PDA

View Full Version : What if

PalmettoSooner
11/11/2011, 11:21 AM
I know there is a lot of football left to be played and as we all know, considering how this season has gone so far, what are our chances if: Stanford and BSU lost this weekend and we win our remaining games...is it possible for us to jump Bama?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/11/2011, 11:24 AM
No.

Next question.

JLEW1818
11/11/2011, 11:29 AM
Miss St with the upset this weekend?

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2011, 11:29 AM
our loss to a sub .500 tt team...bama lost to #1 lsu...ummm no.

htownsooner7
11/11/2011, 11:36 AM
I think the answer is 'not yet.' With wins over a ranked Baylor and a second ranked OSU, I believe we jump Bama in the end.

PalmettoSooner
11/11/2011, 11:43 AM
I think the answer is 'not yet.' With wins over a ranked Baylor and a second ranked OSU, I believe we jump Bama in the end.

I was thinking the same thing.

pappy
11/11/2011, 11:55 AM
Doubt it.

Penguin
11/11/2011, 12:20 PM
Alabama with one loss is still ahead of an undefeated Stanford and an undefeated BSU. OU is not going to play for the BCS Championship. Accept it.

IronHorseSooner
11/11/2011, 12:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

This is the conventional thinking. 'Bama wouldn't have even won their own division of their conference. Our overall resume in the end would be better than others' who are in contention:

1. Winner of the BCS-ranked #1 conference
2. 4 road wins against teams ranked in the Top 10 who were undefeated when we beat them
3. Would have just beaten the #2 team on the road- some voters will think that is enough to compete/beat LSU
4. Would have beaten seven teams who were ranked at one time this season (FSU, Mizzou, *, KSU, A&M, BU, OSU), and that is not counting Tulsa and Ball State who are still in contention to win their conferences
5. The only team we have played/will play this season who is out of bowl contention is KU
6. We would be the best choice for the anti-rematch/anti-SEC/anti-non AQ voters
7. Our loss was a fluke- three top defensive starters out and a 1:45 delay, and we still had a chance to win

Those are seven darn good arguments, and that is why we would have the best body of work (outside of LSU).

rainiersooner
11/11/2011, 12:35 PM
Let me put it to you this way - if you were a voter in either poll, would you sincerely vote OU over Alabama? I would love for us to play in the championship game, and I think we're a good team, but I think Alabama is a better team.

rainiersooner
11/11/2011, 12:39 PM
This is the conventional thinking. 'Bama wouldn't have even won their own division of their conference. Our overall resume in the end would be better than others' who are in contention:

2. 4 road wins against teams ranked in the Top 10 who were undefeated when we beat them
3. Would have just beaten the #2 team on the road- some voters will think that is enough to compete/beat LSU
4. Would have beaten seven teams who were ranked at one time this season (FSU, Mizzou, *, KSU, A&M, BU, OSU), and that is not counting Tulsa and Ball State who are still in contention to win their conferences
5. The only team we have played/will play this season who is out of bowl contention is KU
7. Our loss was a fluke- three top defensive starters out and a 1:45 delay, and we still had a chance to win

Those are seven darn good arguments, and that is why we would have the best body of work (outside of LSU).

I just read this after posting my last comment...when you put it that way, it is a compelling argument. I guess it would come down to this - would our win on the road against the #2 team in the country mitigate the TT loss? Because if we beat the Pokes, who are a very good team, then we will have to play some very good ball. Good enough to deserve the #2 spot? Hmmm, I'm torn.

soonertravis
11/11/2011, 12:48 PM
Better question: Who plays if LSU loses to Arkansas? Everyone angling for a rematch already with a lot of football to play spells upset to me.

IronHorseSooner
11/11/2011, 12:55 PM
Better question: Who plays if LSU loses to Arkansas? Everyone angling for a rematch already with a lot of football to play spells upset to me.

In my mind, LSU still has the best resume (Oregon, WVU, and 'Bama wins) compared to 'Bama and Arky. LSU would need to drop below Arky to be out of contention, as the SEC uses the BCS to determine the top 2 teams, then they use H2H. Another train-wreck scenario would have UGA winning the SEC. Whereas that could eliminate the SEC from contention, it would put BSU back in play as they would have beaten the SEC champ. In either scenario, the bottom line is that I like our chances to get there as long as Stanford loses.

westbrooke
11/11/2011, 01:10 PM

This is the thing I keep thinking about, and it definitely works in our favor. Voters have shown in the past a willingness to rearrange the polls before the final BCS rankings to avoid or to engineer certain outcomes, including to eschew rematches. That could potentially torpedo Bama and Oregon for us, assuming LSU remains undefeated. The bottom line for us is to win out and put this decision in the voters' hands. It's the only thing we can do.

Sco
11/11/2011, 01:39 PM
I think so. Bama won't play in the SEC Champ game, which hurts them. We'll be playing OSU on the champ weekend. Might be enough to sway the voters.

primetime43
11/11/2011, 02:23 PM
If Stanford loses and we win out we will jump Bama and Boise. You can't put bama in the national title game not even winning their own division.

soonercoop1
11/11/2011, 02:37 PM
See the loss to Tech...OU never passes Bama this season unless Bama loses again...

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2011, 02:37 PM

understand....but who were the 4 teams we beat on the road?
FSU
KSU
OSU
? the 4th ?

IronHorseSooner
11/11/2011, 02:40 PM
understand....but who were the 4 teams we beat on the road?
FSU
KSU
OSU
? the 4th ?

How could you forget about *?

See the loss to Tech...OU never passes Bama this season unless Bama loses again...

Even some SEC homers like Gary Danielson have stated in the past that if a team does not win its own conference that it should not play for it all. See Michigan 2006. A lot of folks thought that UM was better than FLA, but the voters didn't want a rematch. FLA proved them all wrong. Rematches and conference championships do mean a lot to voters. Besides, 'Bama's two best wins are over a PSU program that is in shambles now, and an Arky team that will either loses to LSU or cause a three-way-tie which will cause a Gordian Knot.

soonercastor
11/11/2011, 03:13 PM
you guys are crazy if you think they will let a rematch happen. All e need to happen is Stanford to lose.

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2011, 03:35 PM
How could you forget about *?

Even some SEC homers like Gary Danielson have stated in the past that if a team does not win its own conference that it should not play for it all. See Michigan 2006. A lot of folks thought that UM was better than FLA, but the voters didn't want a rematch. FLA proved them all wrong. Rematches and conference championships do mean a lot to voters. Besides, 'Bama's two best wins are over a PSU program that is in shambles now, and an Arky team that will either loses to LSU or cause a three-way-tie which will cause a Gordian Knot.

my bad...I guess that being a "neutral" field I don't consider it a "road game"....that's just me...

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2011, 03:36 PM
Even some SEC homers like Gary Danielson have stated in the past that if a team does not win its own conference that it should not play for it all.

we lost to ksu and still played....I'm dumb...do we have 2 trophies? Conf and then Conf Champ Game?

StoopTroup
11/11/2011, 04:04 PM
Alabama with one loss is still ahead of an undefeated Stanford and an undefeated BSU. OU is not going to play for the BCS Championship. Accept it.

It ain't over till it's over.

Even the Fat Pregnant Penguin knows that.

soonermix
11/11/2011, 04:21 PM
ok so what if alabama, ok st, lsu, boise, stanford, oregon, the entire big 10, every junior college south of the mason dixon line, the 1977 dolphins, and the Russian National Hockey Team all lose this weekend?

Sco
11/11/2011, 05:14 PM

See Florida 2008 - Lost to unranked Mississippi, still went to the National Championship game.

8timechamps
11/11/2011, 06:18 PM
There is no possibility we jump Bama this week for sure, but I don't think that was the question. As for jumping them over the course of the next few weeks, it's possible. The thing about the human voters is that they operate on the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. So, as long as OSU doesn't screw it up by losing before we play, and assuming we beat them, I think we jump Bama. Plus, even a struggle by Bama may be enough to push us past them.

All of that being said, I know the odds of us playing in the title game are not great. Maybe, if we don't get a shot at the title, and we win out, we can get a match-up with Bama. That would be a great game.l

Dan Thompson
11/11/2011, 06:24 PM
I sure would be suprised and p*** off if we beat the #2 team at home and don't get into the MNC game.

MeMyself&Me
11/11/2011, 09:45 PM
The human voters as a whole are going to have a hard time putting 'bama at #2 so long as LSU is #1 because too many don't want rematches and too many don't want teams that didn't win their conference in the national title game. So long as LSU is #1 or #2 and there are other viable teams not named 'bama then voters will adjust their votes as necessary to keep 'bama from playing LSU again... well enough voters will do that such that it matters, particularly since OU will have the best computer ranking of the one-loss teams. Does that mean OU will jump 'bama, well it certainly means it could happen if other teams are eliminated. Need Stanford and Boise State to lose to eliminate the other viable options. OSU would be eliminated on its last game of the year by OU if OU won out and Oregon is in a little bit of the same boat as 'bama in the rematch department.

StoopTroup
11/11/2011, 11:26 PM
you guys are crazy if you think they will let a rematch happen. All e need to happen is Stanford to lose.

oSu loses to KSU then Oregon beats Stanford and then Oregon gets to play LSU for a Re-match?

SoonerMarkVA
11/11/2011, 11:32 PM
I think if we win out, and Stanford falls, we have the inside track to #2. But we have to put on a solid victory over OSU, and then see where the chips fall between us and Oregon. I do not believe with the voters there is any desire for a rematch, fair or not. I think, in this scenario, they would decide between us and Oregon, and the computers after beating OSU would put us in the driver's seat.

I still can't believe we lost to hapless Tech--at home. It's not as ridiculous as losing to OSU in 2001, but it's definitely in the ballpark.

8timechamps
11/12/2011, 12:46 AM
I think if we win out, and Stanford falls, we have the inside track to #2. But we have to put on a solid victory over OSU, and then see where the chips fall between us and Oregon. I do not believe with the voters there is any desire for a rematch, fair or not. I think, in this scenario, they would decide between us and Oregon, and the computers after beating OSU would put us in the driver's seat.

I still can't believe we lost to hapless Tech--at home. It's not as ridiculous as losing to OSU in 2001, but it's definitely in the ballpark.

It may not be as bad as losing to the Pokes in '01, but it's really, really close.

The more Tech plays, and loses, the more people realize that Tech didn't beat us as much as we didn't show up. I still think we lost about as late as you can lose in the season, and still have a shot at the title. I also agree that we should be able to beat out Oregon (assuming both win out) because the computers would favor our win over OSU late in the year (especially if OSU is still #1 in the computer polls). It's going to get interesting.

Jacie
11/12/2011, 07:04 AM
1. Voters have short memories.

2. OUr loss looms bigger in OUr minds than theirs.

3. While the number of permutations is now almost manageable, everyone still has three regular season games remaining (to be played over the next four weeks) plus conference championship games for the anointed few. What all that means is that with the right teams being upset 'tween now and then, it is actually possible (no matter how improbable) that Pedo State could be playing for the MNC . . .

4. So, Oklahoma's chances of being there are quite good since it requires fewer than a handful of games going a certain way for it to happen.

soonercoop1
11/12/2011, 07:52 AM
See Florida 2008 - Lost to unranked Mississippi, still went to the National Championship game.

Florida is in the SEC and again OU will never pass Bama unless Bama loses again regardless of what the other teams do as long as LSU is unbeaten...

IronHorseSooner
11/12/2011, 09:41 AM
we lost to ksu and still played....I'm dumb...do we have 2 trophies? Conf and then Conf Champ Game?

Nope, but his argument is that if you didn't win your own division (aka Neb 2001) or your conference (us in 2003), you shouldn't play for the BCS MNC. In fact he made that argument a few weeks back.

merciles
11/12/2011, 09:45 AM
I know there is a lot of football left to be played and as we all know, considering how this season has gone so far, what are our chances if: Stanford and BSU lost this weekend and we win our remaining games...is it possible for us to jump Bama?

I'm more worried about that giant asteroid suddenly reversing course and smashing into earth

FtwTxSooner
11/12/2011, 09:47 AM
Votes have changed on the last weekend for nothing other than to avoid a BCS NCG rematch

MeMyself&Me
11/12/2011, 10:29 AM
Votes have changed on the last weekend for nothing other than to avoid a BCS NCG rematch

Yes. And it will happen again as long as there are reasonable alternatives. We want all the other reasonable alternatives to become unreasonable. Stanford must lose and probably (but not definitely) Boise State as well. After that, OU starts looking like the best alternative despite its ugly loss.

Also important to note is that OU doesn't need a large shift in human votes to make it happen. Just a small shift. OU is going to lead the other options in the computers if Stanford loses and OU wins out.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/12/2011, 11:25 AM
copy & past from a few days ago

This is not your ordinary #6 Oklahoma vs #20 Oklahoma State Bedlam game. Of course, what HAS to happen is Stanford has to lose. Whether it be to Oregon today or in the Pac12 CCG (which is played the Friday night before Bedlam). By game time, we will know if it's us or Stanford. If they win out, we're just playing to knock OSU out of the NCG. Also, both Oklahoma State and OU must win out. Duh.

You think ESPN hyped the LSU Bama game? You won't be able to stand watching the coverage leading up to bedlam. ESPN/ABC has rights to the game. CBS had rights to the LSU/Alabama game. It will probably be the first ever sell out of OSU's new stadium.
-Pac12 CCG is on a Friday night=less exposure. DUMB.
-Alabama will be sitting at home watching after Nov 26th.

Also, Alabama is benefiting from an 8-1 Penn State right now. They are the WORST 1-loss team in the nation.

They have beaten: Indiana State, @Temple, Eastern Michigan, @Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, @Northwestern, and Illinois. There are ZERO quality wins in that group and some close games.

Coming up they play: Nebraska (L), @Ohio State (L), @Wisconsin (R for raping.. oh wait, in light of the situation at Penn State I probably shouldn't say that)

We win out & Stanford loses, we're in.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/12/2011, 11:58 AM
if stanford loses and we win out...we will play in the MNC game.