PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl sucks.....

SteelClip49
11/7/2011, 03:05 PM
but ESPN's projections are that we make it as an-at large and take on either Boise or Oregon. While I despise that game, it would be great fun to win it, especially if it's against either of those two blowhards.

soonergirlNeugene
11/7/2011, 03:49 PM
SI is saying Boise, Oregon, or Stanford. All rematches of recent postseason games.

85sooners
11/7/2011, 04:03 PM
Phuck the fiesta

SoonerMom2
11/7/2011, 04:13 PM
Please no Stanford in any bowl against us -- cannot stand the tree or the band after the Sun Bowl!

KantoSooner
11/7/2011, 04:14 PM
And with our beat up condition, we could easily lose to any one of those three. Not saying we would, but I'm going to want to see another game out of us before I would be too confident.

yermom
11/7/2011, 04:14 PM
The fiesta bowl blows. Who did the conference **** off to get that bowl tie-in?

SoonerMom2
11/7/2011, 04:17 PM
I think it was because the Cotton Bowl was in horrible shape.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 04:32 PM
You would think someone could revive the Cotton Bowl. Prolly too late now. Jerrah will push his monstrosity.

yermom
11/7/2011, 04:37 PM
They are the same now anyway.

I hate that place too, but at least it's close.

oudivesherpa
11/7/2011, 04:39 PM
Why do the BCS bowls even need conference alignments, the bowls would get much higher fan participation if they rotated the teams from the top ten teams. I think a lot more fans would show up to the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl than going back to the Fiesta Bowl almost every year. Oh wait, if you’re OSU, you have never been to any of those bowls.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 04:41 PM
They are the same now anyway.

I hate that place too, but at least it's close.

Yeah, to me the Cotton Bowl will always be...the actual Cotton Bowl.

stoopified
11/7/2011, 04:50 PM
I would rather attend a Cooton Bowl game in JerryWorld than in that rathole CB Stadium. Move the RRR there too.

yermom
11/7/2011, 04:56 PM
Bite your tongue, sir.

yermom
11/7/2011, 05:00 PM
Why do the BCS bowls even need conference alignments, the bowls would get much higher fan participation if they rotated the teams from the top ten teams. I think a lot more fans would show up to the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl than going back to the Fiesta Bowl almost every year. Oh wait, if you’re OSU, you have never been to any of those bowls.

You can thank the Rose Bowl for that, I'm sure. It would be different if we were still playing to go to Miami most years.

NCarolinaSooner
11/7/2011, 05:02 PM
The Fiesta Bowl sucks so bad they had to bribe people to go last year.

soonercastor
11/7/2011, 05:12 PM
CFN has us in the national championship game.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

FtwTxSooner
11/7/2011, 05:14 PM
Fiesta Bowl has the 1st pick of the at-large teams after the bowls select the replacement teams lost to the NCG. I'd doubt they'd take Boise due to ticket sales.

soonervegas
11/7/2011, 05:18 PM
I would like some of what CFN is smoking....

soonercastor
11/7/2011, 05:19 PM
I would like some of what CFN is smoking....

All we really need is Stanford to lose.

soonervegas
11/7/2011, 05:33 PM

and Kirk to change his tune so his minions don't vote his opinion. Fact is if ESPN keeps beating the rematch drum (which they will) we have no shot. Voters are sheep....

soonercastor
11/7/2011, 05:38 PM
and Kirk to change his tune so his minions don't vote his opinion. Fact is if ESPN keeps beating the rematch drum (which they will) we have no shot. Voters are sheep....

Relax, it won't happen. In fact a few weeks from now you won't hear much about it. All this is just overreaction to what just happened. The bigger threat in that case would actually be Boise St because people really don't like that we lost at home to T. Tech who keeps playing like crap. LSU and Oregon are OUT.

Soonerus
11/7/2011, 06:25 PM
I really like the Fiesta Bowl...

PDXsooner
11/7/2011, 06:46 PM
What, specifically, sucks about the Fiesta Bowl?

BudSooner
11/7/2011, 07:29 PM
What, specifically, sucks about the Fiesta Bowl?Not long ago we used to make fun of Texas and its annual trip to the Holiday Bowl.

OU-Fiesta/Texas-Holiday. Any questions?

VA Sooner
11/7/2011, 07:39 PM
Alabama lost at home. Any other game would be better than a re-match... assuming LSU wins out.

Does OSU go to the Fiesta after we beat them in December? Which at-large team would they be matched against?

PDXsooner
11/7/2011, 07:42 PM
Not long ago we used to make fun of Texas and its annual trip to the Holiday Bowl.

Sure - the Fiesta means that you are the conference champions. The Holiday Bowl means that you are not. Big difference. Why would you correlate the Fiesta Bowl (again, the destination of the conference CHAMP), with a bowl game that is the destination of a team NOT the conference champ?

yermom
11/7/2011, 07:45 PM
What, specifically, sucks about the Fiesta Bowl?

1) it's awful far for a "home" bowl that's not somewhere that nice like Florida

2) tickets are now WAY too expensive. how does the price go up when they dilute the system with another game?

3) bad memories

4) maybe i'm spoiled, but the place already seems outdated with the video screens and stuff. ours are better. the Cotton Bowl's (Jerry World) are way better

5) add those together and the thought of going there a 4th time in 6 years isn't that exciting

6) i already saw Challenger in Lawrence this year

BudSooner
11/7/2011, 07:50 PM
Sure - the Fiesta means that you are the conference champions. The Holiday Bowl means that you are not. Big difference. Why would you correlate the Fiesta Bowl (again, the destination of the conference CHAMP), with a bowl game that is the destination of a team NOT the conference champ?Maybe cause it is the only ****ing bowl it seems we ****ing go to anymore, bowl tie-ins suck dog balls. Maybe we should rename the damn thing the ****ing Oklahoma Bowl?

soonergirlNeugene
11/7/2011, 07:55 PM
Fiesta is definitely the worst of the BCS bowl sites. Though the Sugar can fill this spot anytime LSU plays there.

KABOOKIE
11/7/2011, 07:56 PM
Screw bowls. $300 just to watch a meaningless game?

Chiliman
11/7/2011, 08:04 PM
Please no Stanford in any bowl against us -- cannot stand the tree or the band after the Sun Bowl!
No ****. That band was annoying.

yermom
11/7/2011, 08:16 PM
i liked their band :O

i think it was the Strongbad tuba that won me over

http://www.synicaltek.net/photos/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSC00468.JPG

OUmillenium
11/7/2011, 09:16 PM
I really like the tie in with the Fiesta Bowl until I think about us losing to BSU and WV. Then it kind of wears on me.

Cannot beat the old Big 8 tie in to the Orange Bowl. We need to negotiate that back now that they have improved stadiums.

I am thinking about going to watch the Cotton Bowl this year if there is a decent matchup. I wonder if UTerus would end up there?

I would love for us to meet Arkansas, Florida, or some other quality name team that we haven't beat in the last few years. It would be sorta fun destroying BSU but if its close or we lose, then it would totally suck so that game has no interest for me.

Stanford or Oregon would be an ok matchup.

I think Stanford wins out and plays LSU in the big game.

Soonermagik
11/7/2011, 10:11 PM
If Stanford loses to Oregon and OU wins out.. they are likely headed for the National title game.

8timechamps
11/7/2011, 11:30 PM
Seems like every year, at about this time, we think we have a good idea what the bowl games will be (the meaningful ones anyway), then two or three teams drop the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if LSU AND Bama both lose a game, and Stanford and Okie State both go down. Then we would end up playing Oregon for the title, kinda like everyone predicted before the season started.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2011, 11:43 PM

There may be a few details you're overlooking there.

salth2o
11/7/2011, 11:48 PM
Did it suck this bad when we were making frequent trips to the Orange Bowl? Nothing I loved more than to see oranges flung onto the field. Maybe we ought to start flinging corn chips...

Soonerus
11/7/2011, 11:49 PM
Fiesta Bowl is a great bowl and a great trip...

yermom
11/7/2011, 11:50 PM
There may be a few details you're overlooking there.

it helps if we keep winning, OSU keeps winning and Ball State, FSU and Tulsa keep winning

i think the rest of the Big 12 is likely only playing conference games here on out, so the rest of them don't matter that much since we have or will play all of them

yermom
11/7/2011, 11:53 PM
Did it suck this bad when we were making frequent trips to the Orange Bowl? Nothing I loved more than to see oranges flung onto the field. Maybe we ought to start flinging corn chips...

see, throwing oranges is awesome. that's history and tradition. we just got stuck with the Fiesta because of some likely corrupt sweetheart deal somewhere

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2011, 11:56 PM
it helps if we keep winning,...

That's the little detail I was referring to and 'helps' is a bit of an understatement. We could lose any of the last 3 if we come out as flat as we did against Tech. And little brother could take us even if we play well.

8timechamps
11/8/2011, 12:01 AM
see, throwing oranges is awesome. that's history and tradition. we just got stuck with the Fiesta because of some likely corrupt sweetheart deal somewhere

I think they honestly tried to work out a geographical match. Fiesta makes the most sense that way.

I don't mind the Fiesta Bowl (other than the two times I've been, we've lost). I live in Colorado, so it's nice to get to the warmer weather, play some golf and watch football. Unfortunately, my two trips have made the football part kinda rough.

PDXsooner
11/8/2011, 01:10 AM
Call me crazy, but winning the Big 12 and representing the conference in the Fiesta Bowl is always exciting to me. Yes I'd rather see us in the title game, but I never get tired of watching OU match up with whoever in the Fiesta Bowl.

Comparing OU showing up in the Fiesta to Texas showing up in the Holiday is hilarious...and ignorant! What a dumb point!

Vegas Sooner
11/8/2011, 01:33 AM
What is wrong with a BCS game?

Ton Loc
11/8/2011, 09:14 AM
1) it's awful far for a "home" bowl that's not somewhere that nice like Florida

Florida and nice - first time I've seen those words together.

At least in the Fiesta Bowl you'll never have to worry about playing against a team in their "home" stadium.

olevetonahill
11/8/2011, 09:24 AM
To me the Biggest thing against the Fiesta is it was always a Bowl for the Runner up of the Big 8.
Remember Barry with the Tacos ?

SoonerLaw09
11/8/2011, 01:03 PM
To me the Biggest thing against the Fiesta is it was always a Bowl for the Runner up of the Big 8.

The bag of tacos incident was about the Sun Bowl, not the Fiesta.

yermom
11/8/2011, 01:11 PM

the Fiesta was a made-up bowl for Arizona State to play in (WAC)

until they built the University of Phoenix stadium it was in Tempe where the Insight is now

it's obviously not a bad thing to make the Fiesta, but i'd much rather see the Cotton Bowl become the Big 12 BCS bowl when contracts expire.

Fraggle145
11/8/2011, 04:03 PM
I'd like to the see the Cotton bowl back for the simple fact that we'd have a chance for a "home" MNC game, if we can finally put a year together where we dont blow one game against a ****ty opponent.

olevetonahill
11/8/2011, 04:08 PM
The bag of tacos incident was about the Sun Bowl, not the Fiesta.

My Bad

rekamrettuB
11/8/2011, 04:30 PM
Not long ago we used to make fun of Texas and its annual trip to the Holiday Bowl.

You do know the difference between the Fiesta and the Holiday Bowl?

Not sure why you made fun of Texas for going to the Holiday but nobody's goal at the beginning of each season was to reach the Holiday Bowl. It should be every Big XII - II - I - I + I + I team's goal to reach the Fiesta first and foremost. I used to make fun of Texas and their annual trip to the Holiday as a FU to them for not winning the Big XII.

PDXsooner
11/8/2011, 04:34 PM
Shouldn't it be Big XII - 2 - 1 + 1 - 1 +1?

rekamrettuB
11/8/2011, 04:38 PM
Shouldn't it be Big XII - 2 - 1 + 1 - 1 +1?

Yep...but the transitive property applies. :D