PDA

View Full Version : What I learned from watching the wrong game on Saturday...

delhalew
11/7/2011, 11:06 AM
The first thing I learned was that I should have been watching the Pokes play KSU, but hey know your enemy and what not. I already know what the sheephumpers are all about

The second thing I learned is that LSUs secondary is ripe for the picking. The running game won't get a lot of YAC, but a good offense can make a fool out of the honey badger.

In order to match up with the LSU front seven, you better have an Oline with a lot of depth...know anybody who fits that mold?

Lastly, neither LSU QB is good enough to carve up our D. Keep tabs on Randel, and you are looking good. Spy Jefferson if need be, but I doubt it. Either QB will be a turnover machine.

We match up very well against those guys.

Bama would be pretty one dimensional, if our D would stay disciplined, but I see their D giving us more trouble.

SoonerAtKU
11/7/2011, 11:17 AM
My god, is it really 2008 again?

delhalew
11/7/2011, 11:48 AM
My god, is it really 2008 again?

I don't see a lot of similarity between our team and our 08 team. Nor do I think LSU and 08 Florida have much in common.

Add to that the likelyhood of us being left out of the big game...apples and Oranges.

NormanPride
11/7/2011, 11:52 AM
the 2008 teams would annihilate the teams this year.

starclassic tama
11/7/2011, 12:14 PM
the 2008 teams would annihilate the teams this year.
i agree with this. neither bama or LSU have a quarterback like tebow or a playmaker like harvin. 2008 defense was tough and richardson would have gotten some yards but they would not have been able to throw the ball.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 12:17 PM
This team has less Oline talent, but more depth...the Good situation not withstanding.

SoonerAtKU
11/7/2011, 12:27 PM
I just mean these are the exact same arguments used in 2008 for why Florida wasn't ready for what OU had cooking on Offense and that the Defenses were comparable. I could probably dig through archives and repost some of that stuff with LSU subbed in for Florida and it would fit right in.

We all love OU football, but let's remember what has happened the last two times an all-everything OU offense had to face an SEC team with over a month to prepare. This time, we'd be doing it without our best RB and the best WR to put on an OU jersey.

It's hard to watch a game like Saturday's and not think that OU's offense would steamroll those teams, but it just hasn't happened in recent memory, so where's the disconnect?

LSUdeek
11/7/2011, 12:38 PM
OU's defense will not be able to stop LSU. Not unless Hightower, Johnson, Upshaw, Kirkpatrick, Barron, and Josh Chapman put on OU uniforms.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 12:38 PM
I don't recall ever suggesting a steamrolling. Only that I saw vulnerabilities.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/7/2011, 12:47 PM
In '08 Florida had Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin. lsu this year has nothing even close to comparable. 14 points would probably be enough to beat the tiggers this year.

SoonerAtKU
11/7/2011, 12:53 PM
I don't recall ever suggesting a steamrolling. Only that I saw vulnerabilities.

Well sure, every team has those. You think an LSU or Bama wouldn't be salivating at being able to drop 6-7 into coverage and still defend against the run and be able to apply some small amount of pressure on Jones? We know Reynolds has fought hard to be a starter for OU, and has improved his catching by skills leaps and bounds to do so, but what about Stills, Franks? Those guys haven't historically responded that well to adversity, and having the WRs be blasted off of routes and draped all the way down the field is a frustrating thing that breaks focus.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope that we get the chance to find out in January, but I'm very concerned, and triply so without Whaley and Broyles.

delhalew
11/7/2011, 12:54 PM
OU's defense will not be able to stop LSU. Not unless Hightower, Johnson, Upshaw, Kirkpatrick, Barron, and Josh Chapman put on OU uniforms.

Heh.

SoonerTerry
11/7/2011, 02:35 PM

I don't think Oklahoma wants to buy out their contracts

OUmillenium
11/7/2011, 09:26 PM
I also had renewed hope that OU could hang with LSU/Bama after watching the pathetic qb play on display in the fgfest saturday night.

Of course, the SEC run game would stomp Travis Lewis into the ground. We would have to rely on a pick 6 or two to win a game like this. + Landry puckers and would throw at least 2-3 ints v. that kind of qb pressure so it would be a wash.