PDA

View Full Version : Government programs cited as cause of rise in poverty among Hispanics

badger
11/7/2011, 05:02 PM
Link (http://newsok.com/us-poverty-at-new-high-16-percent-or-49.1m/article/feed/315013?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Yup, 16 percent of us, or 49 million-plus, are now considered to be impoverished Americans.

Most interestingly, they are also saying that the number of Hispanics in poverty are now higher than blacks, because government programs are not aiding Hispanics to the degree that they are now aiding blacks.

for the first time, the share of Hispanics living in poverty surpassed that of African-Americans, 28.2 percent to 25.4 percent. That is due to a jump in the poverty rate for Hispanics under the new measure because of lower participation among immigrants and non-English speakers in government aid programs such as housing and food stamps.

children and African-Americans saw declines in their poverty rates, mostly due to the positive effects of government aid programs including food stamps.

I am not sure if these statistics should be trusted. They are basically saying that aid needs to go to older people that have rising medical costs, younger people that have rising child care and commuting costs and northeast/west suburb people due to living expenses.

And as a result, the least in-need are... us???? Yes, the south is probably the lowest cost of living area in the country and as a result, we're, according to statistics, not suffering nearly as much as areas of the country that have had decades of prosperity, thriving economies and population epicenters, etc.

Thus, we must immediately divert all funding to the rust belt and older people.

:mad: I smell a rat.

cleller
11/7/2011, 07:31 PM
Are people more likely, or less likely to prosper if they receive aid from the government?

badger
11/7/2011, 07:53 PM
Are people more likely, or less likely to prosper if they receive aid from the government?

I've thought about this, and decided that if we were to take the "government" out of it and just call it "aid" that there would be less politically-charged answers.

If you inherited cash from your parents and were suddenly able to buy a house and not just rent, that could be considered aid.

If you were hired for a good job by a friend or a family member rather than moping around in unemployment land, that could also be considered aid.

If you live at home with your parents rent-free with free laundry and free food and free other stuff... aid!

So yes, I would have to say that people are better off financially when they receive aid than when they don't, whether it be from the government or elsewhere.

Prosperous aid? Well, I can say that personally I would be saddled with a lot more debt if I didn't get help paying for college from family. So yeah, aid can definitely also help bring prosperity.

A lot of people who don't want government aid aren't beneficiaries themselves (or don't realize that they are) or have been the beneficiary of other types of aid --- huge inheritances, benefits from good jobs, living in a state with lower taxes thanks to state wealth from other areas, it seems.

I've heard stories of kids lamenting the fact that their parents got huge help from their own parents but aren't as willing to help their kids or leave as large of inheritances. The governmental aid thing seems to be the same way --- the older generation is bemoaning cuts to their Social Security COLAs, their medicare plans, etc... but the cuts will make taxes more affordable (and more in line with what older generations paid) for younger generations that are still in the workforce.

cleller
11/7/2011, 08:25 PM
Without trying to sound preachy, I know people that had no electricity or running water, couldn't afford shoes or paper for school (my mom), were born in a dugout in southern Oklahoma, ate possums, bathed in creeks, watched siblings die from contaminated wells, (step-father) grew up in orphanages (father-in-law), and never got a cent from their government.
They managed to not only rise out of poverty, but to prosper in a middle class manner.

Mostly, this was because they fought and worked, and never relied on anyone for help. While doing this, they learned what discipline and resolve can do for a person. The job market these people faced makes today look like Candyland.

yermom
11/7/2011, 08:30 PM
i'm not sure i follow the causality implied by your statement vs. what the article says

it says the ratios change between hispanics vs. blacks due to blacks getting aid, vs. hispanics not. not that government aid is causing poverty

Sooner5030
11/7/2011, 09:54 PM
as long as the threshold is the same for all regions and CPI is the main variable from year to year then I'll ignore any statistical inference regarding poverty.

it's a giant f'ing racket. Other than the leeches/FSA who else benefits the most from SNAP?........WALMART.

Trophy Husband
11/10/2011, 04:31 PM

Define "prosper"

Trophy Husband
11/10/2011, 04:36 PM
There is a segment of the population who would rather lead a meager existence subsidized by Uncle Sam, than work hard to provide a better standard of living. Think about it, some people would rather drive a Toyota and have Uncle Sam pay for it, than drive a Ferrari and have to work their *** off to do so.

cleller
11/10/2011, 06:52 PM
Define "prosper"

obtain the education/jobs necessary to live without assistance from others, and provide for their offspring.

Trophy Husband
11/11/2011, 09:52 AM
obtain the education/jobs necessary to live without assistance from others, and provide for their offspring.

Then the answer to your question is NO! The programs set up by the "guvment" are not designed to breed independence and self reliant, they are designed to make people dependent upon the guvment and those within the guvment who are providing the the benefits.

NormanPride
11/11/2011, 05:21 PM
The hispanics just have to learn the system. Once they start bitching enough and getting their friends elected they will receive the aid that the blacks have worked hard to get.

Wink.

And you can't just call everything "aid" hon. Those examples may be random free benefit without work, but the big difference is that it's not paid for by the average joe's taxes.