PDA

View Full Version : Bama to #4, OU stays at #7 in the Coaches' poll

Indy Sooner
11/6/2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 12:44 PM
No shock. What this does say is that the Coaches believe that a 1-loss team will get in over BSU. I will say that Lil' Brother is better than Stanford by a good bit. As a matter of fact, here's my projected BCS Top 10:

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. 'Bama
5. BSU
6. OU
7. Arky
8. Oregon
9. Va Tech
10. Clemson

I will make a bold prediction about next week:

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. 'Bama
4. OU
5. Oregon
6. BSU
7. Arky
8. Clemson
9. Stanford
10. Houston

(Oregon beats Stanford; Ga Tech beats Va Tech; Nebbish beats PSU; Auburn beats UGA). Even though BSU will beat TCU, this will be the point where the 1-loss teams start to pass them. In this scenario, the situation from a few weeks ago comes full-circle, the winner of LSU-'Bama (LSU) will play the winner of OSU-OU for the NC.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:47 PM
Oregon will be hurt by the computers in the BCS I guess. We had a pretty comfortable lead on them last week.

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 12:54 PM
As inept as our special teams was, I'm a little surprised. I thought we'd end up at 6th or 7th.

You guys should have moved up past us, IMO.

Red
11/6/2011, 12:58 PM
As inept as our special teams was, I'm a little surprised. I thought we'd end up at 6th or 7th.

Meh, we won't until we beat OSU. And with the SEC suckfest who knows if we even do then :P

TXBOOMER
11/6/2011, 01:02 PM
Losing to Texas Tech at home is just a little worse than losing to LSU at home. I do not see a scenario where a 1 loss OU moves past a 1 loss Bama.

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 01:04 PM
Meh, we won't until we beat OSU. And with the SEC suckfest who knows if we even do then :P

Losing to Texas Tech at home is just a little worse than losing to LSU at home. I do not see a scenario where a 1 loss OU moves past a 1 loss Bama.

Voters won't let that happen (because they do exist outside of the SEC footprint), and the computers won't either because the Big XII is the #1 in the computers. In fact, the SEC could be damaged more by the computers at the end of the year. Three of their teams (FLA, Cocky, and UGA) all have tough non-con games against in-state rivals at the end of the year, and they might be underdogs in all of them. In fact, the only way that 'Bama does stay ahead of us is if Arky beats LSU, and they have a 3-way tie argument.

delhalew
11/6/2011, 01:19 PM
I would have preferred to get a small bump this week after handling ATM. I'm curious to see the numbers breakdown.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2011, 01:23 PM

Not necessarily. A bad loss doesn't seem to be hurt more than a good loss. Because a "good" loss means you didn't bag a quality win. Teams usually only have 2-3 potential quality wins and it hurts to not get them all when compared to other teams that did. The ducks would be ahead of us now if you go by your bad loss theory - they only dropped 1 game to the #1 team away from home. Same for Arky only losing to then #2 Bama on the road.

Sooner_Tuf
11/6/2011, 01:44 PM

I agree, ZERO touchdowns in the whole game. I'm just glad I wasn't home to watch that suckfest. When two great offenses collide.

soonercastor
11/6/2011, 01:52 PM

We won't pass them if either Stanford or OK State wins out. However if both of them lose, then we'll pass Bama in the final poll.

StoopTroup
11/6/2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah.....as far as Bama is concerned....if you can't score and can't kick FGs How you expect to beat LSU if you are matched up again is beyond me. They are good enough to give LSU a game but without an offense...there's absolutely no reason to rank them high like that. It wasn't a fun game to watch and if anything...I'm even more in the corner about LSU. I think both Teams might have a good Defense but unless they can score against each other or against a Team that on a given Day can play defense and put up 20-30 points on them.....they aren't a National Championship Caliber Team. I'd put money on LSU falling to Oregon if they played a 2nd time. Against Bama....Oregon would smoke them too. Hopefully LSU Bama isn't the MNC game this year and that Oregon gets a chance to play Bama as I would love to see my theory come true in a BCS Minor Bowl this year.

Stanford Oregon should be a good Game next week. I'm looking forward to it. If Stoolwater fans think they can take us without Ryan....after what I saw against KSU yesterday....they are gonna be on suicide watch Sunday December 4th.

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 02:11 PM
By that logic, Oregon should be above Alabama. This SEC bias, it sickening.

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 02:13 PM

One could justify the Tech loss as a fluke, as tech is not better than OU, while the LSU loss at home, proves that LSU is better than Bama. There is no room for debate. It's done. As far as Alabama is concerned they are the second best team in the conference. While the same can't be said for OU.

A loss to Vanderbilt would have been more forgiving than a loss to LSU, at home.

LRoss
11/6/2011, 02:17 PM
I would have preferred to get a small bump this week after handling ATM. I'm curious to see the numbers breakdown.

For what it's worth, we DID get a SMALL bump.

Remember that it uses total votes as data rather than position, so even though we're still at #7 we actually DID gain some ground in some places. We gained 24 points, where BSU and Oregon each gained only 5, for a net 19 vote gain. I don't know what that translates to in terms of BCS points, but if we're close enough in the polls our computer advantage may push us over the top (as with Oregon currently).

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 02:39 PM
In my opinion, Boise is trapped at no. 5.

FtwTxSooner
11/6/2011, 02:40 PM
One could justify the Tech loss as a fluke, as tech is not better than OU, while the LSU loss at home, proves that LSU is better than Bama. There is no room for debate. It's done. As far as Alabama is concerned they are the second best team in the conference. While the same can't be said for OU.

A loss to Vanderbilt would have been more forgiving than a loss to LSU, at home.

Boy, you are really reaching.

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah.....as far as Bama is concerned....if you can't score and can't kick FGs How you expect to beat LSU if you are matched up again is beyond me. They are good enough to give LSU a game but without an offense...there's absolutely no reason to rank them high like that. It wasn't a fun game to watch and if anything...I'm even more in the corner about LSU. I think both Teams might have a good Defense but unless they can score against each other or against a Team that on a given Day can play defense and put up 20-30 points on them.....they aren't a National Championship Caliber Team. I'd put money on LSU falling to Oregon if they played a 2nd time. Against Bama....Oregon would smoke them too. Hopefully LSU Bama isn't the MNC game this year and that Oregon gets a chance to play Bama as I would love to see my theory come true in a BCS Minor Bowl this year.

Stanford Oregon should be a good Game next week. I'm looking forward to it. If Stoolwater fans think they can take us without Ryan....after what I saw against KSU yesterday....they are gonna be on suicide watch Sunday December 4th.

Stoop,

You guys have fallen into the trap of defining 'good football' as only games that feature pinball-type scores. Going in, our O was ranked in the top 20 in the nation and LSU's was in the top half of division I. Our lack of O was not so much that lost as it was LSU's D IS, ALONG WITH OURS, THAT GOOD. Yes, maybe it's not as fun to watch if you're a person that's likes lots of balls flying through the air and scoring, maybe akin to watching sausage be made or paint drying for some of you. But there is more to football than that--you guys have lost appreciation for good defense. One NFL scout that was there said that there were 35 future NFL players involved in that game, most of them being defensive players.

Even with last night's loss factored in, our O is still ranked 30th over all and our rushing is even higher...and we are STILL no. 1 in every major defensive category.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=8&year=2011&week=10

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2011, 02:46 PM
In my opinion, Boise is trapped at no. 5.

Boise has a good shot at finishing ahead of us; but not if we win out.

delhalew
11/6/2011, 02:49 PM
For what it's worth, we DID get a SMALL bump.

Remember that it uses total votes as data rather than position, so even though we're still at #7 we actually DID gain some ground in some places. We gained 24 points, where BSU and Oregon each gained only 5, for a net 19 vote gain. I don't know what that translates to in terms of BCS points, but if we're close enough in the polls our computer advantage may push us over the top (as with Oregon currently).

Well, I guess that's something. I just wish we would have passed Oregon, even if it were only temporary.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2011, 03:45 PM
Stoop,

You guys have fallen into the trap of defining 'good football' as only games that feature pinball-type scores. Going in, our O was ranked in the top 20 in the nation and LSU's was in the top half of division I. Our lack of O was not so much that lost as it was LSU's D IS, ALONG WITH OURS, THAT GOOD. Yes, maybe it's not as fun to watch if you're a person that's likes lots of balls flying through the air and scoring, maybe akin to watching sausage be made or paint drying for some of you. But there is more to football than that--you guys have lost appreciation for good defense. One NFL scout that was there said that there were 35 future NFL players involved in that game, most of them being defensive players.

Even with last night's loss factored in, our O is still ranked 30th over all and our rushing is even higher...and we are STILL no. 1 in every major defensive category.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=8&year=2011&week=10

Maybe you guys have fallen into the trap of thinking that boring lousy inept offense means its a good game and signifies great defense. There were plenty of opportunities last night for scores by a decent or even slightly above average offense to take advantage of. Didnt happen. Yeah your defenses are good, but who are you kidding trying to convince us that your offenses are good? Middle of the pack Big XII offenses are better than either of those on the field last night.

The category stats are about the single most bogus stats ever, btw. No one plays the same teams, so those team stats mean nothing. In your case, it means your OOC was pud, and your conference foes have equally unimaginative OCs and average offensive talent as was displayed last night by the two supposed powers of your conference. Look at Auburn last year. A team with just one great offensive player. They win going away in your conference. Thats just one great player thats turned loose somewhat.

The year yall won the NC you had some decent offensive players. I didnt see any last night for either school. But go on convincing us of how fantabulous those defenses are. Woohoo.

soonercastor
11/6/2011, 03:51 PM
Middle of the pack Big XII offenses are better than either of those on the field last night.

No it's not. Again people fall in the trap of evaluating offenses without even considering the most important piece: TRENCHES. Their OLs matched up against Big 12 DLs is NOT a good match-up.

OUInformant
11/6/2011, 03:52 PM
I think Oregon beats Stanford as well. If that happens, and everybody else in the Top 10 wins, I project the following:

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Alabama
4. Boise St.
5. Oregon
6. OU
7. Arkansas
8. Stanford
9. Clemson
10. somebody...

Not much of shift, but OU will be in a much better spot. Oregon will not play in the BCS title game if LSU goes unbeaten (which is still a big IF). Same with Alabama, IMO. I think the winner of OU/OSU will play in the game.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2011, 04:06 PM
No it's not. Again people fall in the trap of evaluating offenses without even considering the most important piece: TRENCHES. Their OLs matched up against Big 12 DLs is NOT a good match-up.

Theres more to Oline play than just being big and fat. Theres more than one way to skin a cat. The Big XII has much better offense than the SEC. Im not saying we or anyone else in the Big XII would win the NC against LSU or Bama. I am saying it would be a close game, and if it were played in Dallas, instead of NO, Id like the Big XIIs chances.

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 04:39 PM
Theres more to Oline play than just being big and fat. Theres more than one way to skin a cat. The Big XII has much better offense than the SEC. Im not saying we or anyone else in the Big XII would win the NC against LSU or Bama. I am saying it would be a close game, and if it were played in Dallas, instead of NO, Id like the Big XIIs chances.

....Your O's LOOK better because nobody plays defense in your league. Take Okie State--they put up pinball points every week, but they play absolutely NO defense!!

dennis580
11/6/2011, 05:06 PM
I do not see a scenario where a 1 loss OU moves past a 1 loss Bama.

I certainly do. Its called voters looking for a good excuse to avoid a rematch in the NC game, and to avoid 2 teams from the same conference playing in the NC game. OU beating a undefeated OSU on the road at the end of season would be the perfect excuse for a lot of voters who don't want to see a rematch or don't want to see 2 teams from the same conference play in the NC game.

The thing is a LSU-Bama rematch has 3 negatives against it.

#1. Its two teams from the same conference
#2. Its a rematch
#3. It will feature a team that did not win their conference

If another team gives voters a good excuse to vote a different way at the end of the season then the voters will probably take that different way.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2011, 05:28 PM
....Your O's LOOK better because nobody plays defense in your league. Take Okie State--they put up pinball points every week, but they play absolutely NO defense!!

And your Ds look better because nobody plays any creative offense in your conference. Its a circular argument. OSU would give you guys fits, so would we. You guys would give us fits defensively, so would LSU.

But you guys act like you would just blow our teams out. I actually believed that too...until last night. Now I know the truth and not the hype. It would be a very good close game with any of those four teams.

SoonerKnight
11/6/2011, 06:10 PM
EXACTLY!! SEC sucks everyone agree!! :D

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 06:53 PM
Voters won't let that happen (because they do exist outside of the SEC footprint), and the computers won't either because the Big XII is the #1 in the computers. In fact, the SEC could be damaged more by the computers at the end of the year. Three of their teams (FLA, Cocky, and UGA) all have tough non-con games against in-state rivals at the end of the year, and they might be underdogs in all of them. In fact, the only way that 'Bama does stay ahead of us is if Arky beats LSU, and they have a 3-way tie argument.

Count on it.

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 06:53 PM

Boy, you are really reaching.
Which one of these is a truer statement:
Tech is better than OU
Alabama is better than LSU

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 06:56 PM
It is unfair to ask LSU to defeat a team they already defeated. A rematch makes no sense. It is utter foolishness, IMO.

People want a rematch to find out what we already know: LSU is better than Alabama.

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 06:56 PM

And your defense plays no offense....including last night. I was pretty sure all three quarterbacks sucked. Now, I'm convinced.

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 06:58 PM
There will be no "rematch". I would much rather watch LSU vs Oregon II than watch another offensive sleep-walkin' contest between LSU and Bammer.

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 08:18 PM
http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2011/11/xlarge_071132689237c1827553a2a34ed3dadd.jpg

This is what your face looks like when you get outcoached by Leslie.

Breadburner
11/6/2011, 08:26 PM
Lol...Anyone that calls the LSU Bammer game a suck fest is an idiot...........

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 08:33 PM
6th in the bcs

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 08:36 PM
Bama 3rd in BCS. Gooooooo Ducks!!!!

Neath a Western Sky
11/6/2011, 08:49 PM
We lose to a middling Tech team, Bama loses a cliffhanger to a great LSU team. If the rolls were reversed and both teams won out, what would we think of Bama going to the BCS title game instead of us?

AlboSooner
11/6/2011, 08:56 PM
We lose to a middling Tech team, Bama loses a cliffhanger to a great LSU team. If the rolls were reversed and both teams won out, what would we think of Bama going to the BCS title game instead of us?

Answer this question, and your dilemma is a non-issue, which statement is truer:

Tech is better than OU
LSU is better than Bama