PDA

View Full Version : Venebles to Penn State?

looch
11/8/2011, 01:58 PM
Some one is going to start the rumors. Might as well get it going now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/8/2011, 02:01 PM
Seems like quite a stretch. Better wait til the season's over, anyway, IMHO.

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 02:05 PM
Who wants to follow a legend who had to step down from this mess?

Widescreen
11/8/2011, 03:10 PM
Penn State is a good gig.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/8/2011, 03:51 PM
Penn State is a good gig.Indeed! Lots of in-state talent, and they can get the best from the NE states, if they recruit smart.

virginiasooner
11/8/2011, 03:54 PM
PSU may be a good gig in D1 (maybe even close to the best), but who would take it now? Look at what you have to live up to. For example, how has Nebraska fared since the depature of Dr. Tom? How many coaches have the Huskers had in the last decade? Three? Four? And how about the Domeheads since the depature of Lou Holtz? I for one can't count that high. Whoever takes it has a thankless task on his hands.

Monster Zero
11/8/2011, 04:23 PM
What's he gonna do, teach English Lit?

'Cause they just might not even have a football team next year. Paterno is toast, as is the President of the University. "Don't be surprised" if you see the football program get just shut down because they all knew about it and did nothing. Otherwise how did whatsisname know that he needed to go up there and buy land to live on? Word was out in the coaching community what had happened and it was just a matter of time 'til it all came home to roost. 28-yo grad students to talk to each other, you know.

The new President of the University might just say "There's only one way to make this right and that's to totally start over. All you coaches and employees of the athletic department are now former employees. We're gonna let it just sit for a couple of years and we'll think about football again maybe then. You guys on the team now you're welcome to finish school here or if you want to transfer that's fine too. Any former coaches from Florida who bought land here on the speculation that there was going to be a scandal that you might profit from can just bugger off. This is a university first and right now we're concerned with not losing anyone who wants to come to school here and with not losing any faculty who might be embarassed to have PSU on their CV if we don't fix this right now. We'll worry about the lawsuits tomorrow."

BigTip
11/8/2011, 04:23 PM
PSU may be a good gig in D1 (maybe even close to the best), but who would take it now? Look at what you have to live up to. For example, how has Nebraska fared since the depature of Dr. Tom? How many coaches have the Huskers had in the last decade? Three? Four? And how about the Domeheads since the depature of Lou Holtz? I for one can't count that high. Whoever takes it has a thankless task on his hands.

Give me two or three million bucks and I'll give it a shot.

oumartin
11/8/2011, 04:25 PM
from covering up for a child molestor to hiring an abusive coach... Yeah, not gonna happen

opksooner
11/8/2011, 04:25 PM
"Pity the man who follows a legend."

--An Ony Mouse

Widescreen
11/8/2011, 04:49 PM
What's he gonna do, teach English Lit?

'Cause they just might not even have a football team next year. Paterno is toast, as is the President of the University. "Don't be surprised" if you see the football program get just shut down because they all knew about it and did nothing. Otherwise how did whatsisname know that he needed to go up there and buy land to live on? Word was out in the coaching community what had happened and it was just a matter of time 'til it all came home to roost. 28-yo grad students to talk to each other, you know.

The new President of the University might just say "There's only one way to make this right and that's to totally start over. All you coaches and employees of the athletic department are now former employees. We're gonna let it just sit for a couple of years and we'll think about football again maybe then. You guys on the team now you're welcome to finish school here or if you want to transfer that's fine too. Any former coaches from Florida who bought land here on the speculation that there was going to be a scandal that you might profit from can just bugger off. This is a university first and right now we're concerned with not losing anyone who wants to come to school here and with not losing any faculty who might be embarassed to have PSU on their CV if we don't fix this right now. We'll worry about the lawsuits tomorrow."
There's no way this happens. The Penn State football team generates so much $$$ for the university, there's no way they could do this even if it seems like the right thing to do.

I just looked it up - Penn State generated $70.2 million last year which ranks 4th nationally (and 3rd in terms of profit) and #1 in the Big 10.

Monster Zero
11/8/2011, 04:56 PM
Probably not, really, but think about this - how much revenue does football bring in, and how much is the university about to be sued for? And I'm sorry, I'm not believing that anyone up there who's on staff hadn't heard something about this in some way. All the way from the President of the university on down. Anyone who heard about it and didn't go to the cops is at least morally culpable.

I have no idea what's about to happen but this mess is unfortunately worse than anything I've ever heard about. It's the kind of ugliness people want to totally wash their hands of.

Widescreen
11/8/2011, 05:01 PM
Probably not, really, but think about this - how much revenue does football bring in, and how much is the university about to be sued for? And I'm sorry, I'm not believing that anyone up there who's on staff hadn't heard something about this in some way. All the way from the President of the university on down. Anyone who heard about it and didn't go to the cops is at least morally culpable.

I have no idea what's about to happen but this mess is unfortunately worse than anything I've ever heard about. It's the kind of ugliness people want to totally wash their hands of.
I'm not saying your idea is a bad one. I'm just saying that, financially, the university's hands are likely completely tied. No university could withstand a $70 million budget cut in one year. Not even Texas.

swardboy
11/8/2011, 05:07 PM
Who exactly bought land up there?

Monster Zero
11/8/2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, the current president of PSU has gotten them into a losing situation all the way around. They're gonna be sued for $70 million bucks from each one of the victims, now numbering nine instead of eight. Gate receipts (blood money?) won't count much alongside that kind of money.

"$70 million here, $70 million there, pretty soon you're talking about some real money."

Soonermagik
11/8/2011, 10:03 PM
Even in this mess Penn State is a better job than Indiana, San Diego State, Arizona etc.. I think Venables has been hesitant to leave, because he understands that you don't leave an amazing job for a crap position with uncertain job security.

If Venables can stay long enough he might get a really good job offer i.e. Ohio State, USC, Florida State etc. type jobs.

AlboSooner
11/8/2011, 10:24 PM
I don;t think Brent would tolerate pedophilia, that makes him a bad fit for Penn State.

salth2o
11/8/2011, 10:24 PM
Who exactly bought land up there?

Stoops?

Sooner5030
11/8/2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah, the current president of PSU has gotten them into a losing situation all the way around. They're gonna be sued for $70 million bucks from each one of the victims, now numbering nine instead of eight. Gate receipts (blood money?) won't count much alongside that kind of money.

"$70 million here, $70 million there, pretty soon you're talking about some real money."

^^^this

PSU does not have the cash laying around like the catholic church and michael jackson did. up to 20 potential victims now. That athletic department could declare BK next year.

AlboSooner
11/8/2011, 10:30 PM
^^^this

PSU does not have the cash laying around like the catholic church and michael jackson did. up to 20 potential victims now. That athletic department could declare BK next year.

Athletic departments don't have $70 million laying around. Not even Texas could muster up that kind up cash. I think the whole university is in big trouble.

8timechamps
11/8/2011, 10:36 PM
Who wants to follow a legend who had to step down from this mess?

I am undefeated as a head coach, with 15 national titles and the ability to recruit the best high school talent year in, and year out*. I would offer my services to Penn State.

These are all attained via EA Sports NCAA College Football 2012 on the Xbox 360

Blue
11/8/2011, 10:45 PM
That red-head is the coach. Paterno was just the senile ol' grandpa that wont shut up.

WileyCoyote
11/9/2011, 07:18 AM
Athletic departments don't have $70 million laying around. Not even Texas could muster up that kind up cash. I think the whole university is in big trouble.

^^^ Precisely. No way to estimate the true $$$ cost. This redefines what a "****-storm" is. (Don't forget, this broke in 2009. So those associated with it and their legal council have had 2 years of "OH ****!!!" meetings about strategy on how to handle.)

cleller
11/9/2011, 08:15 AM
That red-head is the coach. Paterno was just the senile ol' grandpa that wont shut up.

This is what I've felt for a long time. If you watch the sidelines he (Mike McQueary) runs the show. One big problem: I've read he spotted Sandusky "raping" a kid in the shower, and reported it to Paterno, so the story is stuck on him, too.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-11-08/penn-state-scandal-mike-mcquery/51129742/1

looch
11/9/2011, 08:28 AM
I hope every one here who has an opinion on the matter has read all 23 pages of the grand jury findings.

This is an open and closed case. If Paterno (and probably president) isnt gone today then Penn State has trouble.

The longer they drag this out, the more I agree with the liability and damage scenarios. I bet they get control of things today.

If they, truly, start to do the right thing: house gets cleaned today and they wash their hands of this mess. They can move on. The people who turned a blind eye to this abuse will be left to take care of themselves.

picasso
11/9/2011, 08:34 AM
This is what I've felt for a long time. If you watch the sidelines he (Mike McQueary) runs the show. One big problem: I've read he spotted Sandusky "raping" a kid in the shower, and reported it to Paterno, so the story is stuck on him, too.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-11-08/penn-state-scandal-mike-mcquery/51129742/1
:uncomfortableness:

marfacowboy
11/9/2011, 08:40 AM
No one is going to want to go up there unless they've got connections to the school and want to help it. Plus, most of the best jobs are in the sun belt. Any school in a place that's cold as hell is going to have one strike against it out of the gate. Now, Penn State has perhaps the biggest scandal since the SMU days, but morally, it's exponentially worse. In fact, it's as bad as it gets.

C&CDean
11/9/2011, 08:47 AM
I can honestly say IDGAS what happens to Penn State. Hell, they're the dickwads who made the Big-10 have 11 teams anyhow.

The movies that will be made outta this sordid deal are gonna be epic.

Curly Bill
Vulnerables to Penn State...LOL...I needed a laugh this morning. :applouse:

C&CDean
I was wondering when you were gonna chime in CB.

Curly Bill
11/9/2011, 08:51 AM
Good morning Dean! How are things?

Soon as I saw the thread title I could barely contain myself. I may have broken a rib laughing so hard. :nightmare:

C&CDean
11/9/2011, 08:56 AM
Your whipping boy will get his head coach shot all in good time. In fact, he's already had opportunities - only he's too smart to take them ala Chuck Long, Wilson, Stoops Jr., Mangino, Leach, et. al. I'm just waiting for something bad to happen to Sumlin down in Houston. V is smart to stay put and pull down his half-a-mil+ salary and wait for the right job. In the meantime, I'm just happy he ain't BFing little boys in the showers...

OU GENO
11/9/2011, 09:46 AM
How about Bobby Bowden? PU likes old coaches! If you didn't know that's a joke son.

cleller
11/9/2011, 10:14 AM
Its not like being out of a job is something that is going to bring any hardship to Old Joe. He probably can't hear what people say about him, anyway.