PDA

View Full Version : lets say there is a rematch

lasooner123
11/6/2011, 10:00 PM
then LSU is being punished for winning the game at bama. They now have to play one more game the sec championship that alabama wouldnt have to play. one less game to lose for bama.
punish a team for winning? doesnt seem fair

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 10:03 PM
Agree with this. I forget where I saw it, but Doug Gottlieb was basically saying this.

landrun
11/6/2011, 10:03 PM
On the other hand, if the cards fall right and LSU in the only undefeated team, putting any other one loss team in the game over Bama will also be considered unfair. That's why the voters will wait until the final week to decide who makes it to the finally game.

Soonerus
11/6/2011, 10:05 PM
I literally will not watch a rematch...

SoonernAR
11/6/2011, 10:06 PM
regardless how this shakes out, someone is gonna get left out or screwed. A 4 team playoff at least is the only answer.

nighttrain12
11/6/2011, 10:37 PM
regardless how this shakes out, someone is gonna get left out or screwed. A 4 team playoff at least is the only answer.

Playoffs? What other NCAA sport has playoffs? Oh wait, what other collegiate football organization has playoffs? Oh wait, never mind.

soonercastor
11/6/2011, 10:45 PM
The funny thing with a rematch is that it could create the following

LSU 13-1 (loss in MNC on neutral field Vs Bama)

Bama 12-1 (loss at home against LSU and beat LSU in the MNC.

Who do you rank higher? LSU would have a much more impressive resume that's for sure.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 10:54 PM
The problem with your "punished" theory is that Les Miles said on live television last night that he'd be "honored" to play Alabama again in the national title game.

Despite what many of you think, Les Miles isn't stupid:
(1) He got out of Oklahoma State when he got the offer to go to greener pastures
(2) He's turned down the overrated Michigan (his alma mater) job not just once, but twice
(3) He turned down the Michigan job because he's smart enough to understand demographics - the speed is in the South, not the Rust Belt.
(4) He knows an LSU/Bama rematch is recruiting gold. As if the SEC isn't a big enough sell for top recruits these days, you'd have two schools from one conference in the championship game. Any coach in any conference would love to be out on the recruiting trail with that nugget.

SoonerMom2
11/6/2011, 11:39 PM
If LSU/AL play in the National Championship game, then I am not watching either. That was one of the most boring games with some of the worst offenses I have seen in a long time. I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did. AL couldn't even gain yardage in overtime. No thank you. AL is overrated IMHO!

LASooner
11/7/2011, 12:47 AM
I'd rather watch LSU/Boise State than a rematch, I won't even watch if there is a rematch, because the first one was boring enough.

LASooner
11/7/2011, 12:49 AM

LSU losing in New Orleans is a neutral field?

Iam4OUru
11/7/2011, 12:54 AM

LOL...I saw that, too. Kinda like Boise playing UGA in the first game this year...at a "neutral" site...the Georgia Dome.

LSU will lose to Ar-Kansas the day after Thanksgiving. Think there's no shot?

Blue
11/7/2011, 12:57 AM
Bama and Lsu might be the two best teams and they might not. We've seen that on any given day one team can beat another. Example FSU/OU in 2000, Ohio St Miami 2001. In my opinion Bama had their shot. At home. Somebody else should get a shot. As long as we don't have a playoff we have to treat that game yesterday as a semifinal. Otherwise all the talk of the regular season meaning something is just talk.

soonercastor
11/7/2011, 02:36 AM

Theoretically, obviously they have a slight home advantage but it would be nothing like what Alabama had in Tuscaloosa. Thanks for missing the point of the post.

King Crimson
11/7/2011, 07:52 AM
i think the argument for a "rematch" is enhanced by the road team losing in OT, not winning. LSU went into Tuscaloosa and beat Bama at Bryant-Denny so i think you can make a case for LSU getting free of Bama for the BCS title.

but, i doubt the ESPN SEC apparatchiks will see it that way in a month.

NormanPride
11/7/2011, 08:20 AM
I just don't get why Bama not getting a shot at a rematch if there are no other unbeatens is unfair. They got their shot at home and lost. They don't deserve another no matter how many other teams lose ahead of them.

hornswaggled
11/7/2011, 08:26 AM
"We still can go to the national championship," said Bama wide receiver Marquis Maze. "We're still a national championship team. I feel like we're still the best team in the country. Anything can happen."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7198549/no-need-see-sequel-lsu-tigers-alabama-crimson-tide

Maze's belief that AL is the best team is echoed in the article by several AL players. Regardless of the scoreboard there are a lot of other CFB fans and pundits that think this one loss should be discounted and AL is good enough to go to the BCSCG.

Well, let's bring this fuzzy logic to Oklahoma. I doubt anyone honestly believes TTU is a better football team than OU. Nor is it likely that anyone honestly believes any other team that OU beat is better than the Sooners. So, logically the general concensus would be that OU is better than any team they have played. Therefore, doesn't it follow that the Sooners are just as worthy to be in the CCG as AL? If not, then how is it different for Alabama?

King Crimson
11/7/2011, 08:27 AM
I just don't get why Bama not getting a shot at a rematch if there are no other unbeatens is unfair. They got their shot at home and lost. They don't deserve another no matter how many other teams lose ahead of them.

what i think and better said than in my post above.

sooner518
11/7/2011, 10:07 AM
The funny thing with a rematch is that it could create the following

Bama 12-1 (loss at home against LSU and beat LSU in the MNC.

Who do you rank higher? LSU would have a much more impressive resume that's for sure.

The Superdome is not a neutral field if LSU is playing.

and I wouldnt watch either. Nor will I watch ESPN in the week leading up to the game.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 10:13 AM
If it happens, it happens...but I doubt it happens. Rewind back to 06. Everyone thought Michigan-Ohio State should have been a rematch, and in that game, the home team won (Ohio State). Literally THE WEEK before the FINAL BCS poll came out, voters changed their minds. The consensus was NO REMATCH. I guess we shall see....

I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of these teams drop a game between now and then. The energy spent in that game was probably triple the OU-FSU game.

rekamrettuB
11/7/2011, 10:17 AM
If it happens, it happens...but I doubt it happens. Rewind back to 06. Everyone thought Michigan-Ohio State should have been a rematch, and in that game, the home team won (Ohio State). Literally THE WEEK before the FINAL BCS poll came out, voters changed their minds. The consensus was NO REMATCH. I guess we shall see....

I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of these teams drop a game between now and then. The energy spent in that game was probably triple the OU-FSU game.

Was it the week before or a couple weeks. Big 10 schedule usually completed around mid November. I do recall Michigan was 2 until Florida won the SEC title game...then they flopped them.

soonercoop1
11/7/2011, 10:23 AM
If a rematch is allowed it would finally be the end of the BCS...thankfully...

rekamrettuB
11/7/2011, 10:33 AM
If a rematch is allowed it would finally be the end of the BCS...thankfully...

This would be the final, final, final, final nail in the BCS coffin. We've heard this a number of times and the BCS is still kicking.

soonercoop1
11/7/2011, 10:40 AM
This would be the final, final, final, final nail in the BCS coffin. We've heard this a number of times and the BCS is still kicking.

Would guess the other university presidents would be forced to ditch the BCS if 2 SEC teams played for the MNC...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 10:46 AM
Was it the week before or a couple weeks. Big 10 schedule usually completed around mid November. I do recall Michigan was 2 until Florida won the SEC title game...then they flopped them.
From Wikipedia:

There was a great deal of controversy as to who should face Ohio State for the championship: USC, Florida, and Michigan both sat with one loss and voters initially kept Michigan at the number two spot. The following week USC leapfrogged Michigan into the number two spot after an impressive win over a top-10 Notre Dame team. USC, however, was defeated the following week to rival UCLA, leaving the debate open as to whether Michigan or Florida was most deserving of playing against Ohio State. Some media analysts believed that Michigan deserved another shot at the Buckeyes, as Florida was not particularly impressive in their conference championship game against Arkansas. Voters, however, refused to keep Michigan at #2, perhaps because they felt it would be unfair to give Michigan a rematch when Florida also had one loss and won their conference. The decision by the human voters in both the Coaches Poll and Harris Poll proved to be the difference in the final BCS rankings, as Florida edged Michigan by an extremely small margin .

rekamrettuB
11/7/2011, 10:58 AM
From Wikipedia:

I'm sorry...I thought you meant the game itself was the week before the final poll. It looks to me like the pollsters decided against a rematch twice. The initial poll had Michigan, the following had USC, then the next one they elevated Florida. What this tells me is everyone the first week was all over a rematch but as time went on they decided against it. I could see something similar happening here tho.

Zin
11/7/2011, 10:59 AM
The regular season is somewhat of a playoff. Having a rematch would be dumb unless Bama is the only 1 loss team.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry...I thought you meant the game itself was the week before the final poll. It looks to me like the pollsters decided against a rematch twice. The initial poll had Michigan, the following had USC, then the next one they elevated Florida. What this tells me is everyone the first week was all over a rematch but as time went on they decided against it. I could see something similar happening here tho.
What we should take from this is that Michigan had almost EVERYTHING happen to send them to the NC game...
-The Polls directly after the game kept them at #2
-When they were leapfrogged by USC, USC lost the following week.
-Florida was unimpressive in their conference championship game.

However...
-Michigan didn't even play a game after the Ohio State game on Nov 18, this hurt them A LOT.
-Played 3 ranked teams all season: Drubbed #3 Notre Dame at ND, beat #23 Iowa, and lost to #1 Ohio State.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 11:19 AM
Also, Alabama is benefiting from an 8-1 Penn State right now. They are the WORST 1-loss team in the nation.

They have beaten: Indiana State, @Temple, Eastern Michigan, @Indiana, Iowa(who just scored their FIRST offensive touchdown of the year LAST WEEK), Purdue, @Northwestern, and Illinois. There are ZERO quality wins in that group and some close games.

Coming up they play: Nebraska (L), @Ohio State (L), @Wisconsin (R for raping.. oh wait, in light of the situation at Penn State I probably shouldn't say that)

jumperstop
11/7/2011, 12:31 PM
According to that Wiki link, it said extremely close margin. That doesn't bode well I this case since they are already almost certain there will be a rematch. I don't remember this much rematch talk in 06...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 01:05 PM
According to that Wiki link, it said extremely close margin. That doesn't bode well I this case since they are already almost certain there will be a rematch. I don't remember this much rematch talk in 06...
You're right.. it's a pretty similar situation. Bama=Michigan, weak sos, won't play in a CCG etc.
OU=Florida, good sos, played in what amounts to a CCG (Thank God we moved the OSU game to Dec)

Take a look at Florida's schedule in 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Florida_Gators_football_team) and give me a good reason why Michigan deserved a rematch.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 01:09 PM
Here's a video of them talking about a rematch before the game was even played..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vBhO0tcSOs

sound familiar? The more things change....the more they stay the same.

jumperstop
11/7/2011, 01:45 PM
If you had asked me last week I would have said no chance in hell of a rematch. Now I'm not so sure. It also seems like people are counting us out based on the fact we lost Broyles. I know it's not right, but I have heard multiple people who last week were basically cheering for us to somehow find our way back in, this week they are saying well they couldn't win anyways since they don't have Broyles so it seems people don't want to put us in because we can't compete without Broyles. That's probably exageration, but some people probably think this way.

badger
11/7/2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think it happens. Still tons of chances for upsets in this final month of regular season fun.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 02:04 PM
Jumperstop, you're forgetting one crucial piece of the puzzle. This is not your ordinary #3 Oklahoma vs #15 Oklahoma State Bedlam game.
Of course, what HAS to happen is Stanford has to lose. Whether it be to Oregon State or in the Pac12 CCG (which is played the Friday night before Bedlam). By game time, we will know if it's us or Stanford. If they win out, we're just playing to knock OSU out of the NCG.
Also, both Oklahoma State and OU must win out. Duh.

You think ESPN hyped the LSU Bama game? You won't be able to stand watching the coverage leading up to bedlam. ESPN/ABC has rights to the game. CBS had rights to the LSU/Alabama game. It will probably be the first ever sell out of OSU's new stadium.
-Pac12 CCG is on a Friday night=less exposure. DUMB.
-Alabama will be sitting at home watching after Nov 26th.

jumperstop
11/7/2011, 02:11 PM
Jumperstop, you're forgetting one crucial piece of the puzzle. This is not your ordinary #3 Oklahoma vs #15 Oklahoma State Bedlam game.
Of course, what HAS to happen is Stanford has to lose. Whether it be to Oregon State or in the Pac12 CCG (which is played the Friday night before Bedlam). By game time, we will know if it's us or Stanford. If they win out, we're just playing to knock OSU out of the NCG.
Also, both Oklahoma State and OU must win out. Duh.

You think ESPN hyped the LSU Bama game? You won't be able to stand watching the coverage leading up to bedlam. ESPN/ABC has rights to the game. CBS had rights to the LSU/Alabama game. It will probably be the first ever sell out of OSU's new stadium.
-Pac12 CCG is on a Friday night=less exposure. DUMB.
-Alabama will be sitting at home watching after Nov 26th.

It just seems Oklahoma is not one of the media loved teams at this point and that is important in who gets to go. I'm just going to enjoy the season week by week and hope things work out. I will say that us needing other teams to lose makes watching the other games a lot more fun. I would like our shot at LSU because I honestly think we could beat them, but if we don't get our shot it's nobody's fault but our own. I would be ok with playing boise or stanford in the Fiesta bowl though, although I would rather play in any other BCS bowl.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/7/2011, 02:15 PM
It just seems Oklahoma is not one of the media loved teams at this point and that is important in who gets to go. I'm just going to enjoy the season week by week and hope things work out. I will say that us needing other teams to lose makes watching at the other games a lot more fun. I would like our shot at LSU because I honestly think we could beat them, but if we don't get our shot it's nobody's fault but our own. I would be ok with playing boise or stanford in the Fiesta bowl though, although I would rather play in any other BCS bowl.
This is my general sentiment as well. Think all of Sooner Nation won't be switching back and forth between our game and Stanford next week? Definitely.
I absolutely hate the attitude of "we lost to Texas Tech" "we don't deserve to be in the NC" "LSU will destroy us". We don't have to be better than them all year-- we don't have to have a better resume, we don't even have to be more talented. We just have to get lucky, be put into a situation to actually play the game (voters, computers, etc), and be better than the other team for 4 quarters on one given night.

Plus.. there's JUST as great of a chance that we will be blown out in the Cotton Bowl (or any other bowl) as being blown out in the National Championship. Risk/reward would tell you to always go for the NC.

jumperstop
11/7/2011, 02:26 PM
This is my general sentiment as well. Think all of Sooner Nation won't be switching back and forth between our game and Stanford next week? Definitely.
I absolutely hate the attitude of "we lost to Texas Tech" "we don't deserve to be in the NC" "LSU will destroy us". We don't have to be better than them all year-- we don't have to have a better resume, we don't even have to be more talented. We just have to get lucky, be put into a situation to actually play the game (voters, computers, etc), and be better than the other team for 4 quarters on one given night.

Plus.. there's JUST as great of a chance that we will be blown out in the Cotton Bowl (or any other bowl) as being blown out in the National Championship. Risk/reward would tell you to always go for the NC.

Agree, I hate all that stupid ****....I think if they want to give us a chance, then take it. And I hate how people on here are comparing losses. While kinda important, I think in the eye's of the computer wins are more important than losses. Once we get ranked higher in the human polls we'll move up. I'm just concerned that a win over Baylor and a win over ISU isn't going to help much. The difference we'll have to make up with bedlam might be too much to jump in one week. Of course Stanford will have to lose, but I also think we might have to have one of the other possible ncg teams lose as well. Oregon losing to osu at the end of the year or something might help a lot. Hurts lsu at the same time.

rekamrettuB
11/7/2011, 03:15 PM

It was there every bit as much as this year. Before the game, after the game for sure since the visiting team lost a close one by 3. What happened was level heads prevailed. Maybe they won't this year since it is SEC and SEC dominates all things football.

FaninAma
11/7/2011, 04:26 PM
[BCS Blowhard Supporter] The BCS preserves the magic of the best regular season in all of sports and doesn't spoil it by allowing an unworthy team who loses in the regular season to play for the title The BCS insures the magic of D-I college football remains pure and untouched by a playoff that would allow a team that didn't win its conference to play for the championship. It treats the regular season as a playoff and values that you win all of your games you will be ranked ahead of a team that loses a game. A playoff would ruin the regular season and diminish these games . Nobody should get a mulligan. The BCS is not a subjetive beauty contest.[/BCS Blowhard Supporter]

TopDawg
11/7/2011, 06:26 PM
The problem with your "punished" theory is that Les Miles said on live television last night that he'd be "honored" to play Alabama again in the national title game.

Despite what many of you think, Les Miles isn't stupid:
(1) He got out of Oklahoma State when he got the offer to go to greener pastures
(2) He's turned down the overrated Michigan (his alma mater) job not just once, but twice
(3) He turned down the Michigan job because he's smart enough to understand demographics - the speed is in the South, not the Rust Belt.
(4) He knows an LSU/Bama rematch is recruiting gold. As if the SEC isn't a big enough sell for top recruits these days, you'd have two schools from one conference in the championship game. Any coach in any conference would love to be out on the recruiting trail with that nugget.

According to a new book coming out soon (http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2011/oct/25/so-its-lloyd-carrs-fault-new-book-shines-a-not-so-nice-light-on-u-of-m/) your second and third points might not be correct.

Vegas Sooner
11/7/2011, 06:41 PM
Please .....no!!!!