PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 conference set for 2012

deweydw
11/8/2011, 08:48 AM
When I first saw this on the crawl on ESPN last night. I counted up the teams and kept coming up 1 short. Who could I have kept leaving out? Then it hit me, Iowa St. For the life of me, I do not know why I keep forgetting Iowa St is in the conference. :stupid: :D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-oklahoma-realignment

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—University of Oklahoma President David Boren said Monday the Big 12 Conference is settled with 10 teams through the 2012 football season, but didn’t rule out the possibility that two more teams could be added in 2013.

“Definitely, I think we have the opportunity to go back to 12, if we want to,” Boren told The Associated Press.

Boren did not identify which other schools have expressed an interest in joining the conference.

With the departure of Missouri and Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference and the addition of TCU and West Virginia to the Big 12, Boren said game schedules and media contracts are set for 2012 with ten teams.

Boren said he would like the league to ultimately explore the option of expanding to 12 teams.

“I don’t think we have to be in any rush,” he said. “It might be wise to take a little time to do that, because we want things to settle down.”

A former Oklahoma governor and U.S. senator who became OU’s president in 1994, two years before the Big 12 was created, Boren said he believes stability has returned to the conference, despite the departure of Nebraska and Colorado last year and Missouri and Texas A&M this year.

“Right now we’re in a period of stability that ranks with any year of the history of the conference since it’s been formed,” Boren said. “We’re financially well off. We have solid media contracts. We have a full schedule of teams to play. We have many other schools still knocking on the door if we do want to go back to 12. We’re in a very good situation.”

mainline13
11/8/2011, 08:56 AM
When I first saw this on the crawl on ESPN last night. I counted up the teams and kept coming up 1 short. Who could I have kept leaving out? Then it hit me, Iowa St. For the life of me, I do not know why I keep forgetting Iowa St is in the conference. :stupid: :D

I predict that this thread will end up on the Cyclones' bulletin board. They'll be all fired up now, and our guys will be sleepwalking, looking ahead to the Pukes.

Way to go.

</sarcasm>

deweydw
11/8/2011, 08:59 AM
:highly_amused: Seriously, I do keep forgetting they are in the conference. I don't know what it is about Iowa St. They just seem to be out there in right field somewhere.

Boomer.....
11/8/2011, 09:36 AM
I haven't heard that WVU is set to play in 2012. I thought there was a lawsuit, etc. still going on.

deweydw
11/8/2011, 09:55 AM
Yea, I was scratching my head on that. What does Boren know?

ouflak
11/8/2011, 10:29 AM
I'm really that a broadcaster would agree to a contract without knowing that we could live upto it. I wonder if we negotiated clauses regarding what would happen if there we only 9 teams (reduced pay or something like that)? Seems reasonable. Would be interesting to see the wording. Anybody know what's happened with that 6 year Tier 1/2 Shackles thing? I haven't heard from any definite source that everybody has signed that.

Zin
11/8/2011, 10:59 AM
lol, last week I was reciting the members of the B12 to someone and forgot Iowa State. Very easy to forget really.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/8/2011, 11:03 AM
Iowa State IS The Big XII! How dare yall forget them! :nightmare:

Boomer.....
11/8/2011, 11:08 AM
Remember that one year when they had Seneca Wallace and were good. Yeah, we beat that *** then too!

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 11:12 AM
Remember that one year when they had Seneca Wallace and were good. Yeah, we beat that *** then too!
That's probably the last time they'll ever be close to the top 10...

Sco
11/8/2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, we beat that *** then too!

There just has to be a better way to say this.

Penguin
11/8/2011, 01:27 PM
There just has to be a better way to say this.

We presented upon his buttocks a rather harsh clobbering.

mdklatt
11/9/2011, 09:03 PM
I haven't been following all this realignment crap very closely, so correct me if I'm wrong. Our conference opponents are now Backyard Aggy, Wheat Aggy, Corn Aggy, Sand Aggy, Moonshine Aggy, Baylor, Other Baylor, KU, and *?

humblesooner
11/10/2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't been following all this realignment crap very closely, so correct me if I'm wrong. Our conference opponents are now Backyard Aggy, Wheat Aggy, Corn Aggy, Sand Aggy, Moonshine Aggy, Baylor, Other Baylor, KU, and *?

I thought you said you had not been following very closely.:D

sluggo sooner
11/10/2011, 05:49 PM
We beat them so badly that ABC went to another game at halftime.

d.stOUgh
11/11/2011, 02:33 AM
lol, last week I was reciting the members of the B12 to someone and forgot Iowa State. Very easy to forget really.

every conference has it's weaker, smaller schools...does anyone remember t.tech beating OU at home & then iowa st. beating t.t?

geeze...give the team a break...they've always showed up for games that they had no chance of winning...however...i do remember a 6 to 6 tie at norman during the switzer era...