PDA

View Full Version : 2012

IronHorseSooner
11/2/2011, 02:47 PM
I know we still have a shot this year, but am I the only one who looks at 2012 as the best shot at a MNC? Here's why:

On Offense:

1. 5th-yr Sr QB who should be the favorite to win the Heisman with two decent back-up QBs
2. Experienced RBs (1 Sr.- Whaley, 4 Jrs- Finch, Clay, Millard, Musil, along with B. Williams)
3. 3 Jr WRs with starting experience and a load of incoming talent
4. 8 returners in our two-deep on the OL (3 Srs- Habern, Evans, Johnson, 3 Jrs- Ikard, Irwin, Woods, 2 RS-SOs- Dar. Williams, Shead) along with some really big dudes (Thompson, Farniok, and Dismuke) to step in.

The weakness- TE. If Haywood can keep his head on straight, he could be a star. Also, we hear good things about Max Stevenson.

On Defense:

1. 6 Srs on the DL (King, The Hammer, Washington, Walker, McGee, MacFarland)
2. 3 Jr starters (Wort, Nelson, Jefferson) backed up by 3 Srs (Bird, D. Franklin, Ibo)
3. 3 Srs (Hurst, J. Harris, and L. Harris), 2 Jrs (Colvin, Lynn)

The weakness- depth in the secondary. We really need for Lynn, Powell, and Wilson to continue to improve.

Specials:

1. 2 Sr kickers (P- Way, KO- O'Hara) and Hunnicutt gets more time as the starter
2. KR- Whaley, Clay, and Franks

The weakness- return game. Can Stills replace RB on PRs? Can we break a KR? Will our coverage game improve?

I am convinced that in 2012 we will, again, be the preseason #1, as we bring back the most experienced team in the country.

rekamrettuB
11/2/2011, 02:48 PM
Well the world is going to end prior to that NC game...not real interested in next year.

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 02:51 PM
A lot will depend on what Landry does. But, I think our overall offense will be better (assuming he comes back). The defensive side of the ball is what I'm not sure about. They've been so Jekyll and Hyde this year, maybe that changes.

I know I'll be just as excited next year as I was this year.

DrZaius
11/2/2011, 02:51 PM
Well the world is going to end prior to that NC game...not real interested in next year.

Nibiru

JLEW1818
11/2/2011, 02:52 PM
we play at Texas Tech in 2012

nuff said

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 02:57 PM

nuff said

We'll just use the proven Iowa State method of beating them. Not sure what that is yet...but it works.

rock on sooner
11/2/2011, 03:11 PM
Obviously, this season isn't over and I think that Landry and Whitney will be together for their senior season. There is still a way outside
chance we get to the NC game this year but if that does happen then we will be going for #9 in 2012. I'm only slightly looking through
crimson colored glasses!

rekamrettuB
11/2/2011, 03:15 PM
We'll just use the proven Iowa State method of beating them. Not sure what that is yet...but it works.

Well OU would have to schedule them back to back and throw the 1st game.

primetime43
11/2/2011, 03:29 PM
I'm worried "the Hammer" is gone after this year.

OUNASH
11/2/2011, 03:47 PM
I'm worried "the Hammer" is gone after this year.

True losing "The Hammer" would be tough, but I hear (Geano) sp. Grissom is going to be a stud. Seems like we always have a great defensive end or ends. I thought before this year that 2012 would be the best shot at a National Championship. There is still hope for this year.

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 04:07 PM
True losing "The Hammer" would be tough, but I hear (Geano) sp. Grissom is going to be a stud. Seems like we always have a great defensive end or ends. I thought before this year that 2012 would be the best shot at a National Championship. There is still hope for this year.

Grissom is Ryan Broyles doppelganger. He's gonna be the Ryan Broyles of the defense.

(The first few times I saw Grissom on the sidelines, I think "Broyles is bigger than I thought!").

jumperstop
11/2/2011, 04:08 PM
We're already looking forward to next season? I was still enjoying this one.... :(

oudavid1
11/2/2011, 04:25 PM
I know we still have a shot this year, but am I the only one who looks at 2012 as the best shot at a MNC? Here's why:

On Offense:

1. 5th-yr Sr QB who should be the favorite to win the Heisman with two decent back-up QBs Decent QBs win championships?
2. Experienced RBs (1 Sr.- Whaley, 4 Jrs- Finch, Clay, Millard, Musil, along with B. Williams) None of these guys have been over 1000 yds
3. 3 Jr WRs with starting experience and a load of incoming talent Stills, and then a bunch of receivers with a combined 4 tds.
4. 8 returners in our two-deep on the OL (3 Srs- Habern, Evans, Johnson, 3 Jrs- Ikard, Irwin, Woods, 2 RS-SOs- Dar. Williams, Shead) along with some really big dudes (Thompson, Farniok, and Dismuke) to step in. Agreed

The weakness- TE. If Haywood can keep his head on straight, he could be a star. Also, we hear good things about Max Stevenson.

On Defense:

1. 6 Srs on the DL (King, The Hammer, Washington, Walker, McGee, MacFarland) Ronnell will not be back, King has mad little noise.
2. 3 Jr starters (Wort, Nelson, Jefferson) backed up by 3 Srs (Bird, D. Franklin, Ibo) Good, not great
3. 3 Srs (Hurst, J. Harris, and L. Harris), 2 Jrs (Colvin, Lynn) Hurst might not stay, Javon is decent, no one has seen Lamar this year

The weakness- depth in the secondary. We really need for Lynn, Powell, and Wilson to continue to improve.

Specials:

1. 2 Sr kickers (P- Way, KO- O'Hara) and Hunnicutt gets more time as the starter
2. KR- Whaley, Clay, and Franks

The weakness- return game. Can Stills replace RB on PRs? Can we break a KR? Will our coverage game improve?

I am convinced that in 2012 we will, again, be the preseason #1, as we bring back the most experienced team in the country.

We will be good. But this year was a better year for a title run hands down. I would love to be wrong. But I just dont see that happening.

Peach Fuzz
11/2/2011, 04:36 PM
Yes decent QBs win championships... Bama and lsu ring a bell?

soonercoop1
11/2/2011, 04:46 PM
Same D...never happens...

Rocko
11/2/2011, 05:14 PM
Landry will not be back next year.

tfoolry
11/2/2011, 06:03 PM
We're Oklahoma and will be in the mix for NC every year. Best team on paper doesn't always win due to injuries and luck. I plan on being at the game Sat. to witness the Sooners beat down the preseason "some are saying this '11 Aggie team will be the best offense of all time" as they deserve an appropriate send off to SEC. BOOMER!

Sco
11/2/2011, 06:08 PM

nuff said

With the conference realignment, maybe Tech will get stuck playing in Norman three straight years!

.....a guy can dream, can't he?

oudavid1
11/4/2011, 12:32 PM

Ok you have a point. I should have pointed out that those teams have almost of their talent on defense with the exception of Ruben Randle (LSU) and of course Trent Richardson(Alabama). But, I will say, Greg McElroy was drafted and Matt Moch(Spell?) was older so wasnt a big pro prospect. And in 2007 Matt Flynn (LSU) is playing in pros right now. Drew Allen and Blake Bell have zero combined TD passes.

We're Oklahoma and will be in the mix for NC every year. Best team on paper doesn't always win due to injuries and luck. I plan on being at the game Sat. to witness the Sooners beat down the preseason "some are saying this '11 Aggie team will be the best offense of all time" as they deserve an appropriate send off to SEC. BOOMER!

I would agree.

badger
11/4/2011, 12:45 PM

Playing in Lubbock? Scoring more points? Not having an astronomical weather delay beforehand? Not having key starters out?

:mad:

CowboyMRW
11/4/2011, 01:18 PM
With the conference realignment, maybe Tech will get stuck playing in Norman three straight years!

.....a guy can dream, can't he?

Maybe OU can come to Stillwater for 3 straight years :D

SoonerMarkVA
11/4/2011, 01:25 PM
The two things that will have to come together, however it happens, for us to get back:

(1) We must get back to playing 2000-2003 defense. I don't know what that takes, but it must happen. Our defense being middle-of-the-pack as it has for a while now won't be good enough.

(2) We must have a dominant O-line. Given the apparent seniority and depth we look to have next year, we have a good chance to shore this up. But that means we must be able to move the line on obvious running downs.

We get those two things, and yeah, we're in great shape.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/4/2011, 01:47 PM
When was the last time we didn't have good to great DE play?

Needs -> Plug and Play juco MLB, DT (doubt it will happen, but i can dream)

EatLeadCommie
11/4/2011, 01:52 PM
Even assuming everybody comes back, it's going to be the same crap, different year. I do not have faith that this coaching staff can keep a team focused for an entire year. We'll compete, yeah. We can win the BXII, yeah. But we aren't winning anymore NCs anytime soon.

PLaw
11/4/2011, 02:14 PM
Same D...never happens...

Offense has never been the problem. Most years, we hand 30+ pts per game. We are the poster child for "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS".

BOOMER

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 02:49 PM
Offense has never been the problem. Most years, we hand 30+ pts per game. We are the poster child for "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS".

BOOMER

Please explain how the D caused KW goal line play calling to suck in the 08 NCG. We had a pretty good D that year, not great and we could have easily won the championship if not for bonehead KW....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/4/2011, 02:59 PM
Even assuming everybody comes back, it's going to be the same crap, different year. I do not have faith that this coaching staff can keep a team focused for an entire year. We'll compete, yeah. We can win the BXII, yeah. But we aren't winning anymore NCs anytime soon.

This is just silly. It isn't the coaching staff that has to keep the players focused, its leadership amongst the players that keep them focused. This is true for any team out there. The question you have to ask is whether this coaching staff can put together one recruiting class that can assemble enough difference makers to push us over the edge for a National Title.

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 02:59 PM
When was the last time we didn't have good to great DE play?

Needs -> Plug and Play juco MLB, DT (doubt it will happen, but i can dream)

We'll need a go-to guy at WR. Stills and Jaz are great, but it would be great to get a DGB or Metoyer if they pan out. Also, we have a couple physical freak freshmen at DT that came in late so they're not playing. Maybe we see some talent there?

Meh, at least we get everyone back at DT.

Also, I get a Malcolm Kelly feeling with Travis Lewis as far as leadership goes. I just hope Stills doesn't turn into Lewis 2.0, because then it's a culture and I don't like that kind of culture here at OU...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/4/2011, 03:06 PM
We'll need a go-to guy at WR. Stills and Jaz are great, but it would be great to get a DGB or Metoyer if they pan out. Also, we have a couple physical freak freshmen at DT that came in late so they're not playing. Maybe we see some talent there?

We'll be more effective (not better) at WR next year than this year assuming we can get through the first 2-3 games. Thats because our QB won't have a favorite target and will spread the ball around more (i hope).

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 03:14 PM
But Jones is a NFL QB. He's better when he has a go-to target. :D

But I still contend that our biggest problem this year is student leadership. We don't have a Dusty D or a Torrence M, let alone a Calmus or Roy to be the heart of the D. I thought that losing Box would make the D play with their hair on fire the whole year, but obviously it didn't work...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/4/2011, 03:43 PM

But I still contend that our biggest problem this year is student leadership. We don't have a Dusty D or a Torrence M, let alone a Calmus or Roy to be the heart of the D. I thought that losing Box would make the D play with their hair on fire the whole year, but obviously it didn't work...

Yeah, that was my point about the coaches motivating the kids to win a national championship. Geez, all you have to look at is 2005 for all the proof against coaches you could ever need. It comes from the players, not the coaches.

soonercoop1
11/4/2011, 04:55 PM
Please explain how the D caused KW goal line play calling to suck in the 08 NCG. We had a pretty good D that year, not great and we could have easily won the championship if not for bonehead KW....

and he is no longer at OU...D wins the MNC and OU hasn't had that caliber a D except once in the last 7-8 years...

silverwheels
11/4/2011, 05:56 PM

Their defenses show up to play every game and beat the hell out of the opposing offenses, while their running game is effective enough to limit the chances of the game being on the QB's shoulders.

Maybe OU can come to Stillwater for 3 straight years :D

Seeing as how OU has historically fared better against OSU in Stillwater than in Norman, that's not as good a thing for OSU as you might think, other than it keeps most of us stoopid goonerz from seeing the game live.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/4/2011, 06:10 PM
Total Defense Rankings

2003 - 3 National Champion - 1
2004 - 8 National Champion - 6
2005 - 13 National Champion - 10
2006 - 16 National Champion - 6
2007 - 26 National Champion - 3
2008 - 68 National Champion - 9
2009 - 8 National Champion - 2
2010 - 53 National Champion - 60

Pre-Your Cutoff Period

2002 - 10 National Champion - 23
2001 - 4 National Champion - 6
1999 - 39 National Champion - 19

The point of this is that a defense in the top 10 is generally enough to win a national championship, though there are some oddities with very effective offenses that have done it (FSU99/Auburn2010) and whatever you'd classify Ohio State as in 2002.

The funny thing about these numbers is that they are totally affected by linebacker play.

soonercastor
11/4/2011, 06:13 PM
I swear there was a thread like this last year for sure.

OUNASH
11/4/2011, 08:16 PM

Also, I get a Malcolm Kelly feeling with Travis Lewis as far as leadership goes. I just hope Stills doesn't turn into Lewis 2.0, because then it's a culture and I don't like that kind of culture here at OU...

Stills is already at that point pof taking plays off. Look at his last three games. I think that is why they rotated recievers more last week. This might be a wake up call for Mr. Stills.

SoonerGibb7
11/4/2011, 08:37 PM

Chuka Ndulue is our best DE that doesn't play right now.

StoopTroup
11/4/2011, 09:35 PM

Landry is gone. Lewis isn't a leader. These two things have different outcomes. Landry's numbers don't lie and if he takes the Money and get's his Rookie Season out of the Way so his Wife's WNBA Rookie Season isn't a Distraction for his Rookie Season....they will be well off for a couple of newlyweds.

Lewis....It would be cool if he'd become a leader between now and the end of the Season. It would probably be a good idea for him to start this weekend so he might have a shot at playing in the NFL as a special teams player.