some of you THINK no one wants a rematch does not mean it's true.

Putting the fate into the human pollsters is not control our own destiny. The computers only control 1.3 of this equation. We had better not only beat the pokes but we better beat them by 20.

A large win over the Pokes would help, but simply beating them should be enough. As seen above, we have the better resume, and I have more things I could throw out in other threads that strengthen our case even more than that, but I don't want to rewrite War and Peace. The ONLY argument that 'Bama and Oregon have against us is our loss, but even with that we have a better case. Bottom line- we beat OSU in the last major game of the year, and we will play for it all. It may not seem right now that we control our own destiny, but we are in pretty good shape.

kevpks
11/13/2011, 04:31 PM
A large win over the Pokes would help, but simply beating them should be enough. As seen above, we have the better resume, and I have more things I could throw out in other threads that strengthen our case even more than that, but I don't want to rewrite War and Peace. The ONLY argument that 'Bama and Oregon have against us is our loss, but even with that we have a better case. Bottom line- we beat OSU in the last major game of the year, and we will play for it all. It may not seem right now that we control our own destiny, but we are in pretty good shape.

I agree with your take Iron Horse. I think our biggest advantage is that the OU/OSU game is a much better matchup than any of the championship games. We shouldn't underestimate that this will be the last big game the voters see. Plus we have a good chance to get some style points over the next two weeks. If we play really well against Baylor and ISU, that Tech game becomes even more of an anomaly.

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 04:33 PM
This is well laid out. Good stuff.

Thanks, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the OU SID will go into full attack mode with this argument. If they don't, I will happily contribute my case to the cause and e-mail this exact analysis to every dang voter out there. This is why the computers have us so danged high, and will continue to do so. Again, thanks for the kind words!

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 04:38 PM
Also, please thank our athletic department for putting together this schedule. There is a reason that we lead the nation in BCS Title Game appearances. In the end, the two teams who played the best competition will end up playing for it all at the end of the year- LSU and OU. They could end up beating a combined four conference champions (Oregon, WVU, Tulsa, Ball State) and two other BCS at-large teams (OSU and 'Bama), along with Arky and K-State who are just on the outside looking in.

Sooner95
11/13/2011, 05:11 PM
Hey, I hope you are correct, I've seen odder things happen though. still alot of football remaining.

Hell, whose to say Georgia doesn't screw this all up with an SEC Championship win over LSU??

LRoss
11/13/2011, 08:52 PM
OU:

Although I agree with the overall point that, if OU wins out, they have the best wins of the one-loss teams and that's often what the focus becomes:

It's not impossible, but not exactly a shoe-in that Tulsa beats Houston and then SMU;

and

That Ball St wins @ NIU and against Toledo, both of who they are behind having, lost to the likes of Temple and W. Mich.

Sabanball
11/13/2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry, but I disagree--you guys need outside help to get to NO. If Bama, Oregon, and OU win out, it will come down to Bama and Oregon because of the the three you guys have the worst loss--and it is not even close.

Fraggle145
11/13/2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry, but I disagree--you guys need outside help to get to NO. If Bama, Oregon, and OU win out, it will come down to Bama and Oregon because of the the three you guys have the worst loss--and it is not even close.

We will also have the best wins. And that isnt close either.

BTW the Hilltoppers scored more than your amazing SEC offense on LSU. Just sayin'...

Sabanball
11/13/2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Fraggle145;3397545]We will also have the best wins. And that isnt close either.

BTW the Hilltoppers scored more than your amazing SEC offense on LSU. Just sayin'...[/QUOT

Not close? We beat 6th ranked Arkie 38-14--I think that counts for something. Even if you're right then your horrible loss cancels out any strength based on wins--and that's based on the ASSUMPTION that you beat the pokes. TT losing--and the WAY they have lost--has really hurt you guys. Bama lost to the no. 1 team by 3 pts and and played them even for 60 minutes. Oregon lost to them also, but by 13.

Yea, we only scored 6 pts against the best team in the country, but at least we didn't lose to a 29 pt, unranked underdog--at home and carrying a 39 game home winning streak....just sayin';-)

The team's whole body of work--not just quality wins OR tough losses--is what counts. You will need outside help.

kevpks
11/13/2011, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Fraggle145;3397545]We will also have the best wins. And that isnt close either.

BTW the Hilltoppers scored more than your amazing SEC offense on LSU. Just sayin'...[/QUOT

Not close? We beat 6th ranked Arkie 38-14--I think that counts for something. Even if you're right then your horrible loss cancels out any strength based on wins--and that's based on the ASSUMPTION that you beat the pokes. TT losing--and the WAY they have lost--has really hurt you guys. Bama lost to the no. 1 team by 3 pts and and played them even for 60 minutes. Oregon lost to them also, but by 13.

Yea, we only scored 6 pts against the best team in the country, but at least we didn't lose to a 29 pt, unranked underdog--at home and carrying a 39 game home winning streak....just sayin';-)

The team's whole body of work--not just quality wins OR tough losses--is what counts. You will need outside help.

You don't think not playing during championship week won't hurt you guys? I thin that will have a big influence on things. OU has a chance to win their way into the game by knocking off the number 2 team in the country. Bama has a chance to back into the title game while not playing and will have us to thank for it. I think the former is more likely. By the way, of course we are assuming we beat OSU. That is the whole point of the freakin' thread, so why the caps to emphasize it?

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2011, 09:44 PM

You guys lost to the Hat and LSU. That's the worst loss of all (emotionally). The only team I hate losing to worse would be USC.
Sabanball, I've been putting up with your pot stirring all year assuming you guys would deny LSU home field in the title games. Now scat!. ;)

Lott's Bandana
11/13/2011, 09:53 PM
A team that doesn't win their division or their conference should get to play the team that did once again for an opportunity to claim another NC?

That would severely impact my love and interest in this sport. A love and interest that has been sorely tested already this year.

Fraggle145
11/13/2011, 10:19 PM
We will also have the best wins. And that isnt close either.

BTW the Hilltoppers scored more than your amazing SEC offense on LSU. Just sayin'...

I think the more and more TTech goes down in flames the more it makes that loss look like an aberration and a fluke. Like something else was going on and/or we were just having a really off game.

I mean it is fairly obvious most of the voters already think that it is a fluke or we wouldnt still be #5 and ahead of Arkansas and Stanford (and up until last week ahead of Oregon), both of which have lost to better teams than Texas Tech.

If LSU is still undefeated at years end and we have beaten the pokes I think the anti-rematch idea will be in full swing.

On top of that, which one you or UO should get a rematch? You lost at home. Late in the season. In about the most boring game of the year. UO lost at a neutral site, during the first week. So between you two I think they would get the nod.

But I doubt the voters will go for a rematch. If they didnt for tOSU/Mich a few years ago they arent going to now. And ever since we ruined it for anyone who hasnt won a conference title (in '03) they havent let anyone in that hasnt won their conference (i.e., UGA a few years ago). So there's two strikes against you if LSU wins out. I just dont see any of the voters putting in two teams from the same conference. That is what a conference championship is for...

Now if LSU loses that probably favors us the least and we might need an UO loss. Arky would be in the mix, but it would still probably be SEC title winner (unless this is UGA) and either us or UO.But if we beat the pokes we still have the big win later than UO and that usually favors the person with the latest big win. If UGA wins the SEC its probably us vs. UO for all of the marbles.

StoopTroup
11/13/2011, 10:34 PM
All these experts keep throwing out this statement of "Needing outside Help"....lol

Everyone needs outside help. ROTFLMAO

Nobody in America thinks Bama's loss was a fluke. I'll take a Fluke over losing to Less Smiles.

An Arkansas Win in Baton Rouge means Bama needs some outside help.

MamaMia
11/13/2011, 11:30 PM
Oregon has to lose again. It could be to either USC or in their conference championship game.

Alabama has to lose another game or maybe it would be helpful if they look real bad if they win against Auburn

If would be helpful if LSU loses to Arkansas or looks bad in winning and they will probably play Georgia in the conference championship game. If so, it would be great if Georgia would upset them.

Houston is still undefeated. Its anybodies guess what the voters will do about that.

I do not want to play LSU in the Sugar Bowl so I sure do hope Georgia gets a shot at them and causes an upset. That game, if it happens, would be played in Georgia. If South Carolina ends up playing in the CCG, then LSU will annihilate them by the half.

Damn! Why oh why do we choke every year against some no nothing team, putting ourselves in this pickle? Its been over a decade since we won a National Championship game.

IronHorseSooner
11/13/2011, 11:35 PM
If people pulled their heads out (I'm talking to you voters), this choice is pretty dang easy, and it should be us for about 8-9 reasons just off the top of my head. Did they take score in the losses by 'Bama and Oregon? By some of the comments made by the Mickey Mouse Club (aka ESPiN), you would think that those games were never played.

BlownGP
11/13/2011, 11:40 PM
I think the more and more TTech goes down in flames the more it makes that loss look like an aberration and a fluke. Like something else was going on and/or we were just having a really off game.

I mean it is fairly obvious most of the voters already think that it is a fluke or we wouldnt still be #5 and ahead of Arkansas and Stanford (and up until last week ahead of Oregon), both of which have lost to better teams than Texas Tech.

If LSU is still undefeated at years end and we have beaten the pokes I think the anti-rematch idea will be in full swing.

On top of that, which one you or UO should get a rematch? You lost at home. Late in the season. In about the most boring game of the year. UO lost at a neutral site, during the first week. So between you two I think they would get the nod.

But I doubt the voters will go for a rematch. If they didnt for tOSU/Mich a few years ago they arent going to now. And ever since we ruined it for anyone who hasnt won a conference title (in '03) they havent let anyone in that hasnt won their conference (i.e., UGA a few years ago). So there's two strikes against you if LSU wins out. I just dont see any of the voters putting in two teams from the same conference. That is what a conference championship is for...

Now if LSU loses that probably favors us the least and we might need an UO loss. Arky would be in the mix, but it would still probably be SEC title winner (unless this is UGA) and either us or UO.But if we beat the pokes we still have the big win later than UO and that usually favors the person with the latest big win. If UGA wins the SEC its probably us vs. UO for all of the marbles.

Im tired to explain that to a bama fan on a car forum im on.... They just dont get. No one wants a re-match..

delhalew
11/13/2011, 11:58 PM
If Bama makes it over us, assuming we win out, then you can forget about college football. Start watching womens volleyball instead. Those little shorts are the ****!

LRoss
11/14/2011, 12:58 AM

You can be sorry, and you can disagree.

Jerry Palm thinks it's OU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

soonercastor
11/14/2011, 01:42 AM
Most knowledgeable analyst have OU in the MNC if OU beats OK State. They keep spouting we have the worst loss, and forget about the whole body of work. Heck even with that worst loss, and Oregon already having played their toughest opponent we're tied with them in the computers. We WILL be the first team out of the three in the computers, NO DOUBT. We will split human voters, but in the end the fraction of voters that DO NOT want to see a REMATCH will be higher than the one that don't mind a rematch; and Oregon and Bama will SPLIT those voters that want to see rematch giving each even less votes. Finally Bama will nto be playing on the final week, Oregon will be playing a lesser opponent while Bedlam will be the talk of the week. Watch where Florida and LSU came from in 2006 and 2007 respectively to appear in the final 2. We're right where we want to be.

soonercastor
11/14/2011, 01:43 AM
The ONLY concern I have is voters making a big deal out of Broyles and Whaley being out (which I do not underestimate), and some voters might hold that against us. Otherwise I'm pretty confident that we'd be in if we win out.

Kadosh
11/14/2011, 02:24 AM
As a side thread hijack - it shows how dumb the experts/analysts are using phrases like 'control their own destiny'. Destiny can't be controlled. It's destiny! It's going to happen no matter what you do. You're destined to have a case of the s**ts after eating something that your stomach didn't like...no controlling that.

</rant>

IronHorseSooner
11/14/2011, 08:02 AM
The ONLY concern I have is voters making a big deal out of Broyles and Whaley being out (which I do not underestimate), and some voters might hold that against us. Otherwise I'm pretty confident that we'd be in if we win out.

However, we did beat KSU and A&M w/o Dom (and by beat, I mean @$$-stomp). Some voters might be holding out to see how we play against Baylor. if they see a focused, clicking machine like they did against KSU and A&M, then I pray that they think more like Jerry Palm instead of Brad Edwards.

Which this is a bit of digression, but look at the differences between Palm and Edwards, but they are both educated and experienced statisticians. One (Edwards) states that OU can't jump 'Bama, but Palm thinks enough to make it a lock.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2011, 08:03 AM

The ONLY concern I have about Broyles and Whaley being out is Broyles and Whaley being out. The voters will vote what they see happen on the field.

Iam4OUru
11/14/2011, 10:17 AM
Bammer's SOS will get raped the next two weeks. While an Ar-Kansas upset of LSU would strengthen their SOS.....it could be the final nail in their coffin as far as a national title.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 10:22 AM
Bammer's SOS will get raped the next two weeks. While an Ar-Kansas upset of LSU would strengthen their SOS.....it could be the final nail in their coffin as far as a national title.
If Arkansas beats LSU then you can probably put a nail in our coffin....
Even the local media wasn't giving us much of a chance to pass Bama. But I ruled anything Dean said out because he said "I thought OU would have a better chance until watching the BCS countdown show..." Good job there Dean...I could be a sports person. All you have to do is reguritate what espn says...

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:02 AM
If Arkansas beats LSU then you can probably put a nail in our coffin....
Even the local media wasn't giving us much of a chance to pass Bama. But I ruled anything Dean said out because he said "I thought OU would have a better chance until watching the BCS countdown show..." Good job there Dean...I could be a sports person. All you have to do is reguritate what espn says...

If Arky beats LSU, they put Bama in the SEC championship. Then the SEC winner or Oregon will play the winner of the Big 12 for all the marbles. Trust me. It's a lock.

Sco
11/14/2011, 11:06 AM

But even with that - if we win out and beat OSU by a comfortable margin WITHOUT the NCAA career leader in receptions... that shows quite a bit about how good OU is. I think it would actually help us more than it'd hurt us.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:07 AM
If Arky beats LSU, they put Bama in the SEC championship. Then the SEC winner or Oregon will play the winner of the Big 12 for all the marbles. Trust me. It's a lock.

SEC takes head to head of two highest ranking teams....What if Arky snuck into the CCG?

Edit: So lets say Arky beats LSU what does the top 6 look like after that?

1. OSU
2.Bama?
3. Arkansas?
4. LSU
5. Oregon
6. Oklahoma?

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:10 AM
If it looks like that Bama goes...I think Arky beating LSU will **** things up more than most people know. That throws the whole rematch bs out of the question....

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:29 AM
I told you to trust me:D. If Arky beats LSU, the bayou butt****s will likely drop below Bama (which is f'd up), then Bama owns the head to head.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:34 AM
I told you to trust me:D. If Arky beats LSU, the bayou butt****s will likely drop below Bama (which is f'd up), then Bama owns the head to head.

What if the top 6 looked like this after a blowout win by Arkansas...

1.OSU
2. Arky
3. Bama
4. LSU
5 and 6. OU/UO

That means Arky goes to the CCG and then we would have to jump both LSU and Bama. I'm ruling Oregon out of most of this because I don't think there is any way for them to get in...

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:35 AM
If it looks like that Bama goes...I think Arky beating LSU will **** things up more than most people know. That throws the whole rematch bs out of the question....

In that case the voters will go winner of the Big 12 vs Oregon (if they win out). If Oregon doesn't win the PAC, it will be the Big 12 vs winner of SEC(unless Georgia wins).

In any case the Big 12 winner is in...unless we or little brother drop a game before Dec 3rd.

I'm in the BCS's head, making sweet love to it's brain.

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:38 AM
What if the top 6 looked like this after a blowout win by Arkansas...

1.OSU
2. Arky
3. Bama
4. LSU
5 and 6. OU/UO

That means Arky goes to the CCG and then we would have to jump both LSU and Bama. I'm ruling Oregon out of most of this because I don't think there is any way for them to get in...

Then Bama makes the big game if they beat Georgia, vs the Big 12 winner.

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:38 AM
In that case the voters will go winner of the Big 12 vs Oregon (if they win out). If Oregon doesn't win the PAC, it will be the Big 12 vs winner of SEC(unless Georgia wins).

In any case the Big 12 winner is in...unless we or little brother drop a game before Dec 3rd.

I'm in the BCS's head, making sweet love to it's brain.

Honestly I was more confident of this the week after the Tech game where all this started to fall into place. I'm not so sure now the way a lot of espin heads are talking. Still more possible than the 10% Dean gave us on the sports blitz, but I'd say 75% if we win out we're in...

jumperstop
11/14/2011, 11:39 AM
Then Bama makes the big game if they beat Georgia, vs the Big 12 winner.
Duh...head to head...
And honestly there is no way Arky would jump that far after beating LSU...They would have to beat them BAD for them to go that far up and at that point they drop LSU to low for them to win the head to head....

delhalew
11/14/2011, 11:41 AM
Honestly I was more confident of this the week after the Tech game where all this started to fall into place. I'm not so sure now the way a lot of espin heads are talking. Still more possible than the 10% Dean gave us on the sports blitz, but I'd say 75% if we win out we're in...

You will see a big change in the narrative on Dec 3rd.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/14/2011, 01:20 PM

Actually, the one given in the bcs formula is that if OU wins out, we will be above both Oregon and bammer in the computers. That means we only have to split the human vote. On Dec 3, we are playing the No 2 team in the country on the road while your guys are sitting on their asses.

You guys need it to be about the one loss not the entire body of work if we win out. There's a good chance that we have wins over 4 teams in the final top 20 poll.

Still think you're such a shoe in there skippy?

BigTip
11/14/2011, 01:24 PM
What makes me laugh is you just know that Arky, Clemson, Oregon, and 'bama all have threads just like this going on.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2011, 01:32 PM
What makes me laugh is you just know that Arky, Clemson, Oregon, and 'bama all have threads just like this going on.

^This. And so many of them will be temporary OU fans on 12/02.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 02:22 PM
So, OU "controls it's own destiny" but needs other stuff to happen..

NormanPride
11/14/2011, 02:28 PM
Like beating Baylor, ISU and OSU.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2011, 02:40 PM
Controlling your own destiny sounds so dumb...

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2011, 04:16 PM
I've tried to control my destiny in the Lotto. I've bought a few tickets - what else must I do?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/14/2011, 04:25 PM
Controlling your own destiny sounds so dumb...

I am your density.

SoonerAtKU
11/14/2011, 08:06 PM
Controlling your density would be a sneaky-good super power. You could fly, become invulnerable to injury.

I'm in.

8timechamps
11/14/2011, 08:11 PM

Oregon:

'Bama:

OU:

Not just because I'm a homer, but this is the most convincing argument out there. That said, the BCS is a horrid system, that makes the rules up as they go along.

Lott's Bandana
11/14/2011, 08:27 PM
The ACC has a CCG right?

FSU could end up as champ, playing Clemson again?

I don't wanna GIS this, dinnertime.

BigTip
11/14/2011, 08:45 PM
I am your density.

Whoaa dude! That's heavy man.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2011, 07:51 AM
LSU won at Alabama and will continue to win, so have proven they are the better team of the season and not just that particular day. Texas Tech won at Oklahoma, but has lost 3 games since that time, proving they were only better than Oklahoma on that particular day and not the better team of the season. Hence, Alabama's loss to LSU is worse than Oklahoma's loss to Texas Tech because Alabama was beaten by a better team of the season while Oklahoma was not.

SoonerAtKU
11/15/2011, 08:29 AM
Anyone who can say a loss to Tech is in any way "better" than a loss to the #1 team in the country is working way too hard to justify something.

Look, the Tech loss was a bad thing, and objectively so. The good thing is that it happened relatively early, and in a game that nobody got to see. The damage is done, and OU's dropped as far as they're going to in the polls. Bama has to play an FCS school, and Oregon plays a PAC 12 CG against (most likely) a team they've already beaten, which doesn't help them.

EatLeadCommie
11/15/2011, 09:15 AM
The ACC has a CCG right?

FSU could end up as champ, playing Clemson again?

I don't wanna GIS this, dinnertime.
FSU and Clemson are in the same division.

Lott's Bandana
11/15/2011, 12:15 PM
FSU and Clemson are in the same division.

Well...

pooh.

tooslow
11/15/2011, 03:50 PM
If we manage to knock off OSU and finish with 1 loss, alongside Bama and the Quacks, everyone will have a valid argument. What's funny is that each team would give the same argument as to why they deserved to play over the other team, if the roles were switched. If Bama got beat by Vanderbilt, at home, and we lost to the #1 team by 3 points at home, you better believe we would be crying foul over how a team that lost to a sucky team even deserves to be in the picture. Likewise, Bama would say that we had our shot, at home, and lost. So no need for a rematch. Let another team have a shot. It's normal fan behavior. EVERY fan will give a reason why their team deserves to play in the MNC game. Opposing fans will give a reason why "XYZ" team doesn't deserve to. The only fans that are right will be the fans of 2 major teams that are undefeated. Aside from that, only a playoff could determine who is more deserving when there are more than 2 major teams with 0 losses, or multiple 1 loss teams, etc.

That being said, I do not think we need to worry about it. Every damn year I've played the, "What if this happens game," and it just about never turns out right. The truth is it is VERY hard to play for a MNC. We've had more than a fair share of chances lately, and I'm afraid this is not the year to get another one. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I do not think we have a Championship caliber defense.

jumperstop
11/15/2011, 04:29 PM
^This. And so many of them will be temporary OU fans on 12/02.

And they are going to be so pissed when they rooted too hard and we end up ahead of them...

htownsooner7
11/15/2011, 04:51 PM
That is what was so funny about 2008. The horns desperately needed us to beat Tech to have any chance, but by the time we were doing the jump around and up by 40, they were saying to themselves, "oh s*it."

vtsooner21
11/15/2011, 04:52 PM
One game at a time; one game at a time...The next game is the most important..

Boomer