PDA

View Full Version : More Loose Tongues at the G20 - What Does Obama Really Think About Our Allies?

soonercruiser
11/8/2011, 11:37 PM
The headline should have read, "A Bunch of LIARS Call Others Liars"!
Sarkozy? Obama?
Wil the drive-by media be too busy covering the Cain accusations to report other news?

In Overheard Comments, Sarkozy Calls Netanyahu a ‘Liar’ (And Obama "One-Ups" Him!)
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/world/middleeast/in-overheard-comments-nicolas-sarkozy-calls-benjamin-netanyahu-a-liar.html

JERUSALEM — The president of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, told President Obama that he could no longer bear Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, and went on to call Mr. Netanyahu a “liar” in a private conversation overheard by several French journalists last week at the Group of 20 summit meeting in Cannes.

You are fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you,” Mr. Obama replied, according to reports that flooded the main Israeli news sites on Tuesday.
The Israeli prime minister’s office refused to comment. An Israeli official, speaking on the condition of anonymity for diplomatic reasons, acknowledged that given the once-close personal ties between Mr. Sarkozy and Mr. Netanyahu, “it all comes as a surprise.”

The publication of the comments, bound to embarrass all three allies, came at a delicate juncture hours before the imminent release of a significant report on Iran by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

A pool of reporters was in a separate location from the leaders, according to the agencies, waiting for the time when they would be allowed to monitor public remarks. The French reporters were given a device used to transmit simultaneous translations, but not headsets. But some plugged their own earphones in, catching about three minutes of the private conversation between Mr. Sarkozy and Mr. Obama, and the translation of each man’s comments into the other’s language, according to a reporter for The A.P.’s French service.

“It was brief and confusing,” the reporter said. “It was a private conversation in a separate room, and I could sense that they did not know they were being overheard.”

Both The A.P. and Reuters said that they did not initially report the comments because they were deemed off the record. Not only Reuters and the AP, but the reporters "pool" was described by some as coming to a consensus to not report the comments publically!
Can you believe this????
When has the media ever protected a conservative or Republican?
Were they too busy doing stories on Herman Cain allegations?

More stories...
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/11/08/sarkozy-overheard-telling-obama-cant-stand-netanyahu/
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/11/sarkozy-obama-netanyahu-liar.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9937038

diverdog
11/8/2011, 11:46 PM
The headline should have read, "A Bunch of LIARS Call Others Liars"!
Sarkozy? Obama?
Wil the drive-by media be too busy covering the Cain accusations to report other news?

Not only Reuters and the AP, but the reporters "pool" was described by some as coming to a consensus to not report the comments publically!
Can you believe this????
When has the media ever protected a conservative or Republican?
Were they too busy doing stories on Herman Cain allegations?

More stories...
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/11/08/sarkozy-overheard-telling-obama-cant-stand-netanyahu/
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/11/sarkozy-obama-netanyahu-liar.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9937038

cruiser:

You just posted a lot of MSM that covered this conversation. Additionally, I saw it on Yahoo and USAToday. It gets reported.

SicEmBaylor
11/9/2011, 01:14 AM
This ally of ours has a long history of extensive espionage programs against us. They've cost us our credibility in a region where appearances are everything.

I'm sympathetic to Israel. I like them, and I want them to prosper. But the days of subsidizing their defense while costing us our standing in the region must end. It has gone on too long. We pour way the hell too much money into that country. Israel needs to stand on its own.

diverdog
11/9/2011, 06:49 AM
This ally of ours has a long history of extensive espionage programs against us. They've cost us our credibility in a region where appearances are everything.

I'm sympathetic to Israel. I like them, and I want them to prosper. But the days of subsidizing their defense while costing us our standing in the region must end. It has gone on too long. We pour way the hell too much money into that country. Israel needs to stand on its own.

Where is that clappy hand icon when you need it? Great post.

KantoSooner
11/9/2011, 11:03 AM
Sic Em, I'm relatively sympathetic to the Israelis, but let's be clear, they've never done jack to support us when not directly in their favor and, in fact, have put US armed forces at risk numerous times when it suited them.
They've also been utterly intransigent in making moves toward peace in the area. Not that I blame them completely, but they haven't been helping.
When Moishe Dayan's widow declares Netanyahu to be a disaster, even die-hard Israel supporters need to take notice.
And yeah, our money needs to come out of there, now.

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 01:23 PM
Diver,
Please research when this actually took place.
Once it's "out"; then it does get out! Regardless of who wants to keep it under wraps.

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 01:26 PM

When the Israelis have people like Clinton and Obama to deal with, they'd better get their own information.
Now there's some people not to trust.
"I swear, I did not have sex with Israel"! :uncomfortableness:

MountainOkie
11/10/2011, 03:24 PM
What has he lied about?

AlboSooner
11/11/2011, 12:23 AM

agree.

SicEmBaylor
11/11/2011, 04:32 AM
When the Israelis have people like Clinton and Obama to deal with, they'd better get their own information.
Now there's some people not to trust.
"I swear, I did not have sex with Israel"! :uncomfortableness:

Except they also did it during the W. Bush years who was, arguably, their biggest ally in the WH since Truman.

diverdog
11/11/2011, 06:14 AM
What has he lied about?

Mostly the promise of stopping settlements in the West Bank and other areas.