PDA

View Full Version : New Coach

rysooner
11/5/2011, 10:17 AM
Kendall reporting yesterday that we are hiring Jack Giese as pitching coach. Currently at Hudson Valley and was formely at Howard JC.

northspeter
11/5/2011, 11:32 AM
seems like we've had a pipeline with howard lately...

IndySooner
11/6/2011, 11:42 AM
Not a surprise. It's good to keep a Texas JUCO connection.

rysooner
11/7/2011, 11:59 AM
Finally had a chance to read his bio on the baseball page, looks like a good hire for sure. I do like the fact we still have a good Texas connection.

bcolston15
11/7/2011, 07:57 PM
Rich Hills and Michael Rocha have also been added to the staff.

rysooner
11/8/2011, 11:19 AM
Rich Hills and Michael Rocha have also been added to the staff.

Interesting. Must have just happened because I looked yesterday and either I missed his picture or it was just added.

Heard Giese this morning on KREF. Sounded very excited to be here and to be with Sunny. Talked about the national preception that OU is one of the top programs in the country. Said the first pitch he saw Magnifico throw last week he thought "wow", looked at the gun and it showed 102. Said he wasn't coming in to really change things, but wanted to make the transition as seamless as possible and as easy on the kids as he could. Sounded like he might be a guy who can relate well to the kids.

perryj
11/10/2011, 12:15 PM
It looks like a good hire by SG. Only time will tell how the Thomas/Giese trade for Tadlock/Bell will pan out. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the job both did while here and wish them no ill will for leaving for better paying jobs at their Alma-maters.

The name Rich Hills kind of takes you back a few years. Glad to see former Sooners involved in the coaching staff.

oldtimer
11/11/2011, 11:45 PM
Hey Indy - what was the scoop behind Russell Raley leaving the Sooners coaching rank as the Volunteer Assistant? Sort of thought after four years of paying dues, Raley would have earned some additional time. Any info on where Raley went? Rich Hills sounds like he'll be a contributor as well.

With Bell, Tadlock, & Raley gone and almost two dozen new players I wouldn't be surprised if guys weren't wearing name tags for a few weeks. Ha ha. Any news on Chuck Kelly's replacement??

TumbleweedDoom
11/12/2011, 03:20 AM
Toby Rowland will be doing baseball.

IndySooner
11/12/2011, 11:40 AM
Hey Indy - what was the scoop behind Russell Raley leaving the Sooners coaching rank as the Volunteer Assistant? Sort of thought after four years of paying dues, Raley would have earned some additional time. Any info on where Raley went? Rich Hills sounds like he'll be a contributor as well.

With Bell, Tadlock, & Raley gone and almost two dozen new players I wouldn't be surprised if guys weren't wearing name tags for a few weeks. Ha ha. Any news on Chuck Kelly's replacement??

Don't know the story behind Raley being gone, but we all know there was lots of friction in that locker room last year, so who knows?

rysooner
11/14/2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Indy - what was the scoop behind Russell Raley leaving the Sooners coaching rank as the Volunteer Assistant? Sort of thought after four years of paying dues, Raley would have earned some additional time.
Any info on where Raley went? Rich Hills sounds like he'll be a contributor as well.

Raley is not coaching anywhere at this time. He has moved over to the sales field and is a working man now :uncomfortableness: