PDA

View Full Version : So with Bama #3 in BCS....

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:23 PM
How does this set up if OU, Bama, LSU, and Oregon win out?

I have a feeling even if OU continues to win they will not jump Bama if Bama does not lose again. If this does happen, then the SEC would have both spots in the BCS title game.

Would it then be enough for people from all walks of life say enough of this BCS mess and time to settle it on the field?

I know the TTU loss really hurts us. But after watching one of the most boring games of all time last night, I cannot for the life of me understand the love that Bama or LSU is getting.
Sure they have good defenses...but their offenses suck.

I honestly think (trying to stay unbiased here) that OU's defense is every bit as good as LSU and Bama's defenses.

(Since I cannot create a poll here)....

Would you watch a rematch of LSU vs. Bama in the BCS title game?

OU really needs FSU and Tulsa to continue to win...as well as A&M to stop its skid and get KSU and Texas to continue to win.

picasso
11/6/2011, 09:26 PM
I say we win out, beat oSu's *** and then worry about those dorks and their polls.

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 09:28 PM
LSU basically won the NC Saturday. There's not a team that can beat them in New Orleans. They proved to be better than Alabama, which was their toughest test, and would remain as their toughest test because of their D, and where the game was played.

You put Bama in the Dome against LSU and its crowd, and LSU wins by two TD's.

agoo758
11/6/2011, 09:29 PM
This would make the case for giving computers 90 percent influence, not the ridiculous 1/3rd that it is right now.

dennis580
11/6/2011, 09:33 PM
Actually OU beating a undefeated OSU on the road at the end of the year gives those voters who don't want a rematch the perfect excuse to move OU ahead of Bama, and Oregon.

OU isactually in far better shape then most people think. If Stanford loses, and OSU stays undefeated to the end year our chances are pretty good at getting in if we win out, and a blowout over OSU would basically make us a LOCK to get in.

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 09:35 PM
Would it then be enough for people from all walks of life say enough of this BCS mess and time to settle it on the field?

The problem is, it WAS settled on the field - last night. Bama should not get another shot. The only fanbase who thinks they should get another shot are the folks in Tuscaloosa.

dennis580
11/6/2011, 09:36 PM
LSU basically won the NC Saturday. There's not a team that can beat them in New Orleans. They proved to be better than Alabama, which was their toughest test, and would remain as their toughest test because of their D, and where the game was played.

You put Bama in the Dome against LSU and its crowd, and LSU wins by two TD's.

If we have learned anything its that just about any team can beat any other team on any given day. Texas Tech beating us at home, and then getting destroyed by Iowa St, and Texas should have drove that point home to you.

mhackl
11/6/2011, 09:36 PM
I would love to think that OU's defense is on par with Alabama's or LSU's, but I just don't see it. We've had moments where we looked like it, but also plenty of moments where we didn't.
However, offense is very different story, but without our star receiver and starting running back I don't think that it would be enough to overcome the difference in defenses.

BoomerSooner3
11/6/2011, 09:37 PM
I honestly think (trying to stay unbiased here) that OU's defense is every bit as good as LSU and Bama's defenses.

Try again. Bama and LSU have significantly better defenses than OU. If you think either of those teams would give up 40 points to Texas Tech (let alone any team in the entire country), then you are out of your mind.

GreenSooner
11/6/2011, 09:37 PM
This would make the case for giving computers 90 percent influence, not the ridiculous 1/3rd that it is right now.

Computers are only as good as their programmers, and the computer "polls" are often as arbitrary as poll voters. One of the computer polls, for example, takes into account where a school finished in the previous year.

LRoss
11/6/2011, 09:41 PM
I think it would be very close and very messy. I definitely don't see OU as a lock in that situation. I think without question Oregon will jump us this week if they win, although I'm optimistic that we would return the favor by beating State. As for 'Bama, it's a little disconcerting that they still have better computer numbers than we do. They still have Georgia Southern left (really?) so I don't know how much that would hurt them, and perhaps a lot would end up depending on "style" for all three teams. I suppose I would hedge my bet toward OU, but mostly I'd just say close and messy!

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 09:41 PM
Classics don't have four interceptions, four missed field goals, 13 penalties, one fumble, one botched punt return and zero touchdowns. A punter shouldn't be the best player on the field in a classic. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7198549/no-need-see-sequel-lsu-tigers-alabama-crimson-tide)

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 09:43 PM
No way OU's defense is anywhere near that of Bammer or LSU...not even on a good day.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:45 PM
The problem is, it WAS settled on the field - last night. Bama should not get another shot. The only fanbase who thinks they should get another shot are the folks in Tuscaloosa.

So the national championship was settled last night?

So the BCS should just give the trophy to LSU?

WTFever!

The only thing proven last night was how pathetic both teams offenses were...nothing more!

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:50 PM
Try again. Bama and LSU have significantly better defenses than OU. If you think either of those teams would give up 40 points to Texas Tech (let alone any team in the entire country), then you are out of your mind.

I think either of those teams, had they had to play teams with spread offenses week in and week out would in fact give up 40 points.

That said, WVU took LSU to the limit. Had it not been for 4 turnovers for WVU and even ST td, then that game would have been different (not saying different winner). I mean, LSU gave up over 500 yards against WVU...over 400 of that was through the air....

Let me tell you, that defense really is something special.

In fact, both those defenses are geared to stopping the power rushing attacks of the SEC. Put a spread offense with the talent to match their defense, then I'll take the team with that spread offense.

In other words, neither of those defenses would be able to hold our offense to less than 17 points. While I think our defense could hild their offenses to less than 17 points.

yermom
11/6/2011, 09:51 PM

the computers are much more likely to put those teams in a rematch than the humans are

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:51 PM
Computers are only as good as their programmers, and the computer "polls" are often as arbitrary as poll voters. One of the computer polls, for example, takes into account where a school finished in the previous year.

But at the same time, a computer doesn't distinguish a team by conference or name. Unlike the Human polls do.

Honestly, say the Big 12 has won the last 5 national championships. Do you think OU would be #7, while Bama after a home loss would be only #4 in the human polls?

No!

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:53 PM
No way OU's defense is anywhere near that of Bammer or LSU...not even on a good day.

I guess you missed that LSU/WVU game. I guess you missed the OU/FSU game, or the OU/KSU game.

Yeah, I would say on a good day, OU's defense rivals any defense in the nation!

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 09:54 PM
the computers are much more likely to put those teams in a rematch than the humans are

Not with the Big 12 being the #1 conference in the computer polls.

soonercastor
11/6/2011, 09:54 PM
OU really needs FSU and Tulsa to continue to win...as well as A&M to stop its skid and get KSU and Texas to continue to win.

Tulsa and FSU yes. What other teams do in our conference DOES NOT matter.
e.g.: Texas loses to Mizzou it makes the Texas win look worse but at the same time it makes the Mizzou win better and vice-versa.

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 09:55 PM
So the national championship was settled last night?

So the BCS should just give the trophy to LSU?

WTFever!

The only thing proven last night was how pathetic both teams offenses were...nothing more!
That's not what I said (or implied). My point was that the Bama/LSU issue was settled last night. And the fact that it was a home game for them was a perfect setup. Bama should not get a second chance.

landrun
11/6/2011, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=OU_Sooners75;3392659]
[QUOTE]

It never ends!!!!

Our defense isn't even close!!!:uncomfortableness:

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=OU_Sooners75;3392659]
[QUOTE]

It never ends!!!!

Our defense isn't even close!!!:uncomfortableness:

Our Defense is very close.

Outside of the TTU game, our defense has played very good this year. And the fact that there are a ton of the points on our defense that come in trash times tells you what our defense can do when they are focused!

yermom
11/6/2011, 10:05 PM
or when all of them are playing...

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 11:14 PM

I have a feeling even if OU continues to win they will not jump Bama if Bama does not lose again. If this does happen, then the SEC would have both spots in the BCS title game.

I know the TTU loss really hurts us. But after watching one of the most boring games of all time last night, I cannot for the life of me understand the love that Bama or LSU is getting.

Both the LSU and Bama offenses were averaging 39+ points per game going into yesterday's game. How is that "suck"?

Let's be honest: Their offense are fine; their defenses, though, are fantastic. No one else has been able to hold these offenses in check all season long.

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 11:30 PM
Both the LSU and Bama offenses were averaging 39+ points per game going into yesterday's game. How is that "suck"?

Let's be honest: Their offense are fine; their defenses, though, are fantastic. No one else has been able to hold these offenses in check all season long.

Their offenses are "fine" because, between the two, they played against 7 defenses that are ranked in the top 50 nationally. And only 5 of 'em are in the SEC and the list includes Kent St.

SoonerofAlabama
11/7/2011, 12:06 AM
Not with the Big 12 being the #1 conference in the computer polls.

They aren't anymore. Since a few big 12 teams dropped out of the top 25, the SEC has take over in the computers again.

Frozen Sooner
11/7/2011, 12:14 AM
They aren't anymore. Since a few big 12 teams dropped out of the top 25, the SEC has take over in the computers again.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Is Sagarin not a computer?

http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2011/CC_10.htm

Billingsley?

http://www.andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html

Anderson?

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

Colley?

EatLeadCommie
11/7/2011, 12:17 AM
While I am not particularly sympathetic to LSU, especially since they get to play at home for the NC YET AGAIN, it would be completely unfair to ask them to play Alabama again for the NC. They beat them in their own house in the most highly touted game of the last 10 years. It would also not be fair for them to play Oregon again.

We lost to a lousy team and don't deserve anything more than the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather endure a Bama-LSU rematch over watching us get drilled yet again on the big stage because we don't have Broyles or Whaley or really a chance. Frankly, I don't think we beat the Pokes without Broyles anyway so it's probably a moot point.

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 12:27 AM

Yeah, because it is the top 25 that determines what the computers think or compute.

The SEC has had more teams ranked all season long. The fact that the computers say the Big 12 is the best, means top to bottom. Unlike most years, the Big 12 is a stronger conference from 1st to last than the SEC is from 1st to last.

It has nothing to do with the human bias that will always have 6-7 teams from the SEC in the top 25. just the mere fact that more voters are from the SE US will always back that up!

Iam4OUru
11/7/2011, 12:30 AM
While I am not particularly sympathetic to LSU, especially since they get to play at home for the NC YET AGAIN, it would be completely unfair to ask them to play Alabama again for the NC. They beat them in their own house in the most highly touted game of the last 10 years. It would also not be fair for them to play Oregon again.

We lost to a lousy team and don't deserve anything more than the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather endure a Bama-LSU rematch over watching us get drilled yet again on the big stage because we don't have Broyles or Whaley or really a chance. Frankly, I don't think we beat the Pokes without Broyles anyway so it's probably a moot point.

Please stop posting.

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 12:30 AM

So when you jumping to the OSU bandwagon? You sound much like their fan base. I am very confident that if OU brings their best game, they can beat anyone in the nation.

We would sstand a chance against LSU or any other team in the nation, no matter where the game is played.

I think we do just fine against anyone without Broyles. Yes he will be missed, but that is because he has been Mr. Reliable. Not because we do not have the WR Corps to succeed without him.

Man....I would hate to see your reaction if something in real life got tough! 100% loser mentality!

Iam4OUru
11/7/2011, 12:34 AM
So when you jumping to the OSU bandwagon? You sound much like their fan base. I am very confident that if OU brings their best game, they can beat anyone in the nation.

We would sstand a chance against LSU or any other team in the nation, no matter where the game is played.

I think we do just fine against anyone without Broyles. Yes he will be missed, but that is because he has been Mr. Reliable. Not because we do not have the WR Corps to succeed without him.

Man....I would hate to see your reaction if something in real life got tough! 100% loser mentality!

What concerns me about playing without Broyles is not that we don't have able pass catchers. I wonder how much it's going to affect Jones mentally...knowing that he doesn't have that security that Broyles offered.

Sco
11/7/2011, 12:37 AM
If a great team falls, it's usually to someone they overlook early in the year. With OU, if I had to pick which game we were going to lose preseason, it would have been FSU, no question.

That said, LSU still has to play Arkansas at the end of the year. LSU should win... but I actually think the Backs have a shot at it.

cyclonesooner
11/7/2011, 12:53 AM
I don't have much confidence at all that our offensive line could block either of those defensive lines.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/7/2011, 01:26 AM

We lost to a lousy team and don't deserve anything more than the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather endure a Bama-LSU rematch over watching us get drilled yet again on the big stage because we don't have Broyles or Whaley or really a chance. Frankly, I don't think we beat the Pokes without Broyles anyway so it's probably a moot point.My, aren't you a breath of fresh air!

llsooner7
11/7/2011, 02:52 AM
I don't have much confidence at all that our offensive line could block either of those defensive lines.
Landry Jones has been sacked precisely thrice all year. I think our O-line is up their with the best.

WileyCoyote
11/7/2011, 04:09 AM

(Since I cannot create a poll here)....

Would you watch a rematch of LSU vs. Bama in the BCS title game?

My answers to your original ??'s....

? #1 - If that happens, you get the LSU/Bama rematch. IMHO.

? #2 - Probably not. "All walks of life" is pretty encompassing. The controversy over the BCS mess has been bantered around for several years in different quarters. I think it is "all about the $$". Until the old bowl entities, the university presidents, the NCAA and the networks find a way to be finacially happy; you wont see a true playoff system.

? #3 - As much as I dislike the system we have and the SEC, I'd probably watch the game. However, I definetly wouldn't tune in for the weeks of pre-game hype and commentary.

One last thing, I would love to see OU make it to the game, long odds or not. That would give us a "chance" to win the NC. Sure the past losses have been tough to take as a fan. But we had a chance at the dance. SOONER or later we will win. But you cant ever win it, if you aren't there. That's why they play, you never know.

IronHorseSooner
11/7/2011, 07:56 AM
The cases for 'Bama, Oregon, and us, if all win out:

1. 'Bama: Pro- They lost by 3 to the #1 team in the country in overtime and have two other quality wins- PSU and Arky.
Con- They did not win their conference, nay, even their division. PSU likely won't finish as high as they are now. For those against a rematch, they are a non-starter.

2. Oregon: Pro- They have a quality win against Stanford and are the current national runners-up. Their loss was on the road against the #1 team.
Con- See 'Bama as far as rematch goes. What are their other good wins? SUC? ASU? U-Dub?

3. OU: Pro- Beat 4 teams rated in the top 11 at the time they played them on the road. Just beat the #2 team on the road, why not the #1 team? They are the champions of the BCS #1-rated conference. They (potentially) would have beaten the C-USA champion, and more bowl eligible teams.
Con- They lost at home to an unranked team.

Looking objectively at the case that have been made for each team by "experts", darn, I don't see why we wouldn't be the clear choice. I guess it comes down to what you, as a voter, have as your criteria. Is it about body of work and who you have beaten, or is it about the loss? Optimist v. pessimist outlook?

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 09:30 AM
What concerns me about playing without Broyles is not that we don't have able pass catchers. I wonder how much it's going to affect Jones mentally...knowing that he doesn't have that security that Broyles offered.

There is no question that he has been the go to guy. But he has 83 of the 254 completions of Landry Jones. So it isnt like the others are not exactly sound.

My biggest concern is will Kenny Stills not take a play or two off during the games now that Broyles is out? Who will be the go to guy?

I think Jaz Reynolds has positioned himself to be that guy.

I think we will be fine. It sucks we lost the best WR in the nation and my heart goes out to him.

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 09:39 AM
My answers to your original ??'s....

? #1 - If that happens, you get the LSU/Bama rematch. IMHO.

? #2 - Probably not. "All walks of life" is pretty encompassing. The controversy over the BCS mess has been bantered around for several years in different quarters. I think it is "all about the $$". Until the old bowl entities, the university presidents, the NCAA and the networks find a way to be finacially happy; you wont see a true playoff system.

? #3 - As much as I dislike the system we have and the SEC, I'd probably watch the game. However, I definetly wouldn't tune in for the weeks of pre-game hype and commentary.

One last thing, I would love to see OU make it to the game, long odds or not. That would give us a "chance" to win the NC. Sure the past losses have been tough to take as a fan. But we had a chance at the dance. SOONER or later we will win. But you cant ever win it, if you aren't there. That's why they play, you never know.

I'll start with #2.

#2: The controversy of the BCS has been talked about every year by all. However, it seems the last few years the BCS is losing the argument more than not...when talking about a playoff. People say the regular season is a playoff...well that is only somewhat true. You can have a team like say Florida that plays a bunch of mid majors or non FBS teams and yet still have the chance. While you get teams like Boise that plays what their schedule is and gets no chance.

The same can be said of Utah before this year and TCU. The BCS will never allow a team outside of a BCS AQ conference (sans ND) to be in their national championship game. No matter how good or bad their schedule is.

Who is to say that Boise State can't beat all the teams above them? Who is to say a 1 loss team is not really the best team in the nation?

One reason I like the playoff over the BCS...it takes away the polls. It takes away the media hype. The teams have to line up against what others consider top 8 to 16 teams, or other conference champions. It makes it where they have to earn it on the field of play throughout a playoff...not against teams that they are familiar with because they play them every year.

#3: I wouldn't tune into the game. The BCS has never had a rematch in their title game...and for good reason. No matter how the BCS wants to portray themselves, it is about money. And for them to get more money, they need good tv ratings. A rematch of the boredom bowl will only make it the least watched BCS championship. I would much rather tune into LSU vs. Boise State than LSU vs. Bama!

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 09:44 AM

Because our OL flat out sucks by giving up just 4 sacks all season long!

And we have faced a few very good front 7 defenses. A&M, Texas, KSU, and FSU!

I think our OL would be just fine against either of those Defenses. The problem lies that those two defenses will attempt to do what A&M did...and that is blitz early and often. It will come down to how well we pick up the blitz or how fast we get rid of the ball.

To run on either defense, you have to stretch the field and make their big LBs run sideline to sideline all game. You do that, you will wear their front 7 out by the 3rd and 4th quarters.

LSU's secondary is thuggish...not great! WVU passed for almost 500 yards against them. I think our offense can match or better that!

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 09:53 AM
What makes us good against either of these teams?

1. The both play a power rushing game and neither can really throw against a good pass defense. And I think OU's defensive secondary is better than either. Line up to 10 in the box. Tackle well and you beat either of them. What if LSU tries their option offense? Fine, we have smaller and quicker LBs. We can run sideline to sideline with LSU. What if Bama tries passing? I am not scared. Their QB sucks and throws the ball with a lot of air under it. OU has faced and will face a lot better QBs and WRs than either of these teams. Out defense with our smaller size would have a challenge against Bama's power rushing with Richardson. But like LSU, if we tackle well and do not try for the big hit, we would minimize their run game. We shut down either of their offense's run game, our chances of a victory goes through the roof.

2. OU's offense vs. their defenses. I have mentioned LSU's. Their fornt 4 is the best in the nation, IMO. But as long as we spread them out and our WRs block well down field, we will have success against their defense. The same with Bama. In fact, we would have a better chance against their 3-4 than LSU's 4-3 and 4-2-5 defenses. The key to beating either defense is Landry Jones. Is he Mr. Happy Feet? Or is he Mr. Confident?

Neither LSU or Bama are unbeatable. In fact, they both are geared at running the ball while stopping the run. A good spread offense (kind of like Auburn last year) will beat either of the two teams!

soonercoop1
11/7/2011, 10:27 AM
Tech loss is a killer so in that scenario Bama becomes #2 unless the coaches decide they want Oregon in again...my guess is OU would be on the outside looking in...probably behind even Boise St...don't see OU moving above 4th even with beating osu...

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2011, 11:18 AM
OU beating #2 OSu would propel them to top 4 for sure in the human polls.

The computer polls, OU is already #4. Them beating OSU would put them in the top 2. (OU will likely be top 3 in computers before playing OSU).

That said, Bama wins out, they can be #2 in the human polls...but they would have to be much better than #5 in the computers. If LSU wins out, LSU will be #1 in computers. Boise will finish in the top 5 in the computers, if they win out. OU will finish #2 in computers if they win out. Oregon will be a top 5 if they win out. OSU will remain top 5 more than likely losing to OU.

That said, if OU, Oregon, and Bama win out the top 5 teams in the the computer rankings will likely look like this:

1. LSU
2. OU
3. Oregon
4. OSU
5. Boise State
6. Bama

So if they (Bama) are #2 in the human polls with OU #3. They would have to be #4 or better in the computers to get to the title game...and this is considering that Bama is getting all the #2 votes, LSU getting all the #1 votes, and OU getting all the #3 votes....which will not happen....LSU may get all the #1 votes, but Boise, OU, Bama will all get #2 votes. They each will get #3-#5 votes too.

Meaning, the likelihood, that Bama gets to the Championship hinges on if OU, Stanford, OSU, Oregon and even Boise State all lose between now and the rest of the season.

mhackl
11/7/2011, 11:36 AM
Frankly, I don't think we beat the Pokes without Broyles anyway so it's probably a moot point.
WOW!
I would be very very worried going into a NC game too, but I don't think for even a second that we can't beat the cow pokers.In fact, I believe that we'll kick the living $h!t out of them. They're good this year, but not scary good.