PDA

View Full Version : So Got My Son Applied to OU Last night

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2011, 10:03 PM
I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed by all the info out there for prospective college students; Conner really wants to go to OU, but i flat out don't know if we can afford the approx 17K a year tab; we are starting the process of applying for scholarships obviously, but even though we are far from wealthy our income level is really going to hurt us in getting any kind of government grants; we make too much to qualify for OHLAP but with his grades and ACT scores we should be able to get some sort of scholarships; if anyone can point me in a good direction i would sure appreciate it. We are going to be talking to his HS counselor and from what i have heard she is really good at helping kids out(this is her first year at Henryetta)

John

StoopTroup
11/10/2011, 10:07 PM
Sell off any vehicles you have loans on and buy a used vehicle to replace it. Go back to basic cable and if your son isn't willing to get a part-time job to help you put him through school go and admit him to TCC. Have him get a full time job and save up the first 17,000 on his own and them agree to help him with the 2nd year once you see how serious he is about School.

You can also get him to join the service.

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2011, 10:08 PM
Sorry can someone move this to the south oval? Thanks.

Serge Ibaka
11/10/2011, 10:14 PM
I had darn-good high school credentials, and OU basically gave me squat (began in Norman during Fall 2006). It's to be expected: OU ships a lot of scholarship $$$ out of state. I wasn't darn-good enough to stand out.

I probably should have gone to Oklahoma State--I would have made more in scholarships than I would have actually spent (I came out of OU with pretty decent debt, and that is despite the OHLAP monies that I received).

But maybe its worth the college-debt to NOT have had to go to Oklahoma State. It might be something for your family to at least investigate though (if your boy can handle Orange); they're a lot kinder to the Oklahoma-kids.

Okrunman
11/10/2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.clarkhoward.com/education-resources/

yermom
11/10/2011, 10:31 PM
i'm not sure i'd ever suggest someone joining the service, but if i think i'd go the ROTC route before just enlisting first...

i worked on campus and was able to schedule around classes. of course, i also ended up quitting school for a while to just work there, so maybe that's not the best route either :biggrin:

i worked in the IT department, so i was gaining meaningful experience and skills, so it wasn't so bad.

only like $8k of that is actual tuition, most of the rest is room and board. starting somewhere like TCC where they can live at home, is not a bad option if money is tight. the classes are considerably easier though, which can be good or bad.

soonergirlNeugene
11/10/2011, 10:42 PM
I went the juco route before transferring to finish my bachelor's. Was able to get a full ride for 2 years at the juco and then b/c I got my associate's I didn't have to worry about general requirement courses despite the fact that the gen ed requirements at the juco were less demanding. I wound up saving a lot of money and it didn't hurt me when it came time to getting into law school after I finished my bachelor's. Wound up getting a scholarship for that too, so I recommend the juco route to anyone struggling to pay undergrad tuition at a 4 year university. It may not be glamorous, but at the end of his 4 years, he'll have the same bachelor's degree as anyone else and he'll have saved a lot of time and money by taking that route.

Eielson
11/10/2011, 10:44 PM
Just to warn you, you probably won't get too terribly much for ACT and grades. Assuming you're not National Merit or a Regents Scholar (or whatever it's called), $2,000 a year is pretty much the max you'll get for your test scores, and you need like a 3.75 and a 28+ on your ACT for that. You'll need other things (extracurricular mainly) to start bringing in the big money. You can always look into OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) to save some money. It's SOOOOOO much cheaper per credit hour, and most OU students will take at least a few classes there at some point. Most upperclassmen that have to pay any of their school end up wishing that they had started out at a OCCC. The only real downfall of OCCC is the student experience. That's not an issue, though, if you're taking classes at OU and OCCC, or even possibly taking all your classes at OCCC but living in Norman and getting involved in some things there.

Aries
11/10/2011, 10:55 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I thought if he did not live with you, even if in a dorm, your income was not considered in terms of financial aid?

And... you need to fill out a FAFSA application, if you haven't already. Best I remember, it will tell you under what conditions your income has to be declared, or if he is considered independent for purposes of financial aid. It's been a while since I filled one out, though...

I think talking to the guidance counselor is a great place to start. Good luck!

SoonerMom2
11/10/2011, 11:01 PM
FAFSA is correct. We didn't qualify for subsidized loans but most people can get unsubsidized loans which means that the loan interest is added on not paid for like subsidized. Talk to a counselor. FAFSA can be done based on your income tax return after 1 January. For undergrad, our income counted for my son even when he lived in an apartment.

Sooner5030
11/10/2011, 11:04 PM
dam....that stuff is getting expensive. In my day it was about $100 per credit hour. Back then the racket was paying to live in the dorms for 2 x semesters (mcCaslan or something or one of the towers). Can my son live with me if we live in driving distance or do you still have to live in the dorms your freshman year?

I do not miss some jackass turning on the fire alarm at 6:00 AM on Sunday in January.

8timechamps
11/10/2011, 11:22 PM
If you haven't already, check out this site:

Click Me (http://www.findtuition.com/)

Although I live in Colorado, I have a contact at the state college savings plan (529 plan), I've heard he talk about that site. Hope it helps a little.

badger
11/10/2011, 11:42 PM
One place to start:

http://scholarships.ou.edu/

You eyes probably went to "Sooner Heritage Scholarships" immediately. Keep in mind that unless stuff has changed, you MUST register with FAFSA in order to qualify for SHS.

However, your best bet, sans being the proud parent of a national merit scholar, is to get scholarships locally. Is Connor a registered member of a tribe? They'll likely have a scholarship for Connor. Was he an active student in the community, in school activities or just liked really well by his teachers? There's likely scholarships via your community/high school that he'd have a good crack at.

Several have already suggested the community college route. This cannot be stressed enough. It might be fun to spend four years at OU's Norman campus, but it is significantly less expensive to spend the first two years getting your core credits outta the way before transferring in to a university like OU. You'll get the same degree at the end of the road as all of those that took the four (five...six...seven...eight)-year on-campus route.

The military is also a good way to get around expensive tuition if that is something Connor is willing to commit to. FAFSA will rarely declare students exempt income-wise from their parents when considering how much each family should contribute to the higher ed bill. To my knowledge, military IS cause for exemption!

:mad: I can certainly sympathize with what a money-grabbing racket the higher education game has become, increasing costs ahead of inflation rates and expecting federal loans to cover the increasing costs to keep student indebted for years after graduation. Costs were nowhere near $17k for everything when I started at OU in 2001. If any old coots out there are still crowing "Get a summer job and work yourself through college like I did!" you have all of our permissions to punch some reality into their face.

badger
11/10/2011, 11:45 PM
by the way, if anyone doubts his $17k estimate, check this out:

https://bursar.ou.edu/tuition_fees.cfm

Just under $8k for tuition alone for 30 credits now. Oy.

FirstandGoal
11/11/2011, 12:05 AM
Found myself in a very similar situation a year ago.
My son's dream all along had been to go to OU from the time he was a little kid, but (even as a single mom) I make too much to get any kind of subsidy, and not enough to afford the tuition. He worked very hard to get the required ACT score and got accepted, but the money just wasn't there to send him. In the end, he enrolled at UCO which is only 3 miles from where we live here in Edmond and he lives at home --which just barely lets me afford his tuition. Needless to say, this Christmas is gonna be a frugal one for me and the kids. He has a part-time job and the reason we didn't go for applying for any financial aid for this first year is that while my son is smart, he's not always the most responsible person in the world. I was very worried that he'd not make the transition as well as he has so far.
We still have the rest of this semester and all of the next one for me to be assured that he's gonna be able to handle a full load, part-time job and girlfriend and still go to class and make good grades. I think he'll be able to go to OU next year because this summer he'll have a great job where he can save up loads of $$$$ to pay rent on an apartment provided he finds a couple of dependable roommates. My deal with my son is that I'll cover tuition and books, but he is on his own as far as actual living expenses go.

8timechamps
11/11/2011, 12:14 AM
Found myself in a very similar situation a year ago.
My son's dream all along had been to go to OU from the time he was a little kid, but (even as a single mom) I make too much to get any kind of subsidy, and not enough to afford the tuition. He worked very hard to get the required ACT score and got accepted, but the money just wasn't there to send him. In the end, he enrolled at UCO which is only 3 miles from where we live here in Edmond and he lives at home --which just barely lets me afford his tuition. Needless to say, this Christmas is gonna be a frugal one for me and the kids. He has a part-time job and the reason we didn't go for applying for any financial aid for this first year is that while my son is smart, he's not always the most responsible person in the world. I was very worried that he'd not make the transition as well as he has so far.
We still have the rest of this semester and all of the next one for me to be assured that he's gonna be able to handle a full load, part-time job and girlfriend and still go to class and make good grades. I think he'll be able to go to OU next year because this summer he'll have a great job where he can save up loads of $$$$ to pay rent on an apartment provided he finds a couple of dependable roommates. My deal with my son is that I'll cover tuition and books, but he is on his own as far as actual living expenses go.

Smart mom!

Nothing in the world wrong with UCO. If you and he can figure out a way to get him through school without a mountain of debt, then he'll have a step up on getting started.

SicEmBaylor
11/11/2011, 12:42 AM
I'm opposed to letting him get a job unless he absolutely positively has to in order to help you pay for his school (which is your obligation).

Frozen Sooner
11/11/2011, 02:58 AM
Just to warn you, you probably won't get too terribly much for ACT and grades. Assuming you're not National Merit or a Regents Scholar (or whatever it's called), $2,000 a year is pretty much the max you'll get for your test scores, and you need like a 3.75 and a 28+ on your ACT for that. You'll need other things (extracurricular mainly) to start bringing in the big money. You can always look into OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) to save some money. It's SOOOOOO much cheaper per credit hour, and most OU students will take at least a few classes there at some point. Most upperclassmen that have to pay any of their school end up wishing that they had started out at a OCCC. The only real downfall of OCCC is the student experience. That's not an issue, though, if you're taking classes at OU and OCCC, or even possibly taking all your classes at OCCC but living in Norman and getting involved in some things there.

You need a 3.75 for a national merit scholarship these days? Wow. They've tightened that up a lot.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2011, 07:46 AM
FYI, Conner has a non weighted GPA of 3.86 and made a 28 on his ACT; i think he's going to try one more time to see if he can bring that score up cause he's taken it 3 times and it's went up every time; thanks for all your input

John

badger
11/11/2011, 08:37 AM
<this is NP posting as baj>

The ACT was easy. I made, like, a 52.*

*I did not take the ACT

Just don't let him mortgage his future for an OU education. He's young so it may seem like he's got forever to pay it off, but it's really tough to start a life after school when you've got 100k in student loans built up. I know friends that can't start families yet and they're reaching their 30s...

cleller
11/11/2011, 09:15 AM
FYI, Conner has a non weighted GPA of 3.86 and made a 28 on his ACT; i think he's going to try one more time to see if he can bring that score up cause he's taken it 3 times and it's went up every time; thanks for all your input

John
The ACT route is always good. It really helped us out several years ago. My daughter and son-in-law just graduated from OU two years ago. Both worked part-time for the university, she in the athlete tutoring, he for the OU Foundation. I'll email them to see if they have any tips or people to get in touch with.

Don't forget to investigate the IRS credits for college right now. From my experience as a freshman at OU, stay on his butt the first semester and make him buckle down and study, then push him to work part time. It really helps to drive home the value of time management. Too much time on the hands is worse than too little at that age.

Midtowner
11/11/2011, 09:38 AM
Just on the tuition side of things, regional schools like UCO offer a pretty good bargain. Right now, OU for undergrad tuition + fees is $269/credit hour. UCO is $157.25. Multiply that by 120 hours and that's a decent bit of savings. Also, depending on the major, a place like UCO or NSU or SWOSU might actually have superior facilities and professors.

And some of the larger regional schools (UCO or NSU mainly) have decent campus life. Nothing like OU, but still, for the price, it ain't bad. If he plans on doing grad school, a regional college also makes a lot of sense as he might actually be able to pay for his tuition if he works at it for undergrad, but grad/law/med school is something he'll have to take loans out for unless he wins the lotto.

FirstandGoal
11/11/2011, 09:45 AM
I'm opposed to letting him get a job unless he absolutely positively has to in order to help you pay for his school (which is your obligation).

Please tell me you are not being serious here.

My "obligation" is to raise my children to be morally adept contributing members of society. I also take very seriously the lessons of personal responsibility when it comes to all aspects of life. A big part of that is teaching them that if they really want something in life, they better be prepared to work their asses off for it and not assume that someone is just going to hand it over to them. If I were to win the lottery tomorrow I would still expect any child of mine to have a part time job at the very least.

In the real world, real people have to suck it up and get real jobs to pay their real bills and raise their real families and have a real life. Teaching my children anything other than that would be doing them a great disservice, and quite frankly I love them too much for that.

Midtowner
11/11/2011, 09:50 AM
^Just two different parenting styles. SicEm clearly thinks that part of being a parent is paying the educational expenses of the child. FirstandGoal thinks it's best to raise them right and kick them out of the nest to let them fend for themselves. Neither is superior, just different.

I think every parent would pay for their kid's expenses if they could, but not everyone has the ability to save or spend that much and still pay for the rest of their family's necessities.

I can tell you, if I had parents like SicEm's, I'd be able to contribute a lot more to society instead of repaying my nearly $100K loan from law school.

FirstandGoal
11/11/2011, 09:53 AM
^Just two different parenting styles. SicEm clearly thinks that part of being a parent is paying the educational expenses of the child. FirstandGoal thinks it's best to raise them right and kick them out of the nest to let them fend for themselves. Neither is superior, just different.

I think every parent would pay for their kid's expenses if they could, but not everyone has the ability to save or spend that much and still pay for the rest of their family's necessities.

Not necessarily kicking him out of the nest, but letting him know that if he so chooses to leave the nest, he's gonna have to find his own sticks and **** to build his own nest. :D

Eielson
11/11/2011, 10:51 AM
You need a 3.75 for a national merit scholarship these days? Wow. They've tightened that up a lot.

I meant 3.75 GPA for the $2,000 a year scholarship. I'm not sure what the requirements are for National Merit, but a 3.75 GPA in high school was a piece of cake for most of the ones I've met.

Oldnslo
11/11/2011, 11:01 AM

Please do not presume to tell those of us who are parents what our obligations are to our children. You know exactly dick about having kids and raising them.

Eielson
11/11/2011, 11:04 AM
Not necessarily kicking him out of the nest, but letting him know that if he so chooses to leave the nest, he's gonna have to find his own sticks and **** to build his own nest. :D

Don't worry about defending yourself. It's ridiculous to expect more of a parent than to cover tuition and books. Covering all of somebody's expenses until he's 23 and refusing to let him get a job is not conducive to raising a man anyway.

soonerbrat
11/11/2011, 11:38 AM
Just on the tuition side of things, regional schools like UCO offer a pretty good bargain. Right now, OU for undergrad tuition + fees is $269/credit hour. UCO is $157.25. Multiply that by 120 hours and that's a decent bit of savings. Also, depending on the major, a place like UCO or NSU or SWOSU might actually have superior facilities and professors.

And some of the larger regional schools (UCO or NSU mainly) have decent campus life. Nothing like OU, but still, for the price, it ain't bad. If he plans on doing grad school, a regional college also makes a lot of sense as he might actually be able to pay for his tuition if he works at it for undergrad, but grad/law/med school is something he'll have to take loans out for unless he wins the lotto.

I graduated from UCO and I liked it because the classes were smaller. At OU there were like 500 people in my chem I class..at UCO there were 30. I'm sure it's bigger now, but still.... and I had an actual professor instead of a graduate student.

soonerbrat
11/11/2011, 11:45 AM

oh geez. really? my son had a full scholarship to college and he still worked 4 different part time jobs and graduated Summa Cum Laude. he's not traumatized.

badger
11/11/2011, 11:50 AM

Before you all kill SicEm, he might have meant that in the government's eyes, it is a family obligation before a governmental obligation to pay for higher education. This is why FAFSA makes you tell what your income and assets are in order to qualify (or not qualify) for aid. There's a billion pages and just as many different ways on FAFSA sites saying as much, that parents feelings and principles on the matter does not change the government's: They tell you what they think you ought to pay... and usually don't factor in stuff like other kids, debt, how close you are to retirement age, etc.

Back on the tuition thing --- does Connor know what he wants to major in yet? I remember a classmate having her entire OU nursing degree paid for in exchange for an agreement to work at a specific place for a few years after graduation. What a sweet deal! Free tuition AND guaranteed employment!

StoopTroup
11/11/2011, 12:21 PM

John

Best of luck to Conner. I hope you got all the options you need in order for him to make the best decision for himself and your Family.

Sooner24
11/11/2011, 12:21 PM
When we took my son to enroll him at OU the young girl said we qualified for X amount of money in student loans. I said I didn't want the money and she insisted I did. After several minutes of almost telling me I had to take the money and me explaining I didn't want the money she ask "well just how are do you plan to pay for his college?” to which I responded "we'll just pay as he goes". Thankfully he was able to graduate in 4 years and when he walked across the stage and picked up his diploma we owed not one red cent. The tuition wasn't what cost it was all the fees they tack on and the first year living in the dorms.

His first year I didn't want him to try and work and get adjusted to school but after that he had a job the last three years he was in school.

StoopTroup
11/11/2011, 12:35 PM
Please do not presume to tell those of us who are parents what our obligations are to our children. You know exactly dick about having kids and raising them.

Nice post. I don't think I could have posted that as well as you did.

starclassic tama
11/11/2011, 12:46 PM
depending on what his degree is going to be in, he may not have the time for a job. in that case i would suggest paying for all that i could, and then have him take out loans to cover the rest. if he doesn't have to take out the maximum loans, his debt won't be paralyzing when he gets out

Frozen Sooner
11/11/2011, 12:47 PM
I meant 3.75 GPA for the $2,000 a year scholarship. I'm not sure what the requirements are for National Merit, but a 3.75 GPA in high school was a piece of cake for most of the ones I've met.

Heh. Most of the National Merit Scholars I met at OU (YT included) SHOULD have had no problem with that GPA. Very few of us actually HAD that GPA. ;) Law School's the first time I actually put any effort into schoolwork.

Midtowner
11/11/2011, 01:17 PM
I graduated from UCO and I liked it because the classes were smaller. At OU there were like 500 people in my chem I class..at UCO there were 30. I'm sure it's bigger now, but still.... and I had an actual professor instead of a graduate student.

I graduated from UCO as well back in '03. If you're planning on grad school (and I was), unless you're majoring in one of the areas OU is famous for, a regional school will probably get you a better GPA and a better chance to graduate debt-free.

GottaHavePride
11/11/2011, 02:25 PM
National merit has very little to do with gpa. It's not an OU designation.

Fall of your junior year in high school you take the PSAT. If your score is in the top 2 or 3% nationally that year, you're named a semifinalist. Then you have to fill out an application, write a few essays, and take the SAT to confirm that the psat score wasn't a fluke. If you do all that, then you're named a finalist.

I had a 3.98 gpa, 35 on the ACT, and 1600 on the SAT, but if I hadn't hit the national merit stuff, no way could I have afforded OU.

Frozen Sooner
11/11/2011, 02:37 PM
Don't they require some kind of confirming GPA or something? It's low, but it's there, I though. Hell, it's been 20 years.

badger
11/11/2011, 02:45 PM
It's to be expected: OU ships a lot of scholarship $$$ out of state.

I hear a lot of public schools are doing this now as funding from states dries up. The reason is because outta state students pay more to the school and subsidize the cost of in-state students.

Giving a $8k scholarship to an outta stater means they're still gonna give $10k more in tuition/fees annually to OU. Giving an $8k scholarship to an in-stater would mean no more money (aside from dorms/food/football ticket bursar charges) coming in to OU.

badger
11/11/2011, 02:47 PM
National merit has very little to do with gpa. It's not an OU designation.

Fall of your junior year in high school you take the PSAT. If your score is in the top 2 or 3% nationally that year, you're named a semifinalist. Then you have to fill out an application, write a few essays, and take the SAT to confirm that the psat score wasn't a fluke. If you do all that, then you're named a finalist.

I had a 3.98 gpa, 35 on the ACT, and 1600 on the SAT, but if I hadn't hit the national merit stuff, no way could I have afforded OU.

More info on National Merit program here:
http://www.nationalmerit.org/nmsp.php

OU offers a sweet deal to merit scholars, yet I still recall one in a poli sci class being all like "I have car payments!" while indignantly saying that OU did not cover ALL of her expenses. Boo hoo :rolleyes:

Here's more info on what OU offers the merit scholars:
http://www.ou.edu/go2/home/nationalmerit.html

Frozen Sooner
11/11/2011, 03:19 PM
Also, forgive my typing skills being for **** right now. I just got 11 stitches in my right index finger.

cleller
11/11/2011, 07:13 PM
I got an email back from my daughter, who graduated from OU in 2009. I'll paste what she sent me:

Hmm. Well I think there are some work study positions at ou that are different than just a normal job because they provide a tuition waiver rather than a paycheck, or maybe both. It looks like maybe you have to be eligible through fafsa for those, but it's hard to tell. I was reading about them on the scholarships/financial aide site. Also, even if he didn't automatically a qualify for those main scholarships because of his grades and act, it think there are other scholarships that he might eligible for. http://financialaid.ou.edu/programs.cfm is where I found some stuff about those. http://financialaid.ou.edu/workstudy.cfm has stuff specifically about work study, and then the jobs.ou.edu lists all of the jobs at ou, some of which might offer a tuition waiver.

I see the whole work while at school question is generating some debate. From my experience, (and my daughter's) working part-time while going to school full time is do-able. For me, I preferred it that way, wouldn't change a thing.

My wife and I both worked our entire time in college, and she while in law school at Tulsa (as well as had a baby). It can be done.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2011, 07:34 PM
I appreciate all the info; the whole process just seems 100x more complicated than when I started college in 84;tuition was only 13 bucks per hour at nsu and my folks were pretty poor so I qualified for all kinds of money. Right now hes thinking about a career in the medical field so that's what has me worried about $$$$$

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2011, 07:36 PM
And to answer someones question we do not have the option of getting help from the native American tribes cause we are white as can be. Lol

GottaHavePride
11/11/2011, 07:51 PM
Work-study positions are an option, but you do have to fill out the fafsa to be eligible.

8timechamps
11/11/2011, 08:24 PM
In the end, a college degree is about getting a job. And unless you are attending an ivy leauge school, and going to work at an executive level of a major corporation, then where you get your degree isn't as important as getting it.

I completely understand the desire to attend OU, but starting at a JC or CC isn't a bad idea. Just make sure he can transfer credits.

I was an okay high school student, and spent too little time on grades in college...my GPA was just high enough to get my diploma, but the fact that I had my degree allowed me a foot in the door, and in the end, I ended up better than many of my peers that went to the east coast to pursue a "heralded" degree from an east coast school (Georgetown, etc).

Hope it all works out.

badger
11/11/2011, 09:16 PM
Right now hes thinking about a career in the medical field so that's what has me worried about $$$$$

Definitely see if there are any programs that offer tuition/expense payments in exchange for post-graduation employment. States like Oklahoma need nurses and doctors and I've heard public officials openly discussing programs to keep docs/nurses in-state after graduation, so your kiddo might be in luck.

StoopTroup
11/11/2011, 09:22 PM
You'd really start to worry when he's in his 12th year at Baylor John. LOL

SanJoaquinSooner
11/11/2011, 10:26 PM
My experiences as a student at OU were priceless.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2011, 10:34 PM
You'd really start to worry when he's in his 12th year at Baylor John. LOL

12 years of college down the drain!! LMAO

SanJoaquinSooner
11/12/2011, 01:47 AM

John

Doesn't sound like community college material to me.

olevetonahill
11/12/2011, 02:45 AM
But the Obama says we must keep them on our insurance until 26.

Fixes that right up fer ya

RacerX
11/12/2011, 02:33 PM
You know exactly dick about having kids and raising them.

Hopefully it will stay that way.

badger
11/12/2011, 02:51 PM
But the government says we must keep them on our insurance until 26.

At least you can still claim a dependent on your tax return though, right? :)

C&CDean
11/12/2011, 03:09 PM

So, what you're saying is you want him to be a worthless loser...like you?

Their obligation is to feed, shelter, and rear the child until he's of the age of majority. Period. Anybody who thinks a parent owes a child a college education is a ****ing selfish dickface. Seriously.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2011, 03:10 PM
Before you all kill SicEm, he might have meant that in the government's eyes, it is a family obligation before a governmental obligation to pay for higher education. This is why FAFSA makes you tell what your income and assets are in order to qualify (or not qualify) for aid. There's a billion pages and just as many different ways on FAFSA sites saying as much, that parents feelings and principles on the matter does not change the government's: They tell you what they think you ought to pay... and usually don't factor in stuff like other kids, debt, how close you are to retirement age, etc.

This is absolutely correct. It's a family obligation; it SHOULD NOT be a government obligation in any shape, form, or fashion.

C&CDean
11/12/2011, 03:17 PM
OP,

Is this your only child or do you have more you're gonna have to finance through college?

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2011, 03:18 PM
In the end, a college degree is about getting a job. And unless you are attending an ivy leauge school, and going to work at an executive level of a major corporation, then where you get your degree isn't as important as getting it.

I disagree with this as well. What happened to becoming educated just for education's sake? I can't stand treating higher-education as if they're trade or vocational schools. There are PLENTY of those and they cost a lot less than the tuition at a full-fledged university. That's not what college is supposed to be about. We have a mentality in this country now that going to college is only important insofar as a means of enhancing employment options. We've lost sight of the fact that being a well educated human being is important.

I really wish that attending college was more about improving one's self and allowing the rest of it (like careers and money) to take care of itself later.

yermom
11/12/2011, 04:44 PM
that's a lot easier to do when you grow up with a doctor as a father

tulsaoilerfan
11/12/2011, 05:53 PM
OP,

Is this your only child or do you have more you're gonna have to finance through college? No Dean this is our only child and honestly I'm willing to do whatever it takes for him cause he really is a good kid

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2011, 06:28 PM
I disagree with this as well. What happened to becoming educated just for education's sake? I can't stand treating higher-education as if they're trade or vocational schools. There are PLENTY of those and they cost a lot less than the tuition at a full-fledged university. That's not what college is supposed to be about. We have a mentality in this country now that going to college is only important insofar as a means of enhancing employment options. We've lost sight of the fact that being a well educated human being is important.

I really wish that attending college was more about improving one's self and allowing the rest of it (like careers and money) to take care of itself later.

Lemme introduce you to something:

http://www.union.umd.edu/GH/basic_needs/images/maslows_hierarchy2.jpg

Notice where being educated for its own sake is on the pyramid? Yeah, it's important, but if your physical needs aren't met, all the self-actualization in the world is a bunch of horse****.

8timechamps
11/12/2011, 10:45 PM

Yeah, I used to think that way too. Then, I got a mortgage, car payment, insurance, kids...etc, etc.

Let's be honest, being a well educated person is great, but it doesn't pay the bills.

Don't get me wrong, I have a very good friend that is "well-educated" (Phd), and also almost homeless. He could talk circles around anyone when it comes to the universe, black holes, and all that crap. However, he asks me for a "donation" every time I see him. I help him out here and there, but the guy has far more education than I do.

In theory, the goal of attaining a higher degree would be to round yourself out. In reality, it's to pay the bills.

And as for actually being educated just to be educated, in this day and age, information is at your fingertips. If you want to be educated on a subject, it's quite easy to do. And you don't have to pay $200/hr and have a piece of paper telling the world you're educated.

C&CDean
11/13/2011, 08:45 AM
Bet he's a star wars geek too.

cleller
11/13/2011, 08:58 AM
Have ya got any Indian blood in ya?

badger
11/13/2011, 09:12 AM
No Dean this is our only child and honestly I'm willing to do whatever it takes for him cause he really is a good kid

*hug*

OK, so how long left till the kid is gonna be in outta high school? I ask because people apply at different times, including after graduation?

Have you guys filled out FAFSA forms yet? I have heard many times (though didn't personally qualify for anything not involving loans, heh) that the sooner you apply, the more aid you will be declared eligible for and the later you apply, no matter what you would have qualified for, some of the grants and stuff are no longer available.

You said he was interested in going into medicine. Has he decided what specifically he wanted to do, because there's a million different types of doctors, but also medical specialists like pharmacists, nurses, etc.

A word of warning if the kid wants to be a doctor: A college roommate was convinced she wanted to go this route till she couldn't get the grades in a certain weed-out class for pre-meds. No matter what your high school grades and qualifying test scores look like, know that some medical fields are ONLY for those that have the science background to back it up. What specifically? A little something called "organic chemistry." You need a C in it at OU and can only take it thrice before pre-med's door closes.

tulsaoilerfan
11/13/2011, 10:07 AM
Have ya got any Indian blood in ya?

No

tulsaoilerfan
11/13/2011, 10:10 AM
*hug*

OK, so how long left till the kid is gonna be in outta high school? I ask because people apply at different times, including after graduation?

Have you guys filled out FAFSA forms yet? I have heard many times (though didn't personally qualify for anything not involving loans, heh) that the sooner you apply, the more aid you will be declared eligible for and the later you apply, no matter what you would have qualified for, some of the grants and stuff are no longer available.

You said he was interested in going into medicine. Has he decided what specifically he wanted to do, because there's a million different types of doctors, but also medical specialists like pharmacists, nurses, etc.

A word of warning if the kid wants to be a doctor: A college roommate was convinced she wanted to go this route till she couldn't get the grades in a certain weed-out class for pre-meds. No matter what your high school grades and qualifying test scores look like, know that some medical fields are ONLY for those that have the science background to back it up. What specifically? A little something called "organic chemistry." You need a C in it at OU and can only take it thrice before pre-med's door closes.

He graduates High School in May, and you can't fill out an FAFSA for next fall till after January 1, 2012 cause i have been on the web site many times and didn't see anything about it so i emailed and that's what they told me; FWIW, he's had High School Biology, Zoology, Chemistry, and Physiology so far and he's had solid A's and B's in them and the teacher is one of the best we have here at Henryetta; i realize college will be different and i really don't care what he majors in as long as it's something he enjoys

tulsaoilerfan
11/13/2011, 10:11 AM
Right now it's lookling like either becoming an Anesthesiologist? or going into Sports Medicine

tulsaoilerfan
11/13/2011, 10:12 AM
I did mention UCO last night and he seemed interested in that as a possibility

C&CDean
11/13/2011, 11:12 AM
Well since you only have one child, and he seems to have his head screwed on straight then doing whatever it takes to get him an education might very well be the right thing to do. My advice though is to NOT take loans, do NOT refinance your home, and do NOT let the child take loans. Yes, it's the American way, but it ain't the right way.

I got my undergrad at UCO and my Master's at OU. I value both degrees equally. So would/will your son if he chooses that type of route. I also ended up taking two classes (Government and History) at OKCCC. No regrets.

Jacie
11/13/2011, 11:23 AM
I disagree with this as well. What happened to becoming educated just for education's sake?

Cause it's not for knowledge that we came to college
But to raise hell while we're here!

line from an old frat song

8timechamps
11/13/2011, 04:54 PM
Bet he's a star wars geek too.

You know it. The worst kind too...where everything is a Star Wars analogy. Just don't get it.

C&CDean
11/13/2011, 05:29 PM
His name isn't Johnny Mack is it?

pphilfran
11/13/2011, 06:25 PM
Well since you only have one child, and he seems to have his head screwed on straight then doing whatever it takes to get him an education might very well be the right thing to do. My advice though is to NOT take loans, do NOT refinance your home, and do NOT let the child take loans. Yes, it's the American way, but it ain't the right way.

I got my undergrad at UCO and my Master's at OU. I value both degrees equally. So would/will your son if he chooses that type of route. I also ended up taking two classes (Government and History) at OKCCC. No regrets.

I agree...

8timechamps
11/13/2011, 06:32 PM
His name isn't Johnny Mack is it?

Hahahaha...no, but it would make sense.

FirstandGoal
11/13/2011, 09:01 PM
But the government says we must keep them on our insurance until 26.

**** that noise.

By the time I was 26, I'd had my college degree for 4 years (and I'm a damned pharmacist), had been married for 3 years, and had a 2 year old son. I was established in my career and had been paying all of my own bills since the age of 18.
Now I'm not saying I'm gonna chuck my 18 yo son out to the curb, but that's because he is enrolled in college and he has a part-time job. My son also knows that the moment he decides to quit college, get married, or knock someone up, he's absolutely on his own.

Bottom line: I do believe that parents should do everything reasonably within their power to help fund their child's education goals, but reasonable is a definition that each family has to identify for itself. For me, that means raising a kid that knows he has to be responsible and smart about decisions he makes. I will pay what I can, but not at the cost of going into a ridiculous amount of debt when there is a cheaper alternative available. For my family right now, that means my kid goes to UCO. If he really wants to go to OU, then he can get off his *** and earn a scholly, or save up enough cash, or take out a loan under his name.

For Sic'em, it means finding your picture in the Guiness Book of World Records for college credits received while someone else pays the bills. Oh, and of course being the most enlightened mofo on the SO.

Not saying either one of us is right or wrong... just different opinions.

badger
11/13/2011, 10:29 PM
Right now it's lookling like either becoming an Anesthesiologist? or going into Sports Medicine

Hmm...

Anesthesiologists are perioperative physicians who provide medical care to patients before, during, and after surgical procedures. Anesthesiologists are responsible for delivering (or ensuring the delivery of) anesthesia safely to patients in virtually all health care settings, including all major medical and tertiary care facilities. This includes a preoperative evaluation, consultation with the surgical team, creating a plan for the anesthesia tailored to each individual patient, airway management, intraoperative life support and provision of pain control, intraoperative diagnostic stabilization, and proper post-operative management of patients. Preparation of patients for emergency surgery are mandatory, essential, and critical skills that anesthesiologists have been trained to employ. Because anesthesiologists are physicians, in contrast to other anesthesia providers, they are able to utilize their extensive knowledge of human physiology and diseases to guide their decision making.

Historically there has been a shortage of anesthesiologists. In order to better serve the population, residency positions in anesthesiology for physicians have been steadily increasing the past several years. In addition, physicians supervise ACTs, or Anesthesia Care Teams, which are composed of a supervising physician with several certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) or anesthesiologist assistants (AAs), working together to provide healthcare to the population. In other areas of the country, anesthesiologists work in what is deemed a "solo" or "MD/DO only" practice, during which they provide anesthesia in a "one on one" relationship with the patient.

Ahhh!

http://www.oumedicine.com/academictemplate_landing.cfm?id=4002

http://catalog.ou.edu/current/Health_Sci_Ctr_Medicine.htm

All applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold a permanent visa and have a minimum of 90 semester hours of academic college work at an accredited college or university, and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. The following prerequisites must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.0:

* General Chemistry — two semesters
* Organic Chemistry — two semesters
* Physics — two semesters
* Introductory Zoology or Biology with lab — one semester
* Choice of Genetics, Comparative Anatomy, Embryology, Histology or Cell Biology — one semester
* Sociology, Psychology, Foreign Language, Humanities, Philosophy, or Anthropology, any combination — three semesters
* English—three semesters

Although the baccalaureate degree is not required for admission, it is strongly recommended that the applicant have the degree prior to entering medical school. With thoughtful planning of coursework, it should be possible to complete all requirements for admission to medical school as well as those for the degree. Computer skills are required for medical school.

Each applicant must take the Medical College Admissions test (MCAT) and have a minimum average score of 7.0. The MCAT exam is administered multiple times from late January through early September, and offered at hundreds of test sites in the United States, Canada, and throughout the world. Special examinations are not given, and applicants should register well in advance of the scheduled dates at www.aamc.org/MCAT/. Assistance in this regard is generally available from premedical advisers, however, final responsibility rests with the applicant.

As the number of qualified applicants increases, the Admissions Board members are called upon to examine motivation, commitment, support systems, and the ability of each applicant to cope with the rigors of a professional school system. Academically competitive applicants have a GPA of 3.6 and an MCAT average of 9.6. All interviews are offered at the discretion of the Admissions Board.

badger
11/13/2011, 10:51 PM
Also...

HEALTH AND
EXERCISE SCIENCE
For information concerning scholarships
in this academic area please contact:
Department of Health and Exercise Science
Huston Huffman Center, Room 104
Norman, OK 73019
(405) 325-5211
http://www.ou.edu/cas/hss/
G. Michael Sims Memorial Scholarship
NUMBER GIVEN: 1
AMOUNT: $500
TYPE: Merit
ELIGIBILITY: Graduate degree major in HES;
completion of 15 credit hours of letter-graded graduate
work at OU; GPA 3.5 or above. Submit letter of
application, current vita or resume, copy of graduate
transcripts, a one-page report of biography and goals
(both professional and academic), and a one-page
typed experience (work summary and volunteer
activity).
DEADLINE: April 1
AVAILABLE TO: Graduate
Mary Anne Price Scholarship
AMOUNT: $500
ELIGIBILITY: Undergraduate degree major in HES
(junior or senior standing); completion of 90 credit
hours at OU; completion of 12 credit hours in the HES
core; 3.5 overall GPA. Submit letter of application;
complete transcript; a one-page typed biography and
goals statement; a one-page typed experience (work
summary and volunteer activity).
AVAILABLE TO: Undergraduate

Some premed-related ones:

SCHOOL OF CHEMICAL,
BIOLOGICAL AND
MATERIALS ENGINEERING
For information concerning scholarships
in this academic area please contact:
Madena McGinnis
100 E. Boyd, Sarkeys Energy Center, Room T-335
Norman, OK 73019
(405) 325-4393
[email protected]
http://www.ou.edu/content/coe/cbme.html
Several of the following scholarships are part of the
Program of Excellence Scholarship.
Students may receive only one scholarship from
this program. Incoming Freshmen may apply online at
http://go2ou.edu to be considered for any scholarship
that is stated as a Program of Excellence Scholarship.
http://www.cbme.ou.edu/undergraduate/scholarships.
htm
Seniors, juniors and sophomores should fill out only
one general scholarship/current OU student application
to be considered for any scholarship that is stated as a
Program of Excellence Scholarship. http://www.cbme.
ou.edu/undergraduate/scholarships.htm
National Merit finalists qualify for a major scholarship
award from the University. For more information call
the National Scholars Program at (405) 325-1290 or
[email protected]
Chemical Engineering Faculty/R.G. Askew
Chemical Engineering Scholarship
NUMBER GIVEN: 1-2
AMOUNT: $1,500
ELIGIBILITY: Must be majoring in Chemical
Engineering, have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
and show significant participation in extracurricular
student activities. Students may be considered for
a subsequent award. Interested students should
complete the Program of Excellence application form.
DEADLINE: March 1
AVAILABLE TO: Incoming Freshmen/Undergraduate
Couch Family Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Must be a U.S. resident, full-time
CBME student, have financial need, 3.0 overall GPA,
leadership skills, and participate in extracurricular
activities.
David and Christina Kendrick Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time CBME student in pre-med/biomed
option, 3.25 overall GPA.
Exxon Mobil Chemical Engineering Scholarship
NUMBER GIVEN: 1-3
ELIGIBILITY: Chemical Engineering students in good
academic standing. Students may be considered
for a subsequent award. Interested students should
Gwen Campbell Scholarship
TYPE: Merit/Need
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time CBME student, needs
supplemental financial assistance, 3.0 overall GPA
required.
Haley Miles Finkelman Leadership Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time CBME student, United States
citizen, 3.0 GPA required.
J. D. Holbird/R.G. Askew Chemical Engineering
Scholarship
Engineering; have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better;
and shows significant participation in extracurricular
Jerrikaye Savage Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Upper-classmen majoring in Chemical
Engineering and/or Chemistry who have basic
objectives in life and are of good moral character.
Southwestern Oklahoma applicants are given first
preference.
John M. Campbell Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time CBME student; must need
supplemental financial assistance; 3.0 overall GPA
required; freshmen or sophomore students.
Kathleen Lorengo-Sultan Memorial Chemical
Engineering Scholarship
Engineering; have completed 30 or more semester
hours; and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
Students should show evidence of exceptional
leadership ability and/or character in the classroom
and/or in extracurricular activities. Students may
be considered for a subsequent award. Interested
students should complete the Program of Excellence
application form.
Laurance S. “Bud” Reid Memorial/R.G. Askew
ELIGIBILITY: Chemical Engineering students who have
a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better and demonstrate
significant participation in extracurricular activities.
Students may be considered for a subsequent award.
Interested students should complete the Program of
Excellence application form.
Mildred Philips Kerr Endowed Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: U.S. resident; full-time CBME student;
2.75 overall GPA required.
Mr. and Mrs. Spencer N. Knapp Chemical
Engineering Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Must be majoring in Chemical Engineering;
U.S. citizen; have completed 30 or more semester hours
and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. Students
should show evidence of extracurricular activities and/
or significant and successful academic performance in
curricula outside the College of Engineering. Students
may be considered for a subsequent award. Interested
students should complete the Program of Excellence
application form.
Phillip J. Doerpinghaus, Jr. Memorial Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Full-time, regularly enrolled juniors
or seniors majoring in Chemical Engineering in
good standing. Preference given to those who have
previously worked in a research lab for at least one
year.

Pipkin Family Chemical Engineering Scholarship
Engineering; have completed 30 or more semester
hours; have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. Students
should show significant participation in extracurricular

R. L. “Doc” Huntington Memorial/R.G. Askew
show significant participation in extracurricular student
activities. Students may be considered for a subsequent
award. Interested students should complete the
Program of Excellence application form.
Ray and Libby Daniels/R.G. Askew Chemical
Engineering Scholarship
show significant participation in extracurricular student
activities. Students may be considered for a subsequent
award. Interested students should complete the
Program of Excellence application form.
Rick Clawson Memorial Scholarship
ELIGIBILITY: Must be U.S. citizens enrolled full-time
majoring in Chemical Engineering; must be making
satisfactory progress toward graduation; maintain at
least a 3.25 GPA; and have need for supplemental
financial assistance.
Robert and Cynthia Dye/Apache Corporate Leaders
ELIGIBILITY: Must be a U.S. resident and full-time
CBME student; 3.0 overall GPA required; need
supplemental assistance and exhibit leadership skills
and programs.
Robert and Cynthia Dye/Apache Corporate Leaders
and programs.
Susan and Steve Raybourn Leadership Scholarship
and programs.
Susan and Steve Raybourn Leadership Scholarship
and programs.

I grabbed those off of this here (http://financialaid.ou.edu/scholarships/ScholarshipGuide2012-13.pdf). They are for the 2012-13 school year. Go to page 80 of that PDF for the university-wide scholarships.

As a kid who once applied for every scholarship she could as a high school senior, I can tell you it is 120 percent worth it to spend your time writing the application letters, essays, whatever it takes. Pay careful attention to the deadline dates!

badger
11/13/2011, 10:54 PM
Also, Henryetta's in Okmulgee County, isn't it? If so...

OU Club of Okmulgee County
NUMBER GIVEN: Varies
AMOUNT: Varies
ELIGIBILITY: Entering freshman at OU from the
Okmulgee County area. Applications are available
from high school counselors and the representative
listed below.
AVAILABLE TO: Incoming Freshmen

RacerX
11/14/2011, 10:48 AM
+1 to Badger

tulsaoilerfan
11/14/2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks badger I didn't expect u to do all that but its greatly appreciated. John

badger
11/14/2011, 01:37 PM
I am not sure how competitive these schollys are, but you are likely looking at a lot less competition for your local-ties scholarships, ones that alums and support groups in Henryetta offer.

Since you're waiting for the FAFSA window to open anyway, make sure the kiddo is in his guidance counselor's office and getting EVERY scholarship form he can from him/her. Pay careful attention to some of the crap some of them will throw at you that sounds odd. Do they require an official, sealed transcript or just a transcript? How many letters of recommendation (and from whom) do they require? Will they only accept a scholarship application that is stamped (this is something some organizations do to limit the number of applicants, as some high school counselors will make limitless copies of applications).

The big things are letters of recommendation. If the application isn't due till March, ask for letters of recommendation NOW so that you know who you can rely on, and so that you give them time to give a good letter for you.

I think what led some scholly people to choose me over other applicants was the fact that I seemed to have a sense of direction in where I was going. What am I gonna do? I am going to the University of Oklahoma. What am I going to do there? I am interested in studying XXX. What else am I going to do there? I will continue to participate in music via the university's band program.

It does NOT hurt to list EVERYTHING when applying for scholarships, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Groups LOVE youth volunteer work, so if you played piano at nursing homes and tutored elementary children in math and reading, mention it. Alums love students that participate in student groups that they, themselves might have participated in, so if you were part of National Honor Society, FFA, band, choir, football, mention it ALL.

I've probably contributed way too much here as-is. Sorry, long winded :D

pphilfran
11/14/2011, 02:03 PM
Great stuff, Mamma Badger...

tulsaoilerfan
11/14/2011, 10:20 PM
I am not sure how competitive these schollys are, but you are likely looking at a lot less competition for your local-ties scholarships, ones that alums and support groups in Henryetta offer.

Since you're waiting for the FAFSA window to open anyway, make sure the kiddo is in his guidance counselor's office and getting EVERY scholarship form he can from him/her. Pay careful attention to some of the crap some of them will throw at you that sounds odd. Do they require an official, sealed transcript or just a transcript? How many letters of recommendation (and from whom) do they require? Will they only accept a scholarship application that is stamped (this is something some organizations do to limit the number of applicants, as some high school counselors will make limitless copies of applications).

The big things are letters of recommendation. If the application isn't due till March, ask for letters of recommendation NOW so that you know who you can rely on, and so that you give them time to give a good letter for you.

I think what led some scholly people to choose me over other applicants was the fact that I seemed to have a sense of direction in where I was going. What am I gonna do? I am going to the University of Oklahoma. What am I going to do there? I am interested in studying XXX. What else am I going to do there? I will continue to participate in music via the university's band program.

It does NOT hurt to list EVERYTHING when applying for scholarships, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Groups LOVE youth volunteer work, so if you played piano at nursing homes and tutored elementary children in math and reading, mention it. Alums love students that participate in student groups that they, themselves might have participated in, so if you were part of National Honor Society, FFA, band, choir, football, mention it ALL.

I've probably contributed way too much here as-is. Sorry, long winded :D

Its ok Badger; we have 20 local scholarships and i have already looked at all of them; some require essays, some don't; the counselor is supposed to help the kids with them and i also plan on going and talking to her probably next week since i'm on vacation; there's also a really nice one offered thru my company(PepsiCo Inc) that i have already loaded and ready to go, but think i'm going to let the counselor look at it and tell me what we can improve; would be really nice to get that one

tulsaoilerfan
11/14/2011, 10:25 PM
OP,

Is this your only child or do you have more you're gonna have to finance through college?

Sent u a PM Dean; thanks for your input

badger
11/15/2011, 10:25 AM
Its ok Badger; we have 20 local scholarships and i have already looked at all of them; some require essays, some don't; the counselor is supposed to help the kids with them and i also plan on going and talking to her probably next week since i'm on vacation; there's also a really nice one offered thru my company(PepsiCo Inc) that i have already loaded and ready to go, but think i'm going to let the counselor look at it and tell me what we can improve; would be really nice to get that one

It sounds like you're doing what you can right now! :)

EDIT: I should warn you though that a lot of awards are not renewable and are just first-year only awards so you'll have to think about subsequent years. Schollys wiped out all of my expenses the first year pretty much (thank you, groups and families and awarded scholarships!) but by sophomore year, you have to start looking at the more competitive, university ones instead.

But, that one year cushion might be enough time to get a better handle on getting a part-time job at college, what class load he can handle, or even (just because it happens I'll mention it) if college is right or not for him.

I disagree with SicEm on the part-time job thing and it's not because I think parents that don't pay 100 percent are greedy or whatever :) Part-time jobs can be related to your major and thus will give you an extra foot in the door when you're searching for employment after graduation. If you plan to become a pharmacist, work at a pharmacy! If you are going to become a journalist, work at the student newspaper or intern at a TV station! If you are going to be in sports medicine, get a job as a student assistant for one of the many OU sports teams (that sounds like a lot of fun even if you're not going into sports medicine).

You'll get money for college expenses, but more than that, you'll also be getting valuable work experience... they don't teach that stuff in classes and you'll use that experience more in the future than what you memorized in textbooks, really. I don't think that anyone that has gone that route would disagree.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2011, 12:59 AM
I
I disagree with SicEm on the part-time job thing and it's not because I think parents that don't pay 100 percent are greedy or whatever :) Part-time jobs can be related to your major and thus will give you an extra foot in the door when you're searching for employment after graduation. If you plan to become a pharmacist, work at a pharmacy! If you are going to become a journalist, work at the student newspaper or intern at a TV station! If you are going to be in sports medicine, get a job as a student assistant for one of the many OU sports teams (that sounds like a lot of fun even if you're not going into sports medicine).

You'll get money for college expenses, but more than that, you'll also be getting valuable work experience... they don't teach that stuff in classes and you'll use that experience more in the future than what you memorized in textbooks, really. I don't think that anyone that has gone that route would disagree.

Nope, I agree 100% with this. You're right on. I worked on no fewer than 3 different campaigns my freshman year in order to start building contacts and street cred with the local politicos.

oudavid1
11/17/2011, 02:53 AM
For the record, my UCO semester tuition for Spring 2012 is less than what my (Dads) OU/Texas' were this year. I know OU is where all the cool kids go, but if your son just wants a boring, but very good education with small class sizes and flexible schedules, UCO isnt all that bad. Everyone who goes there seems to like it. And also for the record, OSU is not a bad school at all either, i have friends at OU who would rather hang out in Stillwater as far as the fraternity/sorority scene is considered.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/17/2011, 01:08 PM
For the record, my UCO semester tuition for Spring 2012 is less than what my (Dads) OU/Texas' were this year. I know OU is where all the cool kids go, but if your son just wants a boring, but very good education with small class sizes and flexible schedules, UCO isnt all that bad. Everyone who goes there seems to like it. And also for the record, OSU is not a bad school at all either, i have friends at OU who would rather hang out in Stillwater as far as the fraternity/sorority scene is considered.

But Conner really wants to go to OU.

badger
11/17/2011, 01:48 PM
Nope, I agree 100% with this. You're right on. I worked on no fewer than 3 different campaigns my freshman year in order to start building contacts and street cred with the local politicos.

See, you all? SicEm isn't such a bad guy. He's just secretly jealous of the fact that we all got to go to OU and his parents made him choose Baylor :D

(speaking of --- you're losing this weekend. bye bye brief top 25 appearance!)

LePetomaine
11/17/2011, 02:36 PM
With any scholarship that requires an essay, focus very hard on that. That's advice that I heard many years ago, and it still rings true. I do most of the scholarship work for our local alumni group. We have limited resources and have to find ways to small down the field of applicants. Students who try to be cheeky, cute, rah rah, etc., typically don't make the cut. I'm not saying the essay needs to be the equivalent of a thesis; it just needs to be honest, tight, and to the point. That's all I got. Best of luck.

badger
11/17/2011, 02:49 PM
With any scholarship that requires an essay, focus very hard on that. That's advice that I heard many years ago, and it still rings true. I do most of the scholarship work for our local alumni group. We have limited resources and have to find ways to small down the field of applicants. Students who try to be cheeky, cute, rah rah, etc., typically don't make the cut. I'm not saying the essay needs to be the equivalent of a thesis; it just needs to be honest, tight, and to the point. That's all I got. Best of luck.

Since I'm curious, and because it might help scholarship applicants and their families, what are some of the best essay remarks that you've read?

If you can't remember specifics, what in general sticks out to you? I'm just gonna throw some stuff your way and tell me what you'd think if you saw it in a kid's essay:

"Without the aid of scholarships, I will financially be unable to continue my education."

"I know I'm meant to do something great."

"I enjoy helping others who are less fortunate than me."

"I appreciate your time and consideration of my application."

"I love my school, my community and my state and I will never forget where I came from."

pphilfran
11/17/2011, 03:17 PM
I ain't no expert...

I wouldn't use #1 or 2

Maybe use 3 or 5...those could be worked in easily...

No problem with 4....

LePetomaine
11/17/2011, 03:30 PM
I apologize if this reply is rather lengthy, but it's an issue that does not lend itself to simple answers. I've been involved with the Houston club's scholarships for over 20 years, and I think we have a pretty good process. But, I will also start with this -- I do not like eliminating any student from the process. We offer two scholarships to area seniors and just cannot interview each one. Which is why I emphasize the essay portion. Some students won't meet the basic academic requirements -- that's an easy choice. After that, the process does become a bit intuitive. To address your thoughts:

"Without the aid of scholarships, I will financially be unable to continue my education."

See something like that very often, especially dealing with out-of-state tuition. If it's an honest comment, it is not a turn off.

"I know I'm meant to do something great."

It sounds a bit arrogant, but not necessarily a bad comment. In the interview I usually ask myself "is this student that confident, or are they just trying to say what they think I want to hear".

"I enjoy helping others who are less fortunate than me."

Similar to the comments above. Many of our students have very impressive lists of charity work they've done.

"I appreciate your time and consideration of my application."

I think that is polite. I don't expect it; but the reality is, every volunteer group runs into problems with getting people involved. It's nice to hear someone say "thanks for giving up your Saturday to talk to me."

"I love my school, my community and my state and I will never forget where I came from."

Again, as long as it appears genuine, I think it's fine.

I think the essays that work the least are ones that are poorly written and basically fill up a page with "I have to be a Sooner". That just does not really answer the question. I'll give you one example (and hope I don't offend someone's confidences), but one student wrote as part of an essay, which included comments on athletics: "It was very difficult to be the captain on my team because the other three captains were not effective leaders because they could not bring people to follow them. However, I had to deal with the cards I was dealt and do the best I could."

I think that is what I mean by honest and to the point.

pphilfran
11/17/2011, 03:50 PM
Don't post your phone number...have em pm ya...

badger
11/17/2011, 04:02 PM
As long as being so helpful, mind grading these sample essays I found online? :)

For as long as I can remember I’ve known what I wanted to do with my life. Science has always been a passion of mine, and medicine in particular has interested me for some time. Dedicating my life to improving the lives of others is very appealing to me. After Michigan State, I plan on advancing to medical school to become a physician. I believe this program will offer me valuable skills that cannot be taught in the classroom.

Throughout high school and college thus far I have taken a rigorous curriculum and maintained a 4.0 grade point average. During high school I was involved in a physician shadowing program called medical mentorship. In addition, I volunteered at Sparrow Hospital this fall in patient transport. I am very familiar with and comfortable in clinical settings. I am responsible, focused, hard working and easy to get along with. I participated in a Freshman Study Abroad program this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Studying in a foreign country was an experience unlike any I’ve had. The classes were challenging and thought provoking. The city was breathtaking and I met many friends who I still keep in touch with.

Although I plan on practicing medicine in the United States, I believe that studying the differences between the British health care system and that of the United States would benefit me a great deal in the future. It would be a valuable opportunity for me to shadow a British physician, and compare that experience to the clinical exposure I’ve had in the United States. By participating in this program I hope to eventually combine the best of both worlds into my medical education and eventual practice. I plan to learn valuable skills that will one day make me a better doctor.

My academic and professional goals are one as I apply to American Religious Studies Ph.D. programs. I want to study in Rome, home of the religious heart of Catholicism, to reexamine a tradition that shaped the imagination of my youth and continues to influence my approach to religious studies. I value the skills that studying in Rome would provide for looking to international religions for new ways of understanding religion in America.

In graduate school I hope to study under Dr. [name withheld], who researches Catholic mysticism at [name withheld]. My experiences near the Vatican will persist beyond next summer to influence my research on American Catholicism under [name withheld]’s mentorship.

I am seeking an undergraduate capstone experience. Before freshman year at MSU I spent thirteen months as a Congress-Bundestag ambassador in the German cities of Flensburg and Heidelberg, which included extensive travel to France, Switzerland, Austria, and Denmark. From this rich period of personal growth I acquired fluency in German, an identity as a global citizen, and the skills to independently navigate life in a foreign culture. It seems appropriate to support my next leap in life with an abroad experience that will reveal the directions in which I have grown since my exchange year, as well as provide a unique context for exploring the limits of my education before beginning graduate studies.

Strengths that I will bring to my abroad experience include exemplary leadership and social skills, refined through my service to Circle K International. Numerous leadership positions at its club, district, and international levels have trained me to unearth creative solutions to challenges, organize my experiences in the community for the purposes of both engagement and reflection, and socially navigate among diverse personalities and power differences. These traits will allow me to succeed in diverse situations while studying abroad.

A Summer in Spain

College is a time for new and exciting experiences as well as a time to explore diverse and innovative ideas. What could be better than traveling to a foreign country to learn about their ideas, history, and culture? I believe study abroad is something that every college student should do to help avoid ethnocentrism, to expand their horizons, and to appreciate everything the world has to offer.

I am particularly interested in the summer program offered in Santander, Spain. My grandmother came to the United States from Barcelona, Spain as a young adult to work and go to school. I have visited family in Barcelona several times and have had the opportunity to see some of the country on one family trip when we traveled from Barcelona down the eastern coast to the Rock of Gibraltar. Santander, however, is in a part of Spain that I have yet to explore. It is one thing to see a country while on vacation, but it is an entirely different experience to live there for an extended period of time. I do not think it is possible to become fluent in any language without living in that country. Even though I have some significant experience with the Spanish language, I believe that studying in Santander would deepen my understanding of not only the language, but of the culture, the people, and their history.

My immigrant grandmother worked as a realtor, helping Spanish-speaking people navigate the complex process of finding and financing their first home in the United States. She inspired me to consider making the Spanish language and culture an important part of my career. I am majoring in finance with a specialization in international business/Spanish. Since the business college does not offer a program in Spain, and understanding the language and cultural aspects are crucial when doing business in any foreign country, I believe that this program would greatly benefit me in my career path. I feel very strongly that I will be able to relate my experiences in Santander to my academic and professional goals.

Academically, it is very important to me that I continue studying Spanish. Going to Spain gives me the chance to learn in a native environment, and I do not think there is any better way to internalize a language and develop fluency. I have a very strong love for the Spanish language, people, and culture. A summer in Spain will allow me to bring together all of my past experiences and combine them with this new and exciting opportunity.

There is an undeniable advantage to living and studying in Spain; to be submersed in the Spanish way of life is the only way to fully understand and learn about how the country impacts and is impacted by the rest of the world. Not only will I learn about Spain, but I will also come to appreciate other countries in the world from a different point of view. I will be able to apply my new-found knowledge to my entire life and the way I look at the world around me. What could be more exciting than that?

Oh and just for fun, here's some bad ones I found :)

First up, one where the kid apparently takes Microsoft Word's thesaurus and subs out his tiny words for big ones:

My personal and educational endeavors and extracurricular involvements, ie, my curriculum vitae, allow me a bird’s eye view of the paradigm provided by the NASAAAAA committee in their statement of mission. I have considerable desire to carry the work I have begun, my ouvre, to higher heights on the wings that higher education offers. My joie d’vivre will effuse my contribution throughout the whole university, and aid the toiling professorial ranks to ascend the slope of professional contributorial scribehood bringing the lather of praise and laudation on the university itself.

The blow hard:

As a supreme example of genuine educational achievement, I surpassed the mark and nearly earned extra credit on my college entrance exams, while setting a speed record at the same time. My gray matter may soon be enshrined and chiseled out of rock to show my greatness, and my condescension in accepting the jillion dollar NASSSSSAA prize. One day, I expect to cure cancer, all varieties, win the lottery, and become the heir apparent to Palpitiens’s throne, Emperor of the Galactic Empire. I see no end to the good I can do once I have control of the universe.

And... the run-on sentence!

My experiences while in academic pursuits during the intraequinoxial lunar cycles included the discovery of the ancient Babylonian rites of astral projection, invisibility through continued cerebral conditioning, and random numerical procession of statistical prediction and probability functions had a profound affect on my personal mission statement possibilities, while also being very emotional for me due to incorrect translation or transcription and provided the involuntary rescission of my abstraction and cogitation of late denarian and vicenarian retirement, due to budgetary impoundment combined with extenuating leverage, though I did learn something in the process, and did revise the standard astrology chart at the same time. My version will soon go before the International Association of Astrology Practitioners and Professionals for official IAAPP adoption worldwide.

wtf...

My accomplishments evidence an aptitude to excel in technological and archeological pursuits inherent to the interstitial inspiration of institutional progress. As I achieve my goals, I will lift all of society to greater heights, upon my clavicle, deltoid, and trapezius muscles, my coup d’gra.

I have a feeling the bad one is a joke to show students what not to do in an exaggerated fashion, but the first three are apparently real.

LePetomaine
11/17/2011, 05:26 PM
sorry; just not sure how to do that

LePetomaine
11/17/2011, 05:46 PM
Okay, that last one was about the phone number -- I'm just not that skilled at Al Gore's interweb. Otherwise, Badger, it sounds like you have your finger on the pulse of this issue. I think the first group is spot on -- keep it direct, grammar correct, etc. If there is a particular personal experience that is relevant, share it, but don't over-sell it. (i.e. most essay questions simply ask "why do you want to attend _______"), just say it. With some of the other examples, I would wonder "is this student really trying on this task, or is he/she just trying to snow me?" Those are the ones that typically fall off.

8timechamps
11/17/2011, 06:22 PM
Okay, that last one was about the phone number -- I'm just not that skilled at Al Gore's interweb. Otherwise, Badger, it sounds like you have your finger on the pulse of this issue. I think the first group is spot on -- keep it direct, grammar correct, etc. If there is a particular personal experience that is relevant, share it, but don't over-sell it. (i.e. most essay questions simply ask "why do you want to attend _______"), just say it. With some of the other examples, I would wonder "is this student really trying on this task, or is he/she just trying to snow me?" Those are the ones that typically fall off.

At the top of this page, there is a link that says "Notifications". Click that link, and you will have access to your private messages. If you have any waiting, there will be a number next to the "Notifications" link. You may want to go back and edit your post to remove your number. Just never know what can happen with the innerwebs.

Very good input though.

oudavid1
11/17/2011, 07:25 PM
But Conner really wants to go to OU.

I understand. I have friends(one particular) who is in a frat at OU and wouldn't like UCO(because obviously UCO dosnt party like OU). And OU is a worldwide brand while UCO is just a commuter school. But I also have a friend who is really smart, but she isnt good with stress. She went to OU her freshman year and didnt like it and is coming to UCO because it's easier(in some cases, it really is).

At OU, your going to see 3 things, girls, parties, and football. (On Saturdays, all at once).

At UCO, you get girls (not as many pretty ones at OU, but enough), small classes, and a better town to hang around in Edmond.

If your like me and have friends that are involved in Greek activities and have houses in Edmond (I still live at home), your going to have fun.

Football team is bad though, but dont worry, im working on it :)

sooner59
11/18/2011, 08:54 AM
1. Search for all of the scholarships/tuition waivers available (Badger gave some)

2. Work Study is an option. They will at least work around your schedule and generally don't keep you late unless you work at Crossroads.

3. Student loans suck, I know, but sometimes are necessary. My parents paid $0 toward my tuition/fees/room/board while I was at OU. I had OHLAP, resident tuition waiver, valedictorian scholarship, and a lot of 1-year schollies my freshman year. The other years, I had to do loans. I ended up owing near $30K, however I switched to pre-med my junior year and basically had to start over, so it took me 6 years to graduate.

4. The freshman year is tough to deal with while having an actual job as you are just figuring college out. Not impossible, but tough. However, if he is going pre-med and expects to finish in 4 years, a job is going to be extremely difficult to manage due to the amount of studying that will be required in order to do well enough to be competitive GPA-wise given the required classes. And the minimum requirement do not always get you into medical school. Most schools want more than the minimum to prove you can handle the upper division science course-load.

5. There are a variety of options to help pay for college, but if he really wants to be a physician, he needs to worry about grades much more than money and paying for his college. I took on quite a bit of debt as I wasn't competitive enough coming out of undergrad and had to get a masters degree (which I raised my GPA significantly...and took on a LOT more debt) in order to get into medical school. Luckily for me, it paid off as I was just accepted to medical school two days ago. I owe a lot of money in school loans, but I can go the military route or have the government pay for my medical school if I pledge to practice in an underserved (urban/rural) area for a certain amount of years after med school. Also, many hospitals/tribal nations/groups will pay for med school loans. I think I can handle my current school debt easily as a doctor. Good luck to your son. Its a long and difficult road to medical school.