PDA

View Full Version : Paterno GONE!

Pages : [1] 2 3

En_Fuego
11/6/2011, 02:29 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-11-05/penn-state-abuse-case/51083628/1

:pop:

agoo758
11/6/2011, 08:33 AM
"abuse" is the understatement of the year, how about being a "****ing pervert"?

cccasooner2
11/6/2011, 08:44 AM
This will drain the PSU coffers some, just like certain churches around the world.

GreenSooner
11/6/2011, 09:35 AM
The cover-up allowed this guy to continue to have access to small kids for years. A disgraceful performance by Penn State officials.

Breadburner
11/6/2011, 09:45 AM
I dont see this guy being inoccent......

3rdgensooner
11/6/2011, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a disgusting human being

Indy Sooner
11/6/2011, 12:19 PM
This will drain the PSU coffers some, just like certain churches around the world.

Excellent point. Seems it's not just the Catholic church guilty of protecting these scumbags.

StoopTroup
11/6/2011, 12:38 PM
Gulity or not....this is one of those stories that make a Parent like me crazy. You'd like to think that people who are involved in helping kids don't see them as targets. That they don't take advantage of them and that they are beyond reproach.

Unbelievable this is happening at Penn State. I really feel bad for folks who have devoted their lives to helping kids and to Penn State. Even though I don't like their Football Team....it's a great University and one guy like this can really make them look bad. If he's guilty I hope they lock him up for good.

SoCal
11/6/2011, 01:20 PM
Grand Jury Report...http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/11/06/sports/ncaafootball/20111106-pennstate-document.html

Update November 4th 2011.

McQueary, easily identified on the Penn State sideline by his bright red hair, is a record setting former quarterback for the Nittany Lions. He led Penn State for two seasons, 1996 and 1997, and set several records that still stand. In his position as recruiting coordinator McQueary has overseen the recruitment of several high profile recruits including Justin King, Derrick Williams and Andrew Quarless. Mike McQueary returned to Penn State in 2000 following attempts to catch on in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders[2] and in NFL Europa with the Scottish Claymores.[

Mike McQueary is identified as a witness in the ongoing Penn State Sandusky child abuse scandal, according to Pennlive.com.

State investigators say former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky used his celebrity status to gain access to children he could molest.

Several sources have identified that witness as McQueary: McQueary recalled the incident taking place the evening of March 1, 2002, when he went into the locker room to put away sneakers and get recruiting tapes. McQueary said he saw Sandusky standing behind a boy about 10 years old, performing a sex act in the shower.

McQueary immediately left and told his father. In the morning, he told Paterno, who then called Curley.

About 10 days later, McQueary met with Curley and Schultz and told them what he witnessed, according to the grand-jury report.

But the grand jury heard a different version of that meeting when Curley and Schultz testified.

They said they were never told about any sexual act. Curley's recollection is that the incident resembled "horsing around," and Schultz recalled that it was described as "not that serious."

Schultz, who was in charge of the university police force at the time, and Curley never talked about calling police, and they never reported the incident to Children and Youth Services.

Because of their jobs, they fall into the category of people required by law to report any allegation of child abuse.

"This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys," Kelly said. "It is also a case about high-ranking university officials who allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury that was investigating a series of assaults on young boys."

GreenSooner
11/6/2011, 01:31 PM
Even though I don't like their Football Team....it's a great University and one guy like this can really make them look bad. If he's guilty I hope they lock him up for good.

If it had been only one guy, they would have had him arrested after the first incident was discovered. Instead, they covered it up and let him continue to have opportunities for abuse. If Penn State comes out of this looking bad it's because the athletic department and a chunk of the higher administration deserves a lot of the blame. This is not really my definition of a "great university."

Wishboned
11/7/2011, 09:21 AM
It's a good thing Joe Paterno stuck around so he wouldn't leave college football to the Jackie Sherril's and Barry Switzer's of the world.

OUHOMER
11/7/2011, 09:58 AM
A. If i would have walked into locker room and saw it. there would have been a differant out come....all hell would have broke lose.

B. If the story was told to Joe Pa, and he reported it to the admin, and nothing happened, i would have to put some blame on Joe Pa for not following up.

Total mess, and they all share some blame.

Sooners78
11/7/2011, 10:13 AM
Obviously if true, this coach needs to be put away. Also, Curley and Schultz should serve some time for their involvement and cover up. They didn't simply fail to report, they lied about what McQueary had told them.

fwsooner22
11/7/2011, 10:59 AM
Sad story but you pay the price for being loyal too long. If you have heard Paterno interviewed recently you'd know he probably isn't overseeing his own "daily routine" much less a major sports program.

winout
11/7/2011, 12:19 PM
Penn State coach Joe Paterno once remarked that he didn't want to retire and leave the game "to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world."

He later apologized to Switzer. But maybe he should have retired long ago.

SoCal
11/7/2011, 12:24 PM
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7tNRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=d28DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5661,4278260&dq=jerry+sandusky&hl=en

December 27, 2000 Jerry Sandudusky interviewed for the Virginia job...he was accompanied by Penn St LB coach Al Golden (Current Miami head coach)...wow! The fall out is going to be bad.

JohnnyMack
11/7/2011, 01:02 PM
The more I read about this, the more I think JoePa should resign. Now.

trey
11/7/2011, 01:35 PM
The more I read about this, the more I think JoePa should resign. Now.

resign? he should be fired! he knew what happened and knew that there was nothing done about it.

Vegas Sooner
11/7/2011, 01:42 PM
DEAR PENN STATE....

...disgusting

Soonerjeepman
11/7/2011, 01:49 PM
A. If i would have walked into locker room and saw it. there would have been a differant out come....all hell would have broke lose.

B. If the story was told to Joe Pa, and he reported it to the admin, and nothing happened, i would have to put some blame on Joe Pa for not following up.

Total mess, and they all share some blame.

agree..but ya got to think of McQueary having prob played or recruited by the perv...didn't have the nads to actually do something like that..."the brotherhood of football"..type of thing...so best thing he thought of was to tell his dad...

delhalew
11/7/2011, 02:24 PM
It's a good thing Joe Paterno stuck around so he wouldn't leave college football to the Jackie Sherril's and Barry Switzer's of the world.
This was my first thought. This was not hidden nearly well enough for Joe Pa's self righteous *** to escape the fire.

Vegas Sooner
11/7/2011, 02:27 PM
Joe Pa is done.

prrriiide
11/7/2011, 02:35 PM
I can't believe how Schecter from SI.com is throwing JoePa under the bus, treating him like absolute slime. AFAIK, Paterno has never had any integrity issues throughout his career. You know Sandusky was a close friend. I can certainly see how he wouldn't call the cops and report it to the university admin instead. Joe Pa had to be in a tough position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Illegal or not, his actions are understandable to me. And no, I don't think he survives this.

SoonerTerry
11/7/2011, 02:39 PM
burn that mother****er at the stake

delhalew
11/7/2011, 02:42 PM
Everyone who didn't take this seriously enough, contributed to more children being abused. I would clean house, and not leave one person who's been there for the last twenty years, from Paterno to the janitors.

trey
11/7/2011, 02:53 PM
I can't believe how Schecter from SI.com is throwing JoePa under the bus, treating him like absolute slime. AFAIK, Paterno has never had any integrity issues throughout his career. You know Sandusky was a close friend. I can certainly see how he wouldn't call the cops and report it to the university admin instead. Joe Pa had to be in a tough position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Illegal or not, his actions are understandable to me. And no, I don't think he survives this.

wow! we're talking about child rape here. who gives a **** how tough a position joe pa was in? was it a tougher position than the kid that was getting raped?

delhalew
11/7/2011, 03:12 PM
wow! we're talking about child rape here. who gives a **** how tough a position joe pa was in? was it a tougher position than the kid that was getting raped?
Seriously. ****ing priorities.

soonergirlNeugene
11/7/2011, 03:56 PM
This is a THOUSAND times worse than anything thats been going on at Ohio State, Miami, Auburn, or USC. At worst, those places have tried to cover up NCAA infractions, but here we have a documented case where a school's athletic department went to lengths to cover up ongoing felonies. And the word felony seems like letting them off easy. We're talking about a seriously depraved individual who was using his status at the university to prey on young boys under his care. The university not only tried to cover this up, but did nothing to sever its relationship with this criminal who was using that relationship as leverage to gain access to his victims. This is the worst story to emerge from college sports in the last decade.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 04:10 PM
It's so ****ing depraved.

prrriiide
11/7/2011, 04:55 PM

I don't know how the accusation was presented to Paterno. I don't know how he presented it to the admin. I don't know if he really believed the grad asst. I don't know if he discussed it with Sandusky and came away satisfied with the answers he got. I don't even know if he knew he was bound by law to report it. Sorry. Until I see something else implicating Paterno, I'm going to chalk it up to a terrible choice and resist lighting the match at the bottom of the stake. Should he go? I tend to agree with delhalew (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?49179-delhalew)that anyone that knew anything should be terminated immediately. But I'm not going to get on a moral high horse until I know who knew what and when they knew it. And no, I haven't read the indictment and I don't plan to. I don't have any interest in being disgusted anymore than what the media is reporting.

Put the rage and disgust where it is really due: on Sandusky. That piece of chit should be neutered with a meat hammer.

It's so ****ing depraved.

Yes, it is.

JohnnyMack
11/7/2011, 05:12 PM
Ya know what, I've thought about and I've changed my mind. Under no circumstance would it be appropriate for JoePa to continue as head coach of this team. He should resign immediately.

But he won't.

Breadburner
11/7/2011, 05:16 PM
Death penalty for all child rapist.....No appeal.......

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2011, 05:17 PM
This story is pretty damn sad, and Joe Pa should have followed up on it; if this is true, he should resign

ouflak
11/7/2011, 05:18 PM
You know Sandusky was a close friend. I can certainly see how he wouldn't call the cops and report it to the university admin instead. Well then you have a clearer vision than I have, because I can't see this at all. If it had been my very best friend, I would have first called the police. And then I would have told the Penn St admin that I had heard about the incident and called the police, and that I expect that this man will have no more access to children, and no longer be allowed on campus until the matter is settled by the proper authorities. This is the only option that Joe Paterno had in my opinion.

JohnnyMack
11/7/2011, 05:24 PM
Well then you have a clearer vision than I have, because I can't see this at all. If it had been my very best friend, I would have first called the police. And then I would have told the Penn St admin that I had heard about the incident and called the police, and that I expect that this man will have no more access to children, and no longer be allowed on campus until the matter is settled by the proper authorities. This is the only option that Joe Paterno had in my opinion.

I think it's easy to say after the fact, on a message board that you'd be the noble white knight if you were presented with this situation.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 05:30 PM
I think it's easy to say after the fact, on a message board that you'd be the noble white knight if you were presented with this situation.Is my response really all that noble? Really? Somehow I just can't see my actions as being all that noble. Maybe I'm overreacting. I'm a relatively new parent. When I was a competitive athlete, I really tried to hold myself to higher standard. Perhaps my perspective is flawed somehow.

The Maestro
11/7/2011, 05:45 PM
A memoir written in 2001...and this is not a joke. Ironic, yes.

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2011/11/4eb8415173f60.png

delhalew
11/7/2011, 05:53 PM
I think it's easy to say after the fact, on a message board that you'd be the noble white knight if you were presented with this situation.
I don't call doing the right thing noble. I call it not being as big as big a scumbag as your buddy...the kid ****er.

JohnnyMack
11/7/2011, 05:56 PM
Is my response really all that noble? Really? Somehow I just can't see my actions as being all that noble. Maybe I'm overreacting. I'm a relatively new parent. When I was a competitive athlete, I really tried to hold myself to higher standard. Perhaps my perspective is flawed somehow.

I work with someone whom I've known for over 20 years. We took our dates to prom together, best man in the wedding, at the hospital when kids were born, etc. I can tell you that if someone said to me, "Hey I just saw such and such do XYZ". I would probably stop what I was doing and go ask him WTF? I honestly don't think my FIRST response would be to call the police. Congratulations, you're a better man than I.

cccasooner2
11/7/2011, 06:43 PM
Way out of line, I know.

WHeGxL1u6sE&feature

Jacie
11/7/2011, 06:57 PM
Joe Pa is done.

Yup, this will seriously cut his coaching career short and just as he was in his prime, atop the Big 10 and all . . .

SoonerinSouthlake
11/7/2011, 07:14 PM
Penn State coach Joe Paterno once remarked that he didn't want to retire and leave the game "to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world."

He later apologized to Switzer. But maybe he should have retired long ago.

this is him eating his words. NO WAY he should survive this. Paterno knew about the DETAILS of this dudes actions. Just because he reported it to the AD doesnt mean he gets to wash his hands. After about a week of inactivity from the AD's office, JOE-PA shouldve had his butt down at the police stations spilling his guts.

If Bob Stoops was in the same position Id be calling for his head......same should be the case for Paterno.

If he keeps his job for the rest of the season because people want to protect his legacy, its gonna be sickening.

IBleedCrimson
11/7/2011, 07:21 PM

you have to be noble to report child rapists? you have to be noble to not let more children get raped in your own locker rooms?

BeaSooner
11/7/2011, 07:39 PM
a. McGinger should have interrupted the "situation" and removed the kid from that circumstance immediately.
2. I don't even mind him notifying JoePa first; however, if, after that discussion it wasn't clear that there was some movement in the direction of an investigation, I would escalate it immediately.
III. How the **** do you continue on as nothing happened?
iv. The pedophile is one sick bastard especially doing this under the protective veil of the University and his charity. He should be drawn and quartered
e. All that knew of the incident should be charged with accessory. Sorry bastards.

mdklatt
11/7/2011, 08:07 PM
Yup, this will seriously cut his coaching career short and just as he was in his prime, atop the Big 10 and all . . .

Don't look now, but Penn St. is atop the Big 10.

ashley
11/7/2011, 08:37 PM
Everyone who didn't take this seriously enough, contributed to more children being abused. I would clean house, and not leave one person who's been there for the last twenty years, from Paterno to the janitors.
So you would even fire people that did nothing wrong? What does that make you?

JohnnyMack
11/7/2011, 09:17 PM
you have to be noble to report child rapists? you have to be noble to not let more children get raped in your own locker rooms?

That's not what I was saying.

SoonerMom2
11/7/2011, 09:18 PM
Is my response really all that noble? Really? Somehow I just can't see my actions as being all that noble. Maybe I'm overreacting. I'm a relatively new parent. When I was a competitive athlete, I really tried to hold myself to higher standard. Perhaps my perspective is flawed somehow. You are 100% correct and your perspective is not flawed -- there was no other alternative IMHO but to call the cops. That is where you report and let them sort it out.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 09:28 PM
So you would even fire people that did nothing wrong? What does that make you?

It doesn't make me a janitor that chose my job over the well being of god only knows how many children.

MR2-Sooner86
11/7/2011, 11:12 PM
Jo Poe is a piece of **** and anybody who defends him is a piece of **** as well. **** that whole school I hope they all fry.

I read the 25 page report and words cannot even begin to describe.

SoonerMom2
11/7/2011, 11:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7203559/penn-state-nittany-lions-scandal-stuns-community

Looks like AG is saying that Paterno is not in legal danger yet. This is beyond disgusting as this guy was supposed to be next coach at Penn State. Guess Paterno testified to the Grand Jury. Absolutely sickening.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/8/2011, 02:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7203559/penn-state-nittany-lions-scandal-stuns-community

Looks like AG is saying that Paterno is not in legal danger yet. This is beyond disgusting as this guy was supposed to be next coach at Penn State. Guess Paterno testified to the Grand Jury. Absolutely sickening.

Legal danger or not. I predict, and hope, its the end for JoePA. Some will argue he has been such a man of integrity and character. But this will and should scar his legacy forever and his career should be OVER.

Im gonna be ticked if the try to give him a graceful exit and let him "retire" at the end of the season because he's been "seemingly" a good boy in other areas. He needs to be made a clear example of.

The fact that he had direct knowledge of this and didnt go to authorities is unforgivable. This is every bit as damning a the Baylor/Dave Bliss scandal

En_Fuego
11/8/2011, 03:17 AM
The Grand Jury Report

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4181508116.PDF

LASooner
11/8/2011, 03:47 AM
Well that's about one of the worst documents I've read in a while. Burn it all down says I.

Joe Pa has to take some responsibility for at least not following up on what was reported to him, and not escalating it on his own to the local authorities. He has to be done.

What's worse is that these are the 8 he got caught abusing, who knows how many of those kids in that program got abused. He created a "Charitable" program to groom his victims, that's just about the worst thing I've heard.

47straight
11/8/2011, 10:34 AM
Imagine that, a grand jury report makes it sound like everyone's a bad guy. It's almost as if it was written only with evidence presented from the prosecutors without anything put in from the defense.

If grand jury reports were the full truth in every case, we'd be burning a lot of things and people to the ground.

While what's being reported is deeply disturbing, I'll reserve judgment.

soonerloyal
11/8/2011, 11:02 AM
While all of these allegations are extremely disturbing, the one that confuses and angers me the most is the incident of child rape in the shower witnessed firsthand by a Grad Assistant. Good God, why didn't he call 911? This one alone should be enough to put some people away. Talk about dropping the ball - for a grown man to see a young child being violated and do nothing to break it up...the guy was a football player and should certainly have been physically able to stop it. And because he did little of anything substantially quickly, that boy got no help at all. It makes me sick. I guarandamntee you if the majority of men & women I personally know were in the same situation, that SOB would have been at the very least out cold and subdued on that shower floor and it would have gotten better for the boy from there.

Shame on these people. The buck was passed by so many for so long, apparently enabling a pedophile to damage multiple children on multiple occasions, unhindered by all but the most ephemeral of circumstances and worsened by the accused offender's boldness.

For shame.

Mac94
11/8/2011, 11:23 AM
I work with someone whom I've known for over 20 years. We took our dates to prom together, best man in the wedding, at the hospital when kids were born, etc. I can tell you that if someone said to me, "Hey I just saw such and such do XYZ". I would probably stop what I was doing and go ask him WTF? I honestly don't think my FIRST response would be to call the police. Congratulations, you're a better man than I.

One additional variable though is that this same guy was investigated in 1998 and left his coaching position in 1999 under investigation for something similar. The 2002 case wasn;t an isolated incident. The guy had a history already when the GS showed up to talk with JoePa

AlboSooner
11/8/2011, 11:30 AM
Hopefully the prison code of conduct applies to this dude, ASAP.

The assistant should have grabbed a 2x4 and went crazy on that perv.

JLEW1818
11/8/2011, 12:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7207730/penn-state-nittany-lions-call-joe-paterno-news-conference

Joe P news conference called off.

BeaSooner
11/8/2011, 12:54 PM
Question: I must have missed it....but why is this coming up now? What precipitated the investigation that led to the report? Has anyone seen how that happened?

badger
11/8/2011, 12:55 PM
Question: I must have missed it....but why is this coming up now? What precipitated the investigation that led to the report? Has anyone seen how that happened?

My guess: One of the victims is an adult now and after counseling and living in fear for years, has finally come forward.

BeaSooner
11/8/2011, 12:55 PM
nm.... found it.

"Once they learned from the child and the mother of that child, that there had been these sexual assaults that occurred, they promptly reported that to law enforcement and that was the catalyst that started this investigation and but for that we may not be standing here today," said Attorney General Kelly

BeaSooner
11/8/2011, 12:56 PM
AND....didn't I read somewhere that it was also reported to someone at his charity? If so, wouldn't there be some accountability there too?

Boomer.....
11/8/2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like JoPa is on the way out.

AlboSooner
11/8/2011, 12:59 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/college/img15901835.jpg

October of 2011.

wow

Soonerpsycho
11/8/2011, 01:06 PM
Not mine:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316863_10150371321324635_783169634_8467196_1469923 584_n.jpg

Penguin
11/8/2011, 01:19 PM
Good God! Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen in college football. Why on Earth would anyone cover up for him?

En_Fuego
11/8/2011, 01:23 PM
Good God! Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen in college football. Why on Earth would anyone cover up for him?

Good question. Maybe there is more to this horrible story.

soonercastor
11/8/2011, 01:46 PM
This is just sickening. He also had a book Touched (http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-Sandusky-Story/product-reviews/1582613575/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1). Makes me want to puke.

Wishboned
11/8/2011, 02:05 PM
Not mine:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316863_10150371321324635_783169634_8467196_1469923 584_n.jpg

Tonight on Dateline: NBC...To Catch a Nittany Lion.

JLEW1818
11/9/2011, 10:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7211281/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-retire-end-season

olevetonahill
11/9/2011, 10:08 AM
Im surprised hes gonna stay that long .

JLEW1818
11/9/2011, 10:12 AM
me 2

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/9/2011, 10:15 AM
imo, Joe Pa needs to leave today.

He's in charge. Then he's accountable.

LVSOONER15
11/9/2011, 10:16 AM
He needs to step down before the end of the season.

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 10:17 AM
I like how they let him say he retired....he's being forced to leave. IMO, that's being fired.....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2011, 10:20 AM
What an embarassment...

olevetonahill
11/9/2011, 10:21 AM
He should be gone TODAY or better yet Yesterday.
Jim Tressle is a better man than Paterno

soonerhubs
11/9/2011, 10:22 AM
So this jerk gets to keep his job and retire on his own terms after allowing some demon to go on ruining lives for years? Got it!

Boomer.....
11/9/2011, 10:28 AM
Penn State trying to let Joe Pa save face. That is why they got into this situation in the first place. They need to step forward and do the right thing immediately.

NormanPride
11/9/2011, 10:30 AM
This should kill recruiting for about a decade...

Breadburner
11/9/2011, 10:39 AM
Lots more blame to go around other than Paterno.....Read the Grand Jury's report......

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 10:41 AM
I will agree he needs to go not based on the 2002 allegations alone because we don't know what the GA told him but Paterno was aware there were problems with Sandusky from before. Sandusky should have had no access to Penn State facilities after his "retirement" and the credibilty that access gave him. That was a huge error in judgement and it should cost JoPa his job.

The GA should be charged with failing to render aid to a child at risk. It is unbelievable a human being could walk away and leave a 10 year old boy in that situation.

olevetonahill
11/9/2011, 10:41 AM
Lots more blame to go around other than Paterno.....Read the Grand Jury's report......

That doesn't Take ANY away from him tho. Just means theres more people involved

btk108
11/9/2011, 10:46 AM
Too little, too late......just go now.

Breadburner
11/9/2011, 10:48 AM
That doesn't Take ANY away from him tho. Just means theres more people involved

No it means the whole system failed....Sandusky was investigated by campus police a state college police detective and the DA decided not to file charges.....All this occured in 1998......

http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/documents/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

CrimsonCommando
11/9/2011, 10:50 AM
The Grand Jury report is 23 pages of horror. Way too many people CAUGHT Sandusky and saw the warning signs and then did NOTHING, including JoePa. If we as a society cannot protect our children when this happens then we are truly morally bankrupt as a people. Furck Penn State's staff and the admins that swept this under the rug. I hope they all get abused in prison. I want JoePa to have to apologize in person to every kid that comes forward and GET FIRED. I hope their program becomes irrlevent for the rest of my lifetime.

OULenexaman
11/9/2011, 10:53 AM
I say keep him for the Corn game...what a firestorm the corn is walking into this weekend. Let him coach 1 last game and smash the corn.

Wishboned
11/9/2011, 11:00 AM
Joe Paterno once said that he couldn't retire and leave college football to the Jackie Sherrills, and the Barry Switzers of the world. Now he'll have to retire in shame because he left the care of young boys in the hands of the Jerry Sanduskys of the world.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2011, 11:04 AM
Speaking of the victims .. "The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them."...

and then ‎" ... Tough life when people do certain things to you, but ...anyway ... (begins pep rally)"..doing Penn State Cheers?

**** you Joe Enabler.

Soonermagik
11/9/2011, 11:30 AM
The longer he stays the more he hurts the university, because everyone will be talking about it with him still there. If I were Penn State I would tell him to resign today or he's fired!! If he knew this was going down... he's a piece of trash.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 11:35 AM
**** JoePa. What a joke of a nickname, in hindsight. He should be fired.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 11:43 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316483_10150369778048542_763158541_8516417_3137168 45_n.jpg

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 11:44 AM
How can a person be so selfish as Joe Pa?
He should have resigned two days ago. But hey this is Penn St, they have a history of taking their time to do the right thing.

freshchris05
11/9/2011, 11:44 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316483_10150369778048542_763158541_8516417_3137168 45_n.jpg
He must be telling him to shut his yap

badger
11/9/2011, 11:48 AM

On the contrary. Their guts look rather large :P

Q: Why is JoePa retiring at the end of the season?
A: So they don't can his arse before the end of the season.

:mad:

JohnnyMack
11/9/2011, 12:00 PM
That Joe Paterno is trying to protect his image in all of this is truly disgusting. He's decided his legacy is more important than doing the right thing. And on Saturday 100,000 people will fill their football stadium and continue to cheer for a man who looked the other way for more than a decade while a monster terrorized children. That there exists a portion of the Penn State fan base that can't see past the JoePa brand and see how vile his failure to act was is mind boggling. I hope the regents fire his *** and never let him lead a team onto the field again.

nighttrain12
11/9/2011, 12:03 PM
Such an ugly, ugly story. I wonder if the Penn State marching band will play any Michael Jackson songs during halftime of Saturday's game?

Apologies .... if anyone already asked that question.

Sooner_Tuf
11/9/2011, 12:03 PM
Why is he retiring? To spend more time with the kids?

badger
11/9/2011, 12:06 PM
That Joe Paterno is trying to protect his image in all of this is truly disgusting. He's decided his legacy is more important than doing the right thing. And on Saturday 100,000 people will fill their football stadium and continue to cheer for a man who looked the other way for more than a decade while a monster terrorized children. That there exists a portion of the Penn State fan base that can't see past the JoePa brand and see how vile his failure to act was is mind boggling. I hope the regents fire his *** and never let him lead a team onto the field again.

I had a bit of a sour face on last night when I saw all of those students on JoePa's lawn showing support on Sportscenter.

Wishboned
11/9/2011, 12:11 PM
It's time for Joe to hit the showers.

And if there was any karmic justice in the world he would end up in a home, get abused by the staff, and have it covered up by the administrator.

BigJerm7
11/9/2011, 12:17 PM
Most 84 year olds cant even drive, and this dude is running a college football program.

He should've saved face and bounced 10 years ago.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 12:18 PM
I had a bit of a sour face on last night when I saw all of those students on JoePa's lawn showing support on Sportscenter.

Sour? I am still disgusted, read the 23 pages online. I realize that college kids are, by and large stupid and far too happy to go along with the crowd, but that was srsly ****ed up.

htownsooner7
11/9/2011, 12:22 PM
JoePa's official statement was that he will continue to pursue the university's interests as long as he is alive. No Joe, you've done enough of preserving the university and athletic department's interests. Those boys needed you, and you failed them in every sense.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/9/2011, 01:26 PM
This should kill recruiting for about a decade...

How much worse could it get.

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/9/2011, 01:29 PM
Have gameday at Penn St. this weekend and let any sign anyone want to take in be allowed to be shown.

OULenexaman
11/9/2011, 01:37 PM
It will not matter where gameday is at.....this will follow them more than that Wazzou flag.

delhalew
11/9/2011, 01:53 PM

That shot my faith in humanity straight to hell.

Wishboned
11/9/2011, 01:57 PM
I don't want to hear anyone saying, "He did a lot of good while he was at Penn State." No. Sometimes the good you do balances out the bad **** you do. But not this. This is a **** up that wipes out everything good you ever did, or ever will do.

From now on he needs to be known as the coach who harbored a pedophile.

delhalew
11/9/2011, 02:00 PM
I hear Joe cried when he broke the news to his team. He's got a lot of bawling to do if he is ever gonna match the tears that children have shed due to their experiences in that very building.

delhalew
11/9/2011, 02:04 PM
I don't want to hear anyone saying, "He did a lot of good while he was at Penn State." No. Sometimes the good you do balances out the bad **** you do. But not this. This is a **** up that wipes out everything good you ever did, or ever will do.

From now on he needs to be known as the coach who harbored a pedophile.

He, McQueery, and every administrator involved should live the rest of their lives as pariahs. Selfish cowards not worth spitting on as you pass by. Hopefully, Sandusky will be tortured to death by inmates.

CrimsonCommando
11/9/2011, 02:11 PM
He, McQueery, and every administrator involved should live the rest of their lives as pariahs. Selfish cowards not worth spitting on as you pass by. Hopefully, Sandusky will be tortured to death by inmates.

^^^^^ This.

StoopTroup
11/9/2011, 02:21 PM
A lot of denial going on up there.

Sandusky is to blame for it all....but those that could have done something and know they didn't....

They will answer for it in this life and the next.

Paterno should get in his vehicle....go Home and enjoy his retirement.

Unbelievable that people are continuing to support Paterno. He really made a bad decision.

OULenexaman
11/9/2011, 02:37 PM
the one thing that puzzles me most is how does this Sandusky guy become wired that way??

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 02:42 PM
This makes me sick. How can anyone support this guy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Paterno-embraces-rallying-students-as-the-walls-?urn=ncaaf-412210

delhalew
11/9/2011, 02:42 PM
the one thing that puzzles me most is how does this Sandusky guy become wired that way??

I don't know, but people like him don't wear signs. The place themselves on positions of trust. Twisted evil can reside in anyone.

I just heard in 2007 Sandusky spoke to the Penn st school of health and human services on...protecting our children...seriously.

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 02:48 PM
What are they going to do about the snitch that caused all the problems?

JUST KIDDING

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 02:49 PM
ZNtchRMC1IY

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 02:51 PM
He should never be able to coach another game. In fact, I think he and the whole lot of them should be indicted legally and then sued personally into oblivion. And he definitely owes Switzer an apology.

badger
11/9/2011, 02:59 PM
What are they going to do about the snitch that caused all the problems?

JUST KIDDING

If they are embracing Paterno, I imagine they vilifying the real victims. If these punks value football more than the wellbeing of children, then I hope Nebrasky hangs a hundred on them, not just a half.

I worry that there's more to this and that is why people are reacting in seeming WTF fashion.

Consider: Susan Smith reportedly killed her boys because her rich ex-boyfriend didn't want to tied down to a girlfriend with kid baggage. Immediately after she accused a car jacker of being the killer and her ex called to console her, what was her reaction? She wanted to know where there relationship stood then. Eff the kids and their murder, can we get back together, Mr. Moneybags?

The way people are reacting to this makes me wonder how many people knew about this sh!t and overlooked it in the name of football. Eff the kids and their molestations! Are we gonna win the Big Ten and go to the Rose Bowl? :mad:

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 03:16 PM
Elsewhere, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45222798/ns/us_news-life/

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 03:20 PM
Mob psychology is a fascinating thing to observe in action.

Joe Paterno should pay for his mistakes by losing his job and taking a hit on his legacy. He screwed up......mainly by passing the buck and not stepping up to the plate by reporting this to the police.

But, I want some of you who want this guy nuked to please tell us if you have been in a similiar situation. Have you ever called DHS or the police about possible sexual or physical abuse of a child? And remember Sandusky had been investigated by the police once before and no charges
had been filed so I am sure that entered into Paterno's mind.

The process of dealing with DHS and the police is very intimidating and stressful even for those trained to do so. Additionally, once you do it you better realized you have justchanged the life of the person you are reporting forever whether the charges are proven true or not.

Paterno made a huge error in judgment. he will pay for it as he should but those of you who have never
been in his position should put away the pitchforks and torches in regards to using them on Paterno.

Sandusky is a sick, sick man.McQuery is a coward of the highest order. Paterno is neither of those things. He is an old man(75 at the time of the 2002 incident)who has made a huge mistake in judgement but does not deserve the scorn and ridicule some of you want to heap on him......especially if you have never been ina position like was in.

Now, lets hear all of those outraged, indignant replies.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 03:31 PM
Uh, ok. Joe Paterno is the most powerful man in Central PA. I doubt that the fear of dealing with the 5-0 or DHS is what kept him from going to the authorities. He is an authority in some ways, fyi. He has a responsibility as a community figurehead to do what is right. ESPECIALLY if it is to protect kids from sickos like sandusky. He was probably thinking of two things, his friend, JS and his "legacy" and how it would stand up to a scandal like this one. He could have been the hero of the day, he pussed out instead. Coach "Does the right thing" is a sham.

badger
11/9/2011, 03:33 PM
Mob psychology is a fasinating thing to observe in action.

Joe Paterno should pay for his mistakes by losing his job and taking a hit on his legacy. He screwed up......mainly by passing the buck and not stepping up to the plate by reporting this to the police.

But, I want some of you who want this guy nuked to please tell us if you have been in a similiar situation. Have you ever called DHS or the police about possible sexual or physical abuse of a child? And remember Sandusky had been investigated by the police once before and no charges had been filed so I am sure that entered into Paterno's mind.

The process of dealing with DHS and the police is very intimidating and stressful even for those trained to do so. Additionally, once you do it you better realized you have just changed the life of the person you are reporting forever whether the charges are proven true or not.

Paterno made a huge error in judgment. he will pay for it as he should but those of you who have never
been in his position should put away the pitchforks and torches in regards to using them on Paterno.

Sandusky is a sick, sick man.McQuery is a coward of the highest order. Paterno is neither of those things. He is an old man(75 at the time of the 2002 incident)who has made a huge mistake in judgement but does not deserve the scorn and ridicule some of you want to heap on him......especially if you have never been ina position like was in.

Paterno was put into this position to be a better person in situations like this because of the position he put himself in, that of a million-dollar-plus annual salary at a large public university in the public eye 24/7 as football coach at a Big Ten program with a 100k+ capacity football stadium. Need I go on?

Of course he's gonna have pitchforks and torches from a national audience! His position is one that has a national audience on a daily basis... and when you take in the love and adoration from the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) with that position, then you also have to take the mob psychology when things go bad... especially when things go THIS bad.

So no, of course none of us were ever in the position JoePa was, nor likely ever will be. Sorry, but I find you asking us to be less outraged and indignant based on the fact that we are not million-dollar college football coaches not turning in a pedophile... well, illogical.

CowboyMRW
11/9/2011, 03:35 PM
You call a woman who like younger boys a cougar... Then do you call a man who like younger boys a nittany lion?

badger
11/9/2011, 03:37 PM
You call a woman who like younger boys a cougar... Then do you call a man who like younger boys a nittany lion?

Maybe now they will. How embarrassing.

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 03:37 PM
Sandusky is a sick, sick man.McQuery is a coward of the highest order. Paterno is neither of those things. He is an old man(75 at the time of the 2002 incident)who has made a huge mistake in judgement but does not deserve the scorn and ridicule some of you want to heap on him...
So, he knew his DC was a pedophile but never called the police even after McQuery caught him raping a boy in the shower and told him? And let him keep hanging around the facilities up until last week with boys? Don't know how anybody can give this guy a pass. Don't care how old he was/is. He deserves to go to prison IMHO. Think about all the subsequent molestations he could've stopped over the past 9 years. His legacy should be the least of his worries at this point. You have kids?

delhalew
11/9/2011, 03:41 PM
Sorry Fan, Joe P owns everything about that program. He turned his back on at risk children in the interest of his programs image.

The good guys lost.

badger
11/9/2011, 03:42 PM
So, he knew his DC was a pedophile but never called the police even after McQuery caught him raping a boy in the shower and told him? And let him keep hanging around the facilities up until last week with boys? Don't know how anybody can give this guy a pass. Don't care how old he was/is. He deserves to go to prison IMHO. Think about all the subsequent molestations he could've stopped over the past 9 years. His legacy should be the least of his worries at this point. You have kids?

You are probably permanently red, but I gave you a bit of green just cuz :)

SoonerMom2
11/9/2011, 03:44 PM

I couldn't believe all those students. Made you ill -- wonder what lamebrain organized the event?

limey_sooner
11/9/2011, 03:45 PM

So what you are expecting me to believe is a man who has enough energy and awareness to run a major college football program doesn't have enough energy and awareness to report the rape of a child to the police? Is that about it?

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 03:49 PM
I'm also tired of JoePa saying "pray for the victims...". That hypocrite didn't lift a hand to help them.

limey_sooner
11/9/2011, 03:50 PM
I'm also tired of JoePa saying "pray for the victims...". That hypocrite didn't lift a hand to help them.

I'm sure he says this prayer right after he prays that the victims and families don't have good lawyers.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2011, 03:51 PM
Those kids would have appreciated his protection more than prayers..

OULenexaman
11/9/2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know, but people like him don't wear signs. The place themselves on positions of trust. Twisted evil can reside in anyone.

I just heard in 2007 Sandusky spoke to the Penn st school of health and human services on...protecting our children...seriously. damn.....it just dawned on me that Mack Brown fits this profile.:abnormal:

badger
11/9/2011, 03:52 PM
I know it's easy to cast judgmental eyes from thousands of miles away from Pennsylvania watching this scene from a distance and that he without sin should cast the first stone... but really, this should be an easy judgment to make: Child molestation = BAD. Preventing child molestation = GOOD.

I also know that people should be innocent till proven guilty... but you can't help but watch those that claim innocence not acting like innocent people thus far.

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 03:55 PM
I'm sure he says this prayer right after he prays that the victims and families don't have good lawyers.
Yeah, he should be funneling his money to the Caribbean at this point.

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 03:56 PM
@FaninAma .....I have never witnessed anything like this before. I can't think of anything even close. If I were to walk into a place and saw a Man having intercourse with a child......Uh...I would have STOPPED the act in anyway I could. Helped the Child. Called the Police. I think any decent person would have done those things.

sooneredaco
11/9/2011, 04:01 PM
Mob psychology is a fasinating thing to observe in action.

But, I want some of you who want this guy nuked to please tell us if you have been in a similiar situation. Have you ever called DHS or the police about possible sexual or physical abuse of a child? And remember Sandusky had been investigated by the police once before and no charges

The process of dealing with DHS and the police is very intimidating and stressful even for those trained to do so. Additionally, once you do it you better realized you have justchanged the life of the person you are reporting forever whether the charges are proven true or not.

Not an outraged or indignant reply here. Just wanna say that this is perhaps the dumbest post that I personally have ever seen. Yea that old fart is one of the most powerful men in football and lives his day around aggressive men ready to smash some heads. I'm sure DHS and the big bad police would have been a very scary thing for him.... Very dumb comment IMO

badger
11/9/2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, he should be funneling his money to the Caribbean at this point.

Perhaps the director of The Piano movie can tell the alleged molester how to get political asylum in a foreign country while maintaining their lifestyle and escaping prison time. Penn State students and the Oscars could issue them awards for distinction in their fields via video satellite. Then Whoopi could talk on "The View" on how it wasn't "rape-rape" and they both should be pardoned and allowed to return to the U.S. and not face charges. They both allegedly happened a long time ago, y'know?

:mad:

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 04:02 PM
And he should suffer the consequences of losing his job and a huge black mark on his legacy. No argument from me. What I draw the line on is completely trashing the man and discreding any of the good things he has done in his career. Comparing his actions to Sandusky's actions is just stupid.

And it really pizzes me off to read people spouting off about what he should and shouldn't have done when they have never been in his position.

The answers I would like to have is what information the campus police had in their 1998 investigation and why they made the decision they made then. And I would like to know exactly what McQuery told Paterno. Did he downplay what he saw? Did he express any doubts about what he saw?

A lot of you just need to chill TFO and let more information come out about what happened in regards to Paterno and his actions in 2002.

I'll at least let those about to be strung up give their version of the details before I help slip the noose around their necks.

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Roman Polanski. I agree.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/9/2011, 04:07 PM
Well you are making a big assumption that no one else has ever been in his position when maybe some of us have and that's why we are outraged...

JLEW1818
11/9/2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, Roman Polanski. I agree.

shut up whorn

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 04:09 PM
Soonerdaco, you have not heard a word of Paterno's version of what he was told. And i really don't give a sh*t what you think about my post. I think mob mentality and those who follow the mob rush to judgement are morons.

Your's and other's chest thumping and bravado from the safety of your computer make me laugh. Call us when you have dealt first hand with a situation like this and we can all judge if you did exactly what we think you should have.

olevetonahill
And he should suffer the consequences of losing his job and a huge black mark on his legacy. No argument from me. What I draw the line on is completely trashing the man and discreding any of the good things he has done in his career. Comparing his actions to Sandusky's actions is just stupid.

And it really pizzes me off to read people spouting off about what he should and shouldn't have done when they have never been in his position.

The answers I would like to have is what information the campus police had in their 1998 investigation and why they made the decision they made then. And I would like to know exactly what McQuery told Paterno. Did he downplay what he saw? Did he express any doubts about what he saw?

A lot of you just need to chill TFO and let more information come out about what happened in regards to Paterno and his actions in 2002.

I'll at least let those about to be strung up give their version of the details before I help slip the noose around their necks.

The PSU Pres. is being Forced to resign today. Payerno should already be gone .
I dont think anyone here is saying he should face criminal charges , But He should definitely be charge with endangerment.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=nfp-20111109_report_penn_state_president_will_be_gone_ by_end_of_day

Herr Scholz

Really? If I knew that a 60-year old man was being sexual with a 10-year old boy in the shower (regardless of the details), I would call the police. Hope I'm never in that position but don't think it would be a head scratcher on what to do. Any decent human being would know what to do. I certainly wouldn't condone him hanging around as a subordinate for 9 more years to continue his crimes.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 04:11 PM
Apparently, the board isn't meeting until Friday (WTF? How about meeting yesterday!?). I suspect JoPa is gone after they meet.

About the pep rally that showed up at his home last night, Jay Bilas (ESPN College Hoops guy) said it best:

(paraphrase)
"I suspect that this weekends game will turn into a pep rally for Paterno, which is unfortunate. And someday, all those cheering for him will look back and be embarrassed."

I agree with Bilas. I get that the fans see Paterno as some kind of football God, but this crosses every line imaginable. Everyone that had any knowledge of these incidents needs to be gone, now.

stoops the eternal pimp
THe old ****er was leading a pep rally on his front lawn last night...

Herr Scholz
I dont think anyone here is saying he should face criminal charges...
I am.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 04:13 PM
Really? If I knew that a 60-year old man was being sexual with a 10-year old boy in the shower (regardless of the details), I would call the police. Hope I'm never in that position but don't think it would be a head scratcher on what to do. Any decent human being would know what to do. I certainly wouldn't condone him hanging around as a subordinate for 9 more years to continue his crimes.

I have to agree with Scholz here. There is no amount of explaining that makes it okay to have knowledge of these incidents and not take action. A lot of lives have been permanently ruined by the actions of Sandusky. Who knows how many may have been saved if just one person stood up and said something.

olevetonahill
I am.
Yea I guess I did to when I said he should at least face Child endangerment

badger
Soonerdaco, you have not heard a word of Paterno's version of what he was told. And i really don't give a sh*t what you think about my post. I think mob mentality and those who follow the mob rush to judgement are morons.

Your's and other's chest thumping and bravado from the safety of your computer make me laugh. Call us when you have dealt first hand with a situation like this and we can all judge if you did exactly what we think you should have.

Be nice. Please don't judge other posters until you have been in their position of posting on a football forum and speaking about football topics to hundreds of football fans ;)

ouflak
11/9/2011, 04:14 PM

I guess I have been a similar situation sort of. I and my brother were physically abused as children, not sexually, but physically and more than often enough. But I was child. I had no way knowing how to protect my brother or who to tell. If some adult like McQuery or Paterno could have been in a position to stop that from happening to me and brother, I would have been absolutely dependent on them take the actions to make that stop. I barely understood what was happening to me and why. And I don't think any of those children, who were depending on McQuery and Paterno and others to take the bold steps necessary, had any better facilities than I did.

So you want you an outraged indignant reply, fine. Those f*ckers should fry. Paterno and the whole lot of them should be gone NOW. And anybody who defends them and their actions or lack thereof is disgusting.

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 04:15 PM
So Herr, what punishment besides Paterno losing his job and retiring in disgrace would you want inflicted upon Paterno? How many pounds of flesh do you want taken from him?

A man's life and accomplishments should not be judged on a mistake in judgement. He made a big mistake, in retrospect, and he will pay for that mistake. There is no need to heap massive ridicule on an 84 year old man.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2011, 04:26 PM
So Herr, what punishment besides Paterno losing his job and retiring in disgrace would you want inflicted upon Paterno? How many pounds of flesh do you want taken from him?

A man's life and accomplishments should not be judged on a mistake in judgement. He made a big mistake, in retrospect, and he will pay for that mistake. There is no need to heap massive ridicule on an 84 year old man.

I'm not saying he should have "massive ridcule" heaped on him, but he should be fired and should not be allowed to resign on his own terms.

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 04:29 PM

A "mistake in judgement" is when you run a red light, drink and drive, rob a store, etc etc.....When you know a person is raping and molesting little kids is something far worse than a "mistake in judgement".

At the very least he should be charged with Child Endangerment.

badger
11/9/2011, 04:30 PM

His age should not give him a pass on doing the right thing, especially when his age has not kept him from being head football coach at Penn State.

WileyCoyote
11/9/2011, 04:40 PM
This probably is for another thread but everytime I start recounting the reported events it pops into my head.

I just dont get the part about the grad assistant (McQuery?) first hand seeing Sandusky violating this kid and then apparently not doing anything. I can't fathom that.

So he is peeking around the corner, watches the sorrid deed, slips off to contemplate it and then tells JP?

Man, if that's the case.... I mean the perpetrator could have died from injuries sustained after slipping in the shower on a bar of soap or something? Right?

Judas priest, where was "rescue the kid at your own jeopardy" in this, even if it means you loose your job or go to jail...

Sorry for the off topic, but I had to get this out....

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 04:42 PM
I'm not a lawyer. He should be held legally accountable for his inaction though. Child endargement, failure to report, whatever. And his age is not an excuse to me.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 04:42 PM
A "mistake in judgement" is when you run a red light, drink and drive, rob a store, etc etc.....When you know a person is raping and molesting little kids is something far worse than a "mistake in judgement".

THIS ^. & I may not even totally agree about the being charged part. Face it, the geezer is probably going to have the **** sued out of him by everyone since the 02 incident that was raped. THAT and being fired, he deserves...
The sad thing is, Golic was talking this AM about how the PSU fans should just be fans for the players for 3 hours on Sat. Bull****, if they are anywhere near the disgust that I have, they should burn their tickets to the game if Joe & the McQueery puss are coaching. The seniors playing their last home game should hopefully understand and not get their feelers hurt by lack of support for them. They are men, afterall and life isn't always fair. Especially, when you are *** raped by a POS like Sandusky.

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 04:53 PM

I hope my attorney does not alienate me from the jury by explaining that my robbery a store (if that ever happens) was just a mistake in judgement.

FaninAma
11/9/2011, 04:57 PM
Badger, I appreciate your humor. I have been in the postion to have to make these accusations with both DHS and the police. i have been to court regarding the accusations i made. And I can tell you even when the evidence is overwhelming you still think about what you are about to do to the person on the other end, his family and everybody he is connected with. I would wish this responsibility on no one. It is the most stressful part of my job.

The overriding concern is for the victims and that is why you err on the side of the victim.

But I have also seen the devestation of what happens when someone is wrongly accused.
(Not by me, thank god.)

It is just a tough, tough situation even for someone trained to do this. And Paterno is not trained in this area. He should have been more aggressive in retrospect but we have the clarity of hindsight but we are not privy to the conversation between McQuery and Paterno.

I see instances of physicians who are terrified of calling DHS in instances where they should and pass the buck to me. I am certainly not going to bury an old man who didn't exactly follow the DHS handbook on this and totally trash his whole life and career for this mistake.

Sandusky, if convicted(and the evidence looks overwhelming)deserves everything that happens to him. McQuery will have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life. Paterno does not deserve to painted with the same moral brush as those 2 individuals. There is no moral equivalency in what he did and what they did.

Paterno will pay a heavy price for his actions. I find no need to totally destroy the man over this because I have a little different perspective of the situation he found himself in.

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 05:06 PM
.......Judas priest, where was "rescue the kid at your own jeopardy" in this, even if it means you loose your job or go to jail...

Sorry for the off topic, but I had to get this out....

Kinda like the sanctimonious lawyers that left an innocent man rot in jail for 20 years because they could not violate attorney-client privlege and lose their license. Look at me, I'm an ethical monkey and can't do anything else but bullsh*t.

Sorry for the off topic, but I had to get this out....:)

delhalew
11/9/2011, 05:07 PM
It's pretty ****ing simple. If he coaches Saturday, Penn st is sending a horrible message.

In fact, an interim AD should hire an interim coaching staff to trot a team out. No one on that staff, especially McQueney, should be allowed to see the field again.

The last thing Penn st should be worried about right now, is football. One person in the stands Saturday is too many. It would be a good opportunity to have a memorial service for our nations conscience.

Penn st football...built on the broken souls of children...enjoy.

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 05:12 PM
It is just a tough, tough situation even for someone trained to do this. And Paterno is not trained in this area. He should have been more aggressive in retrospect but we have the clarity of hindsight but we are not privy to the conversation between McQuery and Paterno

McQuery- "Coach I just witnessed Sandusky having intercourse with a young child in the shower"
Paterno- "Are you sure. It's awful steamy in there"
McQuery- "Well that is true"
Paterno- "Let's just keep this to ourselves for right now"
McQuery- "Alright Coach. I really love my job"
Paterno- "So do I kid. That's why we need to keep this quiet for now"
McQuery- "I love you JoePa"

badger
11/9/2011, 05:13 PM
Paterno will pay a heavy price for his actions. I find no need to totally destroy the man over this because I have a little different perspective of the situation he found himself in.

I have no doubt that the fact that I am a chick makes me dislike child abusers, even just those accused of it, a bit more. And have a bit more disdain for those who seem to be supporting those who allowed child abuse, even those just accused of it.

I also have no doubt that personal feelings are weighing greatly on those who seem to be rushing to judgment here... people who have been abused themselves, people who knew others who were abused among their families or friend circles, or just people who have kids.

As such, it's hard to both ask people not to judge, as hard as it is to judge others. It is a highly, highly emotional issue, so it's hard for me to even slip in a bit of humor or sarcasm.

So please, before you get too hard on people, remember that they, too, might have faced difficult situations in their lives that might be causing them to react as they are, even if it seems a bit rush-to-judgment on their part. :)

Mississippi Sooner
11/9/2011, 05:19 PM
We Are...State Pen

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 05:23 PM
Kinda like the sanctimonious lawyers that left an innocent man rot in jail for 20 years because they could not violate attorney-client privlege and lose their license. Look at me, I'm an ethical monkey and can't do anything else but bullsh*t.

Sorry for the off topic, but I had to get this out....:)

Everyone in jail is innocent.....according to themselves. If he went through the trial, he probably proclaimed is innocence the entire time. It's not like after he's sentenced the judge goes to the lawyer and asks, "Now, was he really innocent?"....this is why we have trial by jury in the first place....Don't blame lawyers for an innocent man going to prison, blame the court system. Considering how many guilty people go free because of lack of evidence, there sure are a ton of innocent people that get sent to prison, I'm assuming with lack of evidence....because they didn't do it.

delhalew
11/9/2011, 05:27 PM
Look, if someone says "maybe I might have seen coach doing something wierd with a kid...or maybe it was an aardvark...I don't know coach, I did a bunch of PCP last night, and I'm still working out the kinks."

My response to that will be to be absolutely certain nothing happened. If that person remains, I will be watching. He is far more likely to be caught next time.

I know myself. That is not my guess of what I might do. I know how seriously I would take the possibility of that happening in the house that I BUILT!

JoePa calls ALL the shots at that place. Why do you suppose he made Sandusky chose between his charity and heir to throne? He knew damn well what that charity was about, but he wasn't gonna let Penn st take the PR hit.

Whoops...my bad.

MsProudSooner
11/9/2011, 05:31 PM
I know teachers who are afraid to give their students a hug because they've been advised not to show too much affection to their students for fear that it would be misinterpreted.

Forty years ago, a friend of my sister's was sexually abused by a respected person in our small town. Her life has been a hell that she didn't in the least bit deserve.

I know things can be misconstrued but based on the descriptions I've read, it's hard to fathom that McCreary didn't know exactly what was going on. As some one said, McCreary was 6'4" and a strong, imposing young man. I can't understand how he could leave that boy with Sandusky. I can't understand how he could keep from calling the police after he figured out the powers that be weren't going to do anything. I really find it hard to believe that he didn't convey exactly what he saw to JoePa. It just sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 05:37 PM
Everyone in jail is innocent.....according to themselves. If he went through the trial, he probably proclaimed is innocence the entire time. It's not like after he's sentenced the judge goes to the lawyer and asks, "Now, was he really innocent?"....this is why we have trial by jury in the first place....Don't blame lawyers for an innocent man going to prison, blame the court system. Considering how many guilty people go free because of lack of evidence, there sure are a ton of innocent people that get sent to prison, I'm assuming with lack of evidence....because they didn't do it.

You don't read newspapers or watch TV do you. That was NOT THE CASE.

btk108
11/9/2011, 05:38 PM
Sounds like JoePa can come to Oklahoma and get a job with DHS.

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 05:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/University-of-Pennsylvania-students-upset-with-New-York-Times-for-confusing-school-with-Penn-State-110911

A paper setting the record straight. :D

"Penn is a private, Ivy League school in Philadelphia founded by Benjamin Franklin. Penn State is a land-grant institution 150 miles away in State College that receives some public funds."

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 05:49 PM
You don't read newspapers or watch TV do you. That was NOT THE CASE.

I don't even know what you're talking about. You were talking about a specific case? And no I don't watch the news, it's either sad or stupid....or both.....

cccasooner2
11/9/2011, 06:21 PM
I don't even know what you're talking about. You were talking about a specific case? And no I don't watch the news, it's either sad or stupid....or both.....

It was within the last year I believe. Two lawyers knew their client confessed with appropriate details to another crime that someone else was convicted of. Because of attorney-client privlege and the possibility/fact they would lose their licenses if they divulged this to the proper channels, they waited until their client died before revealing this. Meanwhile the guy wrongly convicted rots in prison for 20 years. The two lawyers viewed themselves as heroes because they did the right thing. Ethics in their view was all about "me".

BeaSooner
11/9/2011, 06:46 PM
I don't know why everyone is all over Joe Paterno for this. Afterall, he can't be responsible for another man's actions. My guess is that when Sandusky retired (you know, pretty much after the first (allegedly) time he was investigated for being a perv) that it was pretty much taken care of. I mean, if the coach wasn't around and part of the program, then that fixes everything, right? If Sandusky is fondling and raping those kids in that program, that isn't the University's concern. Someone else needs to deal with that. And I bet when McQueary came to him with some unpleasant news about good 'ole Sandusky a couple of years later, he figured it he needed to turn it over to his boss. I mean, it really isn't his responsibility to actually intervene or be concerned with something like that. Afterall, what could he possibly do about it? I mean, the kid hadn't come forward and told authorities. That 's for somebody else to worry about. How can he possibly be responsible for that 10-y.o. kid?

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 06:50 PM

It was within the last year I believe. Two lawyers knew their client confessed with appropriate details to another crime that someone else was convicted of. Because of attorney-client privlege and the possibility/fact they would lose their licenses if they divulged this to the proper channels, they waited until their client died before revealing this. Meanwhile the guy wrongly convicted rots in prison for 20 years. The two lawyers viewed themselves as heroes because they did the right thing. Ethics in their view was all about "me".
That's a ****ed up situation to be sure...

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 07:16 PM
I don't know why everyone is all over Joe Paterno for this. Afterall, he can't be responsible for another man's actions. My guess is that when Sandusky retired (you know, pretty much after the first (allegedly) time he was investigated for being a perv) that it was pretty much taken care of. I mean, if the coach wasn't around and part of the program, then that fixes everything, right? If Sandusky is fondling and raping those kids in that program, that isn't the University's concern. Someone else needs to deal with that. And I bet when McCreary came to him with some unpleasant news about good 'ole Sandusky a couple of years later, he figured it he needed to turn it over to his boss. I mean, it really isn't his responsibility to actually intervene or be concerned with something like that. Afterall, what could he possibly do about it? I mean, the kid hadn't come forward and told authorities. That 's for somebody else to worry about. How can he possibly be responsible for that 10-y.o. kid?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or not. I hope you are.

En_Fuego
11/9/2011, 07:17 PM
I know this is already in the hands of lawyers. As a University I would be looking for a better way out.

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 08:09 PM
we are not privy to the conversation between McQuery and Paterno...
I guess I just don't get your persepective. He knew a 60-year old man was sexing up a 10-year old kid in the shower. And he passed the buck. And never followed up. And let the guy continue for 9 more years doing the same sh*t.

Sandusky, if convicted(and the evidence looks overwhelming)deserves everything that happens to him. McQuery will have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life. Paterno does not deserve to painted with the same moral brush as those 2 individuals. There is no moral equivalency in what he did and what they did.

Paterno and McQuery are both culpable with their inaction. I just have to disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

LiveLaughLove
11/9/2011, 08:47 PM
Paterno should not be allowed to resign. They should insist on publicly firing him immediately, just like they are doing to everyone else involved. McQuery should be terminated and not allowed to coach again (if he still is).

Paterno's name should be stricken from the records for the university and the NCAA (cue the picture of pharoah pointing at Chuck Heston).

I know its a different world we live in, but I dont understand why McQuery didnt beat the crap out of Sandusky, drag his unconscious naked body outside and THEN call the cops to haul him off is beyond me.

I hope all of the boys molested by this creep end up owning Penn State.

A Sooner in Texas
11/9/2011, 08:56 PM

I completely agree with Herr and others that JoePa also should face criminal charges of child endangerment...one for each and every child Sandusky molested after JoePa knew the first time. And of course his life and accomplishments shoud be judged on his failure to help protect young children. In fact, they should be null and void. He should be ridiculed.

That enough outrage for ya?

Soonerfan88
11/9/2011, 09:07 PM
<sigh> Now why do you folks have to make me agree with a whorn?

I don't have to hear a recording of the conversation between McQuery and Paterno to know they both had a responsible to take further action. McQuery because he actually saw the rape and Paterno because he has now been told of two similar occurrences 4 years apart involving the same person in the same place by two different people that have no association with each other. That should immediately raise red flags and warrant a full investigation, especially since he was concerned enough the first time to fire the guy. There is no rationalization for both McQuery and Paterno to silently sit back and let Sandusky continue to have access and opportunity to molest more young boys. That is called enabling and certainly makes them culpable.

Also, finally brought myself to read the grand jury info and put just as much blame on all the janitorial staff that ignored their duty as well.

BeaSooner
11/9/2011, 09:17 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or not. I hope you are.

I thought it was obvious, but maybe not. I am sickened by the lack of personal responsibility in this situation. All you have to do it turn it around. What would Paterno, McQueary, the AD, the janitorial staff, everyone involved want someone else to do if that was THEIR kid in that shower? I don't know how they can live with themselves.

Soonerfan88
11/9/2011, 09:19 PM
Sorry to post back to back but just found this latest bombshell. Dept of Ed is investigating now and it could affect PSU's federal student aid.

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-investigate-penn-states-handling-sexual-misconduct-alleg

mdklatt
11/9/2011, 09:28 PM
I know its a different world we live in, but I dont understand why McQuery didnt beat the crap out of Sandusky, drag his unconscious naked body outside and THEN call the cops to haul him off is beyond me.

We all like to think this is what we'd do, but I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure how I'd react. That would be such a ****ed up situation so far outside of my experience I don't know how I would react in the moment. What would you do if you saw your father--or your grandfather--assaulting a 10-year-old boy like that? I think my mind might be so completely blown that my immediate reaction would be shock followed by denial.

I'm not excusing McQuery's behavior, just trying to find an explanation for it.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 09:40 PM
I don't know why everyone is all over Joe Paterno for this. Afterall, he can't be responsible for another man's actions. My guess is that when Sandusky retired (you know, pretty much after the first (allegedly) time he was investigated for being a perv) that it was pretty much taken care of. I mean, if the coach wasn't around and part of the program, then that fixes everything, right? If Sandusky is fondling and raping those kids in that program, that isn't the University's concern. Someone else needs to deal with that. And I bet when McCreary came to him with some unpleasant news about good 'ole Sandusky a couple of years later, he figured it he needed to turn it over to his boss. I mean, it really isn't his responsibility to actually intervene or be concerned with something like that. Afterall, what could he possibly do about it? I mean, the kid hadn't come forward and told authorities. That 's for somebody else to worry about. How can he possibly be responsible for that 10-y.o. kid?

I wrote a scathing reply, then I realized you were being sarcastic. This story got my blood boiling.

SoonerMom2
11/9/2011, 09:42 PM
Board of Regents press conference at 9:00 cst tonight!

sooneron
11/9/2011, 09:43 PM
I'm going to put on the tin-foil hat just because some things are not sitting all too well with me at the moment. Most of this centers around McQueary and a little around ole Joe Pa.
Mike was a grad ***'t at the time that this happened and had sorta flunked out of the neffel after he left PSU in 98. He was a qb that I cannot recall, whatsoever... Whatevs...
Anywho, he was a grad assistant when the incident happened in the showers of the Spring of 02. He has been a member of the coaching staff for 8 years according to the PSU AD site. That means he was on staff during the abysmal years when they sucked in 03 and 04, right? He's the recruiting coordinator and has not really seen any success in that dep't since supposedly 08 (according to the site). Of course one of the best receivers on their roster in recent years was a walk on. I only say this to point out that maybe he isn't very good. Lord knows they haven't had a qb since when?

My point is, what if Ole Joe isn't the sweet old guy that made an "oopsie" like so many are giving him the benefit of the doubt as doing? This kid was Joe's eyes and mouth on the sidelines whenever he was not able to be on the sidelines of late. He was running the offense - Joe's supposed forte'.
Here's what triggered the "my that is kind of odd" thought that I had earlier..

How many grad assistants stay around that long and reach a decent position without leaving for a bit to stretch their wings? Have we ever had a grad assistant move into coach and then into such a prolific position here? I might possibly be missing someone, but I see GAs moving around all the time to be position coaches at other schools - lesser schools. What if his ascension was some sort of pay off for keeping his mouth shut? What if Joe isn't the decent dude that he's made out to be by all around him? Was there more of a cover up whereby promises were made to this kid?

Just curious.

guzziguy
11/9/2011, 09:43 PM

Well, you asked so, yes, I have.
I'm a public school administrator. A few months into my first superintendency I received word that one of my 4th grade students had received a rather severe beating at home before school that morning. This 4th grader was responsible at home for getting 3 younger children up for school, getting them dressed and preparing any breakfast they may get before coming to school. Apparently the kids had been too noisy that morning and "dad" (actually mom's doper shack job) had grabbed her by the throat and slammed her backward against the wall.
I interviewed the child myself. The process took a while and the child expressed fear that word may get back to mom and doper. In her words, "They'll kill me."
She had the bruises to back her story.
I notified DHS. Surprisingly the DHS investigator showed up quite quickly. After looking the situation over the investigator and interviewing all of the kids the DHS investigator and I became convinced that the home was full of drugs that were used in front of the children and was quite violent. The investigator called law enforcement.
After another longer that necessary interview process the officer left to get a search warrant for the home. He assured me he'd be back before the end of the school day. He wasn't.
the kids were more than terrified. Even the smallest of them told me, "We're dead."
I took the kids into my office with the DHS investigator and locked them in there. As I did so I assured the children that they would not be going to their house tonight. If nothing else was arranged, they would be going home with me. Was I within my legal right to say that? Absolutely not. I was however within my moral right. The relief on the children's faces was heartbreaking. Even now I wonder how awful must a child's life be that they'd show such comfort from being told they would not be going home to their mother.
Mom soon arrived. I told her there had been a "problem" reported and that the kids were in a secure place where they would stay until law enforcement arrived. She stomped off to get her "husband."
I had my secretary make a 911 call requesting assistance. A second officer soon arrived. I briefed him on the situation and explained specifically that if he had any intention of giving the kids to mom or "dad" he should just go ahead and handcuff me now.
All this time I was thinking, wow, what a short career as an administrator this was.
Thankfully, he contacted headquarters and was informed the officer #1 was in route back to the school with a court's order to take the children into protective custody and a search warrant for the home.
Yes, there were drugs. As far as I know the children have still not been returned.
Looking back, I know that if I had not been an advocate for the kids
1. The DHS investigator would have "opened a case" that may or may not have gotten the kids help quickly.
2. The original officer would not have pushed for state custody of the kids.
3. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if the kids had gone home and been harmed after trusting me with their story.
4. I'd put my freedom and career on the line again tomorrow to save kids from a similar situation.
5. Every adult who failed those kids deserve to be fired and a reserved seat in the hottest part of hell.

jkjsooner
11/9/2011, 09:44 PM

Why would you post what you did if you didn't have the first clue what he was talking about?

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 09:47 PM
Paterno should do jail time. I heard that loud mouth Al eschback whine on air, why are people criticizing Paterno and not talking about Sundusky more.
That's because Sundusky is the devil incarnate, and will have a terrible end. That's obvious and settled. We're also not talking a lot about the coward McQueery because he is a coward and spineless person. He isn't worth it.

But Paterno was the symbol of "doing it right." He was the law in State Penn, and he should have put a stop to it.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 09:51 PM
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 09:57 PM
Apparently, the Penn State Board of Trustees are meeting and expected to hold a press conference soon...

A Sooner in Texas
11/9/2011, 09:59 PM
Well, you asked so, yes, I have.
I'm a public school administrator. A few months into my first superintendency I received word that one of my 4th grade students had received a rather severe beating at home before school that morning. This 4th grader was responsible at home for getting 3 younger children up for school, getting them dressed and preparing any breakfast they may get before coming to school. Apparently the kids had been too noisy that morning and "dad" (actually mom's doper shack job) had grabbed her by the throat and slammed her backward against the wall.
I interviewed the child myself. The process took a while and the child expressed fear that word may get back to mom and doper. In her words, "They'll kill me."
She had the bruises to back her story.
I notified DHS. Surprisingly the DHS investigator showed up quite quickly. After looking the situation over the investigator and interviewing all of the kids the DHS investigator and I became convinced that the home was full of drugs that were used in front of the children and was quite violent. The investigator called law enforcement.
After another longer that necessary interview process the officer left to get a search warrant for the home. He assured me he'd be back before the end of the school day. He wasn't.
the kids were more than terrified. Even the smallest of them told me, "We're dead."
I took the kids into my office with the DHS investigator and locked them in there. As I did so I assured the children that they would not be going to their house tonight. If nothing else was arranged, they would be going home with me. Was I within my legal right to say that? Absolutely not. I was however within my moral right. The relief on the children's faces was heartbreaking. Even now I wonder how awful must a child's life be that they'd show such comfort from being told they would not be going home to their mother.
Mom soon arrived. I told her there had been a "problem" reported and that the kids were in a secure place where they would stay until law enforcement arrived. She stomped off to get her "husband."
I had my secretary make a 911 call requesting assistance. A second officer soon arrived. I briefed him on the situation and explained specifically that if he had any intention of giving the kids to mom or "dad" he should just go ahead and handcuff me now.
All this time I was thinking, wow, what a short career as an administrator this was.
Thankfully, he contacted headquarters and was informed the officer #1 was in route back to the school with a court's order to take the children into protective custody and a search warrant for the home.
Yes, there were drugs. As far as I know the children have still not been returned.
Looking back, I know that if I had not been an advocate for the kids
1. The DHS investigator would have "opened a case" that may or may not have gotten the kids help quickly.
2. The original officer would not have pushed for state custody of the kids.
3. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if the kids had gone home and been harmed after trusting me with their story.
4. I'd put my freedom and career on the line again tomorrow to save kids from a similar situation.
5. Every adult who failed those kids deserve to be fired and a reserved seat in the hottest part of hell.

What you did was phenomenal. Of course, it was just the right thing to do, but so many people would not do it...as evidenced by what's going on at State Penn.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 10:01 PM
If I were Pelini, I'd run up the score, and not even shake JoePa's hand at the end of the game.

badger
11/9/2011, 10:05 PM
If I were Pelini, I'd run up the score, and not even shake JoePa's hand at the end of the game.

Hopefully JoePa won't be there. Some might think that JoePa deserves to go out on his terms. He gave up that right by not doing the right thing when he first heard about the monster's behavior. He admits that he should have done more. He admits that he didn't. End of story, get him out of there. Now.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:09 PM
Hopefully JoePa won't be there. Some might think that JoePa deserves to go out on his terms. He gave up that right by not doing the right thing when he first heard about the monster's behavior. He admits that he should have done more. He admits that he didn't. End of story, get him out of there. Now.

That's what has me pissed off. He's still trying to do this on his terms. Like you said, he forfeited that right when he chose to do the wrong thing.

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:12 PM
anyone get the 10 PM EST PSU BOTs press conference? Chatter is that JoePa will not coach another game.

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:14 PM
yep....that dude just got fired.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:14 PM
Just heard the Penn State Board of Trustees press conference. Effective today, he's out.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2011, 10:15 PM
Good.

landrun
11/9/2011, 10:15 PM
On ESPN too... they interrupted the game for the special announcement.

nighttrain12
11/9/2011, 10:17 PM
Good, now he can spend more time with his grandkids and great-grandkids and also their friends.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 10:17 PM
[Al Eschback voice] SsseeYaaaa!!![Al Eschback voice]

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:18 PM
good

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:19 PM
that athletic department is f'd either way

sooneron
http://necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/donald-trump.jpeg

LiveLaughLove
Awesomeness. Was hoping for this.

StoopTroup
I think it's hard to say whether DHS did the right thing anymore. A Mother here in Tulsa was reported and she killed her Daughter and then herself.

As far as I know there are a lot of kids in counseling over it now.

Reporting it is the best thing to do however. With so many "At Risk" kids these days...we should report things especially things that have a Coach in a one on one situation with a minor child that's not his own. Paterno should have known the rules as well as the GA should have known. If the GA reported it to Joe...he knew he'd seen something that was wrong.

Joe needs to pack up his office tonight.

BeaSooner
11/9/2011, 10:20 PM
For a situation that is so so wrong; finally, doing something right.

Serge Ibaka
11/9/2011, 10:21 PM
Very good.

Did anybody see Herbstreit on (Sportscenter?) TV arguing that the Penn State shouldn't make any "knee-jerk reactions" and that JP should be allowed to coach versus Nebraska. WTF was that?

okiedokie
11/9/2011, 10:21 PM
what a weird way to go out.....but they made the right decision

LVSOONER15
11/9/2011, 10:22 PM
Thought it would happen soon. That seemed weird that he would finish out the season.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 10:22 PM
First right move Penn St has made in a long while.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 10:23 PM
WTF was that?
I wonder if he'd be so philosophical if one of his boys was in the shower with Sandusky.

salth2o
11/9/2011, 10:23 PM
WWJoPaD? Obviously not call the police.

A..M..F. Never liked ya anyway.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 10:25 PM
The media is chewing this board member guy to piece.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:27 PM
what a weird way to go out.....but they made the right decision

No kidding. The last guy in the world (of college football) that I would ever have associated with something like this.

I haven't heard what they're doing for the coaching staff, but I'm sure there are coaches that are newer to the staff, that had no idea what had gone on. I can't help but feel bad for the players. They find themselves in a really crappy situation, at the end of what has been a really good season.

nighttrain12
11/9/2011, 10:28 PM
Hell, the guy has been senile for so long, he probably forgot what they told him 5 minutes later.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:30 PM
The media is chewing this board member guy to piece.

I'll bet it's more the local media. Seems like JoPa is the king of State College. When they made the announcement, I couldn't believe the number of gasps and moans. Crazy situation.

landrun
11/9/2011, 10:33 PM
Students in the crowd asking questions and are IRATE they fired Jo Pa.
Getting to the point to where they're making a spectical of the the conference now.

landrun
11/9/2011, 10:34 PM
It is probably students from one of the schools papers or something. They sound like kids.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:35 PM
It is probably students from one of the schools papers or something. They sound like kids.

That's kinda what I gathered too.

SoonerMom2
11/9/2011, 10:37 PM
The media is chewing this board member guy to piece. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the media -- nasty bunch supporting Paterno.

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:37 PM
riots in HV....that's the B1G way.

what a f'g mess.

Letting an old guy (that I wouldn't put in charge of a freakin picnic) run a $50 million organization only because he is a legend is a horrible decision. He should have retired 20 years ago.....and/or someone with some sense should have fired him back then.

btk108
11/9/2011, 10:38 PM
Needed to happen

btk108
11/9/2011, 10:40 PM
ask those students if they will still be righteous if that was their little brother in the shower.

Memtig14
11/9/2011, 10:41 PM
How long will he live........tough changing your life at that age.

IBleedCrimson
11/9/2011, 10:41 PM
Good move. Paterno did the bare legal minimum required of him by alerting his AD. Is he responsible for this monster's actions? No. But he could have protected children by making one more phone call. Instead he made the conscious decision to NOT PROTECT the weakest part of our society from a horrendous animal.

He didn't rape children. But he didn't stop this vile creature from doing it either... and he could have.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:43 PM

I've thought for a long time that JoPa wouldn't last long once he retired. Seems like some people retire, and for whatever reason, die. I certainly don't wish that on JoPa, but wouldn't surprise me.

StoopTroup
11/9/2011, 10:48 PM
The Board had little Choice but to let Joe go. He shouldn't have done that little rally IMO. He pulled out his Scepter and Royal Cape and tried to make it hard on the School. His better move would have been to talk with the University about what they think he should do and accept the fact that stepping down might allow the University to keep from having to FIRE HIS ***.

He brought this on himself. It's very sad that he tried to stay on. Doing so made him the center of the investigation. It's proof he's made a lot of mistakes the last few years. Had he just stepped down and Penn State would have had a decent year...they could have given him credit for it. Now they are at odds.

Very Sad to see a guy like Paterno with National Championships under his belt to go out this way. There is proof that the Football Monster is alive and doesn't just exist at OU. It exists at many Div. IA Universities

Sooner5030
11/9/2011, 10:50 PM
wonder if vegas has adjusted the lines yet. I'm putting everything on UNL!

/going to hell

ouwasp
11/9/2011, 10:50 PM
I feel sorta bad for Joe, but figure this had to happen. Why did he not do more? Probably some sort of rationalization that he hoped it wasn't true....and that if he paid it no mind it might evaporate.

Traber said something earlier today that caused me to think (Yes, he did): Think how people would think about Switzer if he had coached another 30 yrs. Wow.

On the other hand, I talked to a loyal PSU guy about 10 yrs ago that was proud of Joe and all, but was ready for him to retire.

LASooner
11/9/2011, 10:51 PM
It's nothing to celebrate, because at the end of the day, there are some pretty messed up kids and adults, who were kids when this happened, out there who will not be helped by a bunch of old men losing their jobs. Burden of proof or not, if 1/64th of what was in that Grand Jury report was true, they deserve to lose their jobs at the bare minimum. But the victim list is growing by the day. Easily the worst scandal to ever hit college athletics.

StoopTroup
11/9/2011, 10:53 PM
I think that's one of Chris Fowler's best quotes I've ever heard. "It's time to now focus on the victims of this situation."

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2011, 10:53 PM

Especially changed in this way.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:55 PM
The Board had little Choice but to let Joe go. He shouldn't have done that little rally IMO. He pulled out his Scepter and Royal Cape and tried to make it hard on the School. His better move would have been to talk with the University about what they think he should do and accept the fact that stepping down might allow the University to keep from having to FIRE HIS ***.

He brought this on himself. It's very sad that he tried to stay on. Doing so made him the center of the investigation. It's proof he's made a lot of mistakes the last few years. Had he just stepped down and Penn State would have had a decent year...they could have given him credit for it. Now they are at odds.

Very Sad to see a guy like Paterno with National Championships under his belt to go out this way. There is proof that the Football Monster is alive and doesn't just exist at OU. It exists at many Div. IA Universities

Well said.

It is sad. JoPa did a lot to make college football great, and it's sad that his legacy will be marred by this.

I agree 100% with you, he tried to play this whole thing out on his own terms. That may have worked if this were some kind of NCAA scandal, but this was bigger than any of that. I can't help but think his ego has been fed for so many years, that he actually believed that he could write the script. I applaud the Penn State Board of Trustees for making what appears to be a locally, unpopular decision. At least with the students.

King Barry went out with a lot of scandal swirling around, but time slowly moved most of that away. I don't believe the same will be case for JoPa.

Wishboned
11/9/2011, 10:57 PM
Paterno's legacy is plunging down in a clockwise direction. He is a sad little man who had the power to protect young boys, but instead he worried about what the scandal would do to your football program. He should be ridiculed, and shunned.

IBleedCrimson
11/9/2011, 10:58 PM
Easily the worst scandal to ever hit college athletics.

i was trying to put this in context for my not-so-well-versed-in-cf-history friend, and i couldn't. I'm a youngun, but couldn't think of any scandal this horrendous in cf history.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/9/2011, 10:59 PM
Sux for a man that almost made it an unreal run with a great public reputation.

But now...no doubt...his attempt to sweep something under the rug, probably out of fear of staining his reputation, is going to lift the lid off of a huge can of disgust...in all areas

I bet anything that not only will this Sandusky think explode beyond what we know now...but all kinds of infractions will suddenly bubble to the surface.

We will find that while in public, JoePa was this unstoppable example of the human spirit an integrity...He was, like everyone in the same position, a selfish egomaniac. Stories will come out of the wood work on things he did wrong and people he pissed off

NO DOUBT he did great things for State U, college football and probably scores of other people...but in the end, he made a huge miscalculation and absolutely got what he deserved.

8timechamps
11/9/2011, 10:59 PM
i was trying to put this in context for my not-so-well-versed-in-cf-history friend, and i couldn't. I'm a youngun, but couldn't think of any scandal this horrendous in cf history.

LASooner's right, and it hadn't really dawned on me, but this has to be the worst scandal in college football history...at least my lifetime.

Herr Scholz
11/9/2011, 11:00 PM
What you did was phenomenal. Of course, it was just the right thing to do, but so many people would not do it...as evidenced by what's going on at State Penn.
2nd that. Good work, guzziguy.

MyT Oklahoma
11/9/2011, 11:02 PM
Good riddance!

If he didn't know better about what he should have done back in 2002 then there is nothing positive to be said about him now. That's sad of course but life is tough.

After contacting his AD he should have confronted Sandusky and also fired him immediately, and then contacted the police.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!

BrotherMalcolm
11/9/2011, 11:02 PM
Who were those hysterical bastards shrieking out questions in the presser? Local media I assume.

IBleedCrimson
11/9/2011, 11:06 PM
LASooner's right, and it hadn't really dawned on me, but this has to be the worst scandal in college football history...at least my lifetime.

as phil said in the opening of his opinion piece, everything else is "fantasy crimes in the fantasy world of the ncaa..."

this is so incredibly evil as to not seem real. a monster luring children close to him through a children's charity, people in positions of power knew and did nothing and even deliberately turning their heads.... its unthinkable

8timechamps
Why does Kirk Herbstreet almost sound disappointed that he was let go? Kinda changes the way I see Kirk now.

Herr Scholz
He won't be but I think that old fake deserves to be indicted criminally.

AlboSooner
11/9/2011, 11:08 PM
I heard Matt Millen say this is a day for football. I really don;t see it. This won't affect my love for CF one bit. I never ever cared about about Joe Pa or Penn St.

Why is this a sad day for football? Good riddance.