PDA

View Full Version : Who would want to coach at Penn State now!??

landrun
11/8/2011, 12:56 PM
I haven't read a lot on their rape case because frankly, I can't stand hearing about that sort of stuff.
But I've been to their forums and the little bit I've read is unbelievable. Their whole fan base it infuriated and ashamed. Who wouldn't be?
Jo Pa is toast and their belief (from info they have) seems to be that he's not as innocent/ignorant of the behavior as he pretended to be in his official statement.

I have no doubt that they'll find a replacement. But for the life of me, I wouldn't want to be a part of that environment/situation for anything. You couldn't pay me enough to go to Penn State to coach!

The only people I see being interested in that job is an ex-player who loves the university, wants to help them weather out the storm and doesn't mind getting fired in 5 years or so because PSU has been terrible since they showed up. And they will be I believe. I think this story will have a huge negative impact on recruiting.

cherokeebrewer
11/8/2011, 12:59 PM
A lot of coaches would take that job...I'd bet Al Golden would be a front runner.

badger
11/8/2011, 12:59 PM
Answer: Money makes people do stuff. So does having a NY-area recruiting and fanbase, a 100k+ stadium and other resources.

But above all, money.

Flagstaffsooner
11/8/2011, 01:09 PM
Well, Bill Snyder is too young for the job.:D

the-rover
11/8/2011, 01:10 PM
I can think of a few ex-OU assistants who would take the job

yermom
11/8/2011, 01:18 PM
honestly, this makes it an easier job to take, IMO

before this, who would want to follow JoePa there? now a lot of the pressure to be Joe Paterno is gone

achiro
11/8/2011, 01:30 PM
honestly, this makes it an easier job to take, IMO

before this, who would want to follow JoePa there? now a lot of the pressure to be Joe Paterno is gone
Yep JoPa would have always been around. If he "resigns" he won't be hanging around at practices and such. If JoPa is gone from this, everyone else associated with it will be gone as well and that makes it a clean slate for a new coaching staff. There are a lot of coaches that would take this job in a heartbeat.

SoonerLaw09
11/8/2011, 01:33 PM
I hear Houston Nutt is available.

Jacie
11/8/2011, 01:42 PM
You gotta be kidding. Taking over after a scandal, with the admission that this is the extreme end of the spectrum compared to the usual run-of-the-mill scandal, is as plum as it gets in college coaching.

Someone steps in and they get a pass for the first season so long as they don't further muddy the water.

This one is even better because Penn State is the premiere university in the state. Pennsylvania school boys still want to play there.

And despite that JoePa was retired over this, it does not undo all of 46 years of good work. Really, it gives the administration a way of getting the old man to step down without it being a power struggle that they would lose as far as public sentiment goes, no matter that they could legally can at him anytime.

BeaSooner
11/8/2011, 01:44 PM
anything short of pedophilia is a step up at this point. This would be an excellent job to take over.

Craighead15
11/8/2011, 01:52 PM
over 100,000 seat stadium, huge alumi base, one of the most supported universities
Penn State did not commit any NCAA violations in this so it's not like they are going to get the death penalty or anything. If I were a head coach, I'd take this job in a heartbeat.

Flagstaffsooner
11/8/2011, 01:54 PM
Pee Wee Herman would be a good fit!

PalmBeachSooner
11/8/2011, 02:01 PM
Screw it! I'll coach the bastages.

yermom
11/8/2011, 03:09 PM
Yep JoPa would have always been around. If he "resigns" he won't be hanging around at practices and such. If JoPa is gone from this, everyone else associated with it will be gone as well and that makes it a clean slate for a new coaching staff. There are a lot of coaches that would take this job in a heartbeat.

before this, i thought the grim reaper was the only one that was going to fire him

nativesooner
11/8/2011, 03:18 PM
Houston Nutt HC, Mike Stoops DC

Monster Zero
11/8/2011, 04:48 PM
I still say they just might not have a football program this time next year.

The money they lose from 5 or 6 home games' ticket sales is chump change alongside what PSU's about to be sued for. Plus the incoming freshman class next year might be what, half what it was going to be this time last week? And how many faculty are looking for jobs right now 'cause they're embarassed to be associated with it.

Bad bad times ahead for PSU. Makes our time with the crime wave of '90 or whenever pale in comparison. Makes SMU and their scandal pale in comparison too, and they got the death penalty from the NCAA.

Some of the folks up there just might decide that a self-imposed moratorium on football might be the only way to fix it. Just like a bad stomach virus, the only way to deal with it is to stop eating and wait for everything to clear out one way or the other...

OklahomaTuba
11/8/2011, 04:57 PM
Exactly. If PSU's athletic department let this happen, then they should receive the maximum punishment there can be. End of story.

Breadburner
11/8/2011, 05:32 PM
All the perps will be gone....Still a great job to have......It's not like the whole institution was involved in molesting kids....

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 05:38 PM
I still say they just might not have a football program this time next year.

The money they lose from 5 or 6 home games' ticket sales is chump change alongside what PSU's about to be sued for. Plus the incoming freshman class next year might be what, half what it was going to be this time last week? And how many faculty are looking for jobs right now 'cause they're embarassed to be associated with it.

Bad bad times ahead for PSU. Makes our time with the crime wave of '90 or whenever pale in comparison. Makes SMU and their scandal pale in comparison too, and they got the death penalty from the NCAA.

Some of the folks up there just might decide that a self-imposed moratorium on football might be the only way to fix it. Just like a bad stomach virus, the only way to deal with it is to stop eating and wait for everything to clear out one way or the other...
You just saying what Traber sad. I'll bet my house none of those things happen...Maybe enrollment drops a tiny bit, maybe a coule of professors quit (although I don't see why they would quit over a scandal in the athletic dep, people still need jobs....), and why would they give up football? It's not like when they get sued it's going to have to be paid in cash or gold coins. They need to be paying those lawsuits somehow, and how would they do that without their biggest revenue producer...

Peach Fuzz
11/8/2011, 05:40 PM
I'd probably still coach there...

Can coaches hook up with students not playing sport?

sooneredaco
11/8/2011, 05:40 PM
Urban

rwryne
11/8/2011, 05:45 PM
No greatly credible source, but lots of rumors that Urban Meyer bought a house in Boalsburg, just a few miles away from Penn State.

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&ix=c2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=urban+meyer+boalsburg

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2011, 05:45 PM
Galen Hall..He is only like 72

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 05:46 PM
No greatly credible source, but lots of rumors that Urban Meyer bought a house in Boalsburg, just a few miles away from Penn State.

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&ix=c2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=urban+meyer+boalsburg

I think the Penn State faithful are dreaming on this one. Even if he did buy a house that means nothing. Why wouldn't he wait for the tOSU job, seems like a better job to me?

oudavid1
11/8/2011, 07:07 PM
I would love to coach at Penn State because now Joe is a little easier to follow, great pay, great fans, amazing stadium, and also, the best uniforms in college football. Not to mention, a winnable conference.

Monster Zero
11/8/2011, 07:18 PM
Uh oh.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2804500/posts

OUInformant
11/8/2011, 07:25 PM
As long as anybody associated to the scandal resigns or is fired, I would take the job in a heartbeat.

But yeah, Bill Snyder is too young for the coaching job at Penn St. I'm thinking that Bobby Bowden is available.

AlboSooner
11/8/2011, 07:55 PM
JoePa fighting tooth and nails not to be fired, or retired. What a selfish guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/official-tells-ap-support-paterno-eroding-14908029

sooneredaco
11/8/2011, 08:06 PM
Uh oh.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2804500/posts

Bye Bye PSU! Nice knowing ya!

Sooner5030
11/8/2011, 08:07 PM
folks are not considering the big picture yet. That athletic department could be in a world of shiat if this thing keeps growing. Eventually, the employee and ties to the organizations on campus (once that employee was not a coach) will lead to culpability and civil cases will start to mount. I would not want to be a bondholder in that AD right now. Based on probability and severity some accountants are about to book a hefty reserve for potential losses based on this.

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 08:13 PM
Imagine if Paterno had croaked while this guy was his unofficial 'coach in waiting'...This would be even more ****ed up than it already is..

sooneredaco
11/8/2011, 08:13 PM
JoePa fighting tooth and nails not to be fired, or retired. What a selfish guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/official-tells-ap-support-paterno-eroding-14908029

Very selfish... They need to boot gramps and let him get started receiving his meals on wheels. Bubye!

Jacie
11/8/2011, 08:49 PM

Urban Meyer owns a home in the vicinity of every school where he would take a job if offered.

LASooner
11/8/2011, 08:57 PM
I wonder if Dish Network will continue to run Penn State ads on ESPN every day?

guzziguy
11/8/2011, 09:13 PM
Hasn't any dumb s*** started a Stoops to PSU thread as yet?

Breadburner
11/8/2011, 09:20 PM
Imagine if Paterno had croaked while this guy was his unofficial 'coach in waiting'...This would be even more ****ed up than it already is..

He was not a candidate......

Soonermagik
11/8/2011, 09:47 PM
Joe Pa will claim he didn't know what was going down. He will step down due to health/retirement reasons and as time passes this will be forgotten. What happened to those kids is awful. However, most fans will hold this firmly against Joe Pa and rightfully so.. he really tarnished his legacy and his moral standing.

Sooner5030
11/8/2011, 09:51 PM
Joe Pa will claim he didn't know what was going down. He will step down due to health/retirement reasons and as time passes this will be forgotten. What happened to those kids is awful. However, most fans will hold this firmly against Joe Pa and rightfully so.. he really tarnished his legacy and his moral standing.

I disagree. This will not be forgotten. It's up to 20 potential victims now. Given the span of time and the alleged level of knowledge fellow employees and superiors had there will be lawsuits that could cause BK for the PSU AD. Tally up the potential punitive damages x 20.

Soonermagik
11/8/2011, 09:58 PM
I disagree. This will not be forgotten. It's up to 20 potential victims now. Given the span of time and the alleged level of knowledge fellow employees and superiors had there will be lawsuits that could cause BK for the PSU AD. Tally up the potential punitive damages x 20.

I work at a law firm and I'm not talking about the legal ramifications. The public loves a villan story and gets really ticked until the next big thing happens. Remember when Michael Vick was public enemy #1... or Michael Jackson was alleged to have done similar things to small children? You see, people get really mad at first and then lose interest as time passes. No one wants to hear that, but it's the reality.

Don't get me wrong, this makes me sick. I hope they fire Joe Pa and sue the heck out of the school.

finster
11/8/2011, 10:01 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2a643nk.jpg

Blue
11/8/2011, 10:48 PM
Looks like they have a new mascot already....man it would suck to be a State fan right now...

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/250x250/10/11006/11270859.jpg

rm50
11/9/2011, 12:03 AM
Mike Leech would be a natural

Dan Thompson
11/9/2011, 12:45 AM
Mike Stoops, Mike Leach, etc

delhalew
11/9/2011, 01:36 AM
I would never want to walk through that locker room. For me to take that job, they'd have to demo the whole place and build it back skeevy pedo****tard juju free.

WileyCoyote
11/9/2011, 06:53 AM
Who would want to coach at Penn State now ?!?

(First off, my sincere sympathy to the victims and their families.)

Given the amount of turmoil that is unfolding and the attendant unknowns associated with the whole situation, it is going to be a long time before that can even be remotely addressed.

The events and amount of press coverage that is sure to follow make me think we are only in the beginning. There is a mind-boggling amount of decisions and consequential issues that have yet to occur that far transcend the selection of a coach.

Factor in that: we don’t know, what we don’t know about this disgusting mess.

Some of this reminds me of a “covey flush” when quail hunting. It’s a blurr of flushing birds going 10 directions at once, all hauling *** for their self preservation. It’s hard to pick out which one to shoot at. Just like quail hunting, the “singles” can be stalked down and bagged. But it takes time, patience and a good bird dog.

Lastly, the university and athletic program have to have some strong financial wherewithal to pursue any attempt to “rebuild their brand”. By the time this plays out revenue generation will be severely hampered. Civil suit/settlements, lawyer fees, lost season ticket sales, lost donations, lower logo merchandise sales (you wont see many PSU hats, t-shirts, etc being worn), etc. will all be a huge drain. Put a forecast on that cost.

Even after the storm is over, they will never repair the damage done in the court of public opinion.

It makes being on probation for recruiting violations seem trivial, as it should.

cleller
11/9/2011, 08:18 AM
The tour of facilities with the new recruits might be a little uncomfortable now. "The showers are back there somewhere. Uh, lets keep moving...."

marfacowboy
11/9/2011, 08:44 AM
I don't agree this is one of the top jobs or even a "great job" anymore. Not many will be willing to go up there unless they've got a connections to the school and want to help it or they're young and are willing to take a big risk. Most of the best jobs, the ones people really want, are in the sun belt. Any school in a place that's cold as hell is going to have one strike against it out of the gate. Now, Penn State has perhaps the biggest scandal since the SMU days, but morally, it's exponentially worse. In fact, it's as bad as it gets.

Sooner_Tuf
11/9/2011, 12:08 PM
MJ would have been a good fit for just about any position Penn State offers.

sooneron
11/9/2011, 03:24 PM
My money is on Greg Schiano. He's wanted the job forevah.