PDA

View Full Version : Occupy Tulsa update

badger
11/3/2011, 04:30 PM
I had no idea that pepper spray looked so much like salad dressing... or watery ketchup.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20111102_298_0_Tulsap195784)

We had a few parades of protesters and a little gathering outside a bank earlier in October, but for the most part, the Occupy movement in Tulsa really hadn't been much more than than a blip in the radar.

Until now.

There's this little park by our tallest downtown building just off city hall and the BOK Tower where people like to drop their gum in the grass, so I usually don't stray far from the sidewalks.

That was not my usual useless verbage to get my word count up. It's important because in this battle of protesters versus city ordinances, the sidewalks are legal after 11 p.m. The park grass is not.

As such, two rounds of curfew violators have netted 23 arrests within a 24-hour period. Some of the mugs, which you can see on this article here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111102_11_0_MoreOc74092), are a lot more smiley than what I'm used to seeing from people who were just arrested (and had to post $300 bond too).

In addition, there was only one guy who was arrested on both rounds. He's from Austin, Texas. A lot of those arrested early this morning/late last night were from the OKC area. What, don't you capitol city people have your own Occupy movement, or are OKC police just ignoring you?

Unlike the first round of salad dressing pepper spraying, the second round was very uneventful from what I heard. People showed up in our cold misty rainy weather at curfew time, just waiting to get arrested. The police apparently went down the line and asked the protesters one by one if they were going to leave the grass for the sidewalk and when they said no, they were under arrest without incident. Zzzzz.

rpkW28n3phE

I don't really understand why people want to be arrested. I realize that it gets you brief fame and publicity for your cause, but once you're arrested, you hauled off to the jail, away from the TV cameras and your movement's host site. You get your name in print and your smiling mug on the jail site and media sites, I guess, but wouldn't you have been better served at the protest site, talking to the media and the curious onlookers rather than being paddywagoned off to jail?

Anyway, I post this now because I expect fireworks at tonight's Tulsa city council meeting, when they are expected to apply for (shout for?) a permit to stay at all hours at the park. As far as I'm concerned, they can have it. There's nobody really living downtown, so the noise doesn't bother many... and the grass is a good place to get gum on your shoe if you stray from the sidewalks, so by all means, cover those dropped gum wads with tents and signs.

soonercoop1
11/3/2011, 04:48 PM
Looks like some of them are more intelligent than I thought since they realized that protesting OKC would be nothing like protesting NYC...

AlboSooner
11/3/2011, 09:31 PM
You have to have courage to attend an OWS protest in deeply GOP-based Oklahoma. I know "Democrats" who haven't voted for a Democrat president since JFK.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 09:57 PM
You have to have courage to attend an OWS protest in deeply GOP-based Oklahoma.

Why does it require courage? The worst that will happen is that they will be arrested for violating a city ordinance... unless the protesters decide to escalate. I think the only think you need to occupy a city in Oklahoma or Texas is too much time on your hands.

soonercruiser
11/3/2011, 10:04 PM
Courage!!???? :hopelessness:
No! That would be serving your country in the military!

Badger,
Pepper spray is a well known Mexican "dressing" when there is a drought, like this year. That is how they store their excess pepper in the good years.

As far as "who is from where", the OKC crowd has only been about a dozen or so (according to the news). And, there are a few from Tulsa and out of town.
(....like Norman...and especially the OU campus....where you don't dare walk on the grass! You smoke it!) :D

badger
11/4/2011, 08:38 AM
Occupy Tulsa update: The city council tabled the permit thing. It was not a Dem-Republican thing either. The north Tulsa councilor said he worries that a free permit would set a bad precedent and the east Tulsa councilor said that she supported them, but wasn't sure how much she could do for them on the council.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20111104_11_A1_ULNSei376836)

So anyway, that means no permit till at least next Thursday, if at all and the police have said that those that violate city ordinances regarding curfew will continue to be arrested.

This includes the 10 arrested last night.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111103_11_0_Tenmor372593)

The guy from Austin that was already arrested twice has now been arrested thrice. There were a few other repeat arrested ones too. I think its $300 bail each time... can't say that I would waste my money like that.

There was no pepper spray involved, like yesterday. Once again, the ones that wanted to get arrested were on the gummy grass (NP reminded me that it is also filled with cigarette butts) and ones that didn't were cheering them on from the sidewalk. Media reports, including the linked article, said it was 40 on the sidewalk compared to 10 arrested. So, they are not the 99 percent, but the 20 percent. Heh. :D

Are they brave? Well, that park's grass is pretty nasty compared to the clean sidewalk, but the difference between arrest for a heated jail and getting to stay and protest in the cold outdoors is just that: Are you standing on the park's grass or the sidewalk. There is absolutely nothing else going on here in Occupy Tulsa. There is no Oakland riots or peeing in public like in New York or anything or vandalism or looting reported many other areas (to my knowledge). They did have tents, but I think they take them down so that police don't confiscate them after the curfew now.

From what I can see, this is not a GOP vs. Dem thing. This is just a matter of standing on crappy grass as opposed to a clean sidewalk.

cleller
11/4/2011, 08:52 AM
If they keep averaging 10 per night, the fines should be enough for Tulsa to build snow cone stands in some poor neighborhoods next summer.

badger
11/4/2011, 08:59 AM
If they keep averaging 10 per night, the fines should be enough for Tulsa to build snow cone stands in some poor neighborhoods next summer.

I have no idea where bail money is factored into city budgets... I think that money likely stays with the jail or the courts that charge bail. I don't think our jail is in destitute shape, but I've heard our courthouse needs help.

badger
11/4/2011, 05:57 PM
Here's a video of last night's arrests:

VicCxJA1L8c

Even if Occupy gets its permit approved by the city council next week, they aren't getting fees and financial duties waived.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111104_11_0_Occupy117498)

In a nutshell, the city parks officials said they can't make an exception for this group and not for others. The Tulsa mayor also came out and said that the curfew must be enforced and exceptions will not be made.

I don't know what the future holds for our local Occupy movement. Surely these guys can't afford to keep posting $300 bail. Some have also had other fees tacked on for whatever reason (for example, the linking arms and resisting arrest the first night resulting in additional $150 for at least one, I've also seen a seat belt violation... not sure what that was about). Overnight temperatures were freezing. The wind that downtown Tulsa gets (and the rain forecast for this weekend) can't make it any better to be staying up till 11 just to get handcuffed.

soonercruiser
11/4/2011, 10:42 PM
Badger,
That's the worst cheerleading that I have ever heard.
Who's the chicken taking the videos? It would nice to see some close-up shots.

And, who's gonna post Occupy OKC videos. Or, are there any?

badger
11/5/2011, 08:55 AM
That's the thing --- I wonder if OKC even cares, because there are OKC people coming up to Tulsa to get arrested. I know they've had events, but they weren't overnight camping ones like we've seen everywhere in the country (Tulsa included now)

They must be going into weekend mode, because only two were arrested last night, with two more getting citations.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111104_11_0_Occupy117498)

It sounds like the police are getting sick of arresting them, because here's what happened:

When the curfew went into effect at 11 p.m. Friday, four protesters remained on the grass at the park. Some police officers approached and talked to them, then retreated for about 10 minutes.

Officers then re-entered the park in force and arrested two people who stood steadfast on the grass and issued citations to the two others.

I don't think the police want to arrest anyone and they're being put in a difficult situation. The police know they're giving the protesters exactly what they want, yet an arrest is supposed to be like a punishment for doing something wrong. It's like sending a kid to his room after he misbehaves and once he gets there, he plays video games or watches cartoons.

AlboSooner
11/5/2011, 10:25 AM
The use of the word "courage" was not appropriate.

soonercruiser
11/5/2011, 09:19 PM
A "child" is not displaying courage when they throw a tantrum about not getting their way!

It's time to spread the red pepper fertilizer on the Square!

soonercruiser
11/5/2011, 10:51 PM
Anybody left on the grass tonight Badger?

badger
11/6/2011, 10:36 AM
Anybody left on the grass tonight Badger?

I was in Norman with the rest of you Sooners, but according to media reports, they had a rally yesterday at one of our city's most busy intersections -- 71st and Memorial.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111106_11_A19_CUTLIN484212)

I did not hear any reports of arrests.

Caboose
11/6/2011, 10:46 AM
You have to have courage to attend an OWS protest in deeply GOP-based Oklahoma. I know "Democrats" who haven't voted for a Democrat president since JFK.

I laughed out loud.

OhU1
11/6/2011, 11:57 AM
I'd let them sit in the park and ignore them. They are like chanting over dramatic children wanting an adult to pay attention to them.

BU BEAR
11/6/2011, 12:04 PM
I don't know what the future holds for our local Occupy movement. Surely these guys can't afford to keep posting $300 bail.

What? Dont all the 99%-ers have an extra $1,000 laying around for bail?

badger
11/6/2011, 02:21 PM
What? Dont all the 99%-ers have an extra $1,000 laying around for bail?

They might go back to the park during the week. I think they know that weekend media is usually not as active as during the work week.

soonercruiser
11/6/2011, 08:08 PM
I was in Norman with the rest of you Sooners, but according to media reports, they had a rally yesterday at one of our city's most busy intersections -- 71st and Memorial.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111106_11_A19_CUTLIN484212)

I did not hear any reports of arrests.

Badger,
Maybe the heavy traffic "took them out"!

Some of "us sooners" were watching from the comfort of the home couch.
:D

Or, they mighta thought the ground shaking was the National Guard tanks coming, and scattered!

KantoSooner
11/7/2011, 10:31 AM
Interesting side note: I drove through the protest site at 71st and Memorial Saturday. About 5-10 people with pathetic cardboard signs on each corner. Later I saw the press coverage and my-oh-my, the cameras were good to the protesters, making them look like a populist throng. Raised my suspicion that this 'movement' is more packaging than substance. Oh, and the one cop car in attendance contained one cop, drinking coffee and diddling with his radio. I was proud of Tulsa that the whole thing was very laid back and civil.

badger
11/7/2011, 12:10 PM
I have heard that OKC is gonna get back in the Occupy action Wednesday when they go to the Capitol. So, have fun with that, OKC :)

badger
11/7/2011, 12:51 PM
So... they decided to change their tactics last night apparently:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111107_11_0_Forthe843489)

Most protesters since Wednesday have left when officers ordered, police said.

Daniel Lee, a spokesman for Occupy Tulsa, said protesters plan to maintain a constant presence at the park or on the sidewalk but are changing the way they protest the curfew, which they still view as a violation of their right to assemble.

The protesters' compliance Sunday was meant as a peace offering to police, he said.

So, my guess is that they are sick of paying $300 bail, or the new police tactic, a $55 curfew violation citation. The police were likely getting sick of arresting them and the protesters were likely getting sick of paying bail/citations.

Breadburner
11/7/2011, 01:24 PM
www.lookwhogotbusted.com

Breadburner
11/7/2011, 01:31 PM
Pick out the protesters.....

http://www.lookwhogotbusted.com/category/tulsa-ok/page/23

OhU1
11/7/2011, 08:25 PM
Pick out the protesters.....

http://www.lookwhogotbusted.com/category/tulsa-ok/page/23

I won on the first guess! http://www.lookwhogotbusted.com/tulsa-ok/vanzant-john-franklin

cleller
11/7/2011, 08:36 PM
Did you-all watch that first video?
Serious Woman Occupier: Over 700 people are watching us right now!

These people give the real criminals a wussified name.

badger
11/14/2011, 01:59 PM
It has been about a week, but I guess Occupy Tulsa was sad about not being front page news anymore:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111114_11_0_Aftera996780&allcom=1#2785860)

Six arrests, including five who had been arrested before. Four citations issued.

To my knowledge, bail is still $300 and citations are either $40 or $50, so they are just pulling money outta their pocket to make a point (or a local TV station's morning news?).

If you want a make a point in public, here are badger's alternative suggestions to getting arrested:

1- Call media ahead of time to let them know exactly what you plan to do. Offer them tons of photo/video opportunities and make sure to let them know that people will be more than willing to accommodate interview requests.

2- Call police ahead of time. This might sound like you're asking for an arrest, but they really, really don't want to arrest you. Seriously. They can tell you exactly what is and isn't permissible and I've already heard that they will tell you what will warrant an arrest or a citation, potentially saving you money. They will also do whatever they can to ensure the safety of everyone. I remember a protest group planning to lie down in the middle of the street, so they told police exactly when and where and as soon as they cross the barricades to do it, police had the street blocked off so there was no danger of them getting run over.

3- Do not get arrested. This will not only take you away from where the media and attention is, but it will cost you money and time (for a future court date). Some might think that this is the only way to draw media attention. It isn't. College football players get tons of attention in the media whether they get arrested or not. Find a way to draw an audience that will not draw a citation/arrest.

4- Don't make yourself look bad. Rioting, looting and getting arrested is the stereotype for deviants that act out in public via a protest. Defy these stereotypes by leaving protest sites better than you found them, picking up cigarette butts or trash (and that downtown Tulsa park really, really needs it!) and be friendly to passers by.

How do I know all this stuff? Not from direct personal experience, but I've talked to law enforcement and protesters alike. Getting arrested is NOT worth it. The penalty is usually pretty light (100 hours of community service seems to be the going rate in Tulsa) and if you get arrested in groups they'll likely put you in front of the judge together (which will lead to arresting officer confusion and dismissal of charges), but still, not worth it.

badger
11/15/2011, 11:59 AM
None were arrested last night.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111114_11_0_Aftera996780)

However, they just sliced off the Hydra's head last night so I fully expect every Occupy movement around the country to respond.

What the eff am I talking about? They cleared the NYC park.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20111115_13_0_NEWYOR688307)

Methinks this is going to enrage the Occupy movement and motivate them to plunk down another $300 in the name of solidarity (which, once again, I highly discourage for all of the above listed reasons).

Trophy Husband
11/15/2011, 02:34 PM
isn't it about time those folks went back to work, that is if any of them are actually employed.

SoonerLaw09
11/15/2011, 04:44 PM
I think we should occupy Slapout.

soonercruiser
11/15/2011, 11:54 PM
isn't it about time those folks went back to work, that is if any of them are actually employed.

As soon as the SEIU, Soros, and the other unions stop feeding them.

badger
11/16/2011, 09:03 AM

I've heard they're "working" shifts at the park to ensure there's always someone there and that they initially were getting arrested or not based on if they had work the next morning.

More here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20111116_11_A18_Member109599)

They apparently voted as a group to stop getting arrested, but some decided to anyway a few nights ago (Sunday I think).

As that update says, they're on the verge of filing some lawsuit fun after tort claims (damaged tent and contents... and a driver's license)

badger
11/17/2011, 02:17 PM
Just for your OKC losers, an Occupy OKC update:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20111117_12_0_OKLAHO634577)

Yes, it appears that Oklahoma City was able to do something that an Occupy organization no place else anywhere was able to do: Cut a deal to camp overnight and protest.

According to the article, the city and protesters were able to make this deal under the condition that they pay the permit fee for park use (something Occupy Tulsa wanted waived), obey rules and keep the park clean.

While some reportedly said there was drug and alcohol use and unsanitary conditions, officials said that the protest was peaceful.

So, congrats OKC. You are gonna be the only "Occupy" in the country where they actually "occupy" 24/7 :P

KABOOKIE
11/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Whatever happened to a good old hunger strike as a protest?

badger
11/17/2011, 04:59 PM
People get hungry eventually :)

And now, Occupy Tulsa update:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20111117_14_0_Occupy50098)

The protesters allege that police did not return property they took from nine of the 10 who were arrested Nov. 2 for violating the city's 11 p.m. curfew at downtown’s H.A. Chapman Centennial Green.

The items range in value from a driver’s license to a tent, spokesmen for the group said.

The tort claims will also assert that officers’ use of pepper spray on five protesters that morning was excessive and that authorities refused to clean the residue off their faces for several hours despite complaints that it made breathing difficult, the spokesman said.

Damages sought? $30 to $500 :)