PDA

View Full Version : Wishful thinking on my part but if Ryan Broyles is alright in 6 weeks

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 02:11 PM
Maybe he can play in whatever bowl game we get?

...just hoping, I guess. But it could happen.

lasooner123
11/6/2011, 02:13 PM
its impossible to recover that quickly from a torn acl

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 02:15 PM
Looks more like months instead of weeks. Too sad. ~sigh~

http://www.newson6.com/story/15968377/report-ryan-broyles-out-for-season-with-torn-acl

trey
11/6/2011, 02:18 PM
He wouldnt be able to play even if the bowl game was 6 months away

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 02:22 PM
Well, hopefully he knows that the NFL is still possible. Surely someone will realize what a great player he is. Lots of players still play in the NFL who have had torn ACLs. Ryan is a record breaker.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 02:34 PM
Because of this, is it possible for the NFL people to speak to Ryan now? Maybe they could offer hope? I know very little about the goings on of the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/6/2011, 03:00 PM
Because of this, is it possible for the NFL people to speak to Ryan now? Maybe they could offer hope? I know very little about the goings on of the NFL.

No, not officially

bluedogok
11/6/2011, 03:03 PM
Look at how well Willis McGahee has done in the NFL since coming back from that terrible knee injury in the 2002 NCG (2003 Fiesta Bowl) against Ohio State. In a better position comparison, look at how well Wes Welker has come back in two seasons and his injury happened late in the season. The physical come back is light years ahead of what it used to be, the hardest aspect seems to be the mental come back. The mental aspect of the injury is what seemed to hamper Holieway and Gaddis but I think Broyles has more of the mental makeup to get over the injury fully. The NFL is not as wary of that type of injury as it used to be, especially for high caliber players. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 03:10 PM
Ryan Broyles has a bright future ahead of him, whether he plays another down of football or not.

OUInformant
11/6/2011, 03:35 PM
6 weeks? Only if it turns out that Ryan Broyles is really Wolverine (from the X-men).

With an ACL injury, your looking at 6-8 months at a minimum. He is done at OU (very sadly).

Ryan will eventually make a full recovery. It's just a matter of getting the proper medical treatment and therapy, which he will definitely get, and time. Ryan will still be a great NFL player. Willis McGahee's injury was a lot worse, so I wouldn't compare the two. ACL injuries are not uncommon in football (human beings were simply not designed for the game of football), so the treatment & the associated recovery process are pretty standard.

the_ouskull
11/6/2011, 03:45 PM
Maybe he can play in whatever bowl game we get?

...just hoping, I guess. But it could happen.

No, it could not happen, and the potential for much, much more long-term injury would skyrocket if he tried to do it. I have a little bit of experience with these matters. (Sincerely, 3 right ACL's, 1 left one, and countless hours of PT and rehab.)

the_ouskull

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 04:56 PM
Mama, I truly appreciate your optimism.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 05:56 PM
Mama, I truly appreciate your optimism.Thank you kindly, however I seem to have a lot more optimism than I do knowledge of ACL injuries. :)

Always_Sooner
11/6/2011, 06:01 PM
Even if he could play, unless it was the National Championship why would he want to risk his future anymore?

VA Sooner
11/6/2011, 06:11 PM
Look at how well Willis McGahee has done in the NFL since coming back from that terrible knee injury in the 2002 NCG (2003 Fiesta Bowl) against Ohio State. In a better position comparison, look at how well Wes Welker has come back in two seasons and his injury happened late in the season. The physical come back is light years ahead of what it used to be, the hardest aspect seems to be the mental come back. The mental aspect of the injury is what seemed to hamper Holieway and Gaddis but I think Broyles has more of the mental makeup to get over the injury fully. The NFL is not as wary of that type of injury as it used to be, especially for high caliber players. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.

BlueDog... I hope you're right about his future, and Wes Welker is a perfect example. As much as Broyles has done for the program and in coming back for his senior year and playing his guts out (and a game with the 102 degree influenza last year), I hope he sits out the rest of the year and works on rehab and strengthening and continues to be one of the true hearts of the program in giving the younger players inspiration and drive and stepping up in his absence. And more so, I hope that Ryan has a long and illustrious career in the NFL as teams evaluate and understand hard work and good attitude does more for the team than sheer atheleticism... and luckily, he has both.

VA Sooner
11/6/2011, 06:14 PM

BlueDog... I hope you're right about his future, and Wes Welker is a perfect example. As much as Broyles has done for the program and in coming back for his senior year and playing his guts out (and a game with the 102 degree influenza last year), I hope he sits out the rest of the year and works on rehab and strengthening and continues to be one of the true hearts of the program in giving the younger players inspiration and drive and stepping up in his absence. And more so, I hope that Ryan has a long and illustrious career in the NFL as teams evaluate and understand hard work and good attitude does more for the team than sheer atheleticism... and luckily, he has both.

delhalew
11/6/2011, 06:24 PM
Ryan Broyles has a bright future ahead of him, whether he plays another down of football or not.
I would certainly have no trouble believing that.

delhalew
11/6/2011, 06:25 PM

hawaii 5-0
11/6/2011, 07:51 PM
If he can impart some of his mental thoughts to the younger players and provide moral support he'll still be a help to the team.

He's done as a player for OU. He sure was fun to watch.

5-0

C&CDean
11/6/2011, 07:55 PM
Thank you kindly, however I seem to have a lot more optimism than I do knowledge of ACL injuries. :)

Well in your defense, the ACL is about 3-4 feet from the left bicuspid...

soonerboy_odanorth
11/6/2011, 08:08 PM
Well, amid all this positivity I want to play a little roller coaster.....

My oldest son, Mike, was devastated yesterday. And I told him to buck up... Ryan will be fine. Disappointing, yes. Tragic? No. The team went through tragic. Box. Others have gone through tragic. Eric LeGrande. What we do with this is feel bad for Ryan, and let's see who we have for next. That is, who is number 12. We put our best 11 out there every week, but at any time, you may have to bring in number 12 in this game. It isn't just aTm that has the 12th man. You just have to keep going. Really, it's all you can do. So might as well put your best effort into it.

So he gets that... we all get that.

But today I guess I was feeling a little worse this morning than yesterday. (Maybe yesterday I was just a little 'in shock'.)

But my predominant thought today was that, for Mike, this for him is like if Billy Sims had gone down before '79 Nebraska (when he ran for 247.) Or if Keith Jackson had gone down before '86 Nebraska (no one else on our team makes that catch.)

So I understand those blues.

But then, I picked myself back up with this: It's also like if Jamelle Hollieway goes down before '87 Nebraska. Which he did. And we gave the ball to Charles Thompson. And we still kicked their ***.

Somebody phone Stillwater. Tell 'em they better pack a lunch.