PDA

View Full Version : Baseball used to make a lot more sense

cleller
11/8/2011, 10:23 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/IMG_1918.jpg

Or at least watching it did. Come on, who knows who this is? She was briefly famous, 36 years ago.

AlbqSooner
11/9/2011, 07:49 AM
I used to attend a lot of baseball games. They were great fun. Then, I quit drinking beer and they became boring as hell.

Partial Qualifier
11/9/2011, 10:18 AM
The "kissing bandit" or some such?

NormanPride
11/9/2011, 10:48 AM
She's pretty. Before my time, though...

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 11:08 AM
Baseball is just SOOO slow...Even more boring than soccer. What makes it worse is that there is worse team loyalty than either the NFL or NBA which are already pretty bad. Trading can occur basically right up until the playoffs....

jumperstop
11/9/2011, 11:09 AM
And Btw, forget the lady. I don't even know who Johnny Bench is...sounds kinda familiar, but beyond that nothing...

cleller
11/9/2011, 01:31 PM
And Btw, forget the lady. I don't even know who Johnny Bench is...sounds kinda familiar, but beyond that nothing...

Aww come on, Johnny Bench. MLB hall of famer from Binger, OK? Star catcher of the Reds for years.

The is Vickie Chesser Bench, who married Johnny in early 1975. The shot is of her at the 1975 World Series. The tv broadcasters were very smitten with her. She was a model, and I believe an Ultrabrite toothpaste girl.

yermom
11/9/2011, 02:08 PM
yermom was somewhere around conception when this happened.

i only really know who Johnny Bench was because of Bill Cosby's bit on labor and delivery

mOP52g_rO24

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2011, 04:41 PM
The "kissing bandit" or some such?
That was Morganna, & she was a tad (& by tad i mean a LOT) more, ahem....topheavy, to say the very least.

AlbqSooner
11/10/2011, 07:30 AM
Abe Lemons went to Binger to scout Johnny Bench as a basketball player. He said when he arrived and Bench was wearing a catcher's mitt in the basketball locker room he figured he would not be playing college basketball.

Jumperstop. Abe Lemons coached Oklahoma City University before you were born. His team won the NIT tourney when it was more prestigious than the NCAA, also before you were born. He was also one of the funniest interviews of any coach in any sport ever.

When he took OCU to an undefeated (30-0) regular season a sports writer asked if that had been a lifelong goal of his. His response:

"My only goal in life is to get my name on the water tower at Walters." (Walters Oklahoma, his hometown)

cleller
11/10/2011, 08:00 PM
See, I bought this dvd set of the 1975 World Series about 5 years ago. That World Series had really stuck with me as a kid for some reason, so I got the dvds thinking some day I'd sit back and re-live it. I've finally got around to it.

This is one of those instances where I cannot believe they were divorced in 1 year. That's some major attitude adaptation incentive on the screen.

scotplum
11/11/2011, 09:54 AM
Abe Lemons went to Binger to scout Johnny Bench as a basketball player. He said when he arrived and Bench was wearing a catcher's mitt in the basketball locker room he figured he would not be playing college basketball.

Jumperstop. Abe Lemons coached Oklahoma City University before you were born. His team won the NIT tourney when it was more prestigious than the NCAA, also before you were born. He was also one of the funniest interviews of any coach in any sport ever.

When he took OCU to an undefeated (30-0) regular season a sports writer asked if that had been a lifelong goal of his. His response:

"My only goal in life is to get my name on the water tower at Walters." (Walters Oklahoma, his hometown)

Abe Lemons lived on the same street as me when I was growing up (in the Green's). His grandson would come by and play basketball with me and then take me over to their house. Unfortunately, I didn't have too many interactions with Coach Lemons but in his house he did have a pretty cool trophy display which included his National Coach of the Year trophy while he was at Texas.