PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half team

8timechamps
11/4/2011, 06:50 PM
It's been a while (if ever) since I've seen a team have as many 2nd half letdowns as A&M has had this season. And while that's impressive (for everyone besides Aggie fans), this year's Sooner team may be the best 2nd half team I've ever seen in Norman.

I've always felt like our coaching staff was good at making half-time adjustments, but this season seems to rank among the best, in terms of correcting first half mistakes and exploiting opponents weaknesses.

Some interesting numbers:

OU has outscored their opponents 172-55 in the second half (117 points better). Compared to 196-98 in the first half (98 points better)

Not a huge change from the first half to the second half on offense, but defense seems to be where the biggest adjustments are made:

Through 8 games, the Sooner defense has allowed a total of 10 points in the third quarter (Tech had a touchdown, and Florida State had a FG). The defense has given up 55 points in the second half, compared to 98 in the first.

Clearly, the adjustments made on defense show in the points given up in the third quarter of games. Pretty amazing.

Also of note, the Sooner offense has scored in 26 of 28 quarters (with the only scoreless quarters being the second qtr of the Tech game and the third qtr of the Florida State game).

Given A&Ms trait of letting down in the second half, it doesn't look good for them tomorrow.

oudivesherpa
11/4/2011, 07:12 PM
AS my high school coach used to say, let's focus and just take 'em two at a time.

cccasooner2
11/4/2011, 07:16 PM
Give BV a raise!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerLaw09
11/4/2011, 07:18 PM
Adjustments are good, but I'd prefer we watch film and gameplan the D ahead of time. So the 1st half is good too. :)

Too many times the last several years I've seen us mail it in in the first half. Not so much recently, but the Sand Aggy game is a glaring example. Sometimes, you dig yourself too big a hole to get out of. IMO we need a bit more killer instinct from the opening kickoff through the whole season. We have it at times, but too inconsistent.

8timechamps
11/5/2011, 06:25 PM
Still have only given up 10 points in the 3rd quarter this year. Today (against A&M), the third quarter was the best quarter we played.

Whatever is going on at halftime is working.