PDA

View Full Version : So what's this big announcement?

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2011, 12:38 PM
Supposedly Coach Kruger is making a "big announcement" today. Any idea what it was/is?

NormanPride
11/3/2011, 12:43 PM
The Reserve on Stinson will pay 100 of the 140 fee for student tickets... therefore making student tickets only $40

Jay C. Upchurch
11/3/2011, 12:44 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- The price of Oklahoma men's basketball season tickets for OU students for the 2011-12 season has been reduced from $140 to $40, and the cost of single-game tickets has been cut to $5. That announcement was made by OU head coach Lon Kruger Thursday at noon in front of OU students at the Oklahoma Memorial Union food court.

The price reduction is the result of a men's and women's basketball student section title sponsorship by The Reserve on Stinson, in cooperation with Sooner Sports Properties. The Reserve on Stinson has also agreed to offer a number of additional benefits to student ticket holders, including a $100 prize at each men's and women's game, an iPad giveaway at one men's and women's game, and a night of Pizza Hut pizza at one men's and women's game.

"A loud and energetic student section is one of the most important ingredients to a team's success at home," said Kruger, "so important that we are making this significant change. We have been on campus talking to our students and we have heard them loud and clear that pricing is a challenge. We're grateful for the Reserve on Stinson's commitment to the basketball programs and we hope our students take advantage of this special opportunity to purchase a heavily reduced season ticket and make their presence known at games."

All students who already committed to purchase a season ticket at the previous $140 price will be charged $40 instead. A special event for those students will also be announced in the coming weeks.

"As our staff has been communicating to our fans since our arrival in April, this is 'our team,' said Kruger. "Our players have been working extremely hard, they're improving day by day and are anxious for everyone -- especially their fellow students -- to experience a fun season at the Lloyd Noble Center."

To purchase a men's basketball season ticket, OU students should click on the tickets link on SoonerSports.com.

The men's basketball team's exhibition game against Washburn this Sunday at 2 p.m. is free to OU students with a valid school I.D. (use lower north entrance).

OU SID Report

badger
11/3/2011, 12:57 PM
This is great news. Of course, womens tix were already free, but it's a nice gesture.

Has anyone gotten any word of any planned student section fun for this season? I missed that at the first home game. I didn't hardly see any students (or anyone else) around on Tuesday :(

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2011, 01:03 PM
Awesome. Heh. Season tickets were $35 back in the 90s.

Alabama tickets are free for students. With JaMychal Green and Trever Releford coming back, and Trevor Lacey coming in, should be a good year.

Boomer.....
11/3/2011, 01:56 PM
Awesome news! Hopefully this will create a much needed boost of excitement for the men's team. The students need to cheer extra loud to offset all of the blue hairs in the lower bowl.

badger
11/3/2011, 02:02 PM
Regardless of whose butt is in a seat, they need butts in seats. There were only about 3k at the first game. What I find most amusing is that they have an "attendance" figure and an "estimated attendance" figure. Attendance = 6k. Estimated attendance = 3k. Heh. (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/11-01-11.html)

I checked the box score for the women... apparently the estimated attendance was about the same for the womens game, except there appeared to be a lot more people there. Hmmm... wonder why. OH YEAH! The lower bowl. CALL THE YELLOW SHIRTS OFF, JOE!!!!!!!!!

It is worth repeating:
CALL THE YELLOW SHIRTS OFF, JOE!!!!!!!!!

jumperstop
11/3/2011, 02:15 PM
Too bad I'm not a student I would just spend the 40 bucks to have the tickets whether or not I planned on using them....Oh well. I'll spend my basketball money on the Thunder when they start playing again...

badger
11/3/2011, 04:40 PM
Too bad I'm not a student I would just spend the 40 bucks to have the tickets whether or not I planned on using them....Oh well. I'll spend my basketball money on the Thunder when they start playing again...

I would totally spend $5 to sponsor a student to be a proxy... we could have him wear a crimson "SOONERFANS.COM" shirt and require him (or her) to be the craziest fan in attendance in return for the free ticket.

I wonder if the athletic department could offer such an option? "Send a poor student to the game for free." We could call it a scholarship program :D

Boomer.....
11/3/2011, 08:14 PM
I would totally spend $5 to sponsor a student to be a proxy... we could have him wear a crimson "SOONERFANS.COM" shirt and require him (or her) to be the craziest fan in attendance in return for the free ticket.

I wonder if the athletic department could offer such an option? "Send a poor student to the game for free." We could call it a scholarship program :D

I don't think OU accepts vCash.

Serge Ibaka
11/3/2011, 08:30 PM
Students didn't go to OU games because of the pricing.

It's true.

It would be best to reduce pricing for general public.

badger
11/4/2011, 02:34 PM
Students didn't go to OU games because of the pricing.

It's true.

It would be best to reduce pricing for general public.

There's other reasons too --- it's a lot easier to get to the stadium than to LNC if you live on campus.

I wish they would reduce general public pricing also, but last time I attended, wasn't it only like $8 for sitting upstairs, anyway?

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 02:59 PM
There's other reasons too --- it's a lot easier to get to the stadium than to LNC if you live on campus.

I wish they would reduce general public pricing also, but last time I attended, wasn't it only like $8 for sitting upstairs, anyway?

I may have to go to a game if they're only 8 dollars. But then again the Thunder are only $10. I just have trouble supporting college bb. It seems the product is significantly weaker than it has been in previous years. All the halfway decent players head to the pros after one year whether they actually have a shot or not. Most of them probably just end up living back at momma's house and should have stayed in college while they could have. Games like last years NCG where it was 20-18 at halftime...are you ****ing kidding me? Make more shots and maybe I'll watch more. I might watch college football less if the qb's could only complete the same percentage on passes that basketball players complete fg.....

badger
11/4/2011, 03:01 PM
OK I checked general admission ticket prices. These non-conference crappy opponent games are $5 for everyone. Arkansas and conference opponents are $5 for kids and $10 for adults. These are the cheapest level of tix.

Not too bad.

Sooner95
11/4/2011, 05:03 PM
Wow, that's great!

badger
11/4/2011, 05:46 PM
Here's a link for mens bball tix. (http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetGroupList?groupCode=MB&linkID=ou&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=)

The URL looks weird, so just in case that doesn't work, here's the main page. (http://www.soonersports.com/tickets/okla-tickets.html)

soonervegas
11/5/2011, 12:03 PM
I bet there are 7000+ this Friday. I just don't think people, myself included, can get jacked up about exhibition games.

I know I will be bringing a 4 some....