PDA

View Full Version : I hope we don't make it to the title game now

Jacie
11/5/2011, 08:54 PM
Blasphemy, I know.

But look, the Sooners have had a bad three-week run with the loss to sand aggs, winning games but losing OUr best RB and WR.

That the coaching staff addressed the red zone scoring issue using Blake Bell in short-yardage situations is a positive but overall, OU is not as good or at least hasn't looked it, since beating sa*et.

Watching the LSU/bama game convinces me the OU has no business in the title game, no matter how things shake out.

I hope for OUr sake, Stanford doesn't lose between now and then or Oklahoma could play it's way back to #2 in the BCS.

Better for the Sooners to play a Big East or ACC champion than get destroyed in NOLA by the SEC champ . . .

SoonerInFortSmith
11/5/2011, 08:58 PM
What a loser attitude.

Okie35
11/5/2011, 08:58 PM
Watching the LSU/bama game convinces me the OU has no business in the title game, no matter how things shake out.

What? Have you seen their offense and so many missed open receivers? If the defense came to play we'd be able to play w/ either team. Thing is I don't know if that would happen though but I would never throw in the towel like you just did.

boomersooner28
11/5/2011, 09:00 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. How could OUr defense not play against this inept offense? And about this OMG THESE DEFENSES OUR AMAZING BS....have you seen all the blown coverages and WR's running wide open? Landry and the boys would have a field day.

boomersooner28
11/5/2011, 09:01 PM
I actually thought LSU and Bammer were better than what I've seen tonight. I think we could beat both of em. Seriously.

Okie35
11/5/2011, 09:03 PM
I actually thought LSU and Bammer were better than what I've seen tonight. I think we could beat both of em. Seriously.

The run defense would have to play to its potential but offensively we'd be able to score.

agoo758
11/5/2011, 09:03 PM
I hate this thread. Delete please.

boomersooner28
11/5/2011, 09:04 PM
Trent Richardson is as good as advertised. after that...meh.

Blue
11/5/2011, 09:04 PM
What a loser attitude.

Yup. OU can't compete with Florida State!

Ohio St can't compete with Miami!

LSU cant compete with OU!

Texas cant compete with USC!

Tennessee cant compete with FSU!

All it takes is one game and one sweet gameplan. 2000 should have taught you that.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2011, 09:05 PM
I really want to lock this

AlboSooner
11/5/2011, 09:05 PM
One of the worst threads I've ever read, and I used to post on OUI.

cleller
11/5/2011, 09:07 PM
Bama/LSU both a big letdown. Defenses are good, maybe great, but offenses/QBs are way below Big 12 standards. If our D gave a solid effort, and the offense played at least average, we'd take 'em right down.

OSU will light either team up, don't know about OSU's defense.

JLEW1818
11/5/2011, 09:08 PM
Jacie just stfu ****

A Sooner in Texas
11/5/2011, 09:09 PM
One of the best ways our team can continue to honor Austin Box, and Dominique Whaley, and now Ryan Broyles is to WIN OUT and get to that ********* NC. From what I've seen tonight of Bama-LSU, we are every bit as good as they are.

EatLeadCommie
11/5/2011, 09:09 PM
We will be a completely different football team without Ryan. Much easier to defend. It is a huge loss, so I tend to agree with the OP. Loser attitude, perhaps, but we are without 2 of our best 3 players for the rest of the season. Broyles has been our best player for the last 3 years and, frankly, nobody is even a close second.

OUNASH
11/5/2011, 09:11 PM
Bama/LSU both a big letdown. Defenses are good, maybe great, but offenses/QBs are way below Big 12 standards. If our D gave a solid effort, and the offense played at least average, we'd take 'em right down.

OSU will light either team up, don't know about OSU's defense.

OsU will not make it to the Champ game and you can take that to the bank. I think the Sooners might have a say in that. If OU comes to play even minus half their starters they will beat the orange aggy.

Okie35
11/5/2011, 09:12 PM
We will be a completely different football team with Ryan. Much easier to defend. It is a huge loss, so I tend to agree with the OP. Loser attitude, perhaps, but we are without 2 of our best 3 players for the rest of the season. Broyles has been our best player for the last 3 years and, frankly, nobody is even a close second.

I guess when Demarco was healthy he sucked.

SoonerofAlabama
11/5/2011, 09:16 PM
CHASE. FOR. EIGHT.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2011, 09:19 PM
To me, I don't think OU failed in honoring those guys if OU doesn't win the NC...I think the best way to honor them is to be good teammates and play your position the best you can..

A Sooner in Texas
11/5/2011, 09:21 PM
To me, I don't think OU failed in honoring those guys if OU doesn't win the NC...I think the best way to honor them is to be good teammates and play your position the best you can..

Nobody said anything about "failure" if we don't win the NC. You basically paraphrased the meaning of what I said.

JLEW1818
11/5/2011, 09:22 PM

correct.

some peoples...

85sooners
You phucking pu$$y!! Are you a poke?

winout
Time for some Sooner Magic.

JLEW1818
11/5/2011, 09:24 PM
Stoops won't lose to Hair Gel if the national title is on the line.

Dwight
11/5/2011, 09:28 PM
lolwut?

kevpks
11/5/2011, 09:37 PM
I completely disagree with the premise of this post. I want the Sooners in the title game every year and I don't care how we get there or who the opponent is because with this coaching staff and our talent we have a good chance to win against anyone. There is nothing in this Bama/LSU game that makes me think we can't play with these teams. In fact, I feel a lot better about the matchups after watching these offenses.

delhalew
11/5/2011, 09:57 PM
This ****ing thread should be nuked to death.

soonergirlNeugene
11/5/2011, 10:02 PM
I wish my lawn was as emo as some of our posters. Then it would just cut itself every Saturday.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:02 PM
I agree with the OP. You're not a "bad Sooner" if you don't think OU deserves to be in the title game if we miraculously back in. You're being realistic. It's funny how everyone got a hard-on in the 87 borderline retard "we can still haz the national champship?" threads immediately after the Tech loss, but people want to lock the thread if someone believes (gasp!) that OU isn't the best team in the country. Take off your crimson-colored glasses for f*cks sake.

Look, it's great to be "optimistic" and what not, but OU stumbling into the title game and getting butt-raped is bad for the program, not good for it.

Biggnick15
11/5/2011, 10:03 PM
The OP needs a swift kick in the balls/ovaries. If a crappy TTU can come in and win in Norman we can sure as heck have a chance against anyone.

Soonermagik
11/5/2011, 10:04 PM
LOL.... you mean those 2 terrible offenses? I mean, yeah they play good defense, but these offenses are terrible. If OU could jump up by double digits neither one of these teams has the offensive firepower to come back. This OU team shows up big on the big stage and has hangover type games where they are favored big. This team has the ability to win it all.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:04 PM
If a crappy TTU can come in and win in Norman we can sure as heck have a chance against anyone.

WHAT?

westbrooke
11/5/2011, 10:05 PM
I'm glad others have chimed in before I saw this. Nothing in tonight's GAME OF ETERNITY makes me think these teams are anything special. Good defenses. Offenses look like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWk6RgQbPVc). We can play with and beat either of these teams, even without Whaley and Broyles.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:08 PM
I'm glad others have chimed in before I saw this. Nothing in tonight's GAME OF ETERNITY makes me think these teams are anything special. Good defenses. Offenses look like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWk6RgQbPVc). We can play with and beat either of these teams, even without Whaley and Broyles.

I'm pretty sure LSU's or Bama's offense is about 15 times better than Tech's, who put on 40+ by the way (it's almost like people on here have forgotten).

meoveryouxinfinity
11/5/2011, 10:08 PM
Good thing it's not really up to you. Go home.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:09 PM
LOL.... you mean those 2 terrible offenses? I mean, yeah they play good defense, but these offenses are terrible. If OU could jump up by double digits neither one of these teams has the offensive firepower to come back. This OU team shows up big on the big stage and has hangover type games where they are favored big. This team has the ability to win it all.

Do you think Bama or LSU could beat Tech?

Fraggle145
11/5/2011, 10:12 PM

Uhhhh yeah. These teams are not living up to the hype.

Always_Sooner
11/5/2011, 10:14 PM
Whatever happens will happen.

marfacowboy
11/5/2011, 10:15 PM
I can't believe you even said such a thing.

Blue
I'm pretty sure LSU's or Bama's offense is about 15 times better than Tech's, who put on 40+ by the way (it's almost like people on here have forgotten).

One game anything can happen. We have the talent to compete.

Fraggle145

This is the dumbest logic ever. One game doesnt make a season.

Fraggle145
11/5/2011, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or does Bama seem like the better team?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/5/2011, 10:16 PM
Whatever happens will happen.
Exactly. We worry about *WHO TO ROOT FOR* Bama or LSU??? Like who we root for will actually impact the outcome of the game...riiiight.

bringit
11/5/2011, 10:18 PM
these offenses suck

Soonermagik
11/5/2011, 10:24 PM
Do you think Bama or LSU could beat Tech?

Sure.. Tech plays no D. OU has a great offense and has played good D all year with the exception of the the Tech game.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:28 PM
This is the dumbest logic ever. One game doesnt make a season.

Maybe. It does seem to be the logic we use to evaluate every team that isn't called OU though. When OU loses to a horrible team, it's always a "fluke," and doesn't mean anything on how good the team is. I see what you're saying. But my opinion is that OU is seriously overrated on defense, a little inconsistent on offense, and has a hard time rising to challenges and playing inspired when they need to. These opinions aren't only based on the Tech game. Also, remember our main claim to fame is beating FSU, who has turned out to be a very mediocre team. I know every team "has it's day" and plays a bad game. I just see an overrated team almost every week out. Not a bad team, just not national championship caliber.

Fraggle145
11/5/2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe. It does seem to be the logic we use to evaluate every team that isn't called OU though. When OU loses to a horrible team, it's always a "fluke," and doesn't mean anything on how good the team is. I see what you're saying. But my opinion is that OU is seriously overrated on defense, a little inconsistent on offense, and has a hard time rising to challenges and playing inspired when they need to. These opinions aren't only based on the Tech game. Also, remember our main claim to fame is beating FSU, who has turned out to be a very mediocre team. I know every team "has it's day" and plays a bad game. I just see an overrated team almost every week out. Not a bad team, just not national championship caliber.

And Texas, and Kansas St, etc...

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:32 PM
these offenses suck

Funny, we always used to talk about how other teams' defenses sucked when they always had 52-49 games, etc. (think USC in 2004 before we played them).

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:33 PM
And Texas, and Kansas St, etc...

Yeah, they were good wins. I'll point out by overrated, I mean overrated by fellow Sooner fans on this board (the general feeling that we are the best team in the country). I think other teams have done more than our beating Texas and KSU. I could be wrong, it's just how I see it.

Edit: In other words, Alabama and Oregon > Texas and KSU.

Fraggle145
11/5/2011, 10:39 PM
Jeezus Leroy. Just stuff it.

Keller Sooner
11/5/2011, 10:47 PM
Well the players hope they do and they are the ones that put in all the sweat and hard work. you're just a fan, get over yourself.

sooner KB
11/5/2011, 10:51 PM
Just stuff it.

Didn't think you had an answer...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2011, 11:11 PM
Didn't think you had an answer...When we face opponents we either respect or BELIEVE they have talent, we have been motivated, ie FSU and TX. We will also be up for lOSUr. I believe we might be up for the tigerbaits, and have a chance to beat them, although their being at home again for the NC game will be hard on ANY opponent. I would rather have a shot at them than not.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2011, 11:14 PM
Funny, we always used to talk about how other teams' defenses sucked when they always had 52-49 games, etc. (think USC in 2004 before we played them).

You lost me - are you saying we thought 'SC had a weak D in '04? They had one of the top defenses in the country that years.

SoonerSpock
11/6/2011, 12:04 AM
OsU will not make it to the Champ game and you can take that to the bank. I think the Sooners might have a say in that. If OU comes to play even minus half their starters they will beat the orange aggy.

You are right if we win the turnover battle which we have lost 4 of the last 5 games. Give the pukes a plus +2 turnover margin and the Sooners will lose by 17-21 points. If we can win the turnovers in Stoolwater we will win the game.

Fraggle145
11/6/2011, 12:11 AM
Didn't think you had an answer...

When you argue with a dumbass nobody can tell which is which.

OU_Sooners75
11/6/2011, 12:16 AM
You are right if we win the turnover battle which we have lost 4 of the last 5 games. Give the pukes a plus +2 turnover margin and the Sooners will lose by 17-21 points. If we can win the turnovers in Stoolwater we will win the game.

So 2 turnovers are worth 17-21 points today?

Ooooookay

jumperstop
11/6/2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know if we'll get a chance...the rematch idea is gaining more ground...

soonerman4life
11/6/2011, 01:03 AM
There is no doubt that OUr offense is better than those on the field in the game of the century tonight. And with regard to losing RB and DW, yes it's a signigicant loss to OUr team. But...let's not forget the skills that Reynolds, Stills, and Miller bring to the table. They are all great players capable of making game winning plays. The loss of Dom is a bigger deal but Finch is making a good contribution, we just need to do better opening holes for him. What may be missed the most is the blocking ability Dom gave us for protecting Landry.
Bottom line: From what I saw tonight, OU could compete with Bama or LSU provided they play a complete game.

8timechamps
11/6/2011, 01:09 AM
Is it just me or does Bama seem like the better team?

Nope, I'm with you. If Bama can make one of the missed/blocked FGs in regulation...LSU is done. I think as poorly as Bama played on offense, they looked better the entire game. I wasn't impressed with either of them. Sure they're both good, but not in a different league as the media and SEC fans would have you believe.

LSUdeek
11/6/2011, 01:12 AM
Trent Richardson was the best player on the field. Alabama's entire offense goes through #3. Having said that, LSU stopped him at the critical times in the game, and Alabama couldn't make plays outside of #3 on a consistent basis.

Not having a reliable kicking game is a recipe for losing football.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:19 AM
Anyone hating on the OP is either so impartial or emotional that they can't be objective, or haven't played/watched a lot of football. LSU has piled up the points against virtually everyone else that they've played (outside of Miss State), and Alabama's defense really is just that good (with no less than four 1st rounders projected off of it).

Anyone who thinks that little brother is laying out the blue print to beating LSU is delusional. LSU would score at will against little brother, while I might even go so far as to predict that the LSU defense would score more points off of turnovers against little brother than little brother would score against LSU. You simply don't win championships by beating teams like K State 52-45, with multiple big plays given up on every side of the ball.

I actually had a feeling that this exact thing would happen. When two great defenses match up with two pretty good offenses, a defensive battle ensues, and all those who haven't played the game complain that defensive battles are boring or that the teams involved really aren't that good. I'm 99% certain that we just saw the best two teams square off, but would love to be wrong.

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 01:22 AM
Congrats LSU. I was slightly pulling for Alabama, and am sure that their fan base will be heartbroken for quite awhile due to so many missed opportunities. I think that you are absolutely right to praise Richardson in a losing effort though. Even though his stats weren't glowing, he stayed on his feet after some unbelievable hits and had some of the best four yard runs that I've ever witnessed. He will be a tremendous pro.

I mean this half genuinely and half as a jinx, but congrats ahead of time on your national championship. Barring a repeat game, I see no one who can stand with you toe to toe outside of Tuscaloosa.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2011, 01:35 AM
Congrats LSU. I was slightly pulling for Alabama, and am sure that their fan base will be heartbroken for quite awhile due to so many missed opportunities. I think that you are absolutely right to praise Richardson in a losing effort though. Even though his stats weren't glowing, he stayed on his feet after some unbelievable hits and had some of the best four yard runs that I've ever witnessed. He will be a tremendous pro.

I mean this half genuinely and half as a jinx, but congrats ahead of time on your national championship. Barring a repeat game, I see no one who can stand with you toe to toe outside of Tuscaloosa.

I tend to agree. The game turned out as advertised - 2 great defenses having to go to OT to settle it. But I see the reasons for the LSU win a little differently. It was Miles > Saban along with the players making the key plays. The game changed on that stolen pass at the goal line followed by that punt driving Bama back to their own 20. I don't blame the kickers. The 1st miss was 44yds and it's not that uncommon for kickers to miss from there. But the next 2 kicks were mistakes by Saban. They were both ~50 yards and he should have punted on both of those given the way the game was going. He would be more likely to score on defense had he backed up LSU on both those occasions. And he totally screwed up OT given the type of game it was. You've got to try to run for a few yards and keep yourself in FG range in that situation. Maybe it was just the players execution, but they didn't look sharp on that series and got pushed out of FG range which is almost always a loss in OT.

LASooner
11/6/2011, 02:47 AM

It convinced me that we have an All-SEC caliber field goal kicker in comparison.

HAMTTX
11/6/2011, 05:38 AM
I really believe OU could beat either of them, but there are some things that would sure seem to help. The first would be to come into the game a double digit underdog. For reasons I cannot explain OU has always seemed to benefit from this. The next thing is what all teams need. Something to happen everyone could/would call luck. A call, a turnover, whatever, just something to put OU in a easy score situation and they execute. Under the right set of circumstances OU could win. Because of that I would like to see them try. Could they get blown out? sure, but you can't win the big game if you ain't in the big game. Just my two cents.

oupride
11/6/2011, 05:42 AM
ditto

limey_sooner
11/6/2011, 05:45 AM
So you think if we win out, which means beating the number 3 team in the country at their place without our best running back and best receiver, we have "no business" in the title game. I'll just say that's an interesting way to look at it and leave it at that.

oupride
11/6/2011, 05:49 AM
LSU still sucks

pphilfran
11/6/2011, 06:12 AM
Blasphemy, I know.

But look, the Sooners have had a bad three-week run with the loss to sand aggs, winning games but losing OUr best RB and WR.

That the coaching staff addressed the red zone scoring issue using Blake Bell in short-yardage situations is a positive but overall, OU is not as good or at least hasn't looked it, since beating sa*et.

I hope for OUr sake, Stanford doesn't lose between now and then or Oklahoma could play it's way back to #2 in the BCS.

Better for the Sooners to play a Big East or ACC champion than get destroyed in NOLA by the SEC champ . . .

I hope the Sooners do play and win the MNG game so you can be pizzed off and depressed....

101sooner
11/6/2011, 06:27 AM
I think OU, OSU and KSU could all three beat 'Bama by 14+ points. Everyone likes to pick on OSU's defense or OU's running game, but they just want to brush over the fact that 'Bama's QB sucks and their FG kicker....well lets just say I'd keep ours over theirs ;)

McCarron is just not very good. He's not mobile, he's not good under pressure, he's not accurate. Why do they get a free pass on having a bad QB? That's a pretty important position right?

TulsaSooners
11/6/2011, 06:57 AM
I think OU, OSU and KSU could all three beat 'Bama by 14+ points. Everyone likes to pick on OSU's defense or OU's running game, but they just want to brush over the fact that 'Bama's QB sucks and their FG kicker....well lets just say I'd keep ours over theirs ;)

McCarron is just not very good. He's not mobile, he's not good under pressure, he's not accurate. Why do they get a free pass on having a bad QB? That's a pretty important position right?

If you truly believe that, you could make A LOT of money if you were to bet such a matchup with action points, as Bama would be a DD favorite easily. McCarron is not a star, but he is generally very efficient, which is often enough in the college game.

To put it another way, OSU eeked out a win over A&M, who lost in the exact same fashion to Arky, who was coming off a 24 point loss in a start to finish romp at the hands of Alabama. I make a large portion of my living handicapping, and truly believe that LSU and Alabama are in a class of their own. Alabama or LSU would beat a little brother or K State something along the lines of 45-10, give or take.

Sure, winning games 60-55 with little intensity and no fundamentals on defense is flashy (and America is all about bling over substance), but in the end I'd take the team that has a solid offense with a world class defense. Tbh I'd take Oregon over OSU or KSU, and LSU already beat the hell out of Oregon.

101sooner
11/6/2011, 07:38 AM
So we're going to ignore bad special teams play and average QB skills at best? So there is only one phase of football? Defense? Special teams and offense are not part of the formula?

As far as OSU over A&M who lost to Arky who lost to Bama, you are going down that VERY slippery slope of transitive logic in college football.

Listen, before last night, Alabama was getting as much respect as any team I've ever seen. As of this morning, they are just another one loss chump with the rest of us. If we are going to find flaws in Oklahoma's red-zone offense or OSU's defense, then it's only logical to criticize Alabama's one dimensional offense with average if not below average QB play. McCarron was completely ineffective and it wasn't because there weren't plays that were open, it's because he folded under pressure. It's only logical to criticize Saban's game management and the mental toughness of their FG kicker. Saban made poor decisions at critical times in last nights game and their FG kicker looks like he's about to wet his pants in clutch situations. As of now, Alabama is a team with a solid defense, a one dimensional offense with a mediocre QB that doesn't play well under pressure, a FG kicker that isn't very clutch and a HC that made some poor game management decisions in a big game.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. When I watch Alabama, I don't see some defense that would smother OSU or OU and I certainly don't think Alabama has the type of offense that can take advantage of OU's defensive deficiencies.

LRoss
11/6/2011, 07:58 AM
To those defending the OP:

I don't know that (many of) the posters who hate this thread are necessarily saying that OU's the best team in the nation, that they "deserve" a spot in the MNC, or whatever. Perhaps some do, but honestly that's irrelevant anyway.

What's embarrassing about the op is the loser mentality. The "let's not risk being embarrassed, no matter how great the potential reward might be" thought process. "Let's not ask out the cheerleader because she might say no, so I'll take the girl I don't really like instead." Screw that. Without risk there is no reward. Focusing on the potential things that could go wrong means never chasing after anything worth having. And honestly (as we've seen, as has every other fan base in sports), there's the risk of losing or being embarrassed every time out. So when a team has a realistic (less than 50%, but still real) chance of being one herculean performance from #8, to suggest that it's better to not even PLAY for it for fear of looking bad? Forget it.

Sure, LSU would probably be favored. And if OU played LSU 10 times, maybe LSU wins more than their share. But no way do they win all 10, and the only one that counts is the one that's played. So if there's any opportunity to get in the game, the only response ought to be "Line 'em up!"

soonerman4life
11/6/2011, 11:02 AM
^ this. Many also said the 2000 NC was going to be an exerciese in futility as well.

BudSooner
11/6/2011, 11:26 AM
Anyone know of a place in this thread I can take a **** in?

FirstandGoal
11/6/2011, 11:35 AM
Blasphemy, I know.

So do you suck at everything, or just posting?

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 01:52 PM
Les Miles is still a weirdo.

EatLeadCommie
11/6/2011, 02:50 PM
I guess when Demarco was healthy he sucked.
Demarco was awesome, but when your team can't run block, your role and influence is limited. We pass more than we run, and Broyles is an issue for opposing defenses every time we pass. Broyles is the guy who gave Landry those stats and victories his first year, and he has been the primary target every year since.

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 03:10 PM
Jacie, I cant possibly believe that you meant what you said. You need to step back away from the keyboard until Wednesday. Thats about how long you need to deal with this defeatist attitude. Please refrain from poisoning this board with it.

There were some bad and no calls in LSUs favor that made a huge difference in the outcome of that game; bad calls that if not made, would have made the contest more honest. They are no better than Alabama. You got lucky. I think there are a lot of teams that could beat LSU, including OU.

11/6/2011, 04:43 PM
Les Miles is still a weirdo.How could such a strange person be such an effective coach? One of life's great mysteries.

wishbonesooner
11/6/2011, 04:55 PM
Both those defenses were stout. No question about it. But could they play perfect coverage for 70-80 plays without one of our receivers making a play? I'd still like a shot.

Herr Scholz
11/6/2011, 05:01 PM
You always want to play the game. I wanted my Horns to play Miami in 2001 even though they had like 40 NFL players on that team. Always take the shot if you can.

Sabanball
11/6/2011, 05:04 PM
Both those defenses were stout. No question about it. But could they play perfect coverage for 70-80 plays without one of our receivers making a play? I'd still like a shot.

Of course not, and I don't know anyone that says they wouldn't. But you wouldn't throw for 400 yds and score 45 pts either....

MamaMia
11/6/2011, 05:05 PM
How could such a strange person be such an effective coach? One of life's great mysteries.A bigger mystery is how the two people who coached oSu are are Kings of the NCAA mountain, right now, as we speak. If someone would have told me this would happen, I would have laughed aloud. Hell hath surely freezed over.

ashley
11/6/2011, 05:17 PM
I think it will be hard to beat either team. Both of their defenses are as good as advertised and their offenses just play it safe. Both offenses looked a lot worse than they would against other teams. They are not great on O but much better than last night.

cantwait48
11/6/2011, 06:53 PM
I think it will be hard to beat either team. Both of their defenses are as good as advertised and their offenses just play it safe. Both offenses looked a lot worse than they would against other teams. They are not great on O but much better than last night.

I agree, both these teams can score some points, just not against each other. Either team would establish a running game against ou or osu and that would open up some play action. I think either team would eat our offensive line for dinner on the first series and finch would be the after dinner mint. you think we have red zone issues against teams like ku ? what do you think it would look like against bama or lsu? If we played them in a regular season matchup I could see us scoring some on their D but not so much with over a month of watching film and preparing for our offense. Having said that it would be fun to try to beat them.

VA Sooner
11/6/2011, 06:59 PM
We can beat them both... last night's game, although a defensive game at that, showed me that they are both beatable.

Adjustments for the next three games... that's how the year will pan out and younger players will step up because their number will be called. Jamelle Holieway did it when Aikman went out.... and he won a national championship early in his college career.

Losing Whaley and Broyles sucks... yes indeed. But get back into the film room, start scheming and changing looks and use our teams' talents to the best of their abilities and more importantly, make these kids believe that number 8 is out there.

Boomer.

Iam4OUru
11/6/2011, 07:14 PM

That's right!

Soonerjeepman
11/6/2011, 07:29 PM
dude...our offense will light them up...their D maybe good...but both have NO FRICKIN offense...ugh..

11/6/2011, 08:44 PM
A bigger mystery is how the two people who coached oSu are are Kings of the NCAA mountain, right now, as we speak. If someone would have told me this would happen, I would have laughed aloud. Hell hath surely freezed over.you refer to Leslie and who else?

PLaw
11/6/2011, 09:21 PM
What? Have you seen their offense and so many missed open receivers? If the defense came to play we'd be able to play w/ either team. Thing is I don't know if that would happen though but I would never throw in the towel like you just did.

Seriously - spot on. There is no defense in the SEC that faces the offensive air attack that you see every week in the BIG XII.

I was going to make this a separate post for a rant, but what the heck - let's do it now.

The SEC looks like the Big 8 did back in the 70's and 80's. Smash mouth offense with stone wall defense. That's how teams were built. I look at LSU and Bama and see OU and Nebraska a la about '73 - '84. Both had a very strong ground attack with very elementary air game. The defenses were thick, fast, and brought the wood.

So old fart and historians, what typically happened when those great teams ran into a sophisticated air attack? Yeah, WVU; Stanford; Miami bring back any nightmares?

So, what has happened to OU over the Stoops era? In the early years, the defense was built on the old Big 8 principles of smash mouth, but has evolved to a hybrid designed to stop the most prolific passing attacks in NCAA history. In short, our defense is built to win the conference and not bring home the crystal.

On the O-side of the equation, the spread attack has an adverse impact to the OL state of mind to smash mouth. It would be nice to see Landry under center more and not in the gun. At some point, you are going to have to impose your will on the man across the line from you and make him go where he doesn't want to go. It's the epicenter of our red zone woes. The coaches have made it a point of emphasis to get this back. Until we introduced the Belldozer, there hadn't been much improvement. Clearly, there is hope here.

Here's to another Big XII championship and out side shot a the crystal.

BOOMER