PDA

View Full Version : BCS - If you're going to get mad...

landrun
11/6/2011, 09:52 PM
... then don't get mad at ESPN, the voters etc...

If you're honest with yourself, and #2 OU lost to #1 Texas in overtime by 3, and Bama lost to Vanderbilt at home, you KNOW you would say that it was only fair that OU played for the national championship rather than Bama.

If you're going to get mad, direct your anger at the proper source. The infallible OU coaching staff!

The OU defense is good for a massive choke job a couple of times each year. Its almost a tradition now under our current coaching staff.

Giving up 40+ points to a pathetic team will cost you any shot at a national championship. And it should. I'm not a big enough homer to say otherwise.

I've been mad every since the Tech game. And I've been mad at the OU staff. When I hear people say, "I think this team will be different... this team is focused... etc... " I just sigh. The team isn't the problem. Its the coaching staff. What sucks is this will happen again next year... and the next... and the next... This isn't an abberation! Its the norm! It is a problem with our coaching staff.

And when I hear Stoops say that defensive stats aren't important in the Big XII... I know he's lying. He's basically throwing in the towel trying to convince the fans that in spite of consistently poor performances year after year, our defense is actually good. Truth is, they're not. And they don't know how to correct it.

But for some reason my fellow Sooner fans give this staff a pass year after year. I dont' understand it!! Review this board and look at the threads. If you even hint that Landry Jones was the reason we lost to Tech, you're part of the problem in my opinion. He threw for 5 TD and we lose.

If OU played Bama or LSU last night and all our offense could score was 9 points, either of those offenses would have hung 30+ points on our defense. Fact is, they're not good enough.

I'm convinced we caught lightening in a bottle in 2000. And we have no chance at #8 with our current coaching staff.

As a fan base, we'd be far better off by demanding an explanation from Stoops and co about how a team with National Champions wrote all over them can lay ANOTHER egg and get beat by a SORRY team rather than whining about ESPN wanting anyone but OU to play for the national championship.

We can either demand someone be accounting for the annual lost to Colorado, Tech etc.... or you can get used to being mad each November thinking about what could have and should have been.

And don't tell me that the players need to 'execute'. Using that defense, John Blake would still be our head coach. :hopelessness:

I can't believe we lost to TECH!!! At Home. And they hung 40 on our defense! THAT... is what I'm mad at. The results of that loss are justified and unless you're such a homer you can't see straight, you knew right then and there that night... we kissed any chance at another championship good-bye. .... AGAIN.

cccasooner2
11/6/2011, 09:57 PM
I nominate this post as the worst ever.

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 09:58 PM
That's a lot of words.

lasooner123
11/6/2011, 09:59 PM
some valid points

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 10:00 PM
Oh, I agree...we are the new Virginia Tech...except our head man has a National Championship.

VT gets all the respect in the preseason. Yet finds a way to lose a game or 2 they shouldn't.

Sans 2008, since 2005, that has become the norm.

Our coaching staff knows how to correct it...but Loyalty stands in the way!

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 10:00 PM
IBTL

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 10:01 PM
Oh, I agree...we are the new Virginia Tech...except our head man has a National Championship.

VT gets all the respect in the preseason. Yet finds a way to lose a game or 2 they shouldn't.

Vt sucks...

BoomerSooner123
11/6/2011, 10:02 PM

Except, VT is still "that" team.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 10:07 PM
Except, VT is still "that" team.

And so are we...unfortunately.

I'll give 2009 a pass because of the injuries that derailed our season.

But 2010, we lost to whom? Oh yeah, Missouri and A&M...neither of those teams should have beaten OU, but they did. And in both games we came out flat and stunk it up!

The problem with out team is there is always a game or two our team comes out flat and unprepared or unfocused. I would not say much about it, had it not been a regular thing. And since it is a regular thing, then it has to be the coaches...unless our players feel they are entitled...

It is the coaches job to keep the kids from believing they have accomplished something when they haven't!

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 10:08 PM
Vt sucks...

You can say that all you want.

Fact still remains...VT usually loses one or two games they shouldnt each year!

SoonernAR
11/6/2011, 10:11 PM
what landrun is trying to say, players have come and gone over the years............there is a ugly pattern losing when you shouldn't and some sleepwalking in games. It only leaves the staff to blame.

SoonerBacker
11/6/2011, 10:28 PM
So, who do YOU want fired from the coaching staff? You want Stoops' head or want him to fire Venebales? If it's the latter, who else goes, or do you blame this entirely on Venebales? While it may seem rediculous to some, I am old enough that I can remember many of these SAME arguments being made about Switzer at certain points during his tenure. I was there in 1975 when an unranked Kansas team shut the Sooner Wishbone down and handed us a rather sound defeat. The "fans" in the crowd that day booed the team off the field and there was a lot of talk that Switzer had lost his magic. Could the real problem be that Sooner fans have become spoiled again? If we don't win every game, and don't "hang half a hundred" on EVERY opponent, our "fans" (who generally think they know more about the game than the coaches) get all upset and demand a change.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 10:31 PM
Vt sucks...

You can say that all you want.

Fact still remains...VT usually loses one or two games they shouldnt each year!
If you think we're anywhere near the level of vt you're mentally ill...

landrun
11/6/2011, 10:43 PM
So, who do YOU want fired from the coaching staff? You want Stoops' head or want him to fire Venebales? If it's the latter, who else goes, or do you blame this entirely on Venebales? While it may seem rediculous to some, I am old enough that I can remember many of these SAME arguments being made about Switzer at certain points during his tenure. I was there in 1975 when an unranked Kansas team shut the Sooner Wishbone down and handed us a rather sound defeat. The "fans" in the crowd that day booed the team off the field and there was a lot of talk that Switzer had lost his magic. Could the real problem be that Sooner fans have become spoiled again? If we don't win every game, and don't "hang half a hundred" on EVERY opponent, our "fans" (who generally think they know more about the game than the coaches) get all upset and demand a change.

I was 5 in 1975 so I can't speak to that. But without even looking, I'm willing to bet that it was an odditiy in Switzer's time here. For Stoops and Venables. Losing to inferior talent an annual event. They're making it a tradition! And with Stoops publically declaring that defensive stats don't mean anything in the Big XII, he's telling us all it doesn't bother him and he has no intention of changing it. If that is the case, then I say we let him, Venable and the whole staff go and find someone who wants to be better and win.

Stoops acts like he thinks he built Oklahoma. We were great long before he got here and we'll be great long after he's gone. He has little reason to be as arrogant as he is and is no better with the talent he has then Mike was in Arizona with the talent he had. And honestly, gets out coached by several coaches every year. He just out-talents most teams.

Or we can continue to defend him, pretend we're as good as any other team in the country and settle for being the team that choked their way out of a national championship again... this year... every year.

SoonernAR
11/6/2011, 10:44 PM
@soonerbacker.......if firing staff members was the answer I would rec'd names in my first post. Just seems sooner "magic" has been replaced by sooner "doubt" in some high profile games over the last 7-8 years.

JiminyChristmas
11/6/2011, 10:47 PM
Stoops & co have been here 12 full seasons:

1) 4 of those seasons ended in the NCG (2000, 2003, 2004, 2008)
2) 5 of those seasons we really were not quite good enough for various reasons, injuries, inexp qb, etc (1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009)
3) 3 of those seasons we were probably good enough, but stubbed our toe along the way (2001, 2002, 2010)

A lot of things have to go right to make it to the NCG. Some things are out of anyone's control. In my eyes, to make it more than 50% (4 out of 7) of the time that you are legitimately in the mix is pretty dang good. Wouldn't trade spots with anyone!

Not categorizing 2011 yet because it ain't over yet.

BOOMER SOONER!

landrun
11/6/2011, 10:49 PM
@soonerbacker.......if firing staff members was the answer I would rec'd names in my first post. Just seems sooner "magic" has been replaced by sooner "doubt" in some high profile games over the last 7-8 years.

I honestly don't mind losing high profile or big games. As long as we show up (unlike the defense in the Orange Bow against USC which I witnessed in person)

I'm sick of losing to the Colorado and Texas Techs of the world. Even worse, I'm sick of Stoops acting like its no big deal.

JiminyChristmas
11/6/2011, 11:01 PM
Stoops does not:

1) act like he built OU. He constantly recognizes the history.
2) act like bad losses are no nig deal.
3) keep coaches or recruit players that he thinks aren't qualified.

You could easily argue that OU is the most succesful team in the BCS era. It hasn't been perfect, but sheesh, some people are impossible to please.

OUinFLA
11/6/2011, 11:07 PM
Feed the Monster

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 11:08 PM
Stoops is fine. His only problem is the one brain fart his coaching staff has each year hurts in getting to the national title game. Losing to CU a few seasons ago was atrocious. And, Tech this year...look, despite the injuries, Tech is not a team that should have been able to exploit even our backups. Tech is bad.

The conference titles and BCS games he leads us to are the envy of most in college football. Really, the only two programs you can say that have better situations at the moment are LSU and Bama. That's pretty good company.

My only problem with Stoops is that he's the anti-Switzer when it comes to getting backups playing time. Bob only does is when injuries force it. Switzer would stick guys in there with 30 point leads. So, by the time a guy was a junior, even if he'd been a backup, he'd had real playing time for a couple of seasons with Switz.

Our assistants are fine, too. My only question for the year was why Gabe Lynn and not Aaron Colvin in the Tech start? I thought Colvin did great against Texas in 2010 at corner. Pressed into action, Colvin had five tackles, 1.5 or loss against Texas last year. Pretty heady stuff in a big game for a freshman. Puzzled as to why he wasn't the #2 corner all year.

SoonerBacker
11/6/2011, 11:08 PM
I was 5 in 1975 so I can't speak to that. But without even looking, I'm willing to bet that it was an odditiy in Switzer's time here. For Stoops and Venables. Losing to inferior talent an annual event. They're making it a tradition! And with Stoops publically declaring that defensive stats don't mean anything in the Big XII, he's telling us all it doesn't bother him and he has no intention of changing it. If that is the case, then I say we let him, Venable and the whole staff go and find someone who wants to be better and win.

Stoops acts like he thinks he built Oklahoma. We were great long before he got here and we'll be great long after he's gone. He has little reason to be as arrogant as he is and is no better with the talent he has then Mike was in Arizona with the talent he had. And honestly, gets out coached by several coaches every year. He just out-talents most teams.

Or we can continue to defend him, pretend we're as good as any other team in the country and settle for being the team that choked their way out of a national championship again... this year... every year.

Better take a look back at the Switzer era: 1973: 10-0-1 1974: 11-0 1975: 11-1 1976: 9-2-1 1977: 10-2 1978: 11-1
1979: 11-1 1980: 10-2 1981: 7-4-1 1982: 8-4 1983: 8-4 1984: 9-2-1 1985: 11-1 1986: 11-1 1987: 11-1
1988: 9-3

ONE undefeated season during the reign of The King! Yes, he won 3 NCs, but as has been pointed out, there were a lot of other factors that played into that - other teams losing after we had lost. I can remember the "Bury Barry" signs and the same sort of BS you are posting about Stoops while Switzer was our coach. And before Switzer, there were the "Chuck Chuck" signs (Chuck Fairbanks). Maybe you would rather go back to the Blake era? Not me! I'd rather just see Sooner fans quit being so spoiled and realize how good we actually have it here in Oklahoma!

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 11:18 PM
Better take a look back at the Switzer era: 1973: 10-0-1 1974: 11-0 1975: 11-1 1976: 9-2-1 1977: 10-2 1978: 11-1
1979: 11-1 1980: 10-2 1981: 7-4-1 1982: 8-4 1983: 8-4 1984: 9-2-1 1985: 11-1 1986: 11-1 1987: 11-1
1988: 9-3

ONE undefeated season during the reign of The King! Yes, he won 3 NCs, but as has been pointed out, there were a lot of other factors that played into that - other teams losing after we had lost. I can remember the "Bury Barry" signs and the same sort of BS you are posting about Stoops while Switzer was our coach. And before Switzer, there were the "Chuck Chuck" signs (Chuck Fairbanks). Maybe you would rather go back to the Blake era? Not me! I'd rather just see Sooner fans quit being so spoiled and realize how good we actually have it here in Oklahoma!

I agree with everything you say except this because it assumes that in the coaching universe, OU can only choose between John Blake and Bob Stoops. That is assuredly not the case. If Stoops were to leave, there would be an endless supply of great coaches to replace him...and none of them would be named John Blake.

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 12:33 AM
If you think we're anywhere near the level of vt you're mentally ill...

And you are mentally ill, no just flat out stupid, if you think that is anywhere close to what I said.

cyclonesooner
11/7/2011, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree on all points with Landrun and Tear down this wall. Pretty accurate.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2011, 12:52 AM
As a fan base, we'd be far better off by demanding an explanation from Stoops and co about how a team...

Are you going to go demand an explanation from Stoops? Haven't you seen what he does to guys in his presser when they annoy him? He gets surly and uses sarcasm and makes caustic remarks and in general, makes them feel bad about themselves. If you want to sign up for that buddy, go for it. But don't say you weren't warned.

Ground_Attack
11/7/2011, 04:59 AM
I think people need to keep a stinking perspective. Stoops has had his team in the title game 4 times in 12 years. So we only won 1 time. There are about 110 schools that would LOVE to lose a championship game. I'm not saying that I like my team losing but there are a handful of teams EVERY season that have the ability to win it all and all but one of them will "stub their toe" somewhere along the way. Only 1 team can win the title and some of you act like its our choice whether its OU or not. This fan base is spoiled beyond belief.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 05:33 AM
Just seems sooner "magic" has been replaced by sooner "doubt" in some high profile games over the last 7-8 years.

You mean like Texas Tech at home this year???

SoonernAR
11/7/2011, 05:58 AM
Yep, even as we were climbing back into the game......I wasn't feeling the belief in the magic from our kids.

ouflak
11/7/2011, 06:07 AM
Yep, even as we were climbing back into the game......I wasn't feeling the belief in the magic from our kids.

Sorry but I don't consider Texas Tech a high profile game. We were supposed to blow them out. We knew it. They knew it. Vegas (even Soonerfans vBookie) knew it. There was no pressure. All we had to do was go out and run our vanilla package and make sure nobody gets hurt. I'm not saying coaching didn't help us lose that game in anyway, but you can't compare that to the Missouri/A&M games last year or any of our OSU games. We've responded in big pressure neutral/away games before even with this team this season. If we had won that Tech game by 3, and had the same subsequent results, this thread wouldn't exist.

OUNASH
11/7/2011, 06:55 AM
If you look at the NFL talent Oklahoma has had over the last several years there is no reason we shouldnt have won number 8 by now. I have thought for the last 7 years that something should change in the coaching staff. Stoops has lost some valuable talent to head coaching positions and has not replaced it with the same caliber of staff.
I realize there are several programs that would trade places with us in a heart beat and I believe we are spolied, however, there are no excuses for laying eggs against an inferior opponent. I think a shake up at defensive coord. and at O-line coach would be a good start for a change that is needed.

OU Adonis
11/7/2011, 07:17 AM
1 win 3 losses in the NC games. Biggest stat.

mainline13
11/7/2011, 07:35 AM

But 2010, we lost to whom? Oh yeah, Missouri and A&M...neither of those teams should have beaten OU, but they did. And in both games we came out flat and stunk it up!

The problem with out team is there is always a game or two our team comes out flat and unprepared or unfocused. I would not say much about it, had it not been a regular thing. And since it is a regular thing, then it has to be the coaches...unless our players feel they are entitled...

It is the coaches job to keep the kids from believing they have accomplished something when they haven't!

And if the coaches are seriously doing everything that they can think of to get past that, but the players still don't get it? Fire them all? Play all the walk-ons?

Recruit kids with a better attitude, that might work. But then we'll be getting our asses handed to us by more talented teams. Because the reality is, the more talented a player is, the more likely that player will have that entitled mentality.

I try to get my kids to learn from my mistakes, but that usually doesn't work. People have to make their own mistakes. And sometimes they still won't learn.

cherokeebrewer
11/7/2011, 07:44 AM
Good grief...

70sooner
11/7/2011, 07:56 AM
But without even looking, I'm willing to bet that it was an odditiy in Switzer's time here.

without looking back, the 78 Orange Bowl vs Ark sure sticks out......

OUNASH
11/7/2011, 08:12 AM
But without even looking, I'm willing to bet that it was an odditiy in Switzer's time here.

Switzer teams did not lay eggs every season. I was there in 75 when Kansas beat us and I know about the early 80s when we were sub par. When Switzers teams had the talent, the only true loses came against good to great teams.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2011, 09:27 AM

So, Switzer...3-2 in games that would have won OU the national title (we had a shot in '84 as well, but lost to Washington in the Orange Bowl).

and

Stoops...1-3

I don't think there's any shame in what Bob has done. The problem isn't so much with Bob. It's just that when we get to the national title games, we've gone through an easier schedule than most people think.

People used to be fooled into thinking high scoring Big 12 offenses meant dominant teams. That really isn't the case. The 2000 Sooners were a textbook case of defense winning championships.

We set all kinds of offensive records in 2003 and 2008. But, the competition was ****-poor Big 12 defenses. We were exposed by very fast LSU and Florida defenses.

The USC game, I'll never be able to explain. After the muffed punt, we fell apart for no good reason.

Nonetheless, Bob Stoops is fine. His coaching staff is fine. He gets us there more than anyone else in the country. I'd say he, Les Miles, Urban Meyer, and Nick Saban are the standards right now. You just wonder when Urban will end up. My guess is Ohio State makes a run at him after the season. I just wonder if he's as smart as Les Miles and turns it down due to the better recruiting being in the south from Texas, east to Florida.

Ton Loc
11/7/2011, 09:39 AM
Lack of perspective is awesome! Only the in game threads could compare to the ridiculousness in this thread. Yeah! Lets talk about the 70's and 80's - we'll forget about the losses back then and the fact College football was a completly different sport.

rock on sooner
11/7/2011, 09:44 AM
Ground_attack, while I agree that the vast majority of coaching experts, Monday morning QB's and know-it-all's in general are spoiled
beyond belief, they are the vocal minority of the Sooner fan base. Places like this board gives voice to everyone and it is easy to be
so authoritative and knowledgeable from the keyboard. What would be terrifying is if some of these folks were in a position to effect
the changes they espouse. In short order, OU would rank somewhere in the 100's of the FBS, not the consistent top 10 as is now the
case.

cherokeebrewer
11/7/2011, 10:50 AM
Lack of perspective is awesome! Only the in game threads could compare to the ridiculousness in this thread.

That much is certain...

prrriiide
11/7/2011, 11:57 AM
I've asked before and gotten crickets...

If you fire Venables, WHO IS GOING TO REPLACE HIM? Name ONE defensive coord in FBS that is as good or better than Venables AND would be willing to leave his current position to come to OU.

Oh, and before you answer, you better make damned sure this DC has never been pantsed in a game his team should have won.

/thread

cantwait48
11/7/2011, 12:19 PM
We need to get better and more than anything deeper on defense. We seem to lose the mlb every year for at least a game or two if not the season and it always kills our defense. All the way back to Lance Mitchell in '03, ofcourse lofton left early which really hurt our D in '08 but we had a good replacement in reynolds, who then got hurt, Wort was out against tech. We need to get deeper in terms of talent on defense and like was said above play the backups more. When a starter goes out there should not be a glaring hole. Maybe we have had too many misses in recruiting or something or maybe we are just not developing the young guys quickly enough but we need to improve in this area.

I really do not have much of an issue with our offense. I do not think it matters what scheme you run as long as you are good and have a great defense. Ofcourse it would be great if our run game was as good as it was in '08 every year but this is not going to happen. Anyway, if we could pick it up a notch in recruiting defensive players and developing them we can win another one with this staff.

tator
11/7/2011, 12:25 PM
The sky is falling again?

OUNASH
I've asked before and gotten crickets...

If you fire Venables, WHO IS GOING TO REPLACE HIM? Name ONE defensive coord in FBS that is as good or better than Venables AND would be willing to leave his current position to come to OU.

Oh, and before you answer, you better make damned sure this DC has never been pantsed in a game his team should have won.

/thread

There is one Mike Stoops available. Yes he has been, as you say pantsed, but not as often as Mr. V. He could possibly bring back a little swagger and river boat gambler Bob has missed since he left. Mike would compliment Bob in my opinion. Go ahead and flame.

badger
While playing for a national title would be nice, I'm fine with meeting Bammer in a bowl game. In fact, it's what both of our fanbases have been craving since we had home-and-home in 2002/2003.

Since we each have one loss, let's meet up in a BCS game and have fun with it.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/7/2011, 12:41 PM
We should fire Stoops, just to see how quickly Florida drops messchump and gives Stoops a $5 mil a year contract:crappy rolleyes icon:

cccasooner2
11/7/2011, 01:31 PM
I agree with everything you say except this because it assumes that in the coaching universe, OU can only choose between John Blake and Bob Stoops. That is assuredly not the case. If Stoops were to leave, there would be an endless supply of great coaches to replace him...and none of them would be named John Blake.

Not saying Stoops is a John Wooden or anything but those who "knew basketball" in LA were calling for his head when he wasn't going undefeated. 35 years later they still haven't found anyone to satisfy the knowlegeable crowd. :)

SoonerLaw09
11/7/2011, 01:47 PM
Within the system we are currently operating, winning a NC is insanely hard. The fact that we've gotten the opportunity 4 times in the last 11 years is amazing in and of itself. Other than TGOWWDNS, we won 1 and were in the game until the end in the other 2. Against LSU we had a QB with one leg and one arm. We played Florida tough and if it weren't for a couple of receivers who suddenly got cement hands, we win that one.

I don't like it any more than the rest of you that we seem to have a coupla games every year where the D comes out flat as a pancake. I wish there was an explanation. But fact is, it hasn't mattered that much. One-loss teams get into the NCG most of the time. In 1985 we lost to Miami (lest we forget) and won the championship anyway. Look at when our MNCs have been...the 50s during the streak (which will never be broken), the 2 1970s...then 10 years until our next one, then 15 years after that. I think we're due pretty soon. But nobody can argue with the level of success we have had. Without a playoff, to win a MNC requires a lot of stuff we can't control to fall into place. Going undefeated these days is incredibly difficult (unless you have a crap schedule, like Bois Estate). I'll be surprised if LSU or Stanford pulls it off.

cvsooner
11/7/2011, 01:55 PM
So, who do YOU want fired from the coaching staff? You want Stoops' head or want him to fire Venebales? If it's the latter, who else goes, or do you blame this entirely on Venebales? While it may seem rediculous to some, I am old enough that I can remember many of these SAME arguments being made about Switzer at certain points during his tenure. I was there in 1975 when an unranked Kansas team shut the Sooner Wishbone down and handed us a rather sound defeat. The "fans" in the crowd that day booed the team off the field and there was a lot of talk that Switzer had lost his magic. Could the real problem be that Sooner fans have become spoiled again? If we don't win every game, and don't "hang half a hundred" on EVERY opponent, our "fans" (who generally think they know more about the game than the coaches) get all upset and demand a change.I was there too. It was pathetic how quickly fans turned on the team and the coaching staff that wound up winning another national championship THAT SEASON. And...it was Switzer's FIRST LOSS EVER. Coaching sure has a hard time making up for losing nine fumbles, or whatever it was. It was a bunch.

Also...we never give credit to the other team. We always lose. They never ever beat us. We lose.

Do you realize how ridiculous you do sound with these kinds of rants?

prrriiide
11/7/2011, 02:14 PM
There is one Mike Stoops available. Yes he has been, as you say pantsed, but not as often as Mr. V. He could possibly bring back a little swagger and river boat gambler Bob has missed since he left. Mike would compliment Bob in my opinion. Go ahead and flame.

All kinds of problems there...

Fire one of the most respected (nationally) and successful DCs in the business, then hire your brother? Stoops is a lot smarter than to do something like that. I could see it if BV left voluntarily, but that doesn't seem to be an assured thing. People frown on nepotism.

Will Mikey go back to asst. status? Surely he has enough money to live comfortably until a HC job comes along. So there's no guarantee he'd take the job if it were open.

How do we know that Mikey would be better? BV is pretty fiery and animated, so do you think that's all we need is more of that? How do we know Mikey is a better X's guy than BV? You can get as excited as you want, but if you don't have the gameplan, you lose.

As appealing as the good ole days might be, they are the past. That's probably where they should stay.

PalmBeachSooner
11/7/2011, 02:26 PM
If you look at the NFL talent Oklahoma has had over the last several years there is no reason we shouldnt have won number 8 by now. I have thought for the last 7 years that something should change in the coaching staff. Stoops has lost some valuable talent to head coaching positions and has not replaced it with the same caliber of staff.
I realize there are several programs that would trade places with us in a heart beat and I believe we are spolied, however, there are no excuses for laying eggs against an inferior opponent. I think a shake up at defensive coord. and at O-line coach would be a good start for a change that is needed.

I would argue that OU doesn't have any huge advantage in NFL talent. At least not when it comes to other top programs. At then end of the day you are only as strong as your weakest link.

marfacowboy
11/7/2011, 02:28 PM
The sky is falling again?

apparently so

marfacowboy
11/7/2011, 02:28 PM
You know, if we applied the BCS system to Major League Baseball, the Cardinals wouldn't be World Champions....

badger
11/7/2011, 02:31 PM
You know, if we applied the BCS system to Major League Baseball, the Cardinals wouldn't be World Champions....

I agree. Time to get a new system to determine a national championship, especially if its LSU/Bammer for the title :mad:

jumperstop
11/7/2011, 02:35 PM
I agree. Time to get a new system to determine a national championship, especially if its LSU/Bammer for the title :mad:
I'll wait and say that until after this year. If we somehow get it I don't think there is any Sooner fan that should want it to change....I would say for the most part it's done a pretty good job of determining the two best teams. I think a playoff would ruin the regular season. Like right now, instead of all this interest in other games and who has to lose, we'd be like "oh well, we'll be in if we win out. Hell we could be in even if we lost to osu...." Unless it picks two teams from the same conference, then I might be for a playoff because that's ****ing stupid....

cherokeebrewer
11/7/2011, 02:38 PM
But nobody can argue with the level of success we have had.

Well, there are some 'fans' who think they can...

marfacowboy
11/7/2011, 02:47 PM
I'll wait and say that until after this year. If we somehow get it I don't think there is any Sooner fan that should want it to change....I would say for the most part it's done a pretty good job of determining the two best teams. I think a playoff would ruin the regular season. Like right now, instead of all this interest in other games and who has to lose, we'd be like "oh well, we'll be in if we win out. Hell we could be in even if we lost to osu...." Unless it picks two teams from the same conference, then I might be for a playoff because that's ****ing stupid....

Well, I think there should be some regular season qualifying process and then make the bowls part of the playoff structure. There are ways to make it more fair and retain the best of what we have.

OUNASH
11/7/2011, 04:56 PM
All kinds of problems there...

Fire one of the most respected (nationally) and successful DCs on the business, then hire your brother? Stoops is a lot smarter than to do something like that. I could see it if BV left voluntarily, but that doesn't seem to be an assured thing. People frown on nepotism. ( I said nothing about firing Brent) ( As far as nepotism, Bob didnt have a problem with it the first time and wouldnt again given the chanace per his interview on ESPN a week or so ago.)

Will Mikey go back to asst. status? Surely he has enough money to live comfortably until a HC job comes along. So there's no guarantee he'd take the job if it were open. ( Mike will not get a Head Coaching job for awhile and probably would love a chance to coach with his brother again)

How do we know that Mikey would be better? BV is pretty fiery and animated, so do you think that's all we need is more of that? How do we know Mikey is a better X's guy than BV? You can get as excited as you want, but if you don't have the gamelan, you lose. ( Mike could out game plan Brent 9 out of 10 times our defenses didnt seem to lay eggs 2 or 3 times a year under Mike.)

As appealing as the good ole days might be, they are the past. That's probably where they should stay. ( I like the good ol days, and I say bring back Mike)

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2011, 05:11 PM
I remember Switzer's teams getting pantsed by Stanford in 1980 at home, and West Virginia also in 1981 at home; we lost to Washington in the 84 Orange Bowl, both OSU and Colorado in 76, Kansas in 75 and of course the infamous 77 Orange Bowl against Arky; there's 7 games right there were OU was more than likely a double digit favorite but ended up losing; it's just too damn hard to win them all every season.

UTgradOUfan
11/7/2011, 05:44 PM
... then don't get mad at ESPN, the voters etc...

If you're honest with yourself, and #2 OU lost to #1 Texas in overtime by 3, and Bama lost to Vanderbilt at home, you KNOW you would say that it was only fair that OU played for the national championship rather than Bama.

If you're going to get mad, direct your anger at the proper source. The infallible OU coaching staff!

The OU defense is good for a massive choke job a couple of times each year. Its almost a tradition now under our current coaching staff.

Giving up 40+ points to a pathetic team will cost you any shot at a national championship. And it should. I'm not a big enough homer to say otherwise.

I've been mad every since the Tech game. And I've been mad at the OU staff. When I hear people say, "I think this team will be different... this team is focused... etc... " I just sigh. The team isn't the problem. Its the coaching staff. What sucks is this will happen again next year... and the next... and the next... This isn't an abberation! Its the norm! It is a problem with our coaching staff.

And when I hear Stoops say that defensive stats aren't important in the Big XII... I know he's lying. He's basically throwing in the towel trying to convince the fans that in spite of consistently poor performances year after year, our defense is actually good. Truth is, they're not. And they don't know how to correct it.

But for some reason my fellow Sooner fans give this staff a pass year after year. I dont' understand it!! Review this board and look at the threads. If you even hint that Landry Jones was the reason we lost to Tech, you're part of the problem in my opinion. He threw for 5 TD and we lose.

If OU played Bama or LSU last night and all our offense could score was 9 points, either of those offenses would have hung 30+ points on our defense. Fact is, they're not good enough.

I'm convinced we caught lightening in a bottle in 2000. And we have no chance at #8 with our current coaching staff.

As a fan base, we'd be far better off by demanding an explanation from Stoops and co about how a team with National Champions wrote all over them can lay ANOTHER egg and get beat by a SORRY team rather than whining about ESPN wanting anyone but OU to play for the national championship.

We can either demand someone be accounting for the annual lost to Colorado, Tech etc.... or you can get used to being mad each November thinking about what could have and should have been.

And don't tell me that the players need to 'execute'. Using that defense, John Blake would still be our head coach. :hopelessness:

I can't believe we lost to TECH!!! At Home. And they hung 40 on our defense! THAT... is what I'm mad at. The results of that loss are justified and unless you're such a homer you can't see straight, you knew right then and there that night... we kissed any chance at another championship good-bye. .... AGAIN.

I am familiar with this type of post. I have seen them often. But where? Oh yeah, now I remember, this is what I read on whornfans.
The OP has a problem because he is a problem.
We won last Saturday. We beat a good football team that beat us last year. Paid a terrible price, losing a great player and a true champion.
But our cranky OP has to reach back three weeks and throw the above tantrum.
Sad. He would make a super whorn fan.
He needs to get laid.
Soon

Boomer Mooner
11/7/2011, 05:52 PM
I am familiar with this type of post. I have seen them often. But where? Oh yeah, now I remember, this is what I read on whornfans.
The OP has a problem because he is a problem.
We won last Saturday. We beat a good football team that beat us last year. Paid a terrible price, losing a great player and a true champion.
Sad. He would make a super whorn fan.
He needs to get laid.
Soon

I agree. Phuck him.

starclassic tama
11/7/2011, 05:57 PM

!

i'll give you maybe A&M shouldn't have beaten OU last year, but i disagree about missouri. they had an NFL calibre quarterback, as well as a few other NFL guys on offense. aldon smith was a superstar on defense... overall OU was probably better than missouri, but when you go on the road against a talented team you very well could lose.

cccasooner2
11/7/2011, 06:26 PM
Sad. He would make a super whorn/OSU (my edit) fan.
He needs to get laid.
Soon

Baaaaa or moooo?