PDA

View Full Version : Baylor thinking of a new stadium...

Fraggle145
11/7/2011, 10:03 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bay/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/5784949.jpeg?1320507334

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110511aab.html

By Jerry Hill
Baylor Bear Insider

Art Briles has made it clear that one of his unfinished goals at Baylor is to coach in an on-campus stadium. That day looks a lot closer.

Baylor Athletics has released an architectural rendering of an on-campus, riverfront football stadium, as an outgrowth of the University's on-going strategic planning process, and will conduct a fan survey and feasibility study that is expected to be completed next month.

"Due to the strong interest expressed by Baylor Nation for an on-campus football facility, we have decided to share a rendering of the stadium," Director of Athletics Ian McCaw said of the architectural drawing done by Populous, a worldwide leader in sports stadium architecture that has been engaged to develop the stadium's master plan.

McCaw said the preferred location for the stadium is the Brazos River site adjacent to Interstate 35 and across from the Highers Athletics Complex. Last month, the University purchased the Waco Hotel that currently sits on the northern end of the site.

"This location will maximize the stadium's exposure," McCaw said, "given the more than 100,000 vehicles that travel the highway each day, while providing Baylor with an extraordinary branding opportunity."

Baylor football has been off campus since 1936, when it moved from the on-campus Carroll Field facility to Waco Stadium (later renamed Municipal Stadium). This is the Bears' 62nd season of football at the 50,000-seat Floyd Casey Stadium, which originally opened as Baylor Stadium in 1950.

Drayton McLane, a former Chairman of the Board of Regents (2002-04) and longtime supporter, has been a strong proponent of moving football back on campus.

"When I went to graduate school at Michigan State, the football stadium was right in the middle of the campus," McLane said in an interview last month with SicEmSports.com. "It was part of the fun with college. Baylor has not experienced that. People go west to the games, and the school is on the east side of the city, so many people won't even see the campus. For a lot of people who go to Texas A&M, Texas Tech or Texas, they get to see their stadium. Baylor is one of the most upbeat and friendly places, but people don't get a chance to see it."

Although he made it clear that the project has not been approved, McCaw said an on-campus, riverfront stadium "would transform our football program, the University and Waco community, while offering one of the most unique and desirable fan experiences in all of intercollegiate athletics."

"Moreover, this facility could lead to many exciting future development options for the Downtown/Brazos River corridor that would dramatically impact all of Central Texas."

Beyond the architectural rendering, one of the first steps in the process will be a fan survey conducted by Conventions, Sports & Leisure that will be mailed out to Baylor Bear Foundation members and football season-ticket holders.

The results of the fan survey and feasibility study will answer questions related to the stadium, including naming rights, stadium revenues, seating capacity, number of suites, club seating, function space and other amenities.

"This is the starting point of a process that will require very strong support from all of those who love Baylor football and want to bring the program back to campus," McCaw said.

Populous has worked on 61 facilities in the state of Texas, including Minute Maid Park and Reliant Stadium in Houston. Other Populous-designed facilities include Heinz Field, Gillette Stadium, Busch Stadium, Yankees Stadium and the University of Minnesota's new on-campus stadium that was built in 2009.

After ending Baylor's 16-year bowl drought with last season's appearance in the Texas Bowl, Briles has made a new on-campus stadium one of his pressing crusades.

"There is a difference between a want and a need," Briles said this summer during one of his Bear Blitz Coaches' Caravan stops. "When you're the only (NCAA Division I) university in the state of Texas that does not have an on-campus stadium, that's a need. It's something that bothers you in the recruiting world. We can tickle each other and giggle all we want, but don't think people don't use that against us. And don't think other universities don't know, because it's true. Real doesn't lie, and that's reality."

Despite committing millions of dollars to stadium improvements over the past two decades, including a new artificial turf last year, Baylor has clearly fallen behind in the ongoing "arms race" for bigger and better facilities.

Texas A&M spent $60 million recently on renovations to Kyle Field. TCU, which is joining the Big 12 for the 2012-13 school year, is finishing up a $150 million renovation to Amon Carter Stadium.

"That's the thing I love about the Big 12: If you yawn, if you sit around and wonder and hope and want, it's not happening," Briles said. "You've got to roll up your sleeves and go to work. And we've got people that are willing to have a bold vision and go to work and lead the charge and get us into the next level that we have to be at."

That likely includes McLane. The Houston Chronicle reports that his sale of the Houston Astros to businessman Jim Crane is expected to be completed at the Major League Baseball owners meeting on Nov. 15-16 in Milwaukee, Wis. Six months ago, Crane agreed on a purchase price of $680 million.

"We certainly made a good deal with Jim Crane," McLane said in the interview with SicEmSports.com. "The money is in the bank. We're just waiting for approval. . . . It will get done."

McCaw said there is no timeline for the stadium project, which must be approved by the Board of Regents, but indicated this is "an opportunity for Baylor University to make a major statement."

Looks pretty nice.

Wishboned
11/7/2011, 10:28 PM
That's going to be one of the nicest half empty stadiums in the country.

BajaOklahoma
11/7/2011, 10:28 PM
Nice concept stadium. It look much larger than the current stadium.
Which brings me to ask, have they uncovered the south endzone seats yet? I would think that they would want to fill the current one on a regular basis before getting a bigger one. Maybe they should ask the Pokes how that works for them.
We've gone to the last 4 Baylor/OU games in Wacko. The stadium is a quarter or more Sooners, with lots of empty seats. But tickets are cheap and we usually sit between the 40 and 50.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 10:35 PM
You're a day late and a dollar short Fraggle: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?162215-Sic-Em-Field-at-Grant-Teaff-Stadium

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 10:36 PM
Nice concept stadium. It look much larger than the current stadium.
Which brings me to ask, have they uncovered the south endzone seats yet? I would think that they would want to fill the current one on a regular basis before getting a bigger one. Maybe they should ask the Pokes how that works for them.
We've gone to the last 4 Baylor/OU games in Wacko. The stadium is a quarter or more Sooners, with lots of empty seats. But tickets are cheap and we usually sit between the 40 and 50.

It looks bigger in the rendering than it's likely to be. The stadium, supposedly, will be 45,000 which is what FCS is w/tarp. FCS is 50k if they remove it. It definitely will not be bigger than FCS, but it may be built in such a way to facilitate future expansion.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 10:41 PM
That ghey roof still makes it look like a soccer stadium.

I do like the fact that it is located along the Brazos.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 10:46 PM
This stadium needs to happen sooner rather than later.

1. It'll provide a showcase facility for people travelling along I-35
2. The location is on-campus and directly across from all of the new sports facilities that Baylor has built within the last 10-15 years including the baseball stadium, the softball stadium, the tennis facility (which is one of the finest in the country for a college program), the soccer fields, and the brand new state of the art football/athletic facility. It's also across from the law school (that building in the lower left corner is the law school for anyone who wants an idea of where on the river this is going to be).
3. There has been a push to start getting this ball rolling since the GuyMo days. GuyMo's first step in rebuilding Baylor football was the construction of a new indoor facility which was completed last year. The second part was to build a new stadium.
4. Drayton McLane is Daddy Warbucks in all of this. Most of the Regents and a healthy portion of the alumni based wanted to completely overhaul FCS instead. McLane made it clear that he would only donate money for the building of a new on-campus facility.
5. The fact that the stadium will now be on-campus with easy access for the students will help a LOT as far as attendance (winning games will help more). There were plenty of times when even I would skip games because I didn't want to deal with the I-35 traffic and hassle of paying some bozo $10.00 to park in their yard so that my stereo could be gone when the game is over.
6. The location of FCS is absolutely terrible. Anything we could do to FCS would simply be lipstick on a pig, and I can't see the sense in dumping such a large amount of money on renovations when a new on-campus facility could be built.
7. The river facility also creates an opportunity for some fun **** like boat tailgating.

There are some drawbacks...that area across the river is basically a swamp. It's going to pose some engineering problems to keep it dry, and I hope they have a plan for saving the stadium if the Brazos floods.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 10:54 PM
The river facility also creates an opportunity for some fun **** like boat tailgating.

There are some drawbacks...

The boat tailgating sounds like a lot of fun. Kind of like McCovey Cove in San Fran. I can only imagine that the good Baptists would have yachts instead of kayaks though.

Drawback...ghey soccer stadium roof.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 10:57 PM
Drawback...ghey soccer stadium roof.
Yeah...that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the rendering. Why are we building a European soccer stadium to play football in?

I am NOT a huge fan of the design. It has grown on me a little the last few days, but I'd much rather see something with a lot less euro influence.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 11:02 PM
What is the huge monolith on the near side of the river?

I definitely like the footbridge to get across the river to the stadium.

BajaOklahoma
11/7/2011, 11:09 PM
Sic'em, we pay 10 bucks and park on the second row from the stadium. Tailgating is easy, people are nice.
We get there early enough traffic isn't a problem. Heck, we've even learned the back streets to take.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 11:32 PM
Sic'em, we pay 10 bucks and park on the second row from the stadium. Tailgating is easy, people are nice.
We get there early enough traffic isn't a problem. Heck, we've even learned the back streets to take.
Don't be sensible. Everyone hates going out to the ghetto and we want some new facility bling!

If by back streets you mean Dutton then wear your flak-jacket! That street is like the highway from the airport to downtown Baghdad.

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2011, 11:37 PM
But, in all honesty, I've never had a big problem with FCS. There are better stadiums to be sure, but there are also much much worse. Baja is right. It's typically a friendly atmosphere, the tickets are cheap, you can park near the stadium (even if it's in someone's yard), and you can almost always get very very good seats once you're in the stadium itself. You can often find a great seat right on the 50-yard line with plenty of elbow and leg room. Who doesn't like that?

One thing that was pointed out, as far as why FCS always looks so empty even when attendance numbers are high, the Baylor student section crams in together like sardines. Especially when it comes to The Line. You barely have room to breathe. If everyone would spread out just a LITTLE it would fill the stadium much better.

Which is why the new stadium should have stadium seating and not bleachers.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 11:40 PM
Don't be sensible. Everyone hates going out to the ghetto and we want some new facility bling!

If by back streets you mean Dutton then wear your flak-jacket! That street is like the highway from the airport to downtown Baghdad.

Really? I had no clue that Waco had teh ghetto hoods.

mdklatt
11/7/2011, 11:40 PM
Will they serve beer at the new stadium?

mdklatt
11/7/2011, 11:42 PM
Really? I had no clue that Waco had teh ghetto hoods.

If you're a skinny, sheltered white boy from podunk Oklahoma, I'm sure lots of places seem like "the ghetto". Of course, I think most small towns in Oklahoma are pretty ghetto, so there you go.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 11:42 PM
Will they serve beer at the new stadium?

O'doul's...on tap!

mdklatt
11/7/2011, 11:48 PM
O'doul's...on tap!

End zone dancing will not only get you a personal foul but will also subject you to potential suspension from the university.

8timechamps
11/8/2011, 12:04 AM
Maybe Baylor's rising football success will help fill a new stadium. As a member school in the Big XII, I would love to see Baylor's stadium sold out on a regular basis.

silverwheels
11/8/2011, 12:10 AM
"Ghey" roof? It's the best part of the stadium and keeps it from being boring.

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2011, 01:37 AM
Here are a couple of additional renderings. Keep in mind that everything south of the river is already built so can see how the new stadium fits with existing facilities. I actually like these two renderings a LOT better than the first by itself.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/stadium1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/stadium2.jpg

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2011, 01:39 AM
If you're a skinny, sheltered white boy from podunk Oklahoma, I'm sure lots of places seem like "the ghetto". Of course, I think most small towns in Oklahoma are pretty ghetto, so there you go.

Eh, that podunk town raised me to be pretty spoiled when it comes to having brand new facilities that are the best in the area. ;)

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2011, 03:04 AM
Does anyone want to go invest some money with me so I can buy a pontoon boat and host "Booze Cruises of the Brazos" on game day? Anyone?

....Ferris?

silverwheels
11/8/2011, 05:26 PM
Does Zima count as booze?

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2011, 05:28 PM
Does Zima count as booze?
In Texas, yes since it's full 2 pts higher than Oklahoma booze. ;)

badger
11/8/2011, 05:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/stadium1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/stadium2.jpg

It looks like a toilet seat from above. No offense.

mdklatt
11/9/2011, 09:20 PM
It looks like a toilet seat from above. No offense.

Maybe they can get one of those fuzzy covers for it to keep the rain out.

Serge Ibaka
11/9/2011, 09:44 PM
I like the roof.

Good for Baylor.

trwxxa
11/9/2011, 09:59 PM
Can I assume the drawings show the Brazos at a 500 year flood level? Seems kinda close. Otherwise, looks nice.

I'm glad to see Baylor finally doing something with all of the Big XII money they have received over the past 15 years.