PDA

View Full Version : NCAA slaps Ohio State with 'Failure to Monitor"

SoonerMom2
11/10/2011, 07:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7217079/ncaa-slaps-ohio-state-buckeyes-failure-monitor-charge

Looks like the NCAA finally had enough of finding more items and is slamming them with a much tougher charge which they thought they could avoid.

Dan Thompson
11/10/2011, 07:45 PM
Will Penn St be next?

OUNASH
11/10/2011, 07:49 PM
Will Penn St be next?

They should get the death penalty.

SoonerMom2
11/10/2011, 07:49 PM
Will Penn St be next?

Great question. On CBS sports they are reporting that the NCAA is deferring for now to the criminal investigation but would expect the NCAA to get involved in this eventually. With Paterno hiring a high priced DC defense attorney which was announced a short time ago on ESPN, things do not look good for Penn State!

Blue
11/10/2011, 07:54 PM

Yup. +1 from me. Covering up a child sex ring? If thats not lack of institutional control I don't know what is.

VA Sooner
11/10/2011, 07:56 PM
Does not look good at all for Penn State. Turmoil on the campus, turmoil with the program, the university is in shambles...

LASooner
11/10/2011, 07:59 PM
Yup. +1 from me. Covering up a child sex ring? If thats not lack of institutional control I don't know what is.

Maybe they'll use the Cam Newton defense and say they didn't know any better.

Blue
11/10/2011, 08:01 PM
Maybe they'll use the Cam Newton defense and say they didn't know any better.

I know you're kinda joking but PSU is on a whole nother level now.

CBUS_SOONER
11/10/2011, 08:19 PM
Wow THE taking 5 schollies over three yrs. Way to put the hammer down THE. I hope the Ncaa nails these fukers

jkjsooner
11/10/2011, 10:37 PM

I know we like to pile on but let's back up a bit. What NCAA rules did they violate?

Before you get high and mighty about how what they did was worse than an NCAA violation, I agree but that isn't the point.

As an example, had Broyles been given gasoline by a booster rather than stolen it, his career at OU (and possibly NCAA career) would have been over. Instead he broke a law which isn't an NCAA violation.

There is irony there but you have to look at it from the NCAA's perspective. The main objective of their rules is to create a level playing field. Criminal offenses don't generally create an unfair advantage. Taking money or accepting services from a booster does.

The NCAA doesn't need to get involved with this. We have a full legal system to handle it.

MichiganSooner
11/10/2011, 10:48 PM
I agree with the above post. Let the Ohio State fans say that Penn State should be sanctioned not us.

SoonerMarkVA
11/10/2011, 11:11 PM

If the worse comes to worst, and some of these newer rumors are true involving donors and collusion at the highest levels inside the University to cover up, then they deserve it. And I say 5 years.

soonergirlNeugene
11/10/2011, 11:22 PM
Well the NCAA would have access to lots of depositions and statements that they could not normally compel Penn State to turn over to them. I don't imagine that too many ppl will be talking about money handshakes and that sort of thing, but sometimes things like this are just the tip of the iceberg that winds up revealing much more. If their athletic department was corrupt enough to cover up something like this, we may see evidence of a track record of similar treatment for other issues. That could involve the NCAA. And the NCAA may want to make more than a statement on the matter. Of course all of that is wild speculation at this point. The current case does not seem to involve the NCAA in any way. To the NCAA, it's not a question of pedophilia<lack of institutional control, it's a question of jurisdiction.

OhU1
11/10/2011, 11:27 PM
I know we like to pile on but let's back up a bit. What NCAA rules did they violate?

Rule 1.a, anal rape of a child,

8timechamps
11/10/2011, 11:33 PM

Lack of Institutional Control.

Having your starting QB selling cocaine to undercover FBI agents doesn't break any NCAA by-laws per se, and yet we got in trouble for it.

The NCAA has already said they are going to wait for the justice system to do there thing before they weigh in, but if you think there isn't something in the NCAA rule book that they won't slap PSU with, then you underestimate the NCAA.

Not to mention if the NCAA didn't impose some kind of punishment on PSU, then all credibility (what little is left) the NCAA has is lost.

SoonerDood
11/10/2011, 11:52 PM
The NCAA doesn't even have supoena power! No way should they handle any form of a criminal investigation!

Blue
11/11/2011, 12:06 AM
Taking money or accepting services from a booster does.

How about providing said booster with a child romp for a donation? The entire PSU athletic department is complicit in concealing a child sex ring and you think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.? These guys are going down in flames and they deserve it.

Players should be able to transfer and PSU shouldn't field a team for a year or two.

8timechamps
11/11/2011, 12:10 AM
How about providing said booster with a child romp for a donation? The entire PSU athletic department is complicit in concealing a child sex ring and you think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.? These guys are going down in flames and they deserve it.

Players should be able to transfer and PSU shouldn't field a team for a year or two.

+10

AlbqSooner
11/11/2011, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, penn state is not guilty of a lack of institutional control. They controlled the situation very effectively for 12 years or so. (Law school really screws up your thought processes.)

cleller
11/11/2011, 08:39 AM
With Penn State, the stuff doesn't involve the players, recruits, donors, money, etc that the NCAA usually deals with. I'll bet they decide the courts are already handling it fully. All the people involved at any major level are gone.

jkjsooner
11/11/2011, 09:32 AM
Lack of Institutional Control.

I believe lack of institutional control relates to the overall monitoring and control of the program as it relates to NCAA rules and regulations. I could be wrong about that.

Having your starting QB selling cocaine to undercover FBI agents doesn't break any NCAA by-laws per se, and yet we got in trouble for it.

No we didn't. That had absolutely nothing to do with our probation. Neither did the rape nor the shooting. These event just happened to coincide with the timing of the probation. In fact, just looking at the timeline, we were placed on probation in December of '88 and Thompson was arrest in February of '89.

These events did have a lot to do with the firing of Switzer. If it would have just been the probation I believe Switzer would have remained the coach.

I'm going to defend the NCAA here. It's not their job to monitor illegal activity outside of certain activities that may also impact competitive balance (steriod use) or create potential conflict of interests (illegal gambling).

On the other hand, it is the role of coaches and athletic departments to monitor and control their coaches and players. This is where I think there's a little hypocrisy in athletic departments. We had a couple of players who accepted benefits for work not done and they were ostracized. We've had other players who outright committed theft and while being punished they remained in the program.

I understand it. Stoops and Castiglione's #1 priority is to protect the program. When someone accepts unauthorized benefits they are putting the program at risk. Theft does not. That being said, we are definitely sending a mixed message here - breaking an NCAA violation is taken much more seriously than breaking the law.

But then again that is how the world works. If I do something (even legal) to harm my company I will get fired. If I do something illegal I may not get fired for it. My company's first priority is the company's health. The same can be said for friend and family.

soonercoop1
11/11/2011, 09:35 AM
If the worse comes to worst, and some of these newer rumors are true involving donors and collusion at the highest levels inside the University to cover up, then they deserve it. And I say 5 years.

I'd say they get the death penalty for the same amount of time they covered it up...

WileyCoyote
11/12/2011, 07:02 AM
A lot of things come in to play here that go beyond the obvious that have been disclosed/surfaced/reported. This is still unfolding IMHO. There are details/developments out there that will surface once all kinds of investigations start rolling in. Dont get me wrong, what's out there now is horrific enough and there is plenty of potential lawsuits to support 100 attorneys and blame to go around.

But I have this feeling that... like the song goes.... "You aint seen, nothin' yet !!"

LiveLaughLove
11/12/2011, 11:22 AM
I don't know, but I'm betting there is some sort of morals clause that the NCAA can invoke since it did happen in relation to the football program (former coach still using their facilities with the head coache/ADs permission). Not to mention a coaches witnessing it and not stopping it and the AD covering it up. All of which fall under the ncaas pervue.

They won't do anything at least until all of the criminal stuff is done.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2011, 11:28 AM
Guys, get this back on Ohio State...already a huge penn state thread where you can talk about that

LiveLaughLove
11/12/2011, 11:48 AM
Guys, get this back on Ohio State...already a huge penn state thread where you can talk about that

woops, my bad. I have no opinion about that topic at all, except to say that they will go as lightly on ohio state as they possibly can, because they are big money for them.

I also will say I refuse to call them the ohio state, or miami, the u. Thats their propaganda, and homey dont play that game.

fadada1
11/12/2011, 12:04 PM
PSU didn't violate any NCAA rules. They (it appears) to have violated the law as it pertains to criminals... which is different. How quickly we, as OU fans/grads, forget the 80's with a shooting, gang rape, and selling cocaine. All are not necessarily violations according to NCAA law, and are not what got us into trouble (per se). Those incidents did, however, open the door for the NCAA to take a peak at the program.

Will that happen at PSU??? maybe... maybe not.