PDA

View Full Version : Let's go ahead and get this out of the way.....

boomersooner28
11/6/2011, 08:47 AM
we are NOT playing for a National Title this year. No way. We don't deserve too either. Do I think we could win a National Championship game against LSU or anyone else for that matter? Yes. We could. BUT, there are going to be a handful of one loss teams at the end of the year and we BY FAR have the worst loss. I am still not sure how we got rolled at home by Tech. Thanks Tech, for showing up for one game this year.

Carry on....

Jason Alexander
11/6/2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah I'm so sick of playing for national championships, it's such a nuisance.

TMcGee86
11/6/2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know, I tend to think the worse Tech looks each week, the flukier their win against us looks, thereby making our loss not as bad.

Just a freak night. It proved nothing. Whereas if we had lost to a better team, it would me we had a legit loss.

okierider
11/6/2011, 09:12 AM
UHHHH as I recall that was a legit loss!!! We got our *** handed to us on our home field for most of a game !!! Championship caliber teams do not lay down like that at any time !!! What it proved to me is this team has some serious on field leadership issues !!!!

oudivesherpa
11/6/2011, 09:17 AM
Our odds of geting to the NC game are very slim, but there are still four weeks left in the season and more upsets are still ahead. Right now I'd rate our chances of getting to the NC game at 10-1 and chances of winning the NC at 20-1.

picasso
11/6/2011, 09:18 AM
UHHHH as I recall that was a legit loss!!! We got our *** handed to us on our home field for most of a game !!! Championship caliber teams do not lay down like that at any time !!! What it proved to me is this team has some serious on field leadership issues !!!!
We got smoked by Miami in '85. At home.

I get what you're saying but as Stoops would say, at the end of the day you never know what might happen.

lexred
11/6/2011, 09:35 AM
OU controls some of its destiny based on the Dec 3rd game with the pukes. If OU beats the pukes and Stanford wins out they should go, if Stanford loses, let Boise State go. In that situation Boise deserves a shot without hearing all the p&m about their strength of schedule. As for Bama and LSU, as Lou Holtz said: "now we know who has the best kicker". While that is true, what I saw was two darned good defenses shutting down two pretty good offenses. That said, a "rematch" should not be in the cards. It would not totally shock me to see the Piggies beat LSU, although it is in Tiger land.

BrockLanders
11/6/2011, 10:11 AM
This is very easy.

We lost to the worst team in our conference at home.

This means we do deserve to play in the national championship game.

Carry on....

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 10:17 AM
Before this is all over, I guarantee a lot of crazy stuff is going to happen. I wouldn't be shocked to see TCU give BSU a game, even on the Smurf Turf. Even though we don't play next weekend, Thank God, it might be our most important weekend:

BSU v. TCU
Oregon v. The Trees
UGA v. Auburn

It is simple. We must have Oregon beat Stanford, and either TCU beat BSU, or Auburn beat UGA. BSU and UGA are yoked together and we need them to lose to plummet BSU's SOS.

kevpks
11/6/2011, 10:24 AM
Who gives a crap what we "deserve" in this stupid BCS system? Win out and we'll probably get in over any one loss team and maybe an undefeated Boise. Did LSU "deserve" to play in the game with two losses? Did Florida "deserve" it after a home loss to Ole Miss? No, but they got in and they won titles. Saying a team that is in the top 6 with this much football left has no chance is not accurate with respect to BCS history. What we deserve is irrelevant. Win out and we just might get there and have a great shot at #8.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 10:24 AM
I just have a feeling this is this year things work out. I'm even getting a feeling that Arky will play LSU tougher than most people think and maybe could even win. If that were to happen they or possibly Bama would be SEC champs if they all won out...What then? We could get one of the spots. People want to fulfill their early season predictions and see OU there.

PDXsooner
11/6/2011, 10:30 AM
If Oregon beats Stanford there's a great chance that alone puts us in.

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 10:32 AM
I just have a feeling this is this year things work out. I'm even getting a feeling that Arky will play LSU tougher than most people think and maybe could even win. If that were to happen they or possibly Bama would be SEC champs if they all won out...What then? We could get one of the spots. People want to fulfill their early season predictions and see OU there.

True, again, JS. After second thought, you are right, a lot of those commentators are vain enough to want their predictions to come true. None of them had BSU. Some had us, Oregon, 'Bama, and/or LSU. I say, again,a Stanford loss is the key. The rest will fall into place.

Zin
11/6/2011, 10:39 AM
Let me get this out of the way....there is still a lot of football to be played before anyone, including LSU, gets to go to the national championship.

JLEW1818
11/6/2011, 10:40 AM
we still have a big12 championship to win. take care of that first.

FaninAma
11/6/2011, 10:43 AM
You mean like the way Florida's loss to a very mediocre Mississipi team at home in 2008 kept them out of the title game?

I see your point.

rekamrettuB
11/6/2011, 10:43 AM
Why look at the worst loss when determining who goes? What if OU beat 10 top 25 teams and lost to 1 that was outside the top 25? I'm not sure I buy into the "worst loss" when trying to break a tie. Look on the field and see who you think is better.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 10:51 AM
I know he's a dumbass, but Mark May had LSU, Bama, OU, OSU, Stanford as his top five in that order. I'm sure a lot of the voters are equally as dumbass....I'm not counting us out of anything.

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 10:53 AM
The computers don't care if a loss now "looks like a fluke". They just calculate a bad TTU team beating us. While it's possible for us to make it to the MNC game, I really don't think it's in the cards this year. Frankly this team is way too Jekyll and Hyde - sometimes in the same game. I just hope we can take it to everyone else on our schedule and win the Big 12 again. I also wish there was some way we could end up somewhere besides the Fiesta Bowl. I'm tired of playing a lame Big East team or some also-ran like Boise.

JLEW1818
11/6/2011, 10:55 AM
Fiesta Bowl gets the first pick for at large this year.... i think?

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 10:56 AM
LSU in 2007 lost to two unranked teams on their home field. FLA in 2008 lost to an unranked team on their home field. However, both of those teams had some great wins throughout the year. If we win out, we would have had great ROAD wins against FSU, *, KSU, and OSU. All of those teams should finish the year in the Top 25 or higher. BTW, the Big XII is still the top-ranked conference in the BCS computers. With a bunch of 1-loss teams and BSU, that should give us an advantage.

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 10:59 AM
LSU in 2007 lost to two unranked teams on their home field.
Yes, but they were "undefeated in regulation". LOL.

Dan Thompson
11/6/2011, 11:01 AM
I have a feeling we are going to play Boise St in the Fiesta Bowl.

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 11:02 AM
Yes, but they were "undefeated in regulation". LOL.

That whole thing torqued me off, and they got rewarded by playing tOSU in their back yard.

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 11:03 AM
I have a feeling we are going to play Boise St in the Fiesta Bowl.

If we win out, the only way that happens is if Stanford wins out, and I see Oregon running circles around their big ,slow rears.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 11:04 AM
Why is everyone looking at the loss to determine who should go to the national championship instead of wins? If we win out we would have won the one of the best conferences in the country. I think the strength of our conference in the eyes of the computers will save us, win out and we should have all the voters back on. We have to win by a lot though because people like Chris Fowler last night were already counting us out of the race since we lost Broyles....I think that's stupid because last week he was almost cheering for us to to get back into it, but now without Broyles we somehow suck dick. I know that'll hurt us from here on out, but does that make us any less deserving?

Edit: Put our SoS against a one loss team from the Pac-12 and we will for sure have the hardest.

cleller
11/6/2011, 11:08 AM
Lets wait to see what we do in Stoolwater. Those turds score in about 15 seconds on the some of the most elementary looking things.
We've got to jam those receivers and get Weeden. Don't try to cover anything, because it never works.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 11:09 AM
Lets wait to see what we do in Stoolwater. Those turds score in about 15 seconds on the some of the most elementary looking things.
We've got to jam those receivers and get Weeden. Don't try to cover anything, because it never works.

If K-state can force turnover, hope they are watching out for the Sharks...

Jason Alexander
11/6/2011, 11:11 AM
And let's not rule out LSU getting upset this upcoming saturday against WKU.

JLEW1818
11/6/2011, 11:22 AM
LSU in 2007 lost to two unranked teams on their home field. FLA in 2008 lost to an unranked team on their home field. However, both of those teams had some great wins throughout the year. If we win out, we would have had great ROAD wins against FSU, *, KSU, and OSU. All of those teams should finish the year in the Top 25 or higher. BTW, the Big XII is still the top-ranked conference in the BCS computers. With a bunch of 1-loss teams and BSU, that should give us an advantage.

They lost at Kentucky

lexred
11/6/2011, 11:30 AM
You mean like the way Florida's loss to a very mediocre Mississipi team at home in 2008 kept them out of the title game?

I see your point.

While that Ole Miss team was not great, they did wind up in the Cotton Bowl and beat the Big 12 team. Your point is well taken, but the loss to TT was really ugly. The loss of Broyles sucks, but OU can redeem itself with a win over the pukes.

tulsaoilerfan
11/6/2011, 11:30 AM

I get what you're saying but as Stoops would say, at the end of the day you never know what might happen.

That Miami loss, although it looked bad at the time, turned out to be not so bad by the end of the season; they were pretty damn good

Sooner95
11/6/2011, 11:55 AM
LSU is ranked #1 so the Sugar bowl would get first NCG replacement selection, followed by #2, Big12 or Pac12..ect...

And then the at large selections take place..

January 2012 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

Flagstaffsooner
11/6/2011, 12:06 PM
It aint over til its over.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:07 PM
They lost at Kentucky
No they lost at home to Ole Miss

Edit: Derp, you meant lsu....

okierider
11/6/2011, 12:10 PM
we still have a big12 championship to win. take care of that first.

Yep!!! Which I feel much better about after watching Kstate's offense work over that Puke defense!!!

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 12:11 PM
They lost at Kentucky

True, thanks for that one. My bro-in-law played fullback at UK, and he wouldn't let me live that down if I got that right. Here's an off-topic question, how did Arky not win more games with a backfield with Peyton Hillis, Felix Jones, and Darren McFadden? Oh, right, Casey Dick was REALLY bad!

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:13 PM
True, thanks for that one. My bro-in-law played fullback at UK, and he wouldn't let me live that down if I got that right. Here's an off-topic question, how did Arky not win more games with a backfield with Peyton Hillis, Felix Jones, and Darren McFadden? Oh, right, Casey Dick was REALLY bad!

They're arkansas....

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 12:19 PM

LSU was also playing in the SEC, not the half-assed Big 12.

LSU or Alabama, either one, would rip us apart. Our offense hasn't seen anything close to what those defenses bring. If we beat OSU and wiggle into the championship game, fine. But, it won't be pretty for us.

Early in the year, I thought this might be Stoops' best defense, maybe even matching up with the 1986 defense that allowed less than 100 points the whole season. Right now, though, with guys banged up...we don't look like anything special.

Do we have the best defense in the Big 12? Probably. But, look around...that ain't saying much this season. I think every school in the Big 12 has given up 40+ at least once.

I understand the argument, "Yeah, but our offenses are better." Okay, hello? Our offenses have time to execute their plays because the defenses in this league are woefully average. In the SEC, defenses like LSU and Alabama are so fast, the timing of almost every play is thrown off.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/6/2011, 12:22 PM

We got smoked by Kansas at home in 1975. We still won it all...

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 12:25 PM
LSU was also playing in the SEC, not the half-assed Big 12.

LSU or Alabama, either one, would rip us apart. Our offense hasn't seen anything close to what those defenses bring. If we beat OSU and wiggle into the championship game, fine. But, it won't be pretty for us.

Early in the year, I thought this might be Stoops' best defense, maybe even matching up with the 1986 defense that allowed less than 100 points the whole season. Right now, though, with guys banged up...we don't look like anything special.

Do we have the best defense in the Big 12? Probably. But, look around...that ain't saying much this season. I think every school in the Big 12 has given up 40+ at least once.

I understand the argument, "Yeah, but our offenses are better." Okay, hello? Our offenses have time to execute their plays because the defenses in this league are woefully average. In the SEC, defenses like LSU and Alabama are so fast, the timing of almost every play is thrown off.

My argument is not about how good/bad the SEC and the Big XII are/were, but that there is precedent for this happening.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 12:26 PM
And, the precedent is because the SEC strength of schedule...something we don't have.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:31 PM
And, the precedent is because the SEC strength of schedule...something we don't have.

We're in a strong conference in the eyes of the computers and a good conference in the eyes of the voters. I see no reason that OU wouldn't go in over any of the other teams based on SoS. We sure seem to be leading in the BCS. I guess we'll see when the new ones come out.

freshchris05
11/6/2011, 12:32 PM
look at bama'a schedule, lame. The sec also plays fcs teams at the end of the year while everyone else is going all out in conference play.

I've been hatin on the sec all night... I was disappointed by that game, i bought into the hype a little.

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 12:40 PM
What's helping 'Bama are their wins over Arky and PSU. BTW, PSU is about as boring to watch as Stanford that OMG Game of the Century last night. Nebbish could help us next week by bouncing back and beating them. Arky could actually throw a wrench into the whole thing by beating LSU. After those two wins, 'Bama has nothing. FLA, TENN and Miss State stink. LSU has two good wins with 'Bama and Oregon, but if Arky beats them, again, that would be chaos. What we have are wins over teams that will be in that 2-3 loss range, but who are still good- FSU, *, and KSU. If we beat Lil' Brother, that would be the coup-de-gras. BTW, they would all be away from home. That matters to voters- beating ranked teams on the road.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 12:48 PM
This is all speculation. Too much can happen. We will just have to wait and see.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:53 PM
This is all speculation. Too much can happen. We will just have to wait and see.
Agree, but it's not impossible for us to make it and win in my opinion....

FaninAma
11/6/2011, 01:21 PM
Please fill us in on all of the quality OOC wins the SEC has this year. Oregon and who else?

LSU has gotten a lot of mileage out of that win.

BTW, you are really starting to become the epitome of the whiney, spoiled OU fan.

OU has had a lot of injuries this year. When we were healthy, could match up with any team in the country. Given that we would get 6 weeks off before we played in the national title game to heal.....I like our chances.

I really like Heupel's creativity. He would be the difference between this year's Sooner team v. The 2003 and 2008 versions.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 01:27 PM
Agree, but it's not impossible for us to make it and win in my opinion....By losing to Texas Tech at home, we are no longer in possession of our own destiny. Some things need to happen that are not in our control.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2011, 01:36 PM
By losing to Texas Tech at home, we are no longer in possession of our own destiny. Some things need to happen that are not in our control.

Well sure, but that whole "control your destiny" thing is always an illusion. Your opposition every week has some probability of controlling your destiny and then there is the cruel universe (Broyles).

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 02:43 PM
Please fill us in on all of the quality OOC wins the SEC has this year. Oregon and who else?

LSU has gotten a lot of mileage out of that win.

BTW, you are really starting to become the epitome of the whiney, spoiled OU fan.

OU has had a lot of injuries this year. When we were healthy, could match up with any team in the country. Given that we would get 6 weeks off before we played in the national title game to heal.....I like our chances.

I really like Heupel's creativity. He would be the difference between this year's Sooner team v. The 2003 and 2008 versions.

So what? Half of LSU's squad has been suspended for off the field issues. It doesn't matter. Their backups don't get 41 hung on them by mid-level talent like Texas Tech. Ours do.

We make excuses when our starters are out; they just win with backups.

If you don't watch the LSU/Bama game and see the difference in overall team speed on the defense, I don't know what it is you're watching. We have the best team speed in the Big 12, but...that's not saying much. After us and Texas, it's really just a big crap pile. Yes, a big crap pile including Oklahoma State who let an average quarterback run roughshod all over them to the tune of 45 points.

The voters see the whole picture. Many of our fans just see things through crimson colored shades.

pappy
11/6/2011, 03:30 PM
If we don't play for the national title (I don't think we will) we have nobody to blame but ourselves. We lost to a team that most likely won't play in a bowl game this year. If we win out and Oregon wins out, Oregon deserves to go more than we do because their loss was to #1 LSU on a neutral field and ours was to a worthless team at home. We have better wins that I think will keep us ahead of Oregon in the bcs though.

JLEW1818
11/6/2011, 03:32 PM
If we don't play for the national title (I don't think we will) we have nobody to blame but ourselves. We lost to a team that most likely won't play in a bowl game this year. If we win out and Oregon wins out, Oregon deserves to go more than we do because their loss was to #1 LSU on a neutral field and ours was to a worthless team at home. We have better wins that I think will keep us ahead of Oregon in the bcs though.

can't really argue with this. Same with 2008. If texas got the nod over OU, i would have been mad.... but i would not have disagreed with it.

We still need to win the Big12, and at the very least, get ready for 2012

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 03:41 PM
So what? Half of LSU's squad has been suspended for off the field issues. It doesn't matter. Their backups don't get 41 hung on them by mid-level talent like Texas Tech. Ours do.

We make excuses when our starters are out; they just win with backups.

If you don't watch the LSU/Bama game and see the difference in overall team speed on the defense, I don't know what it is you're watching. We have the best team speed in the Big 12, but...that's not saying much. After us and Texas, it's really just a big crap pile. Yes, a big crap pile including Oklahoma State who let an average quarterback run roughshod all over them to the tune of 45 points.

The voters see the whole picture. Many of our fans just see things through crimson colored shades.

What is your ultimate goal? I never see you post anything positive. Being an OU fan must be absolutely miserable for you.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 03:42 PM
we are NOT playing for a National Title this year. No way. We don't deserve too either. Do I think we could win a National Championship game against LSU or anyone else for that matter? Yes. We could. BUT, there are going to be a handful of one loss teams at the end of the year and we BY FAR have the worst loss. I am still not sure how we got rolled at home by Tech. Thanks Tech, for showing up for one game this year.

Carry on.... Scoff if you will, but our team was suffering from the stomach flu. Half that team had it to some degree. The game should have been postponed. No way would a healthy OU team lose at home without some insinuating circumstance such as this. It was obvious to me when I saw two players throwing up on the sidelines.

landrun
11/6/2011, 03:48 PM
Why look at the worst loss when determining who goes? What if OU beat 10 top 25 teams and lost to 1 that was outside the top 25? I'm not sure I buy into the "worst loss" when trying to break a tie. Look on the field and see who you think is better.

That's the argument Bama and Oregon will make. Even though they lost to LSU, they'll both say that they would be us. And I do think they both would. Bama's D would challenge our offense. And Oregon would humiliate our arrogant trash talking defense like USC did.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 04:07 PM
That's the argument Bama and Oregon will make. Even though they lost to LSU, they'll both say that they would be us. And I do think they both would. Bama's D would challenge our offense. And Oregon would humiliate our arrogant trash talking defense like USC did. Trash talking? What trash have they said? I think you are the one trash talking right now.

soonergirlNeugene
11/6/2011, 04:11 PM
If we get in, I don't think Stoops will decline because he shares an inferiority complex with some of our posters. I've made my peace with not making the title game this year, but we definitely still have a shot at making it if a couple of teams ahead of us lose. If that happens, then bring it on. I'm not going to lose any sleep over Boise getting snubbed in favor of my Sooners.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 04:45 PM
What is your ultimate goal? I never see you post anything positive. Being an OU fan must be absolutely miserable for you.

I'm fine. I'm not the one who can't stand to give credit to other schools and conferences when they are better. You've got people here who can't stand to see Les Miles or Nick Saban succeed and that's stupid. They are great coaches and their teams show it.

LSU and Alabama have better defenses than we do. There's nothing wrong with admitting that. When fully healthy, ours if fine. But, why sit and pretend LSU and Alabama have some sort of offensive flaw because their defenses happen to have shut each other down? Many Sooner fans here seem to have that kind of wishful thinking.

There are other posters here who can look at things objectively. That's not being unhappy. It's simply telling it like it is - LSU and Bama are the best in the country...we are the best in the Big 12. That's just the way it is in 2011.

SoonerKnight
11/6/2011, 05:50 PM
WOW!! Some soonerfans!! Our team is not good enough to beat the SEC!! Despite the fact that we played one of the toughest schedules out there!! Same ones saying we could not hang with Florida and we had chances to win that game. Field goals would have kept it close and we could have won if the momentum was there. But that is coulda......woulda......shoulda! We can hang with the best teams in the land and we will win if given the opprotunity!! This team is a very good team!! Did our team have the Flu while playing Tech? Not sure! But I know we would play a good game against LSU and/or Bama! Yes, we are the best team in the Big XII but we are also one of the best teams in the country!! Stanford is built like Wisconsin! They have very big players across the board! We have players built for speed! We can hang and no true fan is going to sit there and say oh we would be embarrassed or woe is me the SEC (cheating bastards) are so much better than my team cuz my team sucks!! And if you don't like that then **** off dip ****!!

Widescreen
11/6/2011, 05:55 PM
I'm fine. I'm not the one who can't stand to give credit to other schools and conferences when they are better. You've got people here who can't stand to see Les Miles or Nick Saban succeed and that's stupid. They are great coaches and their teams show it.

LSU and Alabama have better defenses than we do. There's nothing wrong with admitting that. When fully healthy, ours if fine. But, why sit and pretend LSU and Alabama have some sort of offensive flaw because their defenses happen to have shut each other down? Many Sooner fans here seem to have that kind of wishful thinking.

There are other posters here who can look at things objectively. That's not being unhappy. It's simply telling it like it is - LSU and Bama are the best in the country...we are the best in the Big 12. That's just the way it is in 2011.

That's fine, but you come across as pimping everyone else and bashing OU which seems to be the mirror image of what you say you hate.

Also, it's not inappropriate to speculate that, while Bama and LSU probably have the best defenses out there, some of that could be attributable to having average/unimaginative offenses.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 08:42 PM
Forget everything I said in this thread, we'll need A Lot of luck to pull this out.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2011, 09:29 PM
BCS out, and there you have it...LSU #1, Bama #3

If they both win out, and we beat Oklahoma State, you're probably looking at an LSU/Bama national title game. Boise's crappy schedule doesn't give them a snowball's chance in hell. Stanford plays in a basketball conference, so it's unlikely they'll leapfrog Bama. We have an outside shot at doing it when we beat Oklahoma State.

If LSU/Bama is the national title game, I hope they pair us with Boise so we can exact revenge for the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Blue
11/6/2011, 09:59 PM
Who gives a crap what we "deserve" in this stupid BCS system? Win out and we'll probably get in over any one loss team and maybe an undefeated Boise. Did LSU "deserve" to play in the game with two losses? Did Florida "deserve" it after a home loss to Ole Miss? No, but they got in and they won titles. Saying a team that is in the top 6 with this much football left has no chance is not accurate with respect to BCS history. What we deserve is irrelevant. Win out and we just might get there and have a great shot at #8.

TRUTH^^

soonercoop1
11/7/2011, 10:32 AM
The Tech loss by far would be the worst loss of the one loss teams...no chance unless Bama loses another game...

OUmillenium
11/7/2011, 09:35 PM
BCS computer formula loves us if we win out and Stanford loses.

I don't think any sane football mind wants an LSU/Bama rematch since it was such an ugly display of offense AND Bama lost on their home field.

LSU could lose to Arky and still make the BCS title game. That would be fun - and my preseason prediction - 1 loss LSU v 1 loss OU.

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 12:29 AM
BCS computer formula loves us if we win out and Stanford loses.

I don't think any sane football mind wants an LSU/Bama rematch since it was such an ugly display of offense AND Bama lost on their home field.

LSU could lose to Arky and still make the BCS title game. That would be fun - and my preseason prediction - 1 loss LSU v 1 loss OU.
It could, but I think we're going to need a lot of luck in the bcs....and still win out while beating osu soundly.

soonercastor
11/8/2011, 12:35 AM
It could, but I think we're going to need a lot of luck in the bcs

pretty much what we DON'T need :D. We need him to lose on Saturday, and we're in assuming we win out. It won't look like that on Sunday when the rankings come out after the BCS loss, it won't look that two weeks from now either but when the rankings are released on the final day that's what it will be. The only alternative at that point would be Boise State.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/8/2011, 12:37 AM

I get what you're saying but as Stoops would say, at the end of the day you never know what might happen.10 point game = "smoked"?...I THINK NOT!

11/8/2011, 12:44 AM
Fiesta Bowl gets the first pick for at large this year.... i think?The picking order is ALWAYS Sugar, Orange, then finally, Fiesta. I haven't a clue how that happened, but that is how it is every yr.

Sooner in Tampa
11/8/2011, 09:26 AM
We will NOT jump Alabama!!! We will NOT play in the BCS National Championship Game!!!

The SEC love will get us all a rematch of LSU/Bama

Reality is a bitch.

zeke
11/8/2011, 09:41 AM
If OU doesnt take care of Baylor & Iowa St none of the speculation matters. First things first!

101sooner
11/8/2011, 09:53 AM
I have no problem giving credit to Alabama's defense. Just like I have no problem saying that their QB is bellow average and their FG Kicker wets his pants every time he has to kick a big FG. Why no one in the media is pointing out the 'Bamas flaws is whats so irritating. Last time I checked, QB play and special teams were pretty important.

tator
11/8/2011, 11:14 AM

This argument goes both ways. I'll show you how by replacing some terms in your statement.

OU and OSU have better offenses than they do. There's nothing wrong with admitting that. When fully healthy, theirs is fine. But, why sit and pretend OU and OSU have some sort of defensive flaw because their offenses happen to have scored all over each other?

Maybe not with the OSU defense, but the point is the same. Strong offense vs strong defense.

I have no idea if we're going to make the MNC game or not, and I have no idea who would win if we do. I honestly think the teams are pretty even at the top this year, strengths in different areas. How they counteract each other, we'll have to see on the field.

Tear Down This Wall
11/8/2011, 11:29 AM
This argument goes both ways. I'll show you how by replacing some terms in your statement.

Maybe not with the OSU defense, but the point is the same. Strong offense vs strong defense.

I have no idea if we're going to make the MNC game or not, and I have no idea who would win if we do. I honestly think the teams are pretty even at the top this year, strengths in different areas. How they counteract each other, we'll have to see on the field.

Except that, both were averaging 39+ points a game before they played each other. There is nothing wrong with either offense. The defenses are just stellar, both packed with future NFLers.

We can dream all day long that running up 50+ points on the Kansas States of the world means something. But, we scored 702 points in 2008, then could only drop 14 on the SEC champion Florida in the national title game.

Defense wins championships. Go ask Steve Spurrier why he hired Bobby Stoops from Kansas State. Once Stoops fixed his defense, Spurrier got his national title.

Our defense is the best in the Big 12. That's fine. But, the stark reality is, LSU and Bama's defense are crazy fast, disciplined, and dominating.

If they propel LSU and Bama back into the title game, it'll be fun to watch. Those are the kinds of defenses we need here again. We had them in 2000 and 2001.

jumperstop
11/8/2011, 11:44 AM

Except that, both were averaging 39+ points a game before they played each other. There is nothing wrong with either offense. The defenses are just stellar, both packed with future NFLers.

We can dream all day long that running up 50+ points on the Kansas States of the world means something. But, we scored 702 points in 2008, then could only drop 14 on the SEC champion Florida in the national title game.

Defense wins championships. Go ask Steve Spurrier why he hired Bobby Stoops from Kansas State. Once Stoops fixed his defense, Spurrier got his national title.

Our defense is the best in the Big 12. That's fine. But, the stark reality is, LSU and Bama's defense are crazy fast, disciplined, and dominating.

If they propel LSU and Bama back into the title game, it'll be fun to watch. Those are the kinds of defenses we need here again. We had them in 2000 and 2001.
Should have been more. We stopped ourselves on those goal line plays with inept play calling.

101sooner
11/8/2011, 11:46 AM
Did you watch McCArron play QB Saturday? It wasn't all LSU's defense that kept 'Bama out of the endzone. It was in large part because of a one dimensional offense with bad QB play. He was horrible. He simply threw bad passes at open receivers and missed opportunities to throw to open receivers. OU hasn't had that bad of QB play since maybe the TCU fiasco in '05. Can you honestly look at that 'Bama offense and think that OU couldn't hold them to 14-21 points? Can we score 21 on the LSU or 'Bama defense? Sure. Not for certain, but we could score some points on them. Maybe even 35 plus.

11/8/2011, 01:10 PM
If OU doesnt take care of Baylor & Iowa St none of the speculation matters. First things first!We were all worried about the Kansas State game the next week, during the week of the ttech game....woops!

Bourbon St Sooner
11/8/2011, 04:43 PM
If we had the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost and St. Tim Tebow playing for us this year we couldn't beat LSU. If fact, I think we should all just quit playing college football and bow to the mad hatter. Thanks TDTW for setting us straight.

rekamrettuB
11/8/2011, 05:38 PM
The picking order is ALWAYS Sugar, Orange, then finally, Fiesta. I haven't a clue how that happened, but that is how it is every yr.

Not true.

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will be placed in the National Championship Game ("NCG").

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-12 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-12 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl.

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

4. After steps No. 1, 2 and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order for the games played in 2007 through 2010:

January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

January 2012 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

January 2013 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

January 2014 games: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta

All teams earning automatic berths must be selected.

Sugar has gotten to pick first or second the last few years because their champ has played for the NC.

Iam4OUru
11/8/2011, 09:48 PM
OU controls some of its destiny based on the Dec 3rd game with the pukes. If OU beats the pukes and Stanford wins out they should go, if Stanford loses, let Boise State go. In that situation Boise deserves a shot without hearing all the p&m about their strength of schedule. As for Bama and LSU, as Lou Holtz said: "now we know who has the best kicker". While that is true, what I saw was two darned good defenses shutting down two pretty good offenses. That said, a "rematch" should not be in the cards. It would not totally shock me to see the Piggies beat LSU, although it is in Tiger land.

As it was in 2007 when LSU was, once again, ranked #1 but Ar-Kansas won.