PDA

View Full Version : Technet subscription? Any advise on this??

landrun
11/6/2011, 07:21 PM
I'm a programmer and I'm shoping for a Christmas gift... for myself. :D

I'm thinking about buying myself a technet subscription. But I'm not sure how this works.

What I really want is Visual Studio 2010 ... and then to setup a home network with a mssql server to do some testing on.

I could do this at work but I'd like to have one in my home. For some reason, when I VPN into the office, my .net development apps can't find the mssql server. So, that's an excuse to buy a subscription.

That, and I just want one. I don't really need and excuse. The sky is blue is good enough justification for me to buy this.

But, I'm not sure what all you get, how it works, etc...

Any of you guys have experience with this?? :eagerness:

yermom
11/6/2011, 07:34 PM
i think you misspelled MySQL

Theskipster
11/7/2011, 10:40 AM
You probably want MSDN not technet. Technet doesn't come with Visual Studio and the license says it cannot be used for development only testing and evaluation. Also the MSDN license doesn't expire at the end of your subscription. Only the ability to download the software and get activation keys.

landrun
11/7/2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks skipster. I've looked into this some more and it seems you're correct.

tator
11/7/2011, 06:08 PM
Skip is correct, yermom is a hippie.

CobraKai
11/7/2011, 10:27 PM
Can't you download a free version capped at 2 GB? I used to use it all the time
MSDE 2008 I think.

yermom
11/7/2011, 10:58 PM
Skip is correct, yermom is a hippie.

i don't understand these words like "evaluation license" and all that :biggrin:

seriously though, i've generally gotten licensing for home use like this through work and not had to pay for it personally. that's been a while though. i've been primarily open source for a long time now...