PDA

View Full Version : Lou said it best

booomer
11/6/2011, 12:07 AM
"The only thing we learned tonight is that LSU has a better kicker than Bama."

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:15 AM
I'll just be glad to not hear about it anymore....hopefully Arky can win and create a three way tie. Top two teams they take the head to head...Arky sneaks into championship game...

Red
11/6/2011, 12:27 AM
Couldn't agree more. Seriously I still have no clue which team is actually better.

Okie35
11/6/2011, 12:28 AM
I'll just be glad to not hear about it anymore....hopefully Arky can win and create a three way tie. Top two teams they take the head to head...Arky sneaks into championship game...

Its possible.

soonerman4life
11/6/2011, 12:33 AM
Couldn't agree more. Seriously I still have no clue which team is actually better.

I thought Bama looked like the better team. Shoot, they left 9 points on the table with 2 missed field goals and 1 blocked.

Soonerfan88
11/6/2011, 12:33 AM
Although I am reluctant to give Doug Gottlieb too much credit, I completely agree with him on this game. He said if college football fans and media want to continue preaching about every game being a playoff and the regular season meaning so much, they need to accept the outcome of this game and quit asking for a rematch for the title. What would we learn from the 2nd game? If LSU wins again then Bama wasn't good enough and shouldn't have gotten the 2nd change. If Bama wins, it's a wash and we would need a 3rd game to determine anything. If OU and the other 1 loss teams don't get a mulligan to prove their loss was a fluke then Bama shouldn't either.

Also, other than Florida & $Cam, has any SEC team fielded a real offense? We need to quit singling out the Big 10 as '3 yrds and a cloud of dust' and apply that the SEC instead.

LSUdeek
11/6/2011, 12:39 AM
Also, other than Florida & $Cam, has any SEC team fielded a real offense? We need to quit singling out the Big 10 as '3 yrds and a cloud of dust' and apply that the SEC instead.

Sigh. I'd like to think that the SEC's dominant OOC victories against the best teams in the Pac 12, Big 10, and Big East in 2011 -- not to mention 5 straight MNCs -- would shut this type of crap up, but I guess we'll have to stone someone in the Big 12 before getting any credit around here.

soonergirlNeugene
11/6/2011, 12:45 AM
Well as far as a rematch goes, we already know Bama<LSU, but we won't know whether Stanford, OU/OSU, or Boise are. I was against it in 2006 and I'm against it now. Rematches for the title are fail.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/6/2011, 12:49 AM
every game counts. you get your chance, and if you win, great. if you lose, well, you lose. go **** yerself! ;)

BOOMER

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 12:51 AM
Sigh. I'd like to think that the SEC's dominant OOC victories against the best teams in the Pac 12, Big 10, and Big East in 2011 -- not to mention 5 straight MNCs -- would shut this type of crap up, but I guess we'll have to stone someone in the Big 12 before getting any credit around here.

This is the thing...there has never been an SEC team to stone a big 12 team.

LSU beat OU by 7
Bama barely beat Texas without McCoy
OU lost to UF by 10.

Not to mention Auburn and Oregon last year was a close one too.

THe SEC may have gotten 5 in a row...but that does not show how great your conference is. And generally I would agree that the SEC is the best...but not this year. They are very top heavy with Bama and LSU.

It seems everyone else is playing for 3rd!

That said, don't hang your thoughts on the past.

If the past had much relevance, then the SEC would not be producing championships like they are now in football.

And finally, trust me when I say this....soon enough the SEC recruiting practices will be their downfall. So will their admission requirements for prop 48/16 student-athletes!

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2011, 01:02 AM

Do you need some sort of recognition for LSU football greatness to bolster your self esteem? I'm sure you could find it on some SEC board out there.

LSUdeek
11/6/2011, 01:13 AM
Salient point :) I like this board. What can I say.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2011, 01:24 AM

Really? I didnt know Stanford lost to one of you guys. I do seem to recall Boise State kicking the crap out of a team from Georgia, in Georgia though. And that team leads a division of the mighty SEC. I also recall a supposedly top level SEC team barely beating the team we just demolished today thats middle of the pack at best in the Big XII. Also, what in the name of all things Holy do 5 years in the past have to do with this season? Anything at all really?

I wonder what OUs NC record would be if we got to play our NC games in OKC or Norman, or heck, even Dallas? Im thinking OU would have at least one more NC and that string of 5 wouldnt exist.

LSUdeek
11/6/2011, 01:29 AM
Really? I didnt know Stanford lost to one of you guys. I do seem to recall Boise State kicking the crap out of a team from Georgia, in Georgia though. And that team leads a division of the mighty SEC. I also recall a supposedly top level SEC team barely beating the team we just demolished today thats middle of the pack at best in the Big XII. Also, what in the name of all things Holy do 5 years in the past have to do with this season? Anything at all really?

I wonder what OUs NC record would be if we got to play our NC games in OKC or Norman, or heck, even Dallas? Im thinking OU would have at least one more NC and that string of 5 wouldnt exist.

LSU only has one of those that were in our home state. Want to put some money on Stanford against Oregon next week?

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:32 AM
The SEC East is atrocious, there is no doubting that. But to say that the SEC's run of 5 straight is due to 1 one of the 5 being in New Orleans is ridiculous. The one game that was in New Orleans was LSU beating the hell out of OSU, the year after Florida beat the hell out of them. That game could have been played on the moon or on Woody Hayes' grave and it wouldn't have mattered.

silverwheels
11/6/2011, 01:33 AM
All 4 of LSU's BCS appearances have been in the Sugar Bowl/New Orleans, including two BCS title game appearances. Would be nice for the Big 12 to get that kind of treatment from the BCS instead of the ****ing Fiesta Bowl.

That said, the SEC has been on this run because they play better in the trenches than anyone else.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:36 AM
I personally think that LSU fans are sometimes neck and neck with West Virginia's for being the most obnoxious in the country, but that has nothing to do with objective football. LSU beat the hell out of Oregon in Jerry World (including giving up a prevent D at the end that made the score actually look a little bit better), and no one seemed to question anything about them then. Tonight's game was by far a higher quality matchup, but many casual fans are completely missing the nuances there.

LSU would completely drill little brother or Stanford, although I tend to agree with LSUdeek that Oregon will beat Stanford next week anyway.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:39 AM
As for the thread title, how a team can be the caliber of Alabama's and not have a kicker is beyond me. It's amazing that a team would recruit 5 star athletes in every other position, and just completely neglect to bring in the best kickoff men, field goal kickers, and punters. Even C-USA teams pretty much all have decent kickers.

LSUdeek
11/6/2011, 01:42 AM
The Foster kid is actually a scholarship kicker out of Southlake Carroll in Dallas. He had some major offers. The other kicker and punter are walkons. They have someone verbally committed for 2012 as well.

Since Tiffin left it's been an adventure to say the least.

Okie35
11/6/2011, 02:25 AM
I thought Bama looked like the better team. Shoot, they left 9 points on the table with 2 missed field goals and 1 blocked.

The better team would've made those field goals. What's weird to me is how nobody could score a TD. Especially Bama @ home. Oh, that's right their QB was atrocious.

EatLeadCommie
11/6/2011, 06:14 AM
Arky is the K-State of the SEC

SoonerSpock
11/6/2011, 07:55 AM

Unfortunately the pigs winning in Baton Rouge will be little more than slim. At least the game is an afternoon game. Were it at night I would say their chances were nil.

However the game will identify how the tigers will defend a spread passing attack so either the pukes or OU will gain some knowledge they would not have otherwise.

cleller
11/6/2011, 08:02 AM

Right now the SEC needs to be shown for what they are this year. Good defenses, but pitiful offense. In that regard both these teams look like they belong down around #4. They might have been able to keep Oregon in check the first game of the year, but Boise, OSU, OU would all score lots on these two.
If our defense had just a decent game, we'd do fine.

Indy Sooner
11/6/2011, 09:10 AM
As for the thread title, how a team can be the caliber of Alabama's and not have a kicker is beyond me. It's amazing that a team would recruit 5 star athletes in every other position, and just completely neglect to bring in the best kickoff men, field goal kickers, and punters. Even C-USA teams pretty much all have decent kickers.
Seems this phenomenon is not confined to Tuscaloosa.

picasso
11/6/2011, 09:20 AM
Did Lou say that while playing the juice harp?

MikeGundy'sPaperboy
11/6/2011, 09:21 AM
I thought Lou said it best (in response to a rematch): "Only if you want to see a bad football game again. That's what this was, a bad football game"

OUNASH
11/6/2011, 09:29 AM

YOu could say the same thing about OU. As I watched the game last night, I was thinking we werent the only one with special team problems (Kickers). This cost Bama the game and would have cost OU.

SoonerMom2
11/6/2011, 11:50 AM
Not only were Alabama's kickers bad, but their play calling especially in overtime was not much better. The game was boring. Game of the century was a joke!

IronHorseSooner
11/6/2011, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately the pigs winning in Baton Rouge will be little more than slim. At least the game is an afternoon game. Were it at night I would say their chances were nil.

However the game will identify how the tigers will defend a spread passing attack so either the pukes or OU will gain some knowledge they would not have otherwise.

Arky is the one team that seems to have LSU's number, and I would say that they do have the talent to do it. LSU was looking pretty good last year for a trip to the Sugar Bowl last year, and Arky stole their lunch money.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:37 PM
Arky is the one team that seems to have LSU's number, and I would say that they do have the talent to do it. LSU was looking pretty good last year for a trip to the Sugar Bowl last year, and Arky stole their lunch money.

I think this game will be a lot closer than most people think, and Arkansas might pull the upset.

OUInformant
11/6/2011, 12:53 PM
When you have a system like the BCS, which relies on human judgment to some degree, then some teams will get screwed every year. We still have to use some logic to pick the teams in the championship game, even knowing that things will probably shake up unfairly for some teams. OU lost to a horrible Texas Tech team, but that was obviously a fluke because OU didn't come prepared to play. OU would probably win that game 99/100 times. I couldn't really say that about LSU and Alabama. They both were ready to play, and brought their A-games. LSU beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, that is what I see. Missing FGs is part of the game. Had we hit our FGs against Tech, we'd be undefeated. I would rather see LSU (if they win out) play OSU, Stanford, or a 1-loss OU in the national title game to prove they are #1.

Does that sound fair to a 1-loss Alabama? Not really. Does OU get somewhat of a free pass, here? Yes, a little bit. However, this is the most fair way to determine the national champion, IMHO. I really don't want to see a re-match.

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:56 PM
When you have a system like the BCS, which relies on human judgment to some degree, then some teams will get screwed every year. We still have to use some logic to pick the teams in the championship game. OU lost to a horrible Texas Tech team, but that was obviously a fluke because OU didn't come prepared to play. I couldn't really say that about LSU and Alabama. They both were ready to play, and brought their A game. LSU beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, that is what I see. Missing FGs is part of the game. Had we hit our FGs against Tech, we'd be undefeated. I would rather see LSU (if they win out) play OSU, Stanford, or a 1-loss OU in the national title game to prove they are #1.

Does that sound fair to a 1-loss Alabama? Not really. However, that is the most fair way to do things IMO.

And a lot of it these days it what team we want to see play. If people want to see us in it they'll vote us in, and it helps that a lot of people want to see oklahoma whether it be rooting for us to win or lose.